Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Surprised this was never posted yet.

https://www.hobbyconsolas.com/lista...mus-returns-entrevista-yoshio-sakamoto-279253

Unfortunately, the interview is in Spanish, but looking at it through Google Translate, here's some of the more interesting tidbits:

• The lack of a 2D Metroid on DS was because the console lacked the technical specifcations that Sakamoto had in mind for a new game
  • There were lots of sound effects taken from the Prime games because Sakamoto felt they fit the game. Were not taken just for the sake of it.
  • Ridley showing up as a boss at the end was MercurySteam's idea
  • Sakamoto explains that 2D Metroid and Metroid Prime are essentially their own different sagas, with no direct link within their stories. When the Prime games started development, Sakamoto and the producers of the latter agreed to preserve the timelines together and have some sort of minimum consistenty, but also be free to create the games they felt were appropriate and avoid doing anything that would coerce the other.
  • No plans for remakes of Super Metroid or Metroid Fusion
  • Comments regarding the secret 2d/10 Chozo Memory: "[it] is implying something, but I would like you all to try to find out what it is for now!"
  • Overall is proud to have worked with MercurySteam to create a well received Metroid game
I really hope another 2D game is in the works. Need to know what happens after Fusion!!!

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, and Ganon connects all Zelda games to the same timeline. /s
Um, have you played the game? Ridley is literally a form of meta ridley with less metal parts, and his theme is a meta ridley remix. This directly connects and shows how meta ridley went back to regular ridley for super metroid.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Um, have you played the game? Ridley is literally a form of meta ridley with less metal parts, and his theme is a meta ridley remix. This directly connects and shows how meta ridley went back to regular ridley for super metroid.
MP3 did that? I remember blasting Omega Ridley to kingdom come (or meta Ridley, I really can't remember) and I don't remember ever feeling like "ah, so this is how he becomes as he is in Super",
All this said, it's more the principle that matters. If there's a way to canonize seamlessly between Prime and Super then that's just neat. However, when Sakamoto or any other non-Retro person says there wasn't any planned story between them, I'm totally fine with the notion that there's two canons because I always felt Super, Fusion and Other M had an entirely more cartoony and obviously japanese style.

Super is the most Prime out of the bunch but I've come to see it more with Other M and Fusion as a canon (hint: I think all 3 underwhelm narratively) and Prime always felt like a "what if Super Metroid was 3D" game to me.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
MP3 did that? I remember blasting Omega Ridley to kingdom come (or meta Ridley, I really can't remember) and I don't remember ever feeling like "ah, so this is how he becomes as he is in Super",
All this said, it's more the principle that matters. If there's a way to canonize seamlessly between Prime and Super then that's just neat. However, when Sakamoto or any other non-Retro person says there wasn't any planned story between them, I'm totally fine with the notion that there's two canons because I always felt Super, Fusion and Other M had an entirely more cartoony and obviously japanese style.

Super is the most Prime out of the bunch but I've come to see it more with Other M and Fusion as a canon (hint: I think all 3 underwhelm narratively) and Prime always felt like a "what if Super Metroid was 3D" game to me.

They weren't talking about prime 3.

During the final boss of Samus returns, he turns up with the last of his meta ridley parts from the prim series, has the meta ridley theme as his boss fight, and then sheds the last parts off screen after the boss fight to head off to the fight at the space station of the start of Super metroid.

edit: I imagined the shedding was shown in a cutscene, misremembered it

Last edited:

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

Omega ridley is meta ridley with phazon, but still all the meta parts, maybe more. Now we don't know how prime 4 will factor in, but yea. It's a legit thing that canonizes it. Not to mention diggernaut having spider rails only from the prime games.

Either way, prime games are all the same canon. Other m also had the seeker missiles.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I hope that Metroid producers keep ignoring what western fans says, for the sake of their owm mental health.

I do wonder if Nintendo assigned more work for Mercury team already.

There is any comments about how much it sold?

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017

Yea they were talking about Samus Returns but it is worth mentioning now that we're talking about Prime 3 is that the phazon inside Omega Ridley pretty much enhanced his already crazy regenerating properties canonized in the manga. It's also not hard to believe he came back after how many times Dark Samus willed herself back into existence with her phazon properties after she was seemingly destroyed everytime.

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
User Warned: port begging
Obligatory "We need this on Switch" post

I mean it'd be nice, I'd definitely pick it up then

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I hope that Metroid producers keep ignoring what western fans says, for the sake of their owm mental health.

I do wonder if Nintendo assigned more work for Mercury team already.

There is any comments about how much it sold?

I don't think we have any comments on it, no. Sub a million, I think, but that doesn't mean it was terrible sales.

It was only one position behind Mario + rabbids for september NPD (though M+R launched at the tail end of the previous month) and above the sales of MK8D and BOTW for that month, so it did alright.

I'm quite sure if we get another 2D metroid, Mercury will be the team doing the development for it. Let's hope.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Sakamoto just recently released Samus Returns though

And Tanabe...was just recently responsible for this:

VlafPAeysgOmUxb-800x450-noPad.jpg

Tanabe was the man in charge for the Prime Trilogy and he did 3 masterpieces one after the other, also, he didnt sell Federation Force like the next main entry in the franchise, it was just an experiment which I'm totally fine with.

Now for those pandering that Sakamoto is back just because of Samus Returns: the game was a REMAKE, the blueprint was already there and I seriously doubt Nintendo would let him put his shitty version of Samus in there, even if he wanted to. Samus Returns being a beefy, juicy, delicious game proves one thing: that Mercury Steam can do a good game under the right management (not Sakamoto).

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
It's a shame that Mercury Steam recommended the Ridley fight at the end. Along with the perfunctory powerup collection with the baby Metroid, it kinda ruined one of the few good things about the original.

Yuuup. I really disliked all of the new bosses they added. I'm also sick of having to deal with Ridley in every. Single. Game.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tanabe was the man in charge for the Prime Trilogy and he did 3 masterpieces one after the other, also, he didnt sell Federation Force like the next main entry in the franchise, it was just an experiment which I'm totally fine with.

Now for those pandering that Sakamoto is back just because of Samus Returns: the game was a REMAKE, the blueprint was already there and I seriously doubt Nintendo would let him put his shitty version of Samus in there, even if he wanted to. Samus Returns being a beefy, juicy, delicious game proves one thing: that Mercury Steam can do a good game under the right management (not Sakamoto).

Agreed on Tanabe in his works on Prime but for the rest, Sakamoto is literally Executive officer of EPD (Like, who's Nintendo in first place? If there's a 2D Metroid it's because he's the one cheering for it) and was the only producer of the game. For any way, Sakamoto was the one managing the game and team and approving many decisions at the same time that he was also doing his own decisions as well.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So, despite Sakomoto being the head here and the clear upgrade Samus Returns is when compared to Castlevannia, it most definitely is not Sakamoto's help because apparently we still hold a grudge.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
I respect Sakamoto for creating my favorite Nintendo IP but if he could stay away from it from now on it would be for the best.

Let Tanabe take reign of Metroid, Retro had better understanding of Samus and Metroid in general than todays Sakamoto, as demonstrated with that shit stain called Other M.

Yeah, Tanabe had a better understanding of Metroid and Samus. We all saw that with Federation Force.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Omega ridley is meta ridley with phazon, but still all the meta parts, maybe more. Now we don't know how prime 4 will factor in, but yea. It's a legit thing that canonizes it. Not to mention diggernaut having spider rails only from the prime games.

Either way, prime games are all the same canon. Other m also had the seeker missiles.
I already don't expect Prime 4 to be canonically linked to any previous Prime game, maybe not even the classics.

Knowing Tanabe though, I fully expect some Lego Bionicles or Federation canon though.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
S
  • Comments regarding the secret 2d/10 Chozo Memory: "[it] is implying something, but I would like you all to try to find out what it is for now!"
Good that they're implying it's leading to more. Could help them finally get out of that issue they got with Metroid 5 being against the Federation, and even FF's ending tried to go out from that.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

This entire post is an embarrassment with ridiculous assumptions, Sakamoto did three masterpieces too, and that's just his Metroid work. He also was absolutely involved in SR.

Some of you need to get the fuck over Other M.

Jan 11, 2018
We still don't know official Samus Returns sales do we? I really hope it did well enough to warrent Metroid V. I've been waiting 16 years :(. Samus Returns was a damn fine game, and they did it in only two years! Imagine what kind of 2D Metroid they could make with a 3 year dev cycle on Switch...

OP
OP
TheDinoman

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
We still don't know official Samus Returns sales do we? I really hope it did well enough to warrent Metroid V. I've been waiting 16 years :(. Samus Returns was a damn fine game, and they did it in only two years! Imagine what kind of 2D Metroid they could make with a 3 year dev cycle on Switch...

All we know is that Nintendo called it and Fire Emblem Echoes' sales figures as "firm" in a press release a little while back. So I guess it sold well enough.

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
I kind of hoping Samus returns comes to the Switch though. I think the game would be amazing on the Switch, and would give Mercury Stream the experience with the Switch they need and the game could run at 60FPS due to the superior hardware. I didn't dislike Other M, I like the gameplay and how was playing like she has been shown to be in the campaign.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's worth nothing that this is part 3 of a series of interviews about the making of the game, there's a 4th one coming up too.

Overall that was a nice read, the way he talks heavily implies that he plans to or is already working on Metroid 5 with MercurySteam and that the game did decently, which is awesome news to me. I loved SR and I'm super eager to see what the team can do without being restrained by having to develop a remake.

He confirms the obvious too, that the reason they went for so long without a non-Prime game was the lack of a team to make one, so I really doubt they'll let MS go.

Honestly I don't like Sakamoto much and don't think I ever will, but he's great at what he does provided he doesn't have absolute freedom and I have no issues with him continuing to be at the helm of the series, especially if he works with MS.

By the way, I'm super glad he straight up denied the idea of remaking more games. The Fusion remake speculation based on the ending was so dumb. Not to mention I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want more remakes instead of a new game after so long.
No it wasn't. Ridley doesn't have to be every damn game.
I get being tired of him, personally I've been rolling my eyes every time he shows up since Fusion, but I felt this was the one time it was for the better and even "needed", particularly because of Other M. I'd be okay without seeing him again tho lol, but with Smash adding him, who knows.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
It's worth nothing that this is part 3 of a series of interviews about the making of the game, there's a 4th one coming up too.

Overall that was a nice read, the way he talks heavily implies that he plans to or is already working on Metroid 5 with MercurySteam and that the game did decently, which is awesome news to me. I loved SR and I'm super eager to see what the team can do without being restrained by having to develop a remake.

He confirms the obvious too, that the reason they went for so long without a non-Prime game was the lack of a team to make one, so I really doubt they'll let MS go.

Honestly I don't like Sakamoto much and don't think I ever will, but he's great at what he does provided he doesn't have absolute freedom and I have no issues with him continuing to be at the helm of the series, especially if he works with MS.

By the way, I'm super glad he straight up denied the idea of remaking more games. The Fusion remake speculation based on the ending was so dumb. Not to mention I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want more remakes instead of a new game after so long.
I get being tired of him, personally I've been rolling my eyes every time he shows up since Fusion, but I felt this was the one time it was for the better and even "needed", particularly because of Other M. I'd be okay without seeing him again tho lol, but with Smash adding him, who knows.

When has Sakamoto not had absolute freedom? Guy's been the basically indisputable head of 2d metroid since Super. There was nothing reigning him in with any of his games. Hell, there's nothing reigning him in now.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When has Sakamoto not had absolute freedom? Guy's been the basically indisputable head of 2d metroid since Super. There was nothing reigning him in with any of his games. Hell, there's nothing reigning him in now.
This is only speculation based on credits from the games he's worked on, but while he's had key ones in every Metroid he's been part of, the only one where he's been both director and producer is Other M.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
This entire post is an embarrassment with ridiculous assumptions, Sakamoto did three masterpieces too, and that's just his Metroid work. He also was absolutely involved in SR.

Some of you need to get the fuck over Other M.

The only embarrassment here is Other M Samus.

You say we should get over Other M, the reason I can't do that is because Metroid as a franchise can't have the luxury of having shit games released, critically acclaimed games have not sold that well and releasing another bad main line entry could be get the IP shelved for DECADES before Nintendo decides to bring it back.

Whatever happens, Sakamoto or Tanabe I just want the games to be good and have a new one every 2 or 3 years, 2D and 3D can take turns, just give something to play with my favorite bounty hunter.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only embarrassment here is Other M Samus.

You say we should get over Other M, the reason I can't do that is because Metroid as a franchise can't have the luxury of having shit games released, critically acclaimed games have not sold that well and releasing another bad main line entry could be get the IP shelved for DECADES before Nintendo decides to bring it back.

The reason why you never got another Metroid games for years is because you caused such a horrible ruckus, no one at Nintendo wanted to touch that IP with a ten foot pole. Hell, the only reason why we're getting Metroid games again is because of the the two people you seem determined to despise no matter what.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017

Why do Mercurysteam get the credit for Samus Returns being good but Tanabe gets the credit for Metroid Prime?

Apr 21, 2018
I didn't know Ridley was in Samus Returns, and I'm still playing it, so that was a bit of a spoiler. But I guess I'm always a year behind on it, so I'm not too bothered.

Sakamoto's notes about the Metroid timeline makes sense to me. I've never taken too much time to piece together timelines for games like Metroid or Zelda. For Metroid I just perceive them as individual missions, the continuity between storylines is very lose and doesn't seem to ever affect the contained story in the game. Honestly, a lack of continuity is fine with me. As for Zelda, I just perceive each new Zelda as a new retelling of a similar legend.

People get so wrapped up in timelines.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I don't mind Samus Returns, it's serviceable but as Metroid II, it's probably the 2nd biggest insult to Metroid (faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar above Other M, like not even on the same planet).
Hopefully we can forget about the apology letter this was and the next game does something else than just retread Zebes or SR388.
The reason why you never got another Metroid games for years is because you caused such a horrible ruckus, no one at Nintendo wanted to touch that IP with a ten foot pole. Hell, the only reason why we're getting Metroid games again is because of the the two people you seem determined to despise no matter what.
Dude, the game sold like radioactive crap.
People bemoaned Wii sports and Wiifit, we still got Resort, Club, Fit+ and FitU.
They only stopped because they managed to make them not sell.

Don't blame Nintendo looking at the sales prospect of Metroid after a meteoritic disaster killed their profit on people being vocal on forums.
Heck seriously we even got interviews of Team Ninja saying basically "story is not our fault, blame Nintendo", if the game had anything resembling success that is not what they would have said during interviews.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind Samus Returns, it's serviceable but as Metroid II, it's probably the 2nd biggest insult to Metroid (faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar above Other M, like not even on the same planet).
Hopefully we can forget about the apology letter this was and the next game does something else than just retread Zebes or SR388.

Dude, the game sold like radioactive crap.
People bemoaned Wii sports and Wiifit, we still got Resort, Club, Fit+ and FitU.
They only stopped because they managed to make them not sell.

Don't blame Nintendo looking at the sales prospect of Metroid after a meteoritic disaster killed their profit on people being vocal on forums.
Heck seriously we even got interviews of Team Ninja saying basically "story is not our fault, blame Nintendo", if the game had anything resembling success that is not what they would have said during interviews.

Yeah yeah, Sakomoto ran over your dog so he can never be forgiven. Also really? 2nd biggest insult to Metroid? Is that our new barameter of Metroid now? How much I hate this game? If this causes you to do this, why even play them?

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
  • No plans for remakes of Super Metroid or Metroid Fusion
I'm glad about this. Super Metroid does not need a remake because, well, it's pretty damn close to perfection already.

• Overall is proud to have worked with MercurySteam to create a well received Metroid game
Sakamoto should be proud, he and MercurySteam did an incredible job. What impressed me about Samus Returns is that it feels so much more experimental than what I expected. The bosses particularly were completely unlike previous 2D Metroid bosses, and that made them very memorable.

I really hope we see another 2D Metroid game from them sometime to polish those concepts.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah yeah, Sakomoto ran over your dog so he can never be forgiven. Also really? 2nd biggest insult to Metroid? Is that our new barameter of Metroid now? How much I hate this game? If this causes you to do this, why even play them?
What are you talking about?
Other M was a disaster, it's not even debatable at this point. Why are you in a quest to clean it's image when we were all there to see how crappy it actually is and how badly it was received?

And Metroid Samus Returns is a good game but a bad Metroid II remake.
It takes everything from Metroid II, throw it out and replace it with something else.
The themes that were in M2 are lost and it does its best to try to be this mashup of Metroid tropes.
It's a fun game but if you even touched the original Metroid II on OGB you kind of the new game doesn't consider the old one at all.
It could have easily been a new game considering how little it takes from the original game.
The atmosphere is gone, the themes are gone and the point of the game is gone as well, it's kinda like having Terminator 1 remade in the style of Terminator 2.
Sure it might be a cool movie to watch but it's not even trying to be a remake at this point.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are you talking about?
Other M was a disaster, it's not even debatable at this point. Why are you in a quest to clean it's image when we were all there to see how crappy it actually is and how badly it was received?

And Metroid Samus Returns is a good game but a bad Metroid II remake.
It takes everything from Metroid II, throw it out and replace it with something else.
The themes that were in M2 are lost and it does its best to try to be this mashup of Metroid tropes.
It's a fun game but if you even touched the original Metroid II on OGB you kind of the new game doesn't consider the old one at all.
It could have easily been a new game considering how little it takes from the original game.
The atmosphere is gone, the themes are gone and the point of the game is gone as well, it's kinda like having Terminator 1 remade in the style of Terminator 2.
Sure it might be a cool movie to watch but it's not even trying to be a remake at this point.

I'm not on a quest to cleanse its image? I'm not making any argument about its quality. I'm arguing about this intense hatred you seem to have for the man to the point where we are now judging his latest work by how much it is an insult to the Metroid series.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I'm not on a quest to cleanse its image? I'm not making any argument about its quality. I'm arguing about this intense hatred you seem to have for the man to the point where we are now judging his latest work by how much it is an insult to the Metroid series.
Where the fuck do I show any hatred on Sakamoto in this thread?
If we were talking about the Other Monstrosity, sure.
Metroid Samus Returns is a fine game, it plays well, the level design is great and the bosses are entertaining.
It's just one of the worst remake of a game you can find.
It misses the point of the original game and has total disregard for everything the game tried to do.
It's a good game, a good Metroid game even, it's just a bad Metroid II game.
If this game is the worst we can expect from Sakamoto from now on, I'll be more than a happy customer.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
Wasn't it clear when Prime came out that it was Metroid 1.5 or something? So now they are saying they are just two different continuities now?

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Wasn't it clear when Prime came out that it was Metroid 1.5 or something? So now they are saying they are just two different continuities now?
You can thank Other M for that.
Then again that game is full of holes so who knows...
And yeah Metroid Prime was known as that side story between 1&2.
Since we never had anything like dates for when all the games happened it could easily fit without anyone being the wiser.
Then Other M happens and all go to hell.
Think Zelda timeline except this time it made immediate sense.
And now since Sakamoto is basically the "bible" on everything Metroid, Prime games are separate now.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can thank Other M for that.
Then again that game is full of holes so who knows...
And yeah Metroid Prime was known as that side story between 1&2.
Since we never had anything like dates for when all the games happened it could easily fit without anyone being the wiser.
Then Other M happens and all go to hell.
Think Zelda timeline except this time it made immediate sense.
And now since Sakamoto is basically the "bible" on everything Metroid, Prime games are separate now.

Except, like, Ridley is demonstrably still cybernetic right before the beginning of Super Metroid, which occurred in Metroid Prime. It's about as blatant a link between the games as can be.