• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
What cowards -- of course they'd fall back on the "censorship" excuse. Didn't have any interest in this game previously, but I'll be sure not to purchase any Voidpoint products from now on.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
We aren't going to censor the game from hateful slurs but please respect our need to keep our community forums clean from hateful messages.

Makes sense lol

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus. "sorry we put homophobic shit in our game.....actually scratch that we're not sorry after all lol"

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
We will absolutely NOT be censoring Ion Fury or any of our other games, now or in the future, including but not limited to by removing gags such as gaming's most controversial facial wash.

We do not support censorship of creative works of any kind and regret our initial decision to alter a sprite in the game instead of trusting our instincts. 3D Realms and Voidpoint stand together on this matter.

What really gets me is how ridiculously binary and reductive the whole narrative and framing surrounding censorship in games has become. Games as commercial products have creative decisions "censored" by external mandate (usually the publisher) all the time for countless different reasons, including whether something won't go over well with X demographic for Y reasons.

Oct 25, 2017
This is what I posted in the other thread, just reposting here:

I said this before, but I don't think many people really cared about that sprite. It was Voidpoint using their platform to spread hateful and transphobic messages (and what they discussed is a bad faith argument made to harm trans folk, it is hateful). Removing the leftover slur from the game, and everything else I think is the right thing to do. That sprite was just a lame joke to me that didn't land at best, and at worst was just indicative of larger issues at the studio with everything else going on.

So long as they are sincere with the rest of their previous statement, then I think it's ultimately fine, if not ideal. Though it's a shame they're acknowledging what is ultimately a concern troll on censorship by this type of crowd.
Yo if you think they're being sincere I got a bridge to sell you.

Look at the tone of this part of the statement:
We will absolutely NOT be censoring Ion Fury or any of our other games, now or in the future, including but not limited to by removing gags such as gaming's most controversial facial wash.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is what I posted in the other thread, just reposting here:

I said this before, but I don't think many people really cared about that sprite. It was Voidpoint using their platform to spread hateful and transphobic messages (and what they discussed is a bad faith argument made to harm trans folk, it is hateful). Removing the leftover slur from the game, and everything else I think is the right thing to do. That sprite was just a lame joke to me that didn't land at best, and at worst was just indicative of larger issues at the studio with everything else going on.

So long as they are sincere with the rest of their previous statement, then I think it's ultimately fine, if not ideal. Though it's a shame they're acknowledging what is ultimately a concern troll on censorship by this type of crowd.
I'm not going to believe that 3D Realms were sincere with their statement when they'll even walk back something as easy to do as changing a soap bottle's texture to appeal to the homophobes who are mad at them.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's strange to me because this isn't even really a matter of censoring something that's like....IMPLYING something bad, or something that people could argue over whether it's offensive or not.

This is just straight up offensive/homophobic stuff that they're standing their ground on for some reason, not a good look.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
So they're trying to appease their harassers that are review bombing the game on Steam over changing the OGAY soap bottles and the term "f*gbag" being hidden from general view of players?

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
It's strange to me because this isn't even really a matter of censoring something that's like....IMPLYING something bad, or something that people could argue over whether it's offensive or not.

This is just straight up offensive/homophobic stuff that they're standing their ground on for some reason, not a good look.
They are bigots. It's as simple as that.

Persagen

Oct 27, 2017
As others have said, they've made it clear which part of their audience matters more. Disgusting and disappointing. What a damn shame.

It's embarrassing and enfurating that this side of video game fandom has established such an influence in this industry. Makes me ashamed to openly express my lifelong love of gaming.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's just a childish pun, I can't see how anyone could get offended over it. The real meat of the offence over this game is based on the messages on discord which are insensitive/hateful as fuck. Pisses me off that a game as good as this is getting shit on for that reason.

Because is not only childish and inmature is also keeps the homophobic nature of "being gay" used as an insult or as a negative thing.

Is totally 80's/90's edgy humour that now simply is not even funny, is just wrong.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw what was censored. Fuck them.

I'm sorry but this is just homophobic stuff.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
i wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt with that apology. after this, fuck it. my morals are more important than the money i spent on this:
1SUvGtu.jpg

Jun 26, 2018
I though this was about done with, but a company digging their heels into the biggest pile of cow dung they can find is the most 2019 thing I can think of.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Weird how people get so passionate about homophobic content getting removed from a game as "censorship" but when a game literally has to get pulled from storefronts because it made fun of Xi Jinping these people don't seem to care.

grunkleFungus

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
NC, US
See, beyond all the bigotry, the jokes aren't funny. We stopped laughing at calling things gay in 2005, come join us in the modern era. I can write better ones in my sleep. God, if only someone could hand them a kid's jokebook, their humor might improve.

Oct 25, 2017
Can steam or Epic game store be convinced to remove their game for hate speech/propaganda?

Obviously these slurs are so important to the message of the game that removing them would be considered censorship. They absolutely should pull the game.

We aren't going to censor the game from hateful slurs but please respect our need to keep our community forums clean from hateful messages.

Makes sense lol

By hateful messages, I'm certain they just mean anyone speaking out against bigotry.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Welp back to hoping this somehow game flops hard and takes the devs down with it.

Also is DF going to ever address this since they basically gave the game a glowing endorsement?

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
That's damn disappointing. I sympathize that 3DRealms got spooked due to all the negative reviews and probably faced financial consequences, but the message this reversal sends is pretty bad.

It should be pretty obvious who the toxic part of the community here is. Hint: It's the one aggressively review-bombing a game about two absurdly minor changes while loudly crying about censorship. I don't care about that stupid bottle one way or the other, but giving in like this just undermines 3DRealms initial apology, sets an ugly precedent and empowers the trolls even further. Sad all around.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"We forced the team to take equality courses"

*1 week later*

"Well, you know we want to team to express themselves without 'censorship' even if that means allowing them putting their shitlord jokes in the game, but don't worry no publicly being shitlords on forums, they can be shitlords in their games and privately"

Zero84

Banned
Aug 18, 2019
Finland
User banned (permanent): trolling, account in junior phase
I'm actually happy about this. Censorship doesn't belong in video games at all, nor does personal politics. My stance on these type of cases is always that companies can do whatever they want with their product as long as they keep their (or others) personal political stands out of their products.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Cool. Then they can stay in their hateful bubble of bigotry with their fans. They'll never have me as a customer.

I'm actually happy about this. Censorship doesn't belong in video games at all, nor does personal politics. My stance on these type of cases is always that companies can do whatever they want with their product as long as they keep their (or others) personal political stands out of their products.

The very fact that they walked it back is proof they were never censored. There were no legal authority trying to shut them down. They said some disgraceful things and put slurs in their game, then apologised and walked it all back when they were caught. That is not censorship.

Now they're actually trying to market themselves with it, citing "gamings most controversial facial wash." They turned their bigotry into a selling point.

Last edited:

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017

"I am against censoring devs in any way. also, devs should never ever get political"

?????????