• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
Nice. Although watch unlocks on my mac is always slow where I have my password typed by the time it's unlocked. I hope it's more snappy.

Any idea when this gets released?

DarkWish

Oct 27, 2017
Virginia
I don't know why I didn't think about that before since you can use your Apple Watch to unlock your MacBook. Pretty cool. Looking forward to that iOS 14.5 release eventually.

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I like the idea but it says you need to password protect your watch for it to work.

I don't bother with a passcode on mine as it becomes too annoying to open up the menu

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Strongly considering an Apple Watch SE. I hate wearing things on my wrist but being able to take a long walk and still listen to podcasts without my phone to distract me... plus all the other benefits

infiniteloop

Oct 25, 2017
Re: passcode on watch. You can also just unlock your iPhone when you have your locked watch on to unlock it.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whenever you finally upgrade, it will be like going from the 3DO to a PS5.

Lol I've been tempted many many times. Nearly went for a series 5 in stainless steel that was on deep discount for $500-600 Canadian. Kinda regret not jumping on that now.

Every time I think about doing it, I think to myself I'd rather just put that money towards another device. I just don't use the Apple Watch enough.

Oct 28, 2017
Is there any chance in hell Apple will dump FaceID and go back to finger or thumbID which I think was last seen in iPhone8 ?

The reason I say This is because masks are not going away anytime soon. And if we get some hard data in the future that show a significant drop in cold and flu as a result of wearing masks, I can see some people, especially in older age groups continue to wear masks for a very long time after this pandemic ends.

OP
OP
Infinity Times Two
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Is there any chance in hell Apple will dump FaceID and go back to finger or thumbID which I think was last seen in iPhone8 ?

The reason I say This is because masks are not going away anytime soon. And if we get some hard data in the future that show a significant drop in cold and flu as a result of wearing masks, I can see some people, especially in older age groups continue to wear masks for a very long time after this pandemic ends.
They might add Touch ID into the power button on the side, like they did for iPad Air.

But that's about it. Face ID is probably here to stay.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

No. The most you'll get is bringing back Touch ID in addition to Face ID.

OP
OP
Infinity Times Two
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
This is the iOS release that blocks cross-app tracking as well. The one that Facebook is in a panic about.
maxresdefault.jpg

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds good; hopefully it's reliable. I've found anything requiring watch to phone communication to be pretty inconsistent in reliability and responsiveness. (I'd guess based on whether the Bluetooth connection & radios are spun up on both ends, vs. in a low-power state?)

Red

Oct 26, 2017
That's rad. Face ID is not great these days. I wonder how much COVID has spread as a direct result of people reflexively pulling down masks to unlock their phones.

Nov 15, 2020
I loathe FaceID in the age of COVID. Looking forward to this. I don't replace my phone every year, but I'd consider it if the 13 has the rumored under-the-screen touchID sensor again.

Slack Attack

Oct 28, 2017
That's a megaton for me. While I know you all are struggling with Face ID during Covid, I work in an operating room all day and so the Face ID is inconvenient even when there isn't a pandemic in place. BRB buying Apple Watch.

Cronogear

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 27, 2017

There are some rumors floating around that the next iPhone SE will essentially be an iPhone XR body with a fingerprint sensor on the power button (like the iPad Air) instead of Face ID.

But flagship iPhones will probably continue to use Face ID until whenever Apple deems under screen fingerprint scanners are ready.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly I expect the iPad to be next. First the Mac since it was easy and didn't really have biometrics at the time, then the iPhone in the age of masks. And finally your iPad because honestly why the hell not.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York

I hope not. Touch ID was far more annoying for far longer than FaceID.

Jul 1, 2020
I got a Galaxy S21+ because FaceID doesn't work correctly and was very frustrating and inconsistent to use when I was wearing a mask.