Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
I hope not. Touch ID was far more annoying for far longer than FaceID.
Whaaaat? Touch ID never failed me unless my finger was wet. When I'm lying down in bed, or wearing different glasses, or just doing nothing, Face ID will randomly take its time to unlock the phone.

The good news is the iPhone 12S/13 will have Face ID and Touch ID, if the rumours are to be believed. My XS Max is still running so smoothly and it has no problems. However if Touch ID is included in the next iPhone, I'll be the first to buy it.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Whaaaat? Touch ID never failed me unless my finger was wet. When I'm lying down in bed, or wearing different glasses, or just doing nothing, Face ID will randomly take its time to unlock the phone.

The good news is the iPhone 12S/13 will have Face ID and Touch ID, if the rumours are to be believed. My XS Max is still running so smoothly and it has no problems. However if Touch ID is included in the next iPhone, I'll be the first to buy it.

Yea my thumbs are a bit rough. Phone fingerprint sensors struggle with em even on a good day. Surprisingly my XPS fingerprint sensor is pretty reliable. But that's it. Everything else is hit or miss.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Nice. Although watch unlocks on my mac is always slow where I have my password typed by the time it's unlocked. I hope it's more snappy.

Any idea when this gets released?
I wonder if the delay is due to the fact that when your MacBook wakes from sleep it takes an ever so slightly longer time to connect to the watch and authenticate.
Meanwhile, the iPhone and AppleWatch are much more permanently connected to one another and the iPhone doesn't enter as deep of a "sleep state" as the MacBook, i presume.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Will this work on my iPhone 8+ which does not have FaceID? If so this is gonna be so rad.

Love using my Apple Watch to unlock my Mac even if it's slow

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
I generally don't install betas but I'll make an exception for this. It makes Apple Pay so much more annoying these days.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I generally don't install betas but I'll make an exception for this. It makes Apple Pay so much more annoying these days.

If you already have a watch for this, why not use Apple Pay on the watch instead? It's more convenient than the phone version anyway.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
If TouchID was still a mainstay workarounds like this wouldn't be needed.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic.
If you already have a watch for this, why not use Apple Pay on the watch instead? It's more convenient than the phone version anyway.
This, but the only issue with the watch is it can often be awkward to have to twist your wrist around to get the watch to the NFC sensor, depending on where it's placed at the payment kiosk. Especially since COVID, with all the plastic barriers that have gone up at cashiers.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
The only time I'm really out at the moment is to go to the supermarket, and I already have my phone out because I'm using their self-scan app. It'd be less hassle to double tap the button on my phone and pay, rather than put the phone away and fiddle with the watch.

Plus my watch is on my left wrist and the terminals are on the right in this particular supermarket.

But yes, under normal circumstances I do use Apple Pay on my watch a lot.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Also pro tip Apple Watch is easier to do Apple Pay as well than iPhone just need to put the watch close or double click the power and get cards up

OP
OP
Infinity Times Two
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
About that...

9to5mac said:
On the iPhone, Apple Watch unlock is limited solely to unlocking your iPhone while wearing your mask. It does not work if your iPhone can't detect if you're wearing a mask, and it does not work for things like Apple Pay, credit card auto-fill in Safari, or accessing Apple Card features in the Wallet app. In those instances, you'll still have to enter your passcode if you're wearing a mask.

It really seems like a feature Apple didn't want to do, but were essentially forced to.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Also pro tip Apple Watch is easier to do Apple Pay as well than iPhone just need to put the watch close or double click the power and get cards up
It really is the best. I had forgotten about it at the beginning of the pandemic, but nowadays? I am in-and-out of a store like a lightning bolt, especially if they have self-checkout.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it doesn't unlock unless you raise your wrist and twist? You might as well just pull down your mask anyway at that point.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
Installed both betas. Works great. No delay. Buzzes my watch and gives me the option to lock my phone from my watch if it wasn't me.

Don't have to raise my wrist. Honestly feels just as fast as face id normally does.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
It's presumably so limited because of the fact you can also unlock your watch from your phone. Creates a weird loop in the security chain-of-trust.
Just have the watch overhaul Face ID, Touch ID, and passcode whenever it's on your wrist and unlocked. It doesn't make any sense to keep the feature exclusive to Mac.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
The Apple Watch unlocking sounds rad. I'm excited for this.

Oct 26, 2017
You turn off Bluetooth? Isn't one of the reasons to own an Apple Watch is that it's always connected?

Bluetooth is a battery killer, which is why I only leave it on when I'm doing something that I'll anticipate connectivity. For instance, using Bluetooth with my phone whenever Im doing workouts.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Almost makes me tempted to get an Apple Watch just for that lol. Going from a 6s to a 12, the only thing I really miss (outside the convenience of having a built-in headphone jack) is the quicker unlocking on the 6s with Touch ID. I went from almost never needing to use a passcode to unlock the 6s (unless it was required after a restart or something), to needing to do passcode unlocks constantly with the 12 because I wear a mask most of the day. It's not a big deal (and I'd take the 12's vastly superior battery life over the 6s any day), but does feel like a step back going back to passcodes especially on a much newer phone.

pooptest

Oct 27, 2017
Recently, a week or so ago, my phone started unlocking via FaceID with my mask on... I guess it got smart and learned. 🤷‍♀️