• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Like the hat?

Oct 25, 2017
pulls up a menu that lets me pick between flashlight, camera, shazam, and this app called merlin that I use for identifying bird sounds

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
I use it for the flashlight but it only works like 8 out of 10 times. Sometimes you need to tap the screen and wake the phone from sleep to activate the action button. Kinda buggy even after 6 months.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
I still don't know what the magic island thing really does on my 14, couldn't imagine having an extra button to figure out now too.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I've got enough dark corners in my house and enough small USB plugs to plug into the devices stuffed into those dark corners to require the flashlight button.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I just kept it silence. Couldn't really think of anything else I'd want to use it for except somehow making Control Center open and you can't do that even with a Shortcut so fuck it. Silence on and off it is. It's so much easier to use than the physical switch was. That thing was always so hard to flip with you nail, even worse when you had a case. So glad they went to a button. I just wish I could somehow set up a shortcut to open Control Center. Because if I could open CC, I could access everything pretty much that the button can do anyway. Silence, flashlight, Focus, Camera, voice memos, magnification. Just let me open control center with it. (Tapping the back never works consistently to use that accessibility option)

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Mute/unmute. It's too important not to have.

It sucks because a lot of the other options seem useful too.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i keep forgetting about the apple logo touch-button on the back of my 11

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Ringer on/off switch.

Reading through this thread I guess the kids call that the 'mute' button..

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Just mute/unmute. I don't see the point of having it as either flashlight or camera as they are on the lock screen anyway.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
it's my mute switch lol, it's such a convenient feature to just silence my phone and get it back to ring with a push of a button.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
I do DoorDash and the others so definitely flashlight, no one turns on porch lights at night for some reason and I already have my phone out to take the pic so it works well for that.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
I still have an older iPhone so this "action button" is not something I have experienced yet. However, my question is that since it is a button, how easy is it to "accidentally" press it while the phone is in a bag or pocket? I would be a bit hesitant to have it set to toggle silent mode because the button feels much more accidental prone compared to the previous silent mode switch.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
Normal orientation, silence mode toggle
Sideways action button up, photo camera
Sideways action button down, video camera
Upside down, flashlight

bobmonkey

Jan 19, 2021
I use it open the Sonos app, it's something I open regularly so it's good being able to lower the friction.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Genuine question: is The Verge "close buddies" with Apple? Because that article title is quite something.

"The Action Button is the most significant new iPhone feature in years"

Lmao

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I use it to invoke a new ChatGPT voice chat. Which is orders of magnitude better than Siri for everything that's not smart home or on-device control.

My phones haven't been off silent mode in a decade, so having a ring / silent toggle is no use to me.

EternalDarko

Oct 26, 2017
I've mapped it to launch Google Assistant, though when I'm at home I just use my Google Home Devices so it's not used that often tbh.

I already have things like the camera, flashlight and other useful things mapped to screen buttons and back taps, honestly not sure this action button was really needed.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I've entirely forgotten it's there. I thought I'd use for camera access but I'm so used to accessing from the Lock Screen I still wil manually lock the screen with the right button, wake the sceeen then press the camera button. I can't unlearn it

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
I use it to quickly open the Magnifier app.
Which is handy because my vision for close things is not as good as it was.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
I think that's called 'damning with faint praise'.

That's what I thought initially, but unless that last paragraph is some high level sarcasm, I think they're actually praising it as a massive feature. Literally defining it as more than a minor iterative design feature, and comparing it alongside FaceID etc.

Karsha

May 1, 2020
My case doesn't let me press it so I've pretty much forgotten the existance of that button

OP
OP
ghostcrew

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I still have an older iPhone so this "action button" is not something I have experienced yet. However, my question is that since it is a button, how easy is it to "accidentally" press it while the phone is in a bag or pocket? I would be a bit hesitant to have it set to toggle silent mode because the button feels much more accidental prone compared to the previous silent mode switch.

You have to hold it for a second for it to toggle. I haven't accidentally toggled it (as far as I know!) in the six months I've had it. It's about the same resistance as the volume buttons, and I don't really accidentally hit those either.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I have it set to jump to video recording mode, because that's the only thing I could think of where speed could matter - to quickly capture a moment.
But I can't think of when I last used it.

Flashlight seemed pointless since there's a dedicated button on the lock screen.
Same thing for the regular camera mode.

I'd say that I miss the old rocker switch, but the advantage of it being a software toggle now is that I can set its state in automations/shortcuts - and I do like that.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Launch and start playing Downcast, my podcast app of choice. Gets a ton of use.

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
You mute switch folk must be more popular than I am. I only ever get calls from my wife and Scam Likely.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Mine does different things depending on the time and day.

- Between 6-8 it pulls up my calendar events for the day
- Weekdays, between 8-12, 1-2:30, and 3:30-8 it pauses or plays media. If no media is queued, it starts my current pocketcast episode
- Between 12-1, it opens Tonal
- Weekdays, between 2:30 and 3:30, it opens an app I use for car line pick-up at school
- Weekends are much the same except no car line app 2:30-3:30
- 8pm-6am it opens the flashlight

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I have mine on rotation lock but,

Could you elaborate on this please? I kinda really need/want those automations lol

Here's a guide:
www.idownloadblog.com

How to automatically enable or disable screen rotation for specific iPhone apps

Learn how to set your iPhone to automatically turn off screen rotation lock or turn it back on when you open or exit specific apps.

However, instead of a single automation that toggles the lock, I have two separate automations. One for locking, one for unlocking. That way, the automations will do the right thing even if I manually changed the lock for whatever reason.