• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
If it's 4k does that automatically mean it's HDR as well? Or is there some other symbol I should be looking out for?

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
It's ugly but it would be pretty weird using a keyboard at the very bottom with such a tall phone. Like it would be unbalanced. It pretty much puts the keyboard where it used to be but there's only a minimal bezel now instead of a big one so it looks off.

I agree, I don't expect the keyboard to be all the way at the bottom. Rather, I expect some better use of this additional space.

j_rocca42

Oct 25, 2017
PNW
I like to use Touch ID to log into apps. Am I gonna have to type my password now or will Face ID log me into my apps as well?

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
each os manages memory differently. like on my iphone x, it seems to prioritize games, but stuff like twitter and discord refresh ALL THE TIME. Wish there was ways to manage this better.

Discord refreshes all the time because it's a shitty web app. Like everything is just web views. The RAM usage must be really high on it, so iOS kicks it to the curb often. Since it's a web app, there's no saved state (which app devs have to build into the app) to restore what we were seeing before natively, so it has to build it all in the web views again. I hate web apps on iOS.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Yea it's kind of a pain.

The Plus models are a lot easier to use one handed.

Reachability seems fine to me, just takes some getting used to. How is this phone not as easy to use with one hand? It feels much more comfortable to use than a plus sized phone. I also have big hands, so it wasn't ever really an issue in the first place. The plus made my hand tired over extended use and I heavily relied on reachability on the plus.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Kind of sucks. Some apps are not working and I know Face ID is supposed to just work in lieu of Touch ID, but my banking app does not recognize Face ID as valid. Growing pains of a new model phone.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of MKBHD, thanks to dbrand for sponsoring this video! *view turns to yet another combo of dbrand skins plastered on a beautiful flagship phone*

I hate dbrand
"This phone has a beautiful glass back, I made a video saying why I don't like putting cases on phones because it ruins the ergonomics and aesthetics of phones but I definitely legitimately think these skins are good and its not because they pay me to say that."

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Not been able to use Apple Pay in store the two times I tried. First time I think maybe I forgot to set it up properly but the second time it showed my card but said 'pay with passcode'. Tried afterwards and it seems ok - maybe I bumped the screen after double clicking and it switched to my wallet cards?

Deleted member 3345

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, MKBHD here
iUJy5rR.gif

also fuck any company doing crowdfunding.

Manicstreet

Oct 25, 2017
Just managed to order one for in-store pick-up today which puts me 3 weeks ahead of where pre-ordering 15 minutes after they went on sale got me. Such nonsense...still happy to get off of this 3 year old 6 plus

Get ready to be blown away! I too had a 3 year old 6+. I had no idea how slow and unresponsive that phone was.

ronaldthump

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any good apps for iOS worth getting on x?

Also faceID sometime wouldn't work and I wish it'd try again instead of going to passcode and not try to unlock with my face again. I find myself cancelling and then trying again. Bit annoying when it does that

I also wish if faceID works and is unlocked, you can verbalise and tell the phone to "unlock" without having to swipe up

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA

Also faceID sometime wouldn't work and I wish it'd try again instead of going to passcode and not try to unlock with my face again. I find myself cancelling and then trying again. Bit annoying when it does that

I also wish if faceID works and is unlocked, you can verbalise and tell the phone to "unlock" without having to swipe up
Try to resetup FaceID fresh, and under optimal lighting situations to help give you a good 'baseline'. Also people have been recomending that you do slightly different angles for both of your face scans. So do one close to straight on (at a natural distance away), and do the second scan perhaps a little lower, if you tend to open your phone from chest height for example, do the second scan holding it a little lower than the first scan might help.

After resetting mine up i'm getting about a 90% success rate, but i'm still messing with it so improve it further.

TimFL

Oct 28, 2017
Germany

I've read that entering a passcode right after FaceID fails flags the last failed face scan as "approved". That way FaceID learns and adapts. Some people posted reports that their relatives were able to get into their phone because they possibly "whitelisted" their siblings failed scans by entering the passcode right away. Not sure if that's true though.

I could massively improve my FaceID accuracy by doing a re-scan as follows: a normal scan, a second scan where I'm in bed on my back with my "chin on my chest / pillow behind my head". That's how I usually rest in bed or on the couch. It now works flawlessly and I haven't had a single failed scan attempt while being a lazy couch potato today. I blame my (hopefully tiny) double chin when my head is tilted downwards.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Got my phone Friday, still haven't used FaceID for Apple Pay yet though. Will probably give it the first try tonight. Man I don't want to look like an a-hole trying to rescan my face 2 or 3 times every time I try to buy something, hah. So I hope it works out O.o
There is one show so far that is HDR but in 1080p which is Star Trek Discovery.
To people who have watched HDR shows or movies on their X, does it still have that slight yellow tint like when using true-tone or does it look better?

Deleted member 134

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Discord is such a terrible app. It always needs to refresh. Ridiculous.

Love my X. First new smartphone that feels new in awhile. I upgrade yearly and that's why my new phones don't feel too new. I blame myself for sure. But it speaks a lot when I'm upgrading from my 7 Plus and the X actually feels new. Love it.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA

Love my X. First new smartphone that feels new in awhile. I upgrade yearly and that's why my new phones don't feel too new. I blame myself for sure. But it speaks a lot when I'm upgrading from my 7 Plus and the X actually feels new. Love it.
It's terrible on the iPhone. Only app I use that behaves that way. other chat apps like telegram don't do that. I also hate that, not only does it need to refresh, but it doesn't remember what server/room you were looking at last. bleh.

Deleted member 3345

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sounds like an os problem tbh.

11590722.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Discord refreshes all the time because it's a shitty web app. Like everything is just web views. The RAM usage must be really high on it, so iOS kicks it to the curb often. Since it's a web app, there's no saved state (which app devs have to build into the app) to restore what we were seeing before natively, so it has to build it all in the web views again. I hate web apps on iOS.

Interesting. But the android app saves state though and I can share stuff to it.

Crazy how android app is better than ios lol.

And finish watching that everything Apple pro video and doing my own comparisons between pixel 2 xl and iPhone x, apps generally do open quicker on my pixel which is kind of crazy and a bit of a bummer.

What are you doing Apple?

I recall iphone 7 loaded stuff quicker than the 8 in comparisons too.

Wonder if it's due to the a11?

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A couple of questions I wasn't able to find through Google:

1. If you know FaceID won't work at the moment (you're wearing a mask or whatever) is there anyway to let the phone know you just want to put the passcode in right away?

2. I'm left-handed. Is there a way to switch the dictation icon from the right corner of the keyboard to the left corner?

Bond

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
Does anybody hate the black bars in specific applications? Google Maps is driving me insane. I need all that screen dammit; Apple needs to push developers to invest in using the screen estate it takes back to the early iPhone 5 days.

TimFL

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Does anybody hate the black bars in specific applications? Google Maps is driving me insane. I need all that screen dammit; Apple needs to push developers to invest in using the screen estate it takes back to the early iPhone 5 days.
When I first started using the phone I loved the way Discord does it (with the black bezel at the top and bottom effectively hiding the notch). Now I'm used to the notch and despise every app that hides it or has software bezels due to not being optimised. I hope devs speed up the adoption process of the X... who am I kidding, I still have certain apps that aren't even optimised for the 6 screen size (yet they managed to push out 64-bit binaries to stop their app from being obsolete with iOS11).

Deleted member 3345

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is what happens when you create a rigid system and then introduce wildcards into it. Had they done a proper scaling system when they did the taller screen (5?), this would have been less of a problem.

NYR

Oct 27, 2017
They'll get updated but Google likely did it on puropose to show how silly non updated apps look on iPhone X. They gain more showing their apps run better on their phones and platform than Apple's.

Deleted member 134

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had Face ID fail system wide today. Well, app wide. It would work when unlocking the screen but apps couldn't detect it. Apps just froze out like they sensed nothing. Had to reboot my phone and now it works again.