• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

args

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You should definitely enter the PIN whenever it fails to recognize you as that's what trains and improves Face ID. I think Apple should more clearly communicate this to users rather than burying it in a nerdy support document that nobody is gonna read. I had a lot of Face ID failures at first but after entering my PIN it's now recognizing me nearly flawlessly.

The head-on-pillow thing is where it fails most often for me too, probably since your face is partially obstructed / changes a bit by laying on the pillow. Entering my PIN has helped a lot there too, but still not perfect. That's one situation where Face ID just doesn't work as well, just like there's certain situations where TouchID doesn't work well (wet and damp hands after showering/washing hands, greasy fingers after eating, wearing gloves, etc). Personally I ran into far more of those failure situations with TouchID than with FaceID, I much prefer FaceID overall.
Someone in this thread earlier told me about the facial recognition improving every time you need to enter the PIN, so I've done it ever since. Not actually sure whether it has improved... I don't have any solid metrics or anything. I'm definitely going to try re-calibrating Face ID to see if the rate of false negatives goes down.

Interesting point on the gloves! I rarely wear gloves (even though I should because DC winters suck), so I can see how Face ID would be an absolute blessing for glove wearers. Also, I hate touching things with dirty (e.g., greasy) hands and getting them dirty, and I try to avoid letting people touch my phone... so that wasn't an issue for the fingerprint-based scanners for me.

the_id

Oct 25, 2017
I finally have my iPhone X. Got the 256Gb black and it's so very sexy coming from the fat 6S+. This phone feels solid and the screen is gorgeous. It's so sexy.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
Someone in this thread earlier told me about the facial recognition improving every time you need to enter the PIN, so I've done it ever since. Not actually sure whether it has improved... I don't have any solid metrics or anything. I'm definitely going to try re-calibrating Face ID to see if the rate of false negatives goes down.

Yeah probably a good idea to re-calibrate Face ID. I think the Face ID setup/enrollment process might be a little too lax, it allows you to fill up that green circular ring far too easily by making quick and sudden head movements. Not saying that's what you did, but I've witnessed people rush through the face setup overly fast. I made sure to take my time and rotate my head very slowly and smoothly when I did it.

Hopefully you have better luck after doing that.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
I have had my iPhone X for 6 days and FaceID has worked great. It has only failed me twice, once in complete darkness when I had the screen brightness at its lowest setting and once when I yawned and turned my head to the right at exactly the moment I tried to unlock. In fact, FaceID works 99% of the time for me in total darkness-- the light from the lock screen seems to be enough. I do not miss TouchID and hope that FaceID makes its way to iPads and the MacBook line as soon as possible.

I guess my only complaint is that I really wish I could access the Control Center from the bottom rather than the top right corner. I am left handed, have larger than average hands, and simply cannot rock my iPhone 1-handed like I used to do with my 6. I hope that after the initial newlywed phase Apple allows us to customize these things a bit more, but I will not hold my breath.

Face ID doesn't need light to work. It uses infrared and a dot projection to read your face.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Okay this might sound petty but the X's ginormous camera bump is driving me crazy. Going caseless for the first time in years and the rattling the phone makes when lying flat (lol) on a table sucks.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Okay this might sound petty but the X's ginormous camera bump is driving me crazy. Going caseless for the first time in years and the rattling the phone makes when lying flat (lol) on a table sucks.

Yeah. Apple's (expensive) Leather Case allows the X to sit flat on a surface without rocking on the camera. The case is also slightly deeper than the camera bump so the lens of the camera never makes contact with the surface you put the phone on.

Naive Question Time: We've been able to take HDR photos on the iPhone since 2000/2001 with the iPhone 4. But it's only since 2017 with the X that we've had an HDR screen. So...how were we properly viewing our HDR pics before we got the X??

Mario's Nipples

Banned for having an alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
France
The case I have (£10 off Amazon) is made so the entire unit lies flush with whichever surface you're putting it on.

nerdypxel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Naive Question Time: We've been able to take HDR photos on the iPhone since 2000/2001 with the iPhone 4. But it's only since 2017 with the X that we've had an HDR screen. So...how were we properly viewing our HDR pics before we got the X??

HDR photos and HDR displays are totally different things that do not correlate in any way. Yep, photos will look better on X, but non-HDR screens handle HDR photos with no problem.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Somethings up with wireless charging. Used it since day 1. My first wireless charger stoppedd fully charging the phone after a week. Dropped 50$ on a higher quality one. Been about 2 weeks and now this one charged it to 50% last night then stopped. I'll assime I didn't place it perfectly. But not sure why it stopped at 50%

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I've got a new Fossil Explorist Android smartwatch which works perfectly on my OnePlus 5 but I'm kind of concerned how it will work on iPhone X.

Anyone know if I'll still be able to make phone calls and answer green texts?

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apple pay cash is out now. Enable in apple pay settings. I cant get my to activate, but its there now

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Done a reboot, still only seeing the usual option in wallet/ Apple Pay

Karish

Oct 25, 2017
Somethings up with wireless charging. Used it since day 1. My first wireless charger stoppedd fully charging the phone after a week. Dropped 50$ on a higher quality one. Been about 2 weeks and now this one charged it to 50% last night then stopped. I'll assime I didn't place it perfectly. But not sure why it stopped at 50%
Happened to me once haven't tried since

MikeSan

Oct 27, 2017
Liège, Belgium
Hello,

Anyone can suggest me a website or an application for wallpapers (Games/Landscapes/Abstract) please ? It's quite hard to find pictures with the correct height.

Thanks in advance.

Deleted member 1062

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the hiccups I was having with bluetooth streaming seams to finally been fixed with 11.2. Apps refreshing/kicked out of memory seems to be happening less too but maybe thats a placebo

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Are you sure the phone is standing still on it? It might sound like stupid question, but on a wireless pad I use, the phone is sliding around like it's on ice. I leave it there, then 5 minutes later I look at it, and it has moved half way over from the pad. At first I though the vibration from the notifications move it around, but it definitely moves on its own, even when there aren't any notifications. I don't know if the electromagnetic coils act in some way as to repulse one another or something, but it's definitely a problem for me. When left overnight, phone simply slips off the pad completely. I've solved the problem for now by putting a fairly thick cloth between the phone and the pad, which creates enough friction to stop this from happening, but also probably slows down charging.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you sure the phone is standing still on it? It might sound like stupid question, but on a wireless pad I use, the phone is sliding around like it's on ice. I leave it there, then 5 minutes later I look at it, and it has moved half way over from the pad. At first I though the vibration from the notifications move it around, but it definitely moves on its own, even when there aren't any notifications. I don't know if the electromagnetic coils act in some way as to repulse one another or something, but it's definitely a problem for me. When left overnight, phone simply slips off the pad completely. I've solved the problem for now by putting a fairly thick cloth between the phone and the pad, which creates enough friction to stop this from happening, but also probably slows down charging.
I will check it out, definitely possible. I will make sure I get it right in the middle.

Oct 25, 2017
I can say that I haven't had problems with my phone sliding around on the Mophie qi charger they sell at the Apple store. There's a ring of rubberized material on the top like you normally just see on the bottom, and it grips it pretty well.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I will check it out, definitely possible. I will make sure I get it right in the middle.
Yeah, I think that's the no 1 culprit. My 8 Plus slid off my wireless charger twice overnight since I got it. Mildly annoying - but I simply haven't gotten around to embed it in my night stand and put some rubber material around it which should mitigate the issue since it will sit flush.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Apple Pay Cash option shows up, but "services aren't available". Pretty annoying when every time you check you have to enter your AppleID password again. Did the Cash team sleep in this morning?

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Opening up messages popped up an Apple Pay Cash message and the icon is now next to the Animoji.

I wonder if this will replace Cash App for me and my friends.
Likely not unless there is an easy way to view history and such.

Juj

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just got the airpods to go with this. I'm crazy invested in the apple ecosystem now dammit.

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
i feel like the X is too small. an X+ would be ideal :/

You know, I thought the idea of a smaller phone with a larger display would suit my needs, but lately I've found myself wanting a bigger phone again. I suppose the grass is always greener...

I've been swapping sims in and out of the X and my Note 8 the past couple of weeks. Really like the feel of the Note 8, save for the height which is awkward at times in my jeans pocket.

Mario's Nipples

Banned for having an alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
France
If Apple release an X+ next year, I'd definitely cave and upgrade to that. Keep the specs as they are, just give us a bigger handset.

Deleted member 6562

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, that's why this is the first phone I have in a "case" too (more like a leather wrapper) - just so it can lay flat.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
NYT app finally updated to the X.

I don't have Apple Pay cash myself right now. I'm curious how it's going to do. So many people I know just use Venmo.

Deleted member 9330

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm gonna try to move totally to Apple Pay Cash. I'll still have Venmo and the cash app for those who insist on using it for Android folks, but otherwise that's where I'll be sending all my requests

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I'll test a payment when I get home as I owe a friend some money. I need them to turn the option on first though, it looks like I'm all set up now.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
After two weeks of using the Apple Leather Case I have to say that it really does the job and has worn nicely. The Leather now has a "used" feeling about it. It's gone a little shiny from being in my pocket. As I said before, it's expensive. But a great case.

Dany

Oct 29, 2017
seattle
Dunno if we have an iOS thread but google updated their keyboard app to be dynamic depending if an app is in dark mode or not. Pretty nifty.

Souzetsu

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
California
Got Apple Pay Cash setup. Don't have anyone to test it with just yet.
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.