• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ashflow

Feb 13, 2018
US
Mine's cracked on the back a solid inch down from the power button, and right joycon is a bit loose. Both joycon also have heavily drifting joysticks and bad desync in docked mode (never sent in my launch version for repairs). Basically all guaranteed to be free fixes under warranty, but... I'm legitimately scared to send in the system.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Both my switch and my daughters Swith have some kind of cracking around the power button. So, yeah, 2 out of 2 switch's in my household are cracking. No screen issues though.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
I swear for a moment i read "falling off a cliff" xD

And by the way, no. No issue at all. If you put Switch in your pocket, maybe that's the problem? You know... it is portable, but you better find other place for it, like a backpack.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yup mine is, granted I have a couple of abusive little children but its brutal.

- The screen is scratched, this one was my fault, I left it in my bag briefly with a stick of deodorant and it must have rubbed the screen when I was walking.
- 3 out of 4 of the controllers doesn't stay locked in anymore, they just pop out with very little pressure. The plastic locks have a visible small crack on them.
- The back plate cracked on the top right, near the power button, and a piece of the back literally hangs out.
- There is a crack on the back running from the edge of the switch to the kickstand which makes the kickstand fall out.

I ordered a new backplate and some new locks for the controller as well as some tools so Im going to replace myself.

The switch itself still works fine.

Also despite already going through the controller replacement process I still get desync issues with my Joycons.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only problem I have with my Switch has been there since launch. The game card "flap" doesn't ever fully close. I could have sent it in for repair ages ago, but I wasn't confident they'd fix it. I also didn't want to give up valuable gaming time for something so small.

Aside for that, my JoyCon are getting a bit shiny from being used so frequently.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I noticed a hairline crack at the top of mine the other day (had since launch). Hasn't really grown or anything, plus the part that it's on is that part that comes off and can be replaced (the back), so I'm not worried.

nicolasacmf

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Launch day Switch and not even a scratch on mine????

The switch is the same size as a 3DS XL, lol. The real question is why aren't you carrying a portable with you?

No, it isn't? Even taking the JoyCons out, the Switch is still bigger than a 3DS XL. And most people I know use carrying cases for their Switches? In fact, I don't even carry my 3DS on my pocket, I use a carrying case for that as well.

But anyway, the build quality on this thing sucks.

It really doesn't. Send it in for repair maybe? What you described certainly isn't normal.

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
Both my switch and my daughters Swith have some kind of cracking around the power button. So, yeah, 2 out of 2 switch's in my household are cracking. No screen issues though.

Just turning my Switch on

maxresdefault.jpg

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nope, but then again I dont consider it to be much of a portable device, so I dont take it anywhere with me like I did the DS and 3DS in a pocket. It's either in my dock, in a hardshell case, or in my hands.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Did your Switch fell on the floor? Mine has this issue, but I read it happens if your Switch fell and hit the floor (or any surface from a long distance).

No idea when it happened, but don't recall dropping it.

Is it the system or just that joycon? Because for me it ended up just being the Joycon.

And Nintendo fixed it for free.

Here's the weird thing. My joycon in my friends switch does the same thing. But his joycon in my switch also does the same thing. His joycon in his switch is fine.

So I'm guessing both my joycon and switch are slightly broken.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I don't want to answer because if I do, something will happen and change my situation for the worse. *knocks on wood that doesn't happen*

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
If its not docked and not being used my Switch is in it's carrying case. No issues here, and no way is it the same size as a 3DSXL.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
I've got a similar bit broken nearer the screw/powerbutton as well. I don't even remember when it broke. Just saw it when I went to slide it in the dock as well and I use a carrying case.

Setzer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PNW
Still have my launch day system and it works fine other than it's developed a slight curve to it over time. I feel like pretty soon I'll have a nice curved screen lol. I setup an RMA for it with Nintendo last year but never returned it because they couldn't guarantee I'd get my system back with all my save data. No way I was taking that chance with the hours I had logged in Zelda and other games.

AnimeJesus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it was a piece near the power button then this is a common issue with launch switches. I started getting a crack near the power button but just put a piece of tape over the crack so a chunk would not fall out eventually. It's been holding strong for 4+ months.

Lorcain

Oct 27, 2017
We have 2 with no issues. Bought them during launch. One is used by my kids, the other is mine. I've traveled through many airports and hotels with it, no damage. I carry it in a case. I would never put it into my pocket. I wouldn't even put my 3DS XL in my pocket, it's too big and clunky. I carry that in a slim case too.

Bobcats

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some jeans have huge pockets which look normal size from the outside. I'm 5'9" and wear skinny (not skin tight) jeans which fit the Switch while in a carrying case.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Foxconn didn't glue the front glass on my Switch properly at the right side. Like a tiny gaping edge I can push down. It has been like that since day one. It's a non-issue but still sloppy assembly work.

So I guess my Switch has been falling apart since day one.

Same. It gets worse when I play it in the dock, like the heat messes with it. Thinking about sending it in, but I've seen a lot of comments that the replacements just end up the same way.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Cause mine is? I'm always really careful with my electronics. I've owned every single Nintendo handheld thus far with zero issues at all. But today as I was putting the switch in my pocket, a little chunk just fell out. Now there's a tiny hole in the top. Still works perfectly and no evidence of a fall. (I'm the only one who uses the thing and it's with me 99% of the time)

I'm really careful with my electronics, but I cram tablets in my pocket.

I don't recommend that anyone carry this around in anything but a case. Can be a soft case, but this is still a hunk of plastic at the end of the day, and it needs to be treated like it's as fragile as any other piece of plastic.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
What the fuck? No. Day 1 system, still looks pristine.. I hardly take mine out, but even when I do, I have a case I've had since launch..

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
I'm going to be sending mine in this week as the warranty is about to expire and I don't wanna be stuck with a cracked system but lord I've heard some horror stories about switch repairs, i'm so terrified of losing my saved data or getting a grubby nasty refurbished unit.

TheLoCoRaven

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
really careful with electronics . . . puts switch in their pocket. That does not compute. Mine is out or in a case, and i usually keep the grip on it for added protection.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Cause mine is? I'm always really careful with my electronics. I've owned every single Nintendo handheld thus far with zero issues at all. But today as I was putting the switch in my pocket, a little chunk just fell out. Now there's a tiny hole in the top. Still works perfectly and no evidence of a fall. (I'm the only one who uses the thing and it's with me 99% of the time)

I'm kind of worried my launch day Switch is already falling apart after less than a year.
Yeah I think I found your issue, OP

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Mine is totally fine, mint with no scratches or damage but more importantly what do you mean a chunk fell off? A chunk of what?

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
My six year old daughter drags her almost-launch Switch just about everywhere except school and it's still fine.
If something breaks or a piece falls of I'll take it back for replacement but so far it seems to hold up fine.

My wife and I have a switch each too and both are fine as well.
We do use the traveling cases extensively though and put screen protectors on.

Neban

Oct 25, 2017
I also have a hairline crack near the power button like others are reporting here.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I've been playing my Switch practically daily since before the official launch. It goes into a backpack every day with me as I go to work. It's been all over the country on business trips, and has been used by friends and family for many multiplayer sessions, docked and undocked.

Still in perfect condition.

Mr.Fix-it

Oct 27, 2017
Montreal
My unit has the screen popping out slightly. There are quite a few reddit threads of people comparing about it. Doesn't really change anything but the build quality is pretty damn poor overall. Don't get my started on the shit plastic they use that started wearing out after my first play session.

shotgunbob04

Oct 25, 2017
My Switch has been cracking at the seams since about one month after I got it. Luckily, it hasn't gotten worse since I immediately treated it even more gently than I already was doing. It's cracking primarily on the top end by the game cart slot, but there's also cracking on left side of the fan vent. The seam by the power button creaks as well.

Also, my headphone jack emits a consistent buzzing noise, so I have to turn the volume up loud if I want to use earbuds and not hear the buzzing noise. It's definitely a shielding issue, as I can definitely hear the buzzing noise coming from the heat sink right next to the headphone jack. The plastic back has also slightly warped, thanks to the internals getting hot enough. It's not really noticeable, but it's still disappointing.

All the issues my Switch has have been discussed frequently online since launch. Luckily my friend got a Switch, so I think I'm going to transfer my account to their Switch and then finally send mine in for repairs before my warranty expires. I would have done it right away at launch, but I didn't want to risk losing my saves.

Last edited:

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No issues here. Launch day unit, played daily, often toted to work.

There does seem to be something going on with the casing near the power unit, generally speaking. It's almost like the screws are overtorqued on some units and the plastic is put under undue stress.

Oct 27, 2017
I've had issues with build quality in general, mostly just creaking sounds around the top left and the bottom near the bar code. Also, I have had issues with the Joy Cons not feeling sturdy while connected after some time. The plastic materials just feel inherently cheaper than something like a phone/ipad, etc. I'm pretty sure this has to do with heat, but i think the Switch is generally built to last and be beat up by children. I saw a video of a guy dropping it from a drone like 300ft in the air, and the only break was the joy con slide rail, switch still worked perfectly though.

Also, I have been able to fix most of the cracking in the seams by unscrewing the screws in the affected area, putting some pressure on it/ re-aligning it to work out the creak and then screwing it back in.