• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Iirc, isn't there like 3 Bikini sets in MHW. Nergigante, Anja and Kirin?? Most the female sets are pretty tame from my memory

yami4ct

Oct 25, 2017
90% of the layered armor sets are available through quests actually.
Ok sure but it doesn't overwrite my point that you should be able to visually mix and match any set you want without having to give up sets. The fact that this ability is locked to a subset is a bummer.

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
Slightly? Exposed thighs are almost standard for female armor in Monster Hunter.

I'm talking about world specifically not monster Hunter on the whole, and in that regard the number of armor sets with options for less armor is low for both genders with the slight advantage going to female armor sets. It should be equal, but as I said it should also be more overall for both genders. Also I'd just like gender free options.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
They've gotten better about it from what I remember. Honestly, I honestly I also think the inverse is true for the male armour sets. They need start getting more daring and different for the men. All the armour recently have all just sort of become giant slabs of metal that don't even show the face for some reason. Either make everything consistent or consistently wacky.

Oct 25, 2017
Is armor usually even gendered irl?

I feel like the only reason it's gendered in fiction is to have wwomenin various states of undress.

yami4ct

Oct 25, 2017
They've gotten better about it from what I remember. Honestly, I honestly I also think the inverse is true for the male armour sets. They need start getting more daring and different for the men. All the armour recently have all just sort of become giant slabs of metal that don't even show the face for some reason. Either make everything consistent or consistently wacky.
MHW was a step back in terms of visual designs in general IMO. Most of the new monsters look pretty boring, the armor got way less flashy, and the weapons all look like base models with a couple monster parts glued on.

At least Iceborne's new monsters are looking pretty nice so far. We'll see if they up the armor and weapon variety as well.

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's Capcom what do you expect ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The remake had consistently great designs.
RE2_Gamescom_GL_05.jpg

QXwj7al.jpg

Ada and Claire's redesigns are very good. (Especially how Ada actually wears a tactical vest now)

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Is armor usually even gendered irl?

I feel like the only reason it's gendered in fiction is to have wwomenin various states of undress.
Armored is gendered in the sense that its dimensions have to fit the size of the wearer.

But the general exterior shape of armor doesn't change because it needs to function as armor. The shape is part of the function.

Evon

Oct 25, 2017
Austria
The easiest solution would be to stop making sexualized versions for female armor and instead just have gender-neutral alpha and beta versions of all armor that look good on both genders. Would not be any more work for them than it is now.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
So you basically picked the one and only set looking like that in the whole game and make a thread called "how bad female armor looks in MH", implying the whole game

kinda misleading, op

Going off this list alone and not counting every variant of an armor set, I count 14 armor suits where the women's version is 'man's version, but cut holes into it to show more skin'

The OP isn't misleading in any way. saying 'the one and only set looking like that in the whole game' is a bald faced lie.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I hate the bulky Male armor in games like this.
I like playing as Male for the most part, but when the only available armor is like that, I tend to play Female.
If they let Male armor expose more skin or look slimmer, I would prefer it
But if they don't want to change the Male designs to be less bulky and expose more skin, they should make the Female the same.

So I'm ok with ogle armor, but only if it's available to everyone.
If they don't want to give Males ogle armor, then they shouldn't give Females ogle armor.

Last edited:

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (3 days): Dismissing concerns of sexism
Even with that example i feel like MH handles the armor better than most other games.

It does.

Actually this thread has already annoyed me. Why? Because the majority of the Monster Hunter World female armor sets show next to zero skin. Outside of the Nergigante and Anjanath, all female sets that show skin in any meaningful way are the same for men. See the Dober/Bone sets to see what I mean.

It's definitely a thing throughout the series, but not as common as OP and some of the responses in here suggest.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Wouldn't that be less getting rid of the female Anja armor and instead letting male and female characters wear either?

Cuz I'm all for that. I hate the male Anja armor but I'd rock a sexy mankini Anja set.
They could even say one bulky set is for defense and power and the other, more exposed set is for mobility and better stamina management.

Perona

Oct 31, 2017
Anjanath armor was literally the first set both me and my girlfriend grinded for lol. We basically play these like "dress up" games so I actually enjoy the "Armorkinis" so I can look how I want while fighting monsters. I actually hate most armor that fully covers my character.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It does.

Actually this thread has already annoyed me. Why? Because the majority of the Monster Hunter World female armor sets show next to zero skin. Outside of the Nergigante and Anjanath, all female sets that show skin in any meaningful way are the same for men. See the Dober/Bone sets to see what I mean.

It's definitely a thing throughout the series, but not as common as OP and some of the responses in here suggest.
Deviljho
Odogaron
Vaal Hazak
Kulu Ya Ku
Jagras
Rathalos
Tsitsi Ya Ku
Death Stench

Also you might want to check the bone armor again. Male bone armor still shows off less. Still, that bothers me less than examples like Jagras and Rathalos where it looks like someone was literally just cutting thigh holes in the male armor.

Zoon

Oct 25, 2017
I made a female character just for the armor designs. Idk, male ones look a bit too bulky. Though I kind of want to make a new male character just for that Velkhana armor.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
not really

but I don't play as a female in MH ... mostly cause I'd rather not be bowed at and referred to as "Milady"

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Deviljho
Odogaron
Vaal Hazak
Kulu Ya Ku
Jagras
Tsitsi Ya Ku

Also you might want to check the bone armor again. Male bone armor still shows off less.
Also the ones that have totally random thigh gaps like Bazel, Butterfly, Rathalos, Legiana, Pukei, Uragaan, etc.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Deviljho
Odogaron
Vaal Hazak
Kulu Ya Ku
Jagras
Tsitsi Ya Ku
Death Stench

Also you might want to check the bone armor again. Male bone armor still shows off less.

OP is talking about impractical sets like look like, and a quote, 'chainmail bikinis'. The extent to which the Anjanath set shows skin isn't really comparable any of the sets you mentioned save Deviljho. My point is, while I get where OP is coming from, I disagree with the idea that all of the female sets are like that, or anywhere near as bad for that matter.

Then I see posts in here like "99% of them are perverted trash". Just seems disingenuous to me, that's all. Not denying that female sets showing skin is a thing in MH games though, which I'm sure some people will choose to interpret my posts as.

Driver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I like skimpy armor but I understand why some don't like it. Would be cool if they made full versions and skimpy versions for both male and female characters.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
It'll never change. Bikini armor is one of the """ classic """ mainstays of the franchise and the last thing capcom wants to do is piss their incel old guard fanbase off.

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It gets worse in Iceborne.

"Let's make some warm clothing from animal furs for this cold weather. But wait, let's show off lots of skin too while we're at it!"

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I can't speak for the newer games, but they've definitely done this for male armours too, although it's not nearly as common. When I used the Hunting Horn is 3U, one of my best armour sets was this:

bone_armor_by_bnaha_dpok3n.jpg

Generally, the series has had a tendency to give the male sets the big, intimidating faceless armours while the female sets are more clothing-like cosplay fodder. Even in this one I posted, despite showing a lot of skin, the male version has the huge shoulderpads and more enclosed mask. But it also tries to have a lot of variety in terms of how their armours look, so you'll have cool ones, cute ones, sexy ones, and silly ones.

It's ultimately not my place to be upset here and I won't disagree with anyone who is. I don't think it's generally been a thoughtless approach though, although the thought is on marketability and hitting a wider variety of tastes rather than equal treatment.

Last edited:

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
These are examples of what I mean when I state that the devs cultivate and perpetuate problematic trends that when they try to rectify under the guise of "not sexualizing" their base and ancillary trash Youtubers/social media personalities scream, "SJWs politics blah blah blah".

And having looked at the armour sets available on Wiki, it is quite astonishing how many female armour sets imbue protection to their wearer by not existing compared to their male counterparts.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
It's honestly pretty bad in general but for different reasons. But yes turning some monster armor into lingerie (master rank anjath) is very much fan service.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
I don't really like armor in general, so I'm biased in that I prefer the female armor for that reason. I play dual-blade too, so I'll go out of my way to avoid bulky barrel armors to fulfill my aesthetic. I'd add short-shorts to most of them in place of just underwear, but otherwise, I'm not too bothered by it since I, in pretty much all cases, prefer my characters to look as sleek/clothy as possible.

That being said, I also don't like the Anja armor and never felt compelled to grab it at any point, save fr maybe the top at one point just for the poofy collar.

I wish the Paolomu armor was actually good, cause I really like the poofy fashion in that one.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Female sets are always pretty whack, it's a shame they don't give options for both regardless of what you pick.

Really? I honestly feel like some of the coolest sets are the female ones. I play as a male character as I tend to try and make my character look like me, but damn. Some are awesome.

The one they've shown for Velkhana just looks incredible.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Really? I honestly feel like some of the coolest sets are the female ones. I play as a male character as I tend to try and make my character look like me, but damn. Some are awesome.

The one they've shown for Velkhana just looks incredible.

I always play as Female characters and outside a few sets, I much prefer the Male sets a lot of the time. I've always been a big fan of big and bulky.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
I am a guy so my opinion might be useless, but I only have a female character in MHW and I think it isn't that bad in this game.

Fanservice is pretty limited thankfully.

There is nothing wrong with a little femininity. Or sexiness.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I laughed when I was scrolling through the Monster Hunter quest rewards in FFXIV.

The male Rathalos Coil looks like this...

Augmented_rathalos_coil_m_icon1.png

Then the female Rathalos Coil looks like... Well...

Augmented_rathalos_coil_f_icon1.png

The chain mail basically turns it into a skirt situation but it's still pretty ridiculous in comparison

ZUeCbT5.gif

That pretty much sums it up right there.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Yep. Played thinking it would be the same armour for all

Some pieces look a lot better, others are pretty dog shit. Espcially some late game ones

Oct 27, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

"Let's not cover one of the most vital parts of the body so we can show some skin."
There are other examples, just take a look at the link you provided yourself.

WTF that armor drove me crazy in FFXIV with my Dragoon. They even give you a set that looks almost exactly like it very soon afterward, but without the dumb belly-window. It was almost like an apology lol. Thankfully I feel like they got much better with it in the expansions.

As far as the topic at hand, yeah MHW exhibits more of this phenomenon than I'd like. Thankfully a good number of the F armor designs are fine. At the very least I'd like to be able to choose the M armor designs on my F character.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
I actually really like the armour sets in the game, there are quite a few that I don't like but since there's a large selection there's plenty in the game I do really like and use regular. This is pretty much my rotation, sets I have saved.

Ny7j6lX.png

However, I do wish there was an option to be able to use the same sets on both hunters, when it comes to the leg pieces especially, there's a bunch I like on the male side but with the female armour most of them are cut too short, show too much skin which doesn't work well with some of the other pieces I tend to use. But overall, it's not too bad.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
It's precisely why I don't fuck with Fem Hunters.

Their sets are pure trash and I wish the games' armors were gender agnostic.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Slightly? Exposed thighs are almost standard for female armor in Monster Hunter.

What bothers me about Seltas armor is how the female Seltas is the bigger and stronger of the two... Yet the female armor set is based mostly on the male Seltas while the male set is based on the female Seltas. It's especially noticeable with the Low Rank gear.

latest

Oh wow, if I had to fight something, or even like, move, I would definitely rather be wearing the female armor here.

If I was wearing the male armor I would probably cut my own head off trying to scratch my ass.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who says there isn't a major disparity between male and female armor is lying to themselves and everyone else

Banana Aeon

Oct 30, 2017
I wish the male sets stopped being so tryhard edgy bulky nonsense and I wish the female sets were more than just cosplay bait.

Also I wish there were black hairstyles.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
I am in there process of making a few armor sets for cosplaying and this is very very common. Hard to make something for my sister that isn't... 'too out there'

So, instead, helping her make a r 63 Travis Touchdown, and beam katana. Should be fun!

That said, I plan on making some revealing armor variants for myself :p

(Though even my ass won't go to conventions with it on! Hell no!)