• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will you get The Switcher 3?

• Yes

Votes: 304 15.8%
  • No

Votes: 935 48.5%
  • Yes, but not at launch

Votes: 270 14.0%
  • Maybe later, if the price drops

Votes: 418 21.7%

• Total voters

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Why would you want to play the worst version if you already own better version on the PC and PS4? Because the switch is portable?

Why you would play inferior PS4 version when you have PC version?

Never understood why putting down Switch ports and games is cool on ERA, but e.g. I expect to get slapped with warning for line above for "platform warring".

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
Why you would play inferior PS4 version when you have PC version?

Never understood why putting down Switch ports and games is cool on ERA, but e.g. I expect to get slapped with warning for line above for "platform warring".

I didn't play it because I can't use a controller due to my hand but my husband did and he did play the PC version.

I'm not putting down a Switch port, I don't understand buying the game for a 3rd time as the worst version when you have already played it twice before. I can understand if the Switch is your only system but not if you have already played it twice before.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I didn't play it because I can't use a controller due to my hand but my husband did and he did play the PC version.

I'm not putting down a Switch port, I don't understand buying the game for a 3rd time as the worst version when you have already played it twice before. I can understand if the Switch is your only system but not if you have already played it twice before.
The answer is portability. It allows you to do a replay you might want to do more easily in between your other gaming and other activities.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
do we have any idea what kind of battery life we'll get in handheld? i have the 2019 Switch.

i have the game on PS4/PC already but will buy this to play on the go or in bed.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

Worst version is subjective, for some it is the best since it is the one that'll actually allow them to finish the game.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Worst version is subjective, for some it is the best since it is the one that'll actually allow them to finish the game.
To make this more precise, before someone jumps on you: in terms of technical stuff, it objectively is the worst version. However, it's very well possible that it is a more enjoyable version for someone because of the portability aspect, like you mentioned.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I will wait and see how it performs in handheld mode, I have been wanting to replay it since I never got around to Blood and Wine.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
I will wait and see how it performs in handheld mode, I have been wanting to replay it since I never got around to Blood and Wine.
Dont worry, the performance is blowing me away

I have the game on the PS4 since launch, and the performance here is miles better than that. I'm at the starting area, but it's pretty much locked at 30 fps throughout.

I had fights with groups of humans, used Igni on explosive barrels ... Did everything that I could to stress the game, but it's running very solid.

I havent played it docked yet, but I believe the appeal of the game is playing on handheld.

The game is gorgeous on Switch, but it sure is blurry though. I thought "I'm playing DQ XI lately, it cant be much blurrier than that", but welp ... It is

I'm still going to play the heck of this game, tho

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I'm very impressed at how stable the performances feel so far. I even think that they could have gotten away with a slightly higher resolution, but I'm glad that they choose the stability instead. I've already played at least 5 hours, which is 1/3 of what I could play on PC throughout the years.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Dont worry, the performance is blowing me away

I have the game on the PS4 since launch, and the performance here is miles better than that. I'm at the starting area, but it's pretty much locked at 30 fps throughout.

I had fights with groups of humans, used Igni on explosive barrels ... Did everything that I could to stress the game, but it's running very solid.

I havent played it docked yet, but I believe the appeal of the game is playing on handheld.

The game is gorgeous on Switch, but it sure is blurry though. I thought "I'm playing DQ XI lately, it cant be much blurrier than that", but welp ... It is

I'm still going to play the heck of this game, tho
Have you checked how it is when you disable Motion Blur and Blur in the settings? (someone said these exist, haven't received the game yet so unable to test it myself). I do remember there were 2 settings (no longer recall their name) in Doom 2016 that made quite a difference for me as far as game blurriness.

Oct 26, 2017

I played through the main quest 3 times on PC, without mods and with. HOS twice and Blood and Wine once. I would love to do another Blood March playthrough with a NG+ run after that, but I simply can't be bothered to do that on a stationary platform anymore. But with the Switch I can just quickly pause and instantly resume anywhere.
It's just a shame I can't use my Steam saves. That would be the icing on the cake.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
This is the kind of game that needs to be supported on the Switch to show that it is worth the effort of porting such ambitious games

Plum

May 31, 2018
I can't compare from personal experience with Wolf 2 and DOOM, but I can give you some personal impressions compared to DQXIS. IMO, Witcher 3 holds up very well in resolution compared to that one, being even a little better at times.

Damn, that's pretty good. There is the factor of art-style which will inevitably make things a little worse but what little I played of DQXIS was fine compared to Youngblood.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Have you checked how it is when you disable Motion Blur and Blur in the settings? (someone said these exist, haven't received the game yet so unable to test it myself). I do remember there were 2 settings (no longer recall their name) in Doom 2016 that made quite a difference for me as far as game blurriness.
I haven't, because I enjoy the motion blur, but it makes no difference performance wise on Xbox or PS4, so I doubt that it could be different here.

But Im particularly curious about the "Blur" option, because that's not present in any other version of the game. I'll check it out soon and edit this comment.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't, because I enjoy the motion blur, but it makes no difference performance wise on Xbox or PS4, so I doubt that it could be different here.

But Im particularly curious about the "Blur" option, because that's not present in any other version of the game. I'll check it out soon and edit this comment.
Ok, but disabling motion blur at least in Doom, while it didn't have an effect on performance as far as I could tell, it had an effect on blurriness (or do you mean blurriness when you say performance?)

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

I think CDPR said they used additional blur on distant backgrounds to mask the low resolution so I'm guessing if you turn off blur it turns that off.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe if it drops to around $20 or less. I already have it on PS4, but I may get it since said PS4 version has pretty massive patches + the base game and I have limited storage.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
I own it on PS4 and XBox and in both cases I could not get over the sluggish controls and combat. I could only imagine how much worse those will be on a Switch.
I appreciated the technical achievement W3 has been and will be on Switch, but no thanks, I won't play it.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
EGvxc3MU0AAoNZT

hmmm....

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
If anything it could be even better on the Switch screen due to the response time compared to some TVs.

Assuming framerate is also stable, of course.

KingPat

Apr 29, 2019
California
I want to play this game and hell cdpr even gave me a free copy of the base game when it came out years ago and I've still haven't played it. But it being on the go does sound enticing.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
Was there as much negativity surrounding the release of The Witcher 2 on xbox360? I never played it but it seems that the general perception is that it was a great port; but from what I've seen, it was also much more compromised than The Witcher 3 Switch (which by the way days a lot about the difference between a switch and an xbox360).

There was a lot of skepticism but aside from obviously running at 720p/30fps the 360 port had the advantage of looking better in some areas (at least until the enhanced edition came to PC) so everyone kind of agreed it was black magic.

that being said this port is also basically black magic. really impressive stuff

Oct 26, 2017
There was a lot of skepticism but aside from obviously running at 720p/30fps the 360 port had the advantage of looking better in some areas (at least until the enhanced edition came to PC) so everyone kind of agreed it was black magic.

that being said this port is also basically black magic. really impressive stuff
I never thought that it'd be possible. And yet here we are. CDPR and Saber have made a dream come true for me. Portable Witcher

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo

Ok, thanks mate. I really don't remember anything about what was said at the time.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
Why what? Why I double dipped? I originally got it on PS4 at launch, but dropped it after 20 hours because I couldn't get over the controls and the combat. I bought again (on a deep sale) when I got my Xbox One X, hoping that the better performance would help, but unfortunately it didn't.

Why I think controls will be even worse on the Switch? Because the performance obviously will be far from stable and that will add to the inherited sluggish controls making it unenjoyable for me. Obviously your milage may vary. Tons of people had no problems playing it through multiple times on consoles and I am sure many more will enjoy it on Switch. It's just not for me and others who share my opinion.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why would you want to play the worst version if you already own better version on the PC and PS4? Because the switch is portable?
To each their own. But the portability factor, hyper convienece of instant suspend/resume, and the superb comfortability Switch Lite lends to me makes this a compelling offer. The freedom to move around the house, from the bedroom, to the living room, and right now in my kitchen while food is going, is so liberating. I refuse to go back to being glued to a TV or computer screen. I just don't have it in me to stay in one spot for a long period of time.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Why what? Why I double dipped? I originally got it on PS4 at launch, but dropped it after 20 hours because I couldn't get over the controls and the combat. I bought again (on a deep sale) when I got my Xbox One X, hoping that the better performance would help, but unfortunately it didn't.

Why I think controls will be even worse on the Switch? Because the performance obviously will be far from stable and that will add to the inherited sluggish controls making it unenjoyable for me. Obviously your milage may vary. Tons of people had no problems playing it through multiple times on consoles and I am sure many more will enjoy it on Switch. It's just not for me and others who share my opinion.

I'm about 5 hours in, still in White Orchard, but I'm pretty convinced the performance is actually better than ps4/xb1. Very few drops present.

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
From watching several gameplay videos on Switch and having put more than 300 hundred hours into this game on PS4. I'm definitely certain the framerate on Switch is indeed better than, at least, the PS4 version.

Deleted member 290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hours in and the only drop I've had so far was during a heavy storm with the early morning light shining through the trees. Impressive that they've managed to keep the framerate so stable during combat and in more populated areas

Deleted member 10847

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played a little more until the baron quest. Cutscenes are or native res ou very near in most occasions although framerate sometimes suffer.

Gameplay is very stable framerate wise but the resolution must be really low at times, on the open fields is really really blury and in some small villages too.

Can't wait for the digital foundry analysis.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
To each their own. But the portability factor, hyper convienece of instant suspend/resume, and the superb comfortability Switch Lite lends to me makes this a compelling offer. The freedom to move around the house, from the bedroom, to the living room, and right now in my kitchen while food is going, is so liberating. I refuse to go back to being glued to a TV or computer screen. I just don't have it in me to stay in one spot for a long period of time.

The portability and ESPECIALLY the instant on/off ability the switch is adept at really make it for me. Hearing the performance might even be better than the PS4 is just icing on the cake. The graphics are more than serviceable and even kind of attractive in a 'demake' sort of way

Nintenkun

Banned
Nov 20, 2018
Well I'm a Chinese in UK, I really did want to buy it when it releases, but.........it only supports Chineses sub in HK version... i guess I will get it someday when i go back china...

btw i can still get it on play-asia, however it's either extremly slow on delivery or high risk on being charged on tariff

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, to each their own. If I am making dinner, I just put my game down and pick it back up when I am done. I like being glued to my TV/computer because its much nicer than playing on a tiny Switch/other portable screen IMO.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, to each their own. I have no issue playing games on just my TV or computer. If I am making dinner, I just put my game down and pick it back up when I am done. I like being glued to my TV/computer because its much nicer than playing on a tiny Switch/other portable screen IMO.
That's fine, that's why it's good to have options for everyone. Hope that answers your question why someone would rather play the Switch version of a game.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Totally would if I wasn't already playing Dragon Quest 11 on Switch with Links Awakening and Luigis Mansion 3 to follow. I play games too slow.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
If anything it could be even better on the Switch screen due to the response time compared to some TVs.

Assuming framerate is also stable, of course.
You know, thats something that i've noticed but thought that I was seeing things ... But I felt the game to be more responsive

Something really important that I've noticed and people doesnt seem to be mentioning: the menus seems way faster than on PS4 and Xbox.

Maybe I'm wrong, but the lag on menus is something that bothered me a lot on PS4, and doesnt seem to be present here.
Loading times are also awesome.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
You know, thats something that i've noticed but thought that I was seeing things ... But I felt the game to be more responsive

Something really important that I've noticed and people doesnt seem to be mentioning: the menus seems way faster than on PS4 and Xbox.

Maybe I'm wrong, but the lag on menus is something that bothered me a lot on PS4, and doesnt seem to be present here.
Loading times are also awesome.
Absolutely. Loading times seem faster: I loaded into the game in 38 seconds, while PS4 could sometimes take 75 seconds (I timed it once).

The menu is hugely responsive compared to PS4 in 2015/2016. Don't know if that sluggishness was improved later on for PS4, but for the first year, it was unresponsive, and the Switch menus are much more responsive than that.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I'm playing it again tonight, this time more in docked mode. Performances seem really really solid. I don't have any number to support that, but during gameplay, I don't remember seeing something that felt like less than 30fps. I'm finally going to finish The Witcher 3. I hope at least.

Gwynbleidd

Oct 27, 2017
Keep seeing people getting this early from Walmart so I thought I'd try my luck. They wouldn't sell it to me. Oh well. 48hrs left