• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But why should it have to? Thus the question of tokenism, do you want representation or lip service? Is the real issue DBZ characters created by a man or underrepresentation of woman as creatives in the anime industry?
The fuck does that have to do with FighterZ not using female characters from it's own series?

There are literally three fucking female characters in this game, two of which are stuck having men assist them in their movesets while those same men get to fight by themselves as their own characters.That's bullshit.

Dragon Ball is hardly a shining beacon of feminism and has always treated its female cast like garbage but it's clearly at least trying to improve. FighterZ roster is bad even by Dragon Ball standards and yes when there are perfectly viable female characters that could be included I don't think it would hurt to include more. Especially over characters like Nappa or a fourth version of Goku. That's embarrassing.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I understand the issue of representation in 2019, however is a male power fantasy, written by a male ostensibly for males obligated to try? If so why? Is tokenism or inclusion just to avoid criticism acceptable representation?
Did you bother reading the thread before posting, or...?

Every page has at least five posts like this. It's astonishing.

LordFish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The argument doesn't even make any sense to me.

How is it tokenism to ask for characters from the source material?

Because the discussion has been framed as representation. You could literally add every female character that's been in DB and still make the argument of poor representation because they are shallow tertiary characters.

Honestly, i was using this thread to try and get some discussion on the points I raised in a general sense, in regards to media and representation, with the hopes someone would engage in some back and forth, as I find this a much more engaging way to gain better insights while further developing my knowledge and opinions.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because the discussion has been framed as representation. You could literally add every female character that's been in DB and still make the argument of poor representation because they are shallow tertiary characters.

Honestly, i was using this thread to try and get some discussion on the points I raised in a general sense, in regards to media and representation, with the hopes someone would engage in some back and forth, as I find this a much more engaging way to gain better insights while further developing my knowledge and opinions.
You're better off just making a thread about this subject then piggybacking of a thread that's on page 20. Most people are probably done with this thread.

As for FighterZ the merits of the female characters in Dragon Ball is an entirely separate discussion. This is purely about wanting more female characters in to fight. Personality and how their treated in canon isn't really a factor. As evident by Yamcha and Janemba.