• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was always a fan of the design of earlier suits up to Super Metroid, which got the proportions just right in my opinion. I never got onboard with the Prime designs with the monstrous shoulders and tiny elongated limbs.

220px-MetroidPrimebox.jpg

This is the perfect look imo.

gravitysuitsamus1.jpg
Her limbs are not elongated at all in the Prime image and the image below has the same proportions. Not sure how those two are really any different other than aesthetics.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Link not having the tunic and hat made botw actively worse, thats not evidence that its changeable, its evidence to not

Hes just wearing a shotty shirt and nothing on him matches anything. Its boribg as hell
Heh just you wait until kids who grew up on BotW as their first Zelda don't ever realise Link once wore green

Acetown

Oct 28, 2017
Was always a fan of the design of earlier suits up to Super Metroid, which got the proportions just right in my opinion. I never got onboard with the Prime designs with the monstrous shoulders and tiny elongated limbs.

220px-MetroidPrimebox.jpg

This is the perfect look imo.

gravitysuitsamus1.jpg

Retro were playing around with a more realistically proportioned Samus during Metroid Prime's development.
mbirlrwua83k7-nykd5fkw6ey2.jpg

Metroid-Prime-Third-Person-Screenshot.jpg

FreeMufasa

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Did anyone else like her realistic Face from Prime 1?

images

Everything else that came after looks too anime

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I'd rather have a super bulky spacesuit than let her run around in a pyjama. She's a bounty hunter and constantly fights evil creatures so she has to have protection. Both Zero Suit Samus and Fusion Samus are garbo

Jul 24, 2018
I wasn't aware her suit's boots were considered to be high heels unless you are talking about Zero Suit Samus, whom I do feel could use a design different to that of Other M. I like the buff version of Samus in Smash Ultimate, just with a different outfit. She'd have to be buff after carrying those boulder pads around for so many years :)

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Some of y'all always since the old forum stay trying to redesign something bout Samus and it's ALWAYS TRASH

Fuck that.

The suit's great.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Now that Link is wearing blue, we can give Samus green

It's the best colour scheme anyway, based Sakurai

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's possible to change it up a great deal and still keep the ethos of of what Samus is. I'm excited to see what Prime 4 has in store in that regard. I feel a Prime 4 without a suit change would be a negative given how long it's been since Prime 3's ending.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Her heels in the Zero Suit design look awesome though, they're all big and glowing and shit. I don't really care if it makes sense or not.
The shit from OtherM?
Fuck no.
Makes no sense when put together with Varia suit anyway.
If it's the thing from Smash, at least there's a functional justification for that with how the game uses them for some moves.
But still no, they makes no sense. SSB pull it off because rule of cool and even then barely.

Lmo2017

Oct 25, 2017
To the east of Parts Unknown...
It looks cool on its own, but it doesn't really look like alien technology the way the normal one does. It looks like if she had lost her suit and had to build a new one with parts on hand.

Which could be an interesting take on a new Metroid game. Samus on junkyard world infested with space pirates, has to scrap together parts to survive after her suit is damaged.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Little changes here and there in each game... sure!
Big changes to what is almost perfect... why?

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Metroid is one of the rare cases where every fan attempt to reimagine the character looks worse than the original.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Considering BOTW Link is dramatically better in design than the previous ones for making drastic changes (Link without green and the hat works far better than ever I thought it would when I was younger), I say sure go for it.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Noooo they just got back on the right track with Samus Returns

Though the visor looks a little bit too much like Dark Samus. Wouldn't be surprised if that was the reason they kept the Other M design for Smash.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Considering BOTW Link is dramatically better in design than the previous ones for making drastic changes (Link without green and the hat works far better than ever I thought it would when I was younger), I say sure go for it.
I wouldn't call giving Link a different colored tunic a dramatic change, specially since he has rocked blue tunic upgrades since the og game.

Droyd

Mar 1, 2018
I've always thought the suit looked weird and off-putting

The shoulder pads are bigger than her head?

Similar to links redesign, older fans are attached to the old style because of nostalgia (myself included) but Champions Tunic + clothing options elevated the game

It's a silly thing to care about but space suits should look cool and badass

What's the practicality of shoulder pads that size? They baffle me

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I'd be open to a full redesign. I like Samus a lot, but I don't think I've ever really had a particular affinity for the suit itself. The limitation of having a canon for an arm always bothered me and would like to see the entire concept around Samus' design revisited.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad that this never happened, which was appareantly from Next Level Games' cancelled Metroid game:

metroidnextlevel.png

free_bubble

Oct 27, 2017
Time hasn't been kind to the original Prime design. It just looks award with those ridiculously large shoulder pads.

I like some of the sleeker designs Nintendo has put out recently but would appreciate a rethink for this new game. Metroid Prime 4 should be a grand (re)introduction to the character for a new generation of fans and the look should reflect that.

I like that Overwatch-esque render, as it seems like a human being could actually, you know, move around in it, but I think it's a tad too utilitarian and, for lack of a better word, human-looking. I'd want the armor to look more alien in origin.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
In the vein of this suggestion, should we shave Mario's mustache? After three and a half decades of hair over the lip, we're clearly due for a refreshing visual change.

mario_without_moustache_2.jpg

Well, to be fair, what we're talking about here is changing a costume and Mario is now able to change in to numerous costumes that completely change how the character appears over the course of his adventure.

This change is part an effort to release Nintendo's classic characters from the limitations of their brand and so far has had distinct and popular impacts on Pikachu, Link, and Mario. The summation of the new effort is described in a quote from Junichi Masuda in an interview with Masahiro Sakurai:

That's right. I felt that Pikachu as a character become very established and entrenched over the course of these 20 years. So I thought that it was okay to loosen up on some of those restrictions. For example, Pikachu can wear clothes now because Pikachu is so recognizable, and it's obvious that it's Pikachu even with clothing on.

This conscious effort Nintendo is making to diversify the ways their characters can and do appear in their games is important. Even Nintendo realizes that tradition is a poor excuse not to innovate. This has been part of their brand for a long time. The desire to innovate Metroid in to something we'd never seen before was what gave us Metroid Prime in the first place.

Sometimes change is necessary because giving people the same thing they've seen before becomes an increasingly more difficult sale to make. Pokémon, Super Mario, and The Legend of Zelda all benefited from experimenting with how its main characters are supposed to look. There's no reason to think Metroid would be any different. Even as somebody who hates the Fusion Suit, like me, I can recognize that being willing to deviate from the main design in to something different has garnered a lot of lasting positivity from fans. People love the Fusion Suit even still. I don't know how, but they do, and that's reason enough to experiment.

Samus doesn't need the Varia Suit to be Samus. I would like to see what Nintendo can do with the character by completely re-interpreting what this armor should look like. While it may seem unthinkable to shave Mario's mustache, the same could be said about removing Link's hat, or Mario's for that matter, but the option exists and has enriched the series as a result.

#FreeSamus

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well, to be fair, what we're talking about here is changing a costume and Mario is now able to change in to numerous costumes that completely change how the character appears over the course of his adventure.

This change is part an effort to release Nintendo's classic characters from the limitations of their brand and so far has had distinct and popular impacts on Pikachu, Link, and Mario. The summation of the new effort is described in a quote from Junichi Masuda in an interview with Masahiro Sakurai:

This conscious effort Nintendo is making to diversify the ways their characters can and do appear in their games is important. Even Nintendo realizes that tradition is a poor excuse not to innovate. This has been part of their brand for a long time. The desire to innovate Metroid in to something we'd never seen before was what gave us Metroid Prime in the first place.

Sometimes change is necessary because giving people the same thing they've seen before becomes an increasingly more difficult sale to make. Pokémon, Super Mario, and The Legend of Zelda all benefited from experimenting with how its main characters are supposed to look. There's no reason to think Metroid would be any different. Even as somebody who hates the Fusion Suit, like me, I can recognize that being willing to deviate from the main design in to something different has garnered a lot of lasting positivity from fans. People love the Fusion Suit even still. I don't know how, but they do, and that's reason enough to experiment.

Samus doesn't need the Varia Suit to be Samus. I would like to see what Nintendo can do with the character by completely re-interpreting what this armor should look like. While it may seem unthinkable to shave Mario's mustache, the same could be said about removing Link's hat, or Mario's for that matter, but the option exists and has enriched the series as a result.

#FreeSamus
This is a great post; thanks for explaining Nintendo's current approach. I never connected the dots in that way.

The Mario Odyssey approach already exists in Metroid and is great. What I object to is the idea that the "base" character design needs a change like what happened to Link in Breath of the Wild. Mario in Odyssey might put on different costumes, but the default is still the cap, red shirt, and blue overalls. Pikachu can wear a hat and jacket, but it's still the same basic character design. Experimentation is good when it has a purpose, as it did with the Fusion Suit (As ugly as it is) and the different suits in the Prime trilogy. I want to see more different and creative power suit designs. Hell, that's how we got the big shoulders Varia Suit design in the first place.

250px-Dark_Suit_mp2_Artwork_01.png

200px-Light_Suit_mp2_Artwork.png

Metroid-Prime-Phazon-Enhancement-Device-Papercraft.jpg

But there's a reason we've mostly stuck with the Metroid 2 Varia Suit design for 27 years. The bright colors and distinct silhouette with those big shoulders communicate power and distinguish Samus from all the other armored heroes in fiction. It works well both as an initial character design and as the first upgrade from the much less cool basic power suit. I think it speaks volumes that even though Metroid 2 tends to be ignored compared to the first Metroid, the appearance of Samus on the cover of that game was so striking it immediately became the signature look for the character. As interesting as skinny blue taffy Samus and sexy White IPod Samus were for their games, there's a reason those didn't become the new norm.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't call giving Link a different colored tunic a dramatic change, specially since he has rocked blue tunic upgrades since the og game.

Giving Link a blue tunic by itself isn't. Giving him a blue tunic and booting the iconic floppy hat is.

I think they got the idea to use blue as a main color from Wind Waker. The pajamas were an option in New Game + and were super well received, so they tested the waters further by allowing the blue scarf in Hyrule Warriors as a main part of that Link's design. Then, they went full in with BOTW.

free_bubble

Oct 27, 2017
^ I've always loved the PED suit from Prime 3. The shoulders are still pronounced but not the monstrosities from the first game and the color scheme is just cool. Wouldn't mind the new game building off of it.

I have a soft spot for just how absurdly tanky the first Prime's Varia Suit looks though.

I admit it has its charms, although that might be my love of Prime talking. I imagine getting shoulder-checked by Prime Samus would be like getting hit with a wrecking ball, lol.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
^ I've always loved the PED suit from Prime 3. The shoulders are still pronounced but not the monstrosities from the first game and the color scheme is just cool. Wouldn't mind the new game building off of it.
The one thing I really liked about the PED suit was how it changed color as Samus got more corrupted. The ending color scheme combined with the hazard shield looks good.

Hazard_suit_crop.jpg

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Off topic but I need to ask. Is the Varia suit unisex or specifically for females only?
Samus' powersuit is custom made to her. It's Chozo warrior armor made specifically for her. Other Chozo wear similar power suits but she's the only human that has one.

rLVjfYH.png

g9kJcYh.png

ukfRWP2.png

W2yR8ta.png

It materializes out of nothing when she summons it, so it can probably alter shape to suit her form.