• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
texmechanica

texmechanica

Nov 19, 2018
Lol, your girlfriend's father paid for the meal and had what he felt was a legitimate reason to reduce the tip. Dude did give $30 as a tip to your $9.
He said if it was up to him the server would get nothing. A mandatory gratuity was added to the bill as we were a large party. I assume that gratuity was between 15-18% of the bill.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think you did the right thing but in somewhat of the wrong way, in that you could have just said you needed to go to the bathroom and then sneaked the tip on the side.

On the other hand, even though it may have been rude towards your potential father in law, it's good that he was subtly shown that his entitled, arrogant petulance wasn't actually supported by all or ok, and that he was indeed being cheap. Sometimes people just need to be politely reminded of these things instead of having yes men and women around them all the time, and at least this incident would have acted as one of those low key reminders.

You don't agree having extra napkins on hand in case of spills is at least a good idea? And again, why should a waiter harass customers about such a thing? 'I brought you the CORRECT amount of napkins.' Like, you don't know me and my dinner guests, I asked for more napkins, what else are you here for? If I ask for 100 napkins, bring me 100 napkins.

Seriously, how clumsy are you and your dinner guests? As long as you have a napkin each, you're good to go. If you need more napkins in case of a spill or accident, simply ask for more. Otherwise what you're proposing is something that increases the potential for waste, and for unnecessary restaurant overheads.

And no, if you asked for 100 napkins that would be completely ridiculous and I wouldn't be surprised if a restaurant owner or waiter simply told you no, unless of course you had some sort of extreme emergency. A restaurant is selling you food and a good service, not bulk orders of napkins.

Last edited:

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
If you want to leave an additional tip that is fine, but you have to do it in way that doesn't shame or humiliate the person paying for the bill. Ideally you should wait until the bill-payer has left the restaurant. If you can't do that then come back the next day and find the server.

If you know you are eating out with a cheapskate, then try to sidestep the issue by saying "Oh, let me get the tip" when the bill arrives.

I forgot about this pro tip. I've done this before and the server has always been like ridiculous appreciative.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You should have done it discreetly dude, your GF is the one you have a relationship with, not the waiter. Now you're likely gonna have to deal with the fall out from this every time you see her family.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was expecting similarities to that episode of Friends. But the more I read the more identical it became lol.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"are you sure?"
*spills 100 drinks while maintaining uninterrupted eye contact*

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm with you OP would have done the same thing. I would have even mentioned that he "he did bring us napkins that went unused" when explaining why I was leaving extra money

Aug 27, 2018
This is why everyone should work a mandatory 6 months or something in the service industry. You're not rude, your girlfriend's dad is a jerk off though.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
People who are rude to service professionals deserve every ounce of shit they get from the people around them.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
Literally no one does this.

Not once have I ever seen someone preemptively ask for a stack of napkins at a sit down restaurant, in anticipation of spilling their drink.
Well agree to disagree then, I can't speak to your own life experiences. And people ask for extra napkins for different reasons and it's not an odd request. Here it was just 6 extra napkins and the waiter was questioning it - why?

The waiter and you guys are making a huge deal out of someone wanting extra napkins as if they were an alien first time eating at a restaurant. OMG EXTRA NAPKINS, HOW DARE YOU?! NEVER HAVE I EVER USED MORE THAN A SINGLE NAPKIN WHEN EATING FOR ANY PURPOSE!

Like c'mon, this is not a big deal, and the waiter shouldn't have treated it as such. End of.

Oct 27, 2017
Well agree to disagree then, I can't speak to your own life experiences. And people ask for extra napkins for different reasons and it's not an odd request. Here it was just 6 extra napkins and the waiter was questioning it - why?

The waiter and you guys are making a huge deal out of someone wanting extra napkins as if they were an alien first time eating at a restaurant. OMG EXTRA NAPKINS, HOW DARE YOU?! NEVER HAVE I EVER USED MORE THAN A SINGLE NAPKIN WHEN EATING FOR ANY PURPOSE!

Like c'mon, this is not a big deal, and the waiter shouldn't have treated it as such. End of.

And the dad shouldnt have asked for extra. You ask for extra after you use what you're given. And he WAS given extra without hassle, by the waiter who OP said did a great job. He wanted DOUBLE EXTRA. And never touched them. Then wanted to remove any tip from the waiter. I would like to know why he asked, but now I know. He anticipated many many spills.

Maybe you didnt read it right. The waiter didnt question the 6 extra. He questioned the "no, that's not extra ENOUGH" from the dad after he brought out the 6 extras with no fuss

Last edited:

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

The issue isn't necessarily that he asked for napkins, rather that he acted like an entitled, cheap and petulant child, refusing to give the server tip and complaining about him, all because he was audacious enough to ask him if he was sure he wanted even more than the extra he'd already been given. Lest we forget the server still bought the extra. The irony of course is that as the server rightly assumed, they did not need the extra napkins.

Moral of the story, don't ask for more napkins than you actually need, and only if you need more, ask for more. Certainly don't act like a jerk just because a server asks if you're sure you want more, when you already have more than you even need.

Last edited:

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
And the dad shouldnt have asked for extra. You ask for extra after you use what you're given. And he WAS given extra without hassle, by the waiter who OP said did a great job. He wanted DOUBLE EXTRA. And never touched them. Then wanted to remove any tip from the waiter. I would like to know why he asked, but now I know. He anticipated many many spills.
Lol, "shouldnt have asked for extra". Wtf is this stupid rule of yours?
Ever eaten with kids for example? You need extra. And if one of the guests has some handicap or similar that causes extra spill, you need extra too. The one to make that call is the customer, not the waiter.

Oct 27, 2017
Ever eaten with kids for example? You need extra. And if one of the guests has some handicap or similar that causes extra spill, you need extra too. The one to make that call is the customer, not the waiter.

He didnt need them. Ask when you need them.

I say he shouldnt have asked for extras, as in, with the benefit of hindsight, we all know he shouldnt have. Because they weren't used. I dont care that he asked for extra. Neither did the waiter. The second extra got the sideeye lol.

Yes I've eaten with kids, I have a couple. We use the napkins at the table, and ask for more when needed. Usually not needed.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
On the napkin issue, we have a toddler, there is an assumption that when you ask for extra napkins and you have young children, you bring more than one. I've never not tipped because the waiter only brought one extra napkin, I have quickly responded back and requested more napkins alluding the the potential mess of a toddler.

Oct 27, 2017
On the napkin issue, we have a toddler, there is an assumption that when you ask for extra napkins and you have young children, you bring more than one. I've never not tipped because the waiter only brought one extra napkin, I have quickly responded back and requested more napkins alluding the the potential mess of a toddler.

Wet wipes yo. But yeah, kids need more napkins. The (hypothetical) kid could have had 6 extras. Not everyone at the table needed 2 napkins presumably.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He said if it was up to him the server would get nothing. A mandatory gratuity was added to the bill as we were a large party. I assume that gratuity was between 15-18% of the bill.

So about $200 for the meal plus $30 gratuity, and you come in to save the day with $9 in shrapnel to show him up, and you don't think it's rude?

Just pay for the meal next time and give a generous tip.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
You both were rude. The father was rude for what he was going to do to the waiter and you were rude to the father with how you handled it. Giving extra tip to the waiter was fine but the way you went about it was rude to the father even if he deserved it.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
What you did a nice thing but you'll now have to deal with the drama as a result of it. The question is, was it worth it to you?

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
There's nothing wrong with chipping in with the tip, there's something wrong with someone expressly saying he doesn't want it and you doing it anyway.

And for what?

A measly $9 will not magically make the day for a waiter, whom you will never see again. Yet you are going to have to deal with your father in law for the rest of his life. You need to figure out where your priorities are OP, and kiss up to the in laws.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's rude to do that when someone else is paying, but in your circumstance, the dad was being an asshole over something so small and petty. You did the right thing, whether that was laying it out in front of him or giving it secretly to the waiter.

Now, the dad is clearly a petty guy, so he will hold this gesture against you most likely.

Kylarean

Oct 25, 2017
Gig Harbor, WA
He was an ass and you might have some drama come your way.

You probably would have been better off by going back in after the fact (or say your going to the bathroom or something) and giving the waiter the money directly out of sight of the father. That's what my ex did one time her dad took us out to eat (there were 8 or 9 of us) and he got mad that he didn't get a whole fish for his meal. The menu clearly said it wash half a fish, but he got mad at the waitress and left no tip. So my ex gathered up money from the rest of us after we got up from the table and went back into the restaurant and gave her the money.

Zac Dynamite

Oct 27, 2017
He upset his gf and her family and could have avoided this by discreetly tipping the waiter. He just needed to say he needed to go to the bathroom when walking to the car go back inside, tip the waiter, and go to the bathroom to close the loop.
Close a loop? I guess what I am asking is what exactly happened here that would make anyone upset?

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
You weren't rude. Her father was being a complete dick over something trivial.

I often add to the tip on the rare occasion that I go out to eat. Or else I'll do the ol' "oh, at least let me pay the tip" if someone offers to buy my meal.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
The father was rude, but you realize you're making a public statement by putting extra money in front of everyone. Think about what you're trying to accomplish here. I'm not saying theres a right or wrong way, just think about what you want to prioritize. What you did was recenter the conversation around you and the father on top of just rewarding the waiter.

Deleted member 3465

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
Damn what a weird thing for them to complain about in the first place. Personally I think you did the right thing. Them getting upset at you too is just petty and unnecessary drama imo. I can't stand when people make a problem out of everything. He doesn't lose anything by you paying extra. If his pride is hurt then that's on him and his own insecurities. *shrug*

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
You should have offered/insisted to pickup the entire tip. Otherwise you are making your GF's dad look cheap. He would have been well within his rights to pocket the $9 himself.

JackSwift

Oct 28, 2017
This is YOUR tip, from your pocket. Dad has no say in this transaction. Not rude at all, he shouldn't care what you do with your money, if he feels offended by it, that isn't your problem. If he doesn't want to feel emasculated, maybe he shouldn't have been a dumbass.

Ant

Oct 27, 2017
When we were travelling in the states I felt my friends were being very very stingy at times. We went to a lovely fish restaurant by the USS midway and the waitress was absolutely the best. Making sure we had what we needed at all times, even brought us a complimentary drink. However, one of our party had to rechoose their meal because there wasn't any more.

This then led to the rest of our party feeling that this was the waitresses fault and at the end it came to close to 200 USD. They felt a tip of 10 was enough due to the issue with the order.

I didn't agree with this and slipped another 20 in with the money as I offered to bring the bill to her.

I don't agree with excessive tipping but the fact the restaurant was out of a certain dish was not the waitresses fault and she couldn't have been more apologetic for it.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
No, everyone has to share a single napkin at the table. No extras or everyone gets offended. Just politely ask for it when it's your turn.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
next time you go out to eat with him bring a stack napkins and slam them on the table before anyone asks for more