TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah maybe objectively, but stuff like Odyssey/Luggis mansion looks amazing because it's designed for the system and its capablitiles.

DQ11 and the Witcher are technically impressive, but when the draw distance is absolutely horrendous (15 hours into DQ11 and it doesn't bother me but it's VERY noticeable) and texture/lighting cut back, it's not that good looking.
A more cartoony art-style doesn't mean that the graphics in those games aren't impressive, considering what the system is capable of. The textures and geometry are by no means lacking in those games. The Witcher 3 on Switch may be going for more realistic graphics but its visuals are also at a much lower resolution and the textures in a lot of areas are low quality, even when compared to just major Switch releases. Its impressive but a downgraded port will never look quite as good as a game made ground up for a system
Again, I just disagree. It's "downgraded" when we think about how much better it looks on PS4 and PC, but it still looks fantastic on Switch despite looking much worse than those versions.

I mean, look at this:

switch_witcher3_01.jpg

switch_witcher3_03.jpg
switch_witcher3_04.jpg

switch_witcher3_02.jpg

There's a lot of different aspects to this that LM3 doesn't even come close to matching.

Sep 25, 2018
Yes. They have taken advantage of the small and claustrophobic scenarios in their favor, they do not have to deal with being working in a huge interconnected world.

It is announced for Switch, baseless speculations aside.

you can say that for most games tho uncharted series or even older god of war games both not fully open so it allow more graphics but no one complains

never played Luigi mansion and don't plan too but it will probably be good just like those other series that are not fully open

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
you can say that for most games tho uncharted series or even older god of war games both not fully open so it allow more graphics but no one complains

never played Luigi mansion and don't plan too but it will probably be good just like those other series that are not fully open
It is not a complaint, it is a partial explanation of why it has good graphics.

In a survival horror game it's something absolutely positive.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
It looks great. I'll be honest, though, Bayonetta 2 and Ori and the Blind Forest also look amazing on Switch.

Dec 11, 2017
It's a really good looking game for sure. The polygon models and animations are awesome. It could be the best come Halloween.

Beyond that, I'm really looking forward to how Bayonetta 3 will look. Astral Chain was really pretty and I imagine that Bayo will look even nicer.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Mario & Rabbids has been the best looking Switch game for a while.
Forgot about that.
I'd put that in my tier 2 as well, it's pretty close to MK8,

Dunno, the combination of 1080/60 and the best/most creatively crafted "worlds" in all of the system still maybe puts MK8D on top for me.

Stuff like Sweet Sweet Canyon, RR64, Wild Woods, Shy Guy Falls + many more are straight up the most pleasant things to look at on the system for me. Certain BOTW moments at night with moon lighting are right there too.

but the real answer is pokken DX's sub 720p playing butt

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Forgot about that.
I'd put that in my tier 2 as well, it's pretty close to MK8,

Dunno, the combination of 1080/60 and the best/most creatively crafted "worlds" in all of the system still maybe puts MK8D on top for me.

Stuff like Sweet Sweet Canyon, RR64, Wild Woods, Shy Guy Falls + many more are straight up the most pleasant things to look at on the system for me. Certain BOTW moments at night with moon lighting are right there too.

but the real answer is pokken DX's sub 720p playing butt

Total lack of AA kills MK8D for me as best looking game. 1080p/60fps is an achievement but I feel like Smash 5 is a better looking game while doing that.

I personally feel like MK8D has been surpassed by a lot of games visually mainly because I think the rendering techniques used in the 2017 and beyond games are more appealing and I can live with 900p.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Total lack of AA kills MK8D for me as best looking game. 1080p/60fps is an achievement but I feel like Smash 5 is a better looking game while doing that.

I personally feel like MK8D has been surpassed by a lot of games visually mainly because I think the rendering techniques used in the 2017 and beyond games are more appealing and I can live with 900p.
I do have smash rated higher than most. It's right up there for me. Whereas I barely see it mentioned by others at times

the no AA isn't great. But neither is it that great in Odyssey, BOTW, Astral. It's good in M+R but the picture is a bit blurry for me . The sharpness of ARMS, MK8, and and Smash is more appealing for me, especially on larger screens

I definitely don't disagree that the MK8 is outdated in some technique rendering. But the games with better techniques don't look better. We can probably all agree that ARMS looks better technically than MK8D? I mean, it looks to be same engine, but just upgraded/built for switch.

but to me ARMS doesn't look better than MK8. No environements, levels, presentation, etc. I'm not even seeing ARMS in this thread, despite being a direct upgrade in the engine over MK8.

So that's a example for me the rendering techniques don't always superseed what is crafted by the team artistically

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
There's a difference between the most impressive and the best looking. TW3 running at lower than low settings and sub 720p sure as hell isn't better looking than stuff that is made for the platform. The scale doesn't matter for visuals when there's massive pop in and everything in the distance looks like clay.