• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is Mass Effect Andromeda worth playing now in 2020?

• Yes

Votes: 296 48.3%
  • No

Votes: 317 51.7%

• Total voters

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The game is on sale right now on Steam for like 10 bucks and I have always been interested in trying it out. I don't know if there have been any improvements to the game since launch so that's why I would like to know what Era thinks.

Haven't really played Mass Effect in the past, only a little bit of the first one but might as well wait for the remastered trilogy to jump into the first three.

So what do you guys think? Jump into Andromeda now or wait for the trilogy?

Snoogies

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 9, 2020
For $10 it's worth checking out if you can put the memes out of your head. It had some good ideas.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
its an ok game, for 10 bucks its damn worth it yeah. just go in with proper expectations. The devs did an Ok job. They're only human after all

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I bought it a couple years back for $6. Damn good purchase, and I had a blast with the game. Enjoyable characters, fun gameplay and fun enough story. It doesn't do everything beautifully but what it does well it does really damn well

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
It has always been worth playing. It's a great game. Good team members, lots of pretty sights, the Mako whatever its name is car is a TON of fun.

Lexxon

Oct 25, 2017
As a big trilogy fan, the game is decent if you go in with relatively low expectations. It's not the trilogy, it never was going to be, and there is definitely some jank, but the story is decent and the combat is solid. I enjoyed myself, might play again someday prior to the new game (especially if, as rumored, it sorta is a sequel to Andromeda too) but still firmly place it as #4 under all three trilogy games.

Sep 7, 2020
I just started playing it again on gamepass this week. I am enjoying it alot for what it is. I am about 20 hours in its fun to be back in the world of mass effect. its fun for alittle while if you dont have huge expectations going in. Can't wait for the next game and the remasters.

jtb

Oct 25, 2017
I remember wanting to give it a chance and like it a couple months after release, and just found it incredibly boring.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
If you haven't played the original trilogy, then I wouldn't recommend Andromeda being your first impression of the series. Mass Effect 1 and 2 are incredible. 3 falls short in some areas but is still worth playing. Andromeda is overall just a mediocre game and I don't even really think it's worth playing through, even as a Mass Effect fan. I'd say if you should play the trilogy remaster first, and then if you still want more then maybe try out Andromeda. Just don't get your expectations up for it because it's not very good.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Its better than what you would think but its definitely not on the same level as ME2 and ME3 (shit endings aside).

Considering the horror stories about how messy development was, its actually remarkable that the game turned out as decent as it is.

DEFINITELY wait for the remastered trilogy though. Andromeda should not be your first experience with the series.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed it even though the flaws are obvious. I'm thinking about buying it for $10 too, just because Origin and the issues I have with it conflicting with my mods is getting on my nerves.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
It's extremely bland and derivative. If your investment in Mass Effect is for the story/characters, this isn't the game you're looking for. Even the tone feels off.

blacklotus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Andromeda is a good game. It suffers mostly for the shadow that the trilogy casts upon it and the high bar that it left. Also, most of the characters lack a lot of charisma, especially the protagonist.

But it's a good game. Finished it and was sad they didn't follow through. And did it before some patches.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I do not regret my time with it. It still has problems - BIG problems - and it's my least-favorite of the Mass Effect series. But it has some highlights, some fun gameplay, and some fun characters.

I'm confident giving it my own personal 6/10 on a 10-scale system. It's just above average and doesn't come within spitting distance of the original trilogy, but there are good times to be had.

darthbob

One Winged Slayer - Shinra Employee
Nov 20, 2017
Played it through the first time pretty recently. It was fun, quite enjoyable on PC.

Rezbit

Oct 26, 2017
It's pretty janky but I found the biggest issue was it's just boring. I can barely recall a thing about it.

The ending to 3 sucked, but at least it was memorable.

Derkon

Oct 25, 2017
Skip it. Could be using your time to play a better game. May sour you on the rest of the series if you are waiting for the remaster.

OP
OP
HypedBulborb

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If you haven't played the original trilogy, then I wouldn't recommend Andromeda being your first impression of the series. Mass Effect 1 and 2 are incredible. 3 falls short in some areas but is still worth playing. Andromeda is overall just a mediocre game and I don't even really think it's worth playing through, even as a Mass Effect fan. I'd say if you should play the trilogy remaster first, and then if you still want more then maybe try out Andromeda. Just don't get your expectations up for it because it's not very good.
Its better than what you would think but its definitely not on the same level as ME2 and ME3 (shit endings aside).

Considering the horror stories about how messy development was, its actually remarkable that the game turned out as decent as it is.

DEFINITELY wait for the remastered trilogy though. Andromeda should not be your first experience with the series.
Yeah, this is kinda what I was worried about, I don't know if I should play this before playing the trilogy...

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
It never was, and it will never be. Some people will say they fixed the game with the patches, but that's very far from the truth. There were only a few patches and they most touched up the scenes that became memes, some though remain broken.

But the real problems of Andromeda have never been the technical ones. They are just easy to make fun of. You're better off playing a good game instead.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
It's a good game that doesn't reach quite the heights of the trilogy, perhaps not surprising as that has 3 games to set up a lot of the great story moments and characters. I enjoyed it and still found characters to love.

I am also going to point out that there's a lot on Era that tend to be very hyperbolic about this game and BioWare in general. They pretty much act like it killed their dog. For $10 it's certainly worth it and you'll have fun.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
It's as patched up as it's ever going to get, but it still crashed a couple of times and had to build shaders every time I launched it when I played it in 2019.

The bigger issue is that I just don't think it's worth the time. I played it on a free Origin Access trial, so I paid zero for it, and I still walked away unhappy. It didn't do anything I liked about Mass Effect.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would hold off on playing it if you haven't played the originals, but mainly because it has the best combat of the series and if you go back to play 1-3 you're going to have trouble adjusting and it will take away from
Your enjoyment of those games. Better off going 1-Andromeda, I personally enjoyed andromeda and think it's worth the $30
I paid for it and especially worth $10. It has its problems but is still a solid game

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Every week, every thread, same answer :

no.

Gameplay is fun and the best ME ever been by far. Class and power building is cool and open, lets you have tons of fun.
Everything is bad, very bad. Exploration is boring, characters are horrible, world and story goes nowhere, doesn't have any intersting or new idea, everything feels cheap and padded, there's nothing but huge conflicts in design and story at every corner...

Its really a question of price, but a question of time.

Its not worth your time.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I'm really not a fan of the game, but I'd say it's worth it for $10 for a single playthrough.

Just try to avoid the bad, open world side missions required to 100% each planet. The payoff isn't worth it, and none of the dinky little misisons are satisfactory.

I don't love the campaign or loyalty missions in the game either, but at least their closer to the Mass Effect content I like.

If there's one good thing to say about the game it's that the final mission is really solid.

j3d1j4m13

Feb 24, 2019
Skip anything in the tasks section (collect 20 this and that) and it can be a pretty good time.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Forget the bugs and memes, the game is horribly boring to play. No, it's not worth it. The only way I would recommend playing it is through Game Pass.

Ghostfacedon

Apr 17, 2019
Tl;dr. To make a long post short, it is worth 10 bucks, imo.

Andromeda is a solid 6 out of 10. I say that as someone who played it day one during the height of the shenanigans. I revisited it earlier this year and did a 100% planet viability run.

The combat is good, as you are able to mix and match different powers. Also, creating profiles you can easily switch during battle is nice. Movement is good with the jetpack and biotic fluidity.

The crafting system for weapons/armor is nice. You can actually create some cool and powerful builds.

Now, the story and characters. The story is ok and some of your squad is good. I would suggest stcking with the main story missions and only veering off course if that pulls you into the game.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
I'd rate it a solid ~6.5-7 after the patch fixes. It's no where near as awful as people like to say. I enjoyed my time with it overall.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
I recently played it and its problems, as others have said, are not really the graphics or glitches.

This video is a perfect summary

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
It's a solid game. Just don't go in expecting Mass Effect 4. Easily has the most fun combat in the series and not all the team members are bad.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. The main storyline and the combat are great. It's all the side-fluff that takes away from the experience. The main missions, I promise you, are a lot of fun.

Oct 27, 2017
As a curiosity, an academic exercise, I say go for it. It's flaws are interesting and I'm glad I played it earlier this year.

I don't think it's a good game.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
10 bucks? Sure why not. Just don't go in expecting a super satisfying rpg or a decent Mass Effect game. cause it's not.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
its an ok game, for 10 bucks its damn worth it yeah. just go in with proper expectations. The devs did an Ok job. They're only human after all

YN0p46G.gif

Tawney Bomb

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I grabbed it on sale last week and have been playing it and enjoying it a lot. I also haven't played any other Mass Effect game, so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
No. It's a well below average game, not worthy of the franchise. There are much better games out there more worth your time, even if you are a ME fan.