Is Mass Effect Andromeda worth playing now in 2020?

• Yes

Votes: 296 48.3%
  • No

Votes: 317 51.7%

• Total voters

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I played it at launch and didn't completely hate it, the combat was fun but I can not remember a single character's name in that game.

FisherTea

May 24, 2020
I'd say if you aren't a fan of the series it isn't really worth it. I absolutely adore Mass Effect and even I found Andromeda to be pretty average overall and outright boring for decent lengths of time.

It you do play it I'd avoid the fetch quest style 'additional tasks' tab and focus on the other missions.

Nov 16, 2017
Winnipeg
Nope. You're better off going into the next game without ever playing it and this is coming from someone who platinumed the game. It's all-around not a good story with dull characters and even duller performances in regards to acting/dialogue. BioWare's best bet is to straight-up ignore this game completely in terms of the continuity (yes, it's that bad). Just replay the trilogy and then go from there (that's my plan anyway).

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
lol I actually paid full price for this at launch and loved it. The gameplay is leagues ahead of the trilogy. It's obvious as early as the tutorial level which is more interesting than anything in the old games.

I didn't pay much attention to the story and only liked a couple of the squad members. The whole tone of it has a straight to DVD feel. But damn is it fun to shoot things and use force powers.

Rozart

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a huge fan of the Mass Effect games but Andromeda was a complete waste of my time. If you haven't played the trilogy, I suggest skipping Andromeda entirely. It might just sour your opinion on the whole series before you even get the chance to jump into it proper.

The whole game felt like a complete chore to play. So many boring side quests with a bland world to explore. And the story and characters were so dull. I wouldn't even pay $10 for it, OP. You can find a better game to sink your time and money into.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
It's probably the best Mass Effect game to play today. The gameplay is better than in any of the predecessors and while the story might be inferior to the first one, it is quite servicable and well told.

Last edited:

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I love Mass Effect, and while Andromeda was a disappointment and not what I'd hoped for, I still had fun with it. It was worth it for me, maybe it will be for you too.

It also easily has the best combat in the series.

Jul 24, 2018
It feels like Dragon Age 2 of the Mass Effect serie, unique concept with some good characters but badly executed. At least Dragon Age 2 got DLC though hah.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You're gonna get some wild hyperbole posts here trying to be the hottest quote in the thread, but honestly the game is fine. It's not incredible, it's not god-awful. The minute-to-minute gameplay is actually quite good, while the characters and story are rather bland. Some of the scenery on planets are also quite nice, while others are kinda drab. While I wouldn't recommend trying to do a 100% run, it's a fun enough romp through the main missions, especially for just $10. It's a solid 6-6.5/10, if you're using the entire 10-point scale.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Gameplay is great. Everything else is a turd. At least compared to what we got before, which is really why everyone hates it.

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
I played this game last month. It was my first ME... the game feels and looks a lot better compared to the launch, but still, its not that good, imo.

I don't like giving numbers to games but I think it was a solid 5 of 10. The gameplay was good, at least.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Of course it's worth it for $10. I swear the discourse around this game is so detached from the reality of what it actually was.

Andromeda is a good game. 7/10. Highly recommended for hardcore Bioware/Mass Effect fans, but everyone else they should have waited for a sale or discount. Maybe around $40-$50.

But somehow that narrative got twisted over the years resulting in threads like this.

Andromeda's a pretty good game, easy to recommended. Especially in its current state. Have fun OP.

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I voted no. But for $10 bucks I think it's worth speeding through the story at least. Just so you know what's going on when the sequel comes out.

The game may have had some bugs patched, but you can't fix the mediocre protagonist, and bland set of squad mates. Nor can you make the side content and worlds compelling and less boring to explore. I don't believe they've changed any of the bad menus and interfaces, specifically the awful crafting system. And the combat system, while a leap forward in some respects, it's a downgrade in others. Not being able to command squad powers is a huge deal to me. Awful decision, never seem to do what I need when I need them to.

In short, yes to speed through the story. No if you're looking for a full featured enjoyable experience.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
There are so many better games and Andromeda is such a time sink. Under no circumstances do I recommend playing the game.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
How much is your time worth to you? If you got nothing else to play and go in with your expectations in check then you will be entertained. Really better off playing some of the other offerings on EA Access.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
it's not a question of money but time. there are tons better games to spend your time on. Another vote for No.

Oct 25, 2017
No.

I tried it earlier this year and couldn't go on after a couple hours. The combat was bland and a huge step down from the original, companions were dreadfully bad, and the story was full enough that I didn't feel like I was going to be missing anything by bailing when I did.

Edward

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
The story and characters aren't the best but it has some really good ideas, fun worlds to explore and IMO has a really good combat system. Well worth playing for cheap or on EA access if its on there.

It's always been a solid 7.5 game to me and there's nothing wrong with a 7.5 game. Not everything can be 10/10.

Labyrinthe

Mar 12, 2018
Yeah it's worth it! Havarl and Kadara are a boring mess but the game is still very fun and the gameplay is awesome and fast.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
I'll just be another voice in the choir. Game has the best combat of any Mass Effect game, but the writing and gameplay beyond combat completely failed to grab me in anyway.

It could be solid if you go in with that mindset and also download the mod that gives you max crafting materials.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
It's an okay to below average game. It's worth $10, but is it worth the time vs playing something more compelling? Probably not.

I'd rather play something new, revisit 2, or maybe 3 with the dlc I never played.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Depends. Do you have another and better sci-fi action roleplaying game with great visuals and above average combat packed with content? If so, probably not (like, I wouldn't play Diablo 1 when I had D2 or D3).

It's not a game you shouldn't miss out but it's also not as bad as many people make it. Combat definitely is an improvement over the other ME games and so are the visuals. Storywise it's still better than ME3 but that doesn't say much.

If you can grab it cheap, sure, go for it. As I said, if you don't know a better game, you can't go wrong for ten bucks.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
It's average and definitely worth 10 bucks. It would be more highly regarded if it didn't have Mass Effect in its name.

FantasticMrSnake

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 25, 2017
Yes it is, the story is a little silly, but it's fun to play, especially for a low price, i think i paid ÂŁ5 for it on PSN, if you can in pc i think there are good mods for it also.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I remember not picking it up initially because of era word of mouth.

One of my favorite games of this gen. I'd say go for it.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
I would recommend just paying for a month of EA access, or whatever it's called now, since Andromeda is on it. If you're the type of person that is looking for good writing and characters from a Mass Effect game, then I think you'll find Andromeda to be sorely disappointing. That said, on a mechanical level Andromeda is really fun to play. The shooting, powers, and movement all feel good, and they ironed out most of the big issue bugs so that isn't really an issue.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
Of course it's worth it for $10. I swear the discourse around this game is so detached from the reality of what it actually was.

Andromeda is a good game. 7/10. Highly recommended for hardcore Bioware/Mass Effect fans, but everyone else they should have waited for a sale or discount. Maybe around $40-$50.

But somehow that narrative got twisted over the years resulting in threads like this.

Andromeda's a pretty good game, easy to recommended. Especially in its current state. Have fun OP.

I think saying Andromeda is a good game is quite detached from reality.

I mean, if Andromeda is a 7/10, what is a 5/10 for you? Or a 3/10?

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, Florida
I'll try to make this easy for you:

Do you like shallow repetitive open world tasks that amount to busy work i.e. Most Ubisoft games? If yes, you will love this game, if not, look away

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Look at it as a side story in the series and not a sequel and I think you will have fun with it. Thats the mentality I went in with and had a good time. Does it stand up to the original games? Hell no...but it is decent on its own.

Oct 29, 2017
No. Spend your time on a different game. While it has some moments that are enjoyable, it's a very uneven experience with bland uninteresting characters.

Jan 4, 2018
The combat is solid, Ryder is a fun protagonist, the crew has a couple of standouts despite what a lot of people say (seriously, if you don't appreciate Drack's background or Jaal's character arc then I don't know what you wanted) and i actually like the story and what it implies going forward. Probably the biggest negative for me is it being bloated with non-essential quests and large expanses of land that kind of slow down access to meat of the game.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
It's an okay game, but it's a bad Mass Effect game. If you're interested because you have a thing for mediocre games and are looking for something cheap? Sure. Dive in. If you're looking for some more of the Mass Effect magic? Forget about it.

DrDarkStryfe

Oct 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
The main story stuff is pretty damn good, but it gets bogged down in the gameplay loop of the planets once you "liberate" them; then it becomes a grind of doing several of the same three missions over and over to fill up a bar.

I actually think the final act is incredibly strong, and it only beaten out by the Suicide Mission as best in the series.