• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Will Smith is far more famous IMO and I don't think he's the most famous actor. I can't say who would be the most famous as an objective statement, but I would go with Leonardo Di Caprio or Harrison Ford

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
There are people in this thread listing Arnold Schwarzeneggar , all his biggest movies are in the 80's through the first half of the 90's. He barely did anything in the 2000's since becoming governor besides Terminator movies and Expendables. Is he irrelevant now?
T2 happened and on top of that he's endlessly more charismatic than Clint.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Erm...he's well known but probably not.

Hanks, Cruise, and Leo are all more popular I'd say.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
T2 happened and on top of that he's endlessly more charismatic than Clint.

You sure about that?

tumblr_oox8qssugs1ultjoto2_r1_500.gif

I love Arnold, but Clint was the original badass.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A week or so before Avengers came out I saw him in a restaurant in NOLA and I left him alone and ate my food. It was very good food. That's my Sam Jackson story.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not even close. You think there are more people who know who Sam Jackson is than there are people who know who Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt are? Even amongst African-American actors, Will Smith is more famous.

He's in everything so everybody should know him, but they don't.

Shadownet

Oct 29, 2017
Fucking Gene Hackman. Dude haven't done anything that's memorable since 2001 and before that since the 70's.

He's not even on the same pedastal as Clooney, Brad Pitt and Tom Hank in term of recognition, also 50+ other people before him.

Moosichu

Oct 25, 2017
He's stuck around a lot longer than other actors who I would have previously called more famous.

He's defo up there. I don't think there's anyone on a level above him fame-wise, just other actors in the same ball park.

Scarlet Johanson must be up there as well.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
There are people in this thread listing Arnold Schwarzeneggar , all his biggest movies are in the 80's through the first half of the 90's. He barely did anything in the 2000's since becoming governor besides Terminator movies and Expendables. Is he irrelevant now?

He's the Terminator. That alone solidifies his relevancy. That role is bigger within pop culture than anything Gene Hackman has done

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Anyone who doesn't know who Gene Hackman is must be a young Gen Z person or someone who really doesn't watch much cinema. And no I'm not referring to Gene Hackman's Lex Luthor here, I'm referring to Gene's iconic movies like "The Poseidon Adventure" "The French Connection 1 and 2" "The Conversation, "The Scarecrow" "The Birdcage" "Under Fire" "Hoosiers" "BAT 21" "Mississipi Burning," "Crimson Tide" "Enemy of the State"etc

Just look at his rotten page:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/gene_hackman/

Gene Hackman was in tons of critically acclaimed movies.
888.jpg

I've never heard of him or any of those movies.

Moosichu

Oct 25, 2017
He's the Terminator. That alone solidifies his relevancy. That role is bigger within pop culture than anything Gene Hackman has done

A lot of people won't know who Gene Hackman is. Arnold Schwarznegger is defo up there though. He's parodied enough that you will have likely heard if him, even if not seen him in a movie.

Thornton Reed

Oct 30, 2017
He's easily top 5 and probably the most famous black actor.

Show a 12 year old will smith or denzel and they won't know they are. Do the same with Samuel and they tell you it's nick fury or mace windu.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Gonna go with Chaplin, easily.

You have to take into account how omnipresent these names are throughout the years and decades and I am nearly certain Chaplin takes the cake.

Sam Jackson is a very very good current bet, tho.

This is actually a really good answer. He's not the most famous actor of the present moment, but if the question were something like "Pick an actor that you think any given random person born since the invention of cinema would recognize", then Charlie Chaplin is by far the best choice.

Iron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who doesn't know who Gene Hackman is must be a young Gen Z person or someone who really doesn't watch much cinema. And no I'm not referring to Gene Hackman's Lex Luthor here, I'm referring to Gene's iconic movies like "The Poseidon Adventure" "The French Connection 1 and 2" "The Conversation, "The Scarecrow" "The Birdcage" "Under Fire" "Hoosiers" "BAT 21" "Mississipi Burning," "Crimson Tide" "Enemy of the State"etc

Just look at his rotten page:

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/gene_hackman/

Gene Hackman was in tons of critically acclaimed movies.

I haven't heard of ANY of those movies. Is this an America-centric thing?

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Nope.

I'm not entirely sure who is but there are definitely tons more above him.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
Gene Hackman isn't even in the conversation of the most famous actors in Hollywood...but I recommend many of his films. The Conversation, The Royal Tenenbaums and Unforgiven are all excellent and you should watch them.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
LMFAO at people just listing their favourite actor.

The real answer is probably someone like The Rock or Tom Cruise. Actors with wide universal appeal. These are household names worldwide for people of all ages, young and old.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
By that logic any actor of the 80's and 90's should be forgotten by now since we're 20 years later into almost 2020.

Yay, you're getting it! If an actor hasn't been in a film since the 80s or 90s, they're probably not as famous in 2018 as someone who has been in many movies since the 90s. The vast majority of actors/actresses probably are forgotten fairly quickly unless they continue to star in films and stay relevant in modern times.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
Fucking Gene Hackman lol

It's probably RDJ but Samuel L is definitely way up there.