Status
Not open for further replies.

Cali32

Oct 11, 2020
On PC is pretty bad. Just look at this CPU utilization...

FhWlovCWYAEshjY

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
someone should make a thread called "what do you think a game engine is and how do you think it works" just so i can read it please, and no one who knows is allowed to actually explain it

please

Zeshile

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
Kansas
But if it was the best Kojima would have used it for Death Stranding

CONCHOBAR

Oct 25, 2017
RE Engine easy. Developed in house, scales from Switch to PS5, and used in all kinds of games from DMCV to Resident Evil 7 to Monster Hunter Rise to Street Fighter 6. And it runs like a dream to boot, but that was expected coming off the similarly great MT Framework.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Whatever engine Rockstar uses is the best. Imagine having an open world with the best graphics in the business, fantastic physics, best lighting etc

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I think its a good engine and people dont give it enough credit for what it accomplishes because its flaws but in terms if proprietary engines I feel like Asobo's flight sim engine, REDEngine, And maybe ForzaTech or Polyphonys are equally as good. Unreal is the best overall probably.
REDEngine gave the developers behind TW3 and CBP a metric fuckton of trouble, so much so that they're literally abandoning it and switching to UE5 going forward. And those others ones are most likely perfect examples of proprietary engines that, thanks to years of iteration are very good at what they're made for, but god help game developers who would try to say, make a dragon age game with any of them.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
But isn't this proof of how great the engine is?
No, it's proof that they dedicated a metric fuckton of time to a specific feature, one that originally was planned to launch with the game but had to, along with various OTHER features, be delayed, which was caused by them having a toolset that hampered the development of the title. Hence a 1 year delay in the first place to save the project because it would've released in a state akin to CBP2077 if they hadn't been given time to cut a shit ton of things and polish/iterate on the things that were left in while focusing their live service model on adding the content that had to be delayed.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
someone should make a thread called "what do you think a game engine is and how do you think it works" just so i can read it please, and no one who knows is allowed to actually explain it

please
I'm not an expert in the matter but one thing I'm certain of is game engines require oil changes every 5,000hrs of gamedev time and a timing belt with water pump replacement service job every 105,000hrs of gamedev time.

Failure to do so will result in complete destruction of the game engine.

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
There's no such thing as a 'best game engine'. It's like asking what's the best paint; oil, acrylic, watercolour, gouache? It depends what you're trying to paint.

However, there is a worst game engine, and it's Gamebryo

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
But if it was the best Kojima would have used it for Death Stranding
Kojima being given leeway to just straight up visit multiple studios to see which proprietary engine would suit his needs, post releasing a trailer that wasn't even running on the engine he would later use, is such an anomaly in this industry's history tbh.

Slipspace has much better physics
No it doesn't.
Because it's doing other things on the hardware it's running on leaving more room for a higher visual fidelity. Along with being in a different genre entirely that doesn't say, require a procedural facial animation system for 111,000 lines of dialogue.

A feature that literally got delayed because of the herculean effort it took to get it working as well as it currently does.

zaxil456

Aug 4, 2020
Reading the title I was second guessing whether I missed something recently to suggest this. I'm not a developer but I don't think Slipspace appears that special.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Halo is not a very visually impressive game, 120FPS is not that impressive. It runs like garbage on PC.

Nah, it's not that great.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I think it is a really impressive engine for what it is, but it only covers one extremely dense and diverse game. Most other inhouse game engines cover several games across numerous genres. For example, the engine that ran Super Monkey Ball on GameCube also ran F-Zero GX and several Yakuza games up until the PlayStation 3 gen, that is a sign of a more impressive engine to me.

Halo Infinite on Xbox One X with 60fps mode is one of the most impressive technical feats I have seen but again, just one game.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
Unreal gets to stay in the doghouse until Epic fixes their stutter, but I expect the rest of the industry to lap them like last gen and the gen before that.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
If it's so great, 343 must be even more incompetent than people are saying as they're using the best engine out there.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
I think we need a new rule, that people who have no idea about engines are forbidden from having opinions on them, which would include most of us.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
Not really, HaloForzaGuy.

It's probably better as a proprietary engine than some give it credit for, but there are tons of better prop engines such as Guerilla's Decima (so far, the most impressive one among the proprietary ones), Asobo's engine, whatever engine Naughty Dog use for their games, Playground's engine, etc. But the best overall remains Unreal Engine without a doubt.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
I don't know, talking from opinion of course but:
  • Looks mediocre. Nothing like the original trailer for sure.
  • Runs very bad for how it looks on PC.
  • Dev team takes forever to do anything with it (though its 343, they may take the same time with any other engine).

OP
OP
HaloForzaGuy

HaloForzaGuy

Nov 11, 2017
Enjoy the rest of ur weekend guys
I think it is a really impressive engine for what it is, but it only covers one extremely dense and diverse game. Most other inhouse game engines cover several games across numerous genres. For example, the engine that ran Super Monkey Ball on GameCube also ran F-Zero GX and several Yakuza games up until the PlayStation 3 gen, that is a sign of a more impressive engine to me.

Halo Infinite on Xbox One X with 60fps mode is one of the most impressive technical feats I have seen but again, just one game.

Frostbite started with battlefield I think and now covers many genres

Slipspace could do the same, I think everwild could definitely work in Slipspace with a open world setting

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
My name is PlayStationisdabest and my completely impartial and evidence-backed opinion is that the Decima engine is the best. It's very handsome and strong and generous.

And yes, before any trolls come at me, I know what an engine is and what it does. It's what makes all the graphics work and stuff.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
One of the worst decisions regarding game engines was using visual benchmark tech demos for marketing purposes.

I think we need a new rule, that people who have no idea about engines are forbidden from having opinions on them, which would include most of us.
I would genuinely cosign a ban on "gamer has an opinion about a game engine" threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.