Oct 27, 2017
In my mathematics class I had a teacher that said a similar thing to what you said and he was accused of being "Eurocentric"
how would you respond to that
Could you clarify exactly what you mean by this? I'm going to speak much more broadly than in the previous post, but other non-European societies made considerable contributions to the development of mathematics. Ancient Chinese mathematicians developed early methods for solving linear congruences and "Master Sun's" contains an early demonstration of the "Chinese Remainder Theorem". Ancient Indian mathematicians made contributions particularly to trigonometry and trigonometric functions while Middle Eastern mathematicians greatly improved the development of algebra as we know it today (Al-Khwrazmi and Omar Khayyam particularly note-worthy in their contributions) and perhaps most notably shaped our system of numerics and representation of numbers (a subtle but important point is also how they developed the concept of a number).

Few would play-down the accomplishments and contributions of many other non-European civilisations to mathematics, but it would be simply false to ignore how mathematics as we know it was developed very significantly and substantially by predominantly European societies (especially if you're including the Ancient Greeks as a European civilisation; Euclid himself , and Diophantus, was/were anachronistically an African mathematician), particularly (during Ancient Greece presuming your including them and) from the fourteenth century until the nineteenth century (which charted things such as the shift from synoptic algebra to symbolic algebra, the solving of general forms of cubics and quartics, the fundamental theorem of algebra, the early development of calculus, the development of complex numbers, the development of abstract algebra and the beginning of the study of modular forms and elliptic curves both of which are incredibly important modern concepts via Gauss's Disquisitiones Arithmeticae, and that's not to mention the development and formalisation of analysis). Mathematical achievements and contributions now are certainly less derived from European sources, but it is not at all simply imparting a European bias to acknowledge that Ancient Greece mathematicians were considerably more advanced and important to the development of mathematics as we know it today than the Ancient Egyptians were, and it's not really false to acknowledge that in a broader sense European societies did substantially develop mathematics as we know it even though other regions made their own large contributions (particularly India and what we would now refer to as the Middle East).

This is a pretty cool fact.

It bares emphasis that it is loosely speaking. Primarily, this is because The Ancient Greeks did not think of a 'number' as we do today. I have found lecture notes online from a US university (specifically dealing with Eudoxus and the theory of proportions, and how it compares to how real numbers were formalised) here: https://www.math.uh.edu/~shanyuji/History/h-8.pdf if you wish to read a bit more. It's written in a rather accessible manner and seems to not require much mathematical background, but I will be honest that I've only really skimmed it, if you want to read some more about that in a little more detail. EDIT: Upon reading, it does make some claims, such as claiming the theory of proportions delayed the development of numbers (or a non-geometric approach to mathematics) for two thousand years, that I wouldn't look upon very favourably or as entirely accurate even if I can certainly see why one could make that claim, but it definitely gives a good idea at the very least.

EDIT: Missed some words initially

Last edited:
OP
OP

RennerSage

Banned for having an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Could you clarify exactly what you mean by this? I'm going to speak much more broadly than in the previous post, but other non-European societies made considerable contributions to the development of mathematics. Ancient Chinese mathematicians developed early methods for solving linear congruences and "Master Sun's" contains an early demonstration of the "Chinese Remainder Theorem". Ancient Indian mathematicians made contributions particularly to trigonometry and trigonometric functions while Middle Eastern mathematicians greatly improved the development of algebra as we know it today (Al-Khwrazmi and Omar Khayyam particularly note-worthy in their contributions) and perhaps most notably shaped our system of numerics and representation of numbers (a subtle but important point is also how they developed the concept of a number).

Few would play-down the accomplishments and contributions of many other non-European civilisations to mathematics, but it would be simply false to ignore how mathematics as we know it was developed very significantly and substantially by predominantly European societies (especially if you're including the Ancient Greeks as a European civilisation; Euclid himself , and Diophantus, was/were anachronistically an African mathematician), particularly (during Ancient Greece presuming your including them and) from the fourteenth century until the nineteenth century (which charted things such as the shift from synoptic algebra to symbolic algebra, the solving of general forms of cubics and quartics, the fundamental theorem of algebra, the early development of calculus, the development of complex numbers, the development of abstract algebra and the beginning of the study of modular forms and elliptic curves both of which are incredibly important modern concepts via Gauss's Disquisitiones Arithmeticae, and that's not to mention the development and formalisation of analysis). Mathematical achievements and contributions now are certainly less derived from European sources, but it is not at all simply imparting a European bias to acknowledge that Ancient Greece mathematicians were considerably more advanced and important to the development of mathematics as we know it today than the Ancient Egyptians were, and it's not really false to acknowledge that in a broader European societies did substantially develop mathematics as we know it even though other regions made their own large contributions (particularly India and what we would now refer to as the Middle East).
what were the reasons that mathematics developed primarily in Europe....

because before the Arabic World, India etc. were ahead of Europe in that regard...

but then something changed, suddenly shifted and Europe became the predominant place for math and science

what was the big revolution? I have heard some people say the Gutenberg Printing Press was what allowed Europe to dominate those fields compared to other civilizations

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017

Few would play-down the accomplishments and contributions of many other non-European civilisations to mathematics, but it would be simply false to ignore how mathematics as we know it was developed very significantly and substantially by predominantly European societies (especially if you're including the Ancient Greeks as a European civilisation; Euclid himself , and Diophantus, was/were anachronistically an African mathematician), particularly (during Ancient Greece presuming your including them and) from the fourteenth century until the nineteenth century (which charted things such as the shift from synoptic algebra to symbolic algebra, the solving of general forms of cubics and quartics, the fundamental theorem of algebra, the early development of calculus, the development of complex numbers, the development of abstract algebra and the beginning of the study of modular forms and elliptic curves both of which are incredibly important modern concepts via Gauss's Disquisitiones Arithmeticae, and that's not to mention the development and formalisation of analysis). Mathematical achievements and contributions now are certainly less derived from European sources, but it is not at all simply imparting a European bias to acknowledge that Ancient Greece mathematicians were considerably more advanced and important to the development of mathematics as we know it today than the Ancient Egyptians were, and it's not really false to acknowledge that in a broader European societies did substantially develop mathematics as we know it even though other regions made their own large contributions (particularly India and what we would now refer to as the Middle East).

It bares emphasis that it is loosely speaking. Primarily, this is because The Ancient Greeks did not think of a 'number' as we do today. I have found lecture notes online from a US university (specifically dealing with Eudoxus and the theory of proportions, and how it compares to how real numbers were formalised) here: https://www.math.uh.edu/~shanyuji/History/h-8.pdf if you wish to read a bit more. It's written in a rather accessible manner and seems to not require much mathematical background, but I will be honest that I've only really skimmed it, if you want to read some more about that in a little more detail.

Wow, I've read both of your post and at what speed to you even type?
I've never read such a condensed version of the History of Mathematics.
Reading your reply made me feel ignorant of what I've known regarding mathematics.

because before the Arabic World, India etc. were ahead of Europe in that regard...

but then something changed, suddenly shifted and Europe became the predominant place for math and science

what was the big revolution? I have heard some people say the Gutenberg Printing Press was what allowed Europe to dominate those fields compared to other civilizations

Well would you agree that a lot of concepts and ideas were developed in Europe due to trade of knowledge, goods and people happened between these countries.
As european scholars began to exchange and publish information found in other countries, new concepts were introduced and developed.
As much as I'd like to be able to explain it to you as NotVeryFriendly , I don't have a vast knowledge regarding the history of mathematics and it's origin.
I hope you may find at least some sort explanation in this video:

The era of Enlightenment could've happened in the Arabic World, India, China etc.

EDIT: You know what, scrap that. I don't think I'm even qualified to speak about this without having the proper knowledge.

Last edited:
OP
OP

RennerSage

Banned for having an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, I've read both of your post and at what speed to you even type?
I've never read such a condensed version of the History of Mathematics.
Reading your reply made me feel ignorant of what I've known regarding mathematics.

Well would you agree that a lot of concepts and ideas were developed in Europe due to trade of knowledge, goods and people happened between these countries.
As european scholars began to exchange and publish information found in other countries, new concepts were introduced and developed.
As much as I'd like to be able to explain it to you as NotVeryFriendly , I don't have a vast knowledge regarding the history of mathematics and it's origin.
I hope you may find at least some sort explanation in this video:

The era of Enlightenment could've happened in the Arabic World, India, China etc.

EDIT: You know what, scrap that. I don't think I'm even qualified to speak about this without having the proper knowledge.

yes, i think the fact that europe was more fragmented then other civilizations speaks alot to this

more competition

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
Not that I agree with the OP, he's clearly rather out there, but there are some rather odd things here.

I can speak with respect to their mathematical accomplishments (having studied mathematical history as part of a mathematics degree)

Did you study the history of math with a historian or mathematician? The two tend to have very different views to put it lightly.

Pythagorus... [is] known (via historical documents) to have been able to demonstrate 'proofs'... The Greeks' discovery of incommensurable magnitudes (the Pythagoreans initially believed the magnitudes of any two line segments numbers could be written as the integer multiple of some unit until one of them proved that in fact this is not the case, it is suspected by proving the irrationality of the square root of two)...

Got any contemporary sources for either of these claims? I see mathematicians claim these a lot, but they tend to point to Roman sources from half a millennium later that often contradict the more contemporary sources for Pythagoras. See being a noted vegetarian vs sacrificing a herd of bulls for discovering (in even later versions "proving") something about math.

Best guess: he's a sociology student who was forced to take a physics class as part of his core and he's letting us bask in the salt.

I find social scientists to be far better educated, and more open to good critical thought, on the history of math and science than mathematicians or scientists. This is a weird thing to say.

This is an incredibly complicated question, not to mention probably the biggest open question in History. Why Europe succeeded (or why others failed depending on your point of view) generally is really what you're getting at here. European intellectual ascendancy isn't separable from its general economic and political ascendancy.

The printing press is absolutely not a sufficient, though it was probably necessary, cause of this. Europe was not the only place to have one anyway.

I know you retracted this, and that's a good thing, but I think it's worth pointing out that this is purely supposition. You can make an argument if you wish, but it's not inherently true that large specific intellectual and cultural changes could have just happened anywhere. Frankly I find this very doubtful.

Something similar could have happened, especially in the Arabic world which shares much of Europe's intellectual history, but the question is how similar exactly it would be.

Last edited:

G59

Nov 1, 2017
U.S.
I don't want to derail the thread at all but this seems like a great place to ask. I am very interested in theoretical physics and string theory etc. but I know zero about it and my highest level of traditional study is physics in high school and some algebra stuff in undergrad. What would be a good book for the curious minded person yet non-academic who is interested in this type of stuff?

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
I know you retracted this, and that's a good thing, but I think it's worth pointing out that this is purely supposition. You can make an argument if you wish, but it's not inherently true that large specific intellectual and cultural changes could have just happened anywhere. Frankly I find this very doubtful.

Something similar could have happened, especially in the Arabic world which shares much of Europe's intellectual history, but the question is how similar exactly it would be.

Yeah, what I was trying to go for is that the European region had the right "conditions" for this development to happen. As to what these conditions are, these are all large variables and it's a hard thing to point out as to what brought this "success".
Maybe it was a bubble of "broad thinkers" not feeling constrained or repressed, by the environment they were in (Just one example).

It could've been widely different and indeed something similar could've happened in the Arabic world, but it didn't. It's also a question as to what type of development were to be similar (e.g. free thinkers?, religion not constricting abstract ideas).

Again, I don't have any validity for my knowledge.

OP just made some interesting remarks, which got me thinking.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One interesting thing I've noticed about string theory as a layman (FUCKING IDIOT) is that former string theory superskeptics like Lawrence Krauss have softened their stance as its math and postulations start to have practical empirical applications. Not that they're embracing it but that they're gradually becoming more respectful.

Here's something I think a layman (FUCKING IDIOT) can be certain of. The universe (all the way up and all the way down -and those directions themselves eventually nonsensical) is going to be way weirder than we thought.

I'd be depressed as a theoretical physicist knowing for sure that I'd die long before we even guessed the scale of the up and down.

To clarify- we're assuming a person is somewhere in the middle of the smallest and the largest scales- and even a layman can see the problem with that perspective.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I cannot speak to the Egyptian's general knowledge, I can speak with respect to their mathematical accomplishments (having studied mathematical history as part of a mathematics degree) and say that from this perspective the bolded is just not accurate. The Egyptians had a mathematical system and did have some notable accomplishments; particularly, they were aware of how to find the root of linear equations and quadratic equations, and had a very limited understanding of how to solve certain geometric problems. While in a modern form these are relatively trivial problems, ancient civilisations had to deal with an incredibly inefficient numeration system (both in representation, and 'missing' numbers, for example typically only expressing unit fractions except, oddly, for two-thirds), an unwillingness to deal with certain numbers (e.g. the concept of a 'negative' number), and not being able to do symbolic mathematics. Their solutions to these problems were not 'proofs' but were instead demonstrating an algorithmic approach to solving problems by demonstrating a number of examples.

The Greeks, however, were not only substantially more adept in mathematics, but their work has laid the cornerstone of the development of mathematics as we know it today. Importantly, the Greeks were incredibly knowledgeable of the difference between approximating something and proving something, and it's largely due to the Greeks that we owe this contribution. Although the Egyptians (and Babylonians) may have had an awareness of certain results prior to the Greeks, the Greeks were able to actually prove the truth of the statement rather than to simply demonstrate a heuristic approach to problems. Although it's not clear what the first proof actually was, mathematicians such as Thales, Eudoxus, and Pythagorus are all known (via historical documents) to have been able to demonstrate 'proofs'. The "Theorem of Thales" serves as an early example of a result we know was capable of being proven by the Greeks. The problems the Greeks encountered, and their incredibly clever solutions to these problems, are considerably more advanced than the mathematics of most Ancient Civilisations. The Greeks were aware of the difficulties which arose when working with infinitesimals and infinity, and developed many clever approaches to resolve these. The Greeks' discovery of incommensurable magnitudes (the Pythagoreans initially believed the magnitudes of any two line segments numbers could be written as the integer multiple of some unit until one of them proved that in fact this is not the case, it is suspected by proving the irrationality of the square root of two) and Eudoxus's solution of how to resolve this with the theory of proportions is surprisingly close (considering the development of mathematics at the time) to how real numbers are (or rather, can be) considered via Dedekind Cuts today and shows a clear sophistication which was (as far as we are aware) simply not present in Egyptian mathematics.

The most clear demonstration of the sophistication of the Greeks over any preceding (or indeed many civilisations later than them) civilisation is Euclid's "The Elements". Not only was their sophistication in realising the necessity of certain axioms to avoid the problem of infinite descent in creating definitions (even if, from a modern perspective, his definitions aren't truly definitions) and proving results, but it contributes not only a great deal of geometric results but also a lot of number theoretic results too (primarily in Books 7 to 9 which contain not only the Euclidean algorithm which is still used today to find the greatest common divisors of two numbers, and his proof of the infinitude of primes [knowledgeable of the issues infinity brings and skeptical of it, he phrases this by stating the number of primes exceeds any given magnitude] still cited as one the best and slickest examples of a mathematical proof). The structure of The Elements was designed to introduce axioms (at the beginning), and then introduce definitions, and begin stating and immediately proving results using only the axioms and what has been proven before to justify each step of the proof of a result. This text was absolutely crucial in guiding mathematics, and was even up to the 20th century, the book from which all would begin the study of mathematics due to its incredible structure and foresight. The sophistication of certain arguments, particularly the method of exhaustion (which, loosely speaking, was a way for them to deal with proofs involving limits and convergence) greatly exceeds anything we've seen by the Egyptians to date. Archimedes too had some incredibly deep mathematical results, the significance of which was not known until recent times simply because of the sophistication of the results. In fact, we now know (via private correspondence only discovered in the early 1900s) that he found many of his results by working with infinitesimal magnitudes and infinities but did not publish this at any point because it 'wasn't mathematics' due to the lack of rigour; such manipulations were not done by European mathematicians and in particular physicists until the 16th and 17th century as Calculus began to be developed). His working with these infinitesimals, over a thousand years before others began to develop calculus or consider the manipulation of infinitesimals, alone puts Greek mathematics at a much more advanced state than the Egyptians or earlier civilisations.

Even considering only their development of mathematics, let alone their development in other areas, it is absolutely not true that the Greeks stole all of their intellectual accomplishments from Egypt; in mathematics alone, their accomplishments cannot be understated.

EDIT: However, I will say that even not restricted to mathematics, and considering physics instead, I would be highly, highly surprised to learn the Egyptians were more advanced than the Greeks or that the Greeks' discoveries derive rather easily from the Egyptian's work. Ptolemy's work in creating geocentric astronomical models (although wrong for obvious reasons) immediately springs to mind as one of the defining astronomical models until the 16th and 17th century.

It was the Greeks who established the paragraph though.

Oct 27, 2017
It's a controversial subject. Theoretical physicists and experimental will usually give two answers. Shit, two theoreticians will sometimes.

You're correct that it can't be experimentally verified at the moment, or in the near future. Both advocates and those who dislike it agree on that point.

It does explain a lot and is generally considered an extension to quantum field theory, though there is no way to be sure.

Theory is the wrong word to describe it though. It's definitely now just string hypothesis.

Though I know quite a bit about physics, string theory is way above my head. Maybe All Possible Ways could give a better answer.

Somehow I missed the alert! It is rather late here and I'm on my phone, so sorry in advance for typos and if I get too technical.

I certainly agree that string theory is a work in progress and that experimental checks won't come in anytime soon. What I would say is that it has a lot going in its favor as a candidate for a theory of quantum gravity, and in this aspect it is miles ahead of competitors like loop quantum gravity.

A few things I find impressive about it is that it automatically contains gravity, and that it is free from ultraviolet divergences. It also allows for a microscopical description of the entropy of black holes, in terms of more fundamental degrees of freedom.

It is unfortunate that it is pratically impossible to test directly because of the feebleness of the gravitational interaction, but it is certainly testable in principle, at least. One could also rule it out by finding a gross violation of lorentz invariance (unlikely!) Or if particles exist with very tiny charges, since in all known string theory constructions gravity must be the weakest force.

One crucial thing to emphasize however is that besides its more grandiose purpose as a theory of everything, string theory constructions are actually widely used in very practical fields like condensed matter systems near a critical point and the fluid dynamics of the quark gluon plasma. That is because these systems are strongly interacting and have nearly conformal (scale invariant) dynamics, and so may be described by a conformal field theory (CFT). The connection to string theory is that it was discovered that a certain version of string theory in a warped space is actually equivalent to an ordinary conformal quantum field theory in four dimensions, this is the famous AdS/CFT correspondence. It allows many problems that would be intractable by conventional methods to be solved relatively easily, because the strongly interacting conformal field theory problem is mapped into a problem that is weakly coupled, so that you can use pertubation theory. In this sense, not only is it testable, but already had many sucesses, like the calculation of the viscosity of the quark gluon plasma, an actual state of matter you can make at the LHC!

I don't want to derail the thread at all but this seems like a great place to ask. I am very interested in theoretical physics and string theory etc. but I know zero about it and my highest level of traditional study is physics in high school and some algebra stuff in undergrad. What would be a good book for the curious minded person yet non-academic who is interested in this type of stuff?
At this level, I'd start by reading Brian Greene's book The Elegant Universe, since it is aimed at a general audience, and then see if you can go from there :)

G59

Nov 1, 2017
U.S.
Somehow I missed the alert! It is rather late here and I'm on my phone, so sorry in advance for typos and if I get too technical.

I certainly agree that string theory is a work in progress and that experimental checks won't come in anytime soon. What I would say is that it has a lot going in its favor as a candidate for a theory of quantum gravity, and in this aspect it is miles ahead of competitors like loop quantum gravity.

A few things I find impressive about it is that it automatically contains gravity, and that it is free from ultraviolet divergences. It also allows for a microscopical description of the entropy of black holes, in terms of more fundamental degrees of freedom.

It is unfortunate that it is pratically impossible to test directly because of the feebleness of the gravitational interaction, but it is certainly testable in principle, at least. One could also rule it out by finding a gross violation of lorentz invariance (unlikely!) Or if particles exist with very tiny charges, since in all known string theory constructions gravity must be the weakest force.

One crucial thing to emphasize however is that besides its more grandiose purpose as a theory of everything, string theory constructions are actually widely used in very practical fields like condensed matter systems near a critical point and the fluid dynamics of the quark gluon plasma. That is because these systems are strongly interacting and have nearly conformal (scale invariant) dynamics, and so may be described by a conformal field theory (CFT). The connection to string theory is that it was discovered that a certain version of string theory in a warped space is actually equivalent to an ordinary conformal quantum field theory in four dimensions, this is the famous AdS/CFT correspondence. It allows many problems that would be intractable by conventional methods to be solved relatively easily, because the strongly interacting conformal field theory problem is mapped into a problem that is weakly coupled, so that you can use pertubation theory. In this sense, not only is it testable, but already had many sucesses, like the calculation of the viscosity of the quark gluon plasma, an actual state of matter you can make at the LHC!

At this level, I'd start by reading Brian Greene's book The Elegant Universe, since it is aimed at a general audience, and then see if you can go from there :)

Thank you!

Oct 27, 2017
Did you study the history of math with a historian or mathematician? The two tend to have very different views to put it lightly.

A mathematician (it was as mentioned part of a mathematics degree, and the purpose was to chart the development of mathematics), which is why I would certainly not be able to respond knowledgeably to the later post about why the contribution of Europeans to mathematics was so significant and the factors which lead to this. EDIT: However, I would definitely like you to clarify the bolded.

Got any contemporary sources for either of these claims? I see mathematicians claim these a lot, but they tend to point to Roman sources from half a millennium later that often contradict the more contemporary sources for Pythagoras. See being a noted vegetarian vs sacrificing a herd of bulls for discovering (in even later versions "proving") something about math.

It was studied under a mathematician, but his background originates from the social sciences (particularly history and philosophy which were the subjects of his undergraduate; so certainly has more exposure than most to the social sciences even if it's by no means his area of expertise) which is why he teaches the course. The course was designed to chart the development of mathematics and to teach mathematics by considering contemporary methods rather than designed to be a historical course or focus on/analyse the primary sources from which the information was derived (even though the historical context was indeed important and clarified, given that it's necessary to understand why mathematics developed as it did).

While I cannot gain access to a contemporary source, the reference given in respect to the discoverer of incommensurability and the effect it had on the Pythagoreans and who it may be attributed to was first Thomas Heath's "A History of Greek Mathematics" on page 154 (which details the reasoning to believe why it is attributed to the Pythagoreans) and Kurt Von Fritz's "The Discovery of Incommensurability by Hippasus of Metapontum" (which, as the name suggests, makes the case why it was Hippasus who first proved this even if this is a much less clear manner). We can say definitively it was known by Aristotle's time based on his discussion in Prior Analytics I.23 that it was known that the diagonal of a square was incommensurable with its sides, regardless of whether it was Hippasus who discovered it (and whether he was drowned or not), as Aristotle outlines the proof which is then later shown formally in Euclid's The Elements in Book 10. If you're questioning it being done by Pythagoras (the individual) rather than Pythagoras (the cult) then indeed, to my knowledge there is no evidence to suggest it was Pythagoras of Samos who personally proved this (but I don't think this is a common misunderstanding as I've never heard it claimed, even if their is a very substantial misunderstanding about what he accomplished mathematically; most of his 'contributions' are that of the cult rather than as the individual or in some cases falsely associated). It is not a very controversial statement that the Ancient Greeks were aware of incommensurability and how to prove their existence. We know this directly from Aristotle and Euclid's writing. We just don't know what the first example found was or the initial proof (even if Aristotle's comments are very suggestive).

The story you're referring to is in reference to commentary by Euclid in The Elements (where he details a proof of Pythagoras' Theorem, for which you are indeed accurate) in which he attributes the proof to the Pythagoreans (despite little evidence to suggest this theorem originates from the Pythagoreans). It is perhaps this to which you are referring to the claim that many mathematicians attribute this to Pythagoras despite no evidence existing that the Pythagoreans discovered or were the first to prove the theorem in spite of the name.

Last edited:

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
A mathematician (it was as mentioned part of a mathematics degree, and the purpose was to chart the development of mathematics), which is why I would certainly not be able to respond knowledgeably to the later post about why the contribution of Europeans to mathematics was so significant and the factors which lead to this. EDIT: However, I would definitely like you to clarify the bolded.

The most obvious way to explain the difference are historians of math are professional scholars of history that are applying historical methods, training, and perspectives to the study of the historical development of math. They are interested in math the same way historians can be interested in any phenomenon. Mathematicians who dable in the history of mathematics are amateurs who have an interest in the source material. They are generally interested in Math in a way that is more antiquarian in nature than historical.

It's of course fine that mathematicians are interested in this, the problems tend to come from the fact that often such highly skilled individuals as mathematicians will ignore the fact that they are indeed out of their area of expertise and within that of the historian. In my experience, this is actually much more of a problem in the sciences, especially physics, but you'll still get people that very stubbornly don't actually think about what it means to deal with history.

As I've brought up a few times here, and many times on GAF, it reminds me of Steve Shapin's joke on the subject. A surgeon asks his historian friend for some tips on how to writing history as he's planning on working on the history of medicine in his retirement. The historian replies, "sure, but you'll need to give me some tips on surgery as I was thinking about picking that up when I retire."

It was studied under a mathematician, but his background originates from the social sciences (particularly history and philosophy which were the subjects of his undergraduate; so certainly has more exposure than most to the social sciences even if it's by no means his area of expertise) which is why he teaches the course. The course was designed to chart the development of mathematics and to teach mathematics by considering contemporary methods rather than designed to be a historical course or focus on/analyse the primary sources from which the information was derived (even though the historical context was indeed important and clarified, given that it's necessary to understand why mathematics developed as it did).

Not looking at primary sources too much, though they should always be there, isn't too much of an issue in a broad survey course when the material is pretty introductory and simple enough to be held in rough consensus by historians. The issue is when you take a field like math or the natural sciences, whose innerdisciplinary understanding is significantly apocryphal, and then teach without them. It's like teaching math without proofs, with the added isssue that as a result much of the content will be wrong or questionable at best.

While I cannot gain access to a contemporary source, the reference given in respect to the discoverer of incommensurability and the effect it had on the Pythagoreans and who it may be attributed to was first Thomas Heath's "A History of Greek Mathematics" on page 154 (which details the reasoning to believe why it is attributed to the Pythagoreans) and Kurt Von Fritz's "The Discovery of Incommensurability by Hippasus of Metapontum" (which, as the name suggests, makes the case why it was Hippasus who first proved this even if this is a much less clear manner).

This is the very issue though. You basically don't have a reason to believe this. The story about the guy being murdered for asking the Pythagoreans about the square root of 2 doesn't have a basis in contemporary primary sources. It seems to be a myth that built up over time, and was fun, interesting, and made math seem important to people's daily lives so it was built into the popular understanding of the subject. The problem is to do that one must ignore history and historical methods.

You can't deflect from a call for sources from the 6th century BC by referencing a book from 1921.

If you're questioning it being done by Pythagoras (the individual) rather than Pythagoras (the cult) then indeed, to my knowledge there is no evidence to suggest it was Pythagoras of Samos who personally proved this (but I don't think this is a common misunderstanding as I've never heard it claimed, even if their is a very substantial misunderstanding about what he accomplished mathematically; most of his 'contributions' are that of the cult rather than as the individual or in some cases falsely associated).

It might have been done by him or the cult. We don't really know. The issue is asserting it being either as positive knowledge based on essentially popular stories and without reference to contemoporarry sources. There's a lot of bullshit, around both the man and the cult, that can't be substantiated by contemporary sources talking about either. This is including the assertion that members of the cult attributed their work to him.

It's not a misunderstanding about what he accomplished mathematically, it's positive knowledge that, at least at the moment, we can't construct what he did.

It is not a very controversial statement that the Ancient Greeks were aware of incommensurability and how to prove their existence. We know this directly from Aristotle and Euclid's writing. We just don't know what the first example found was or the initial proof (even if Aristotle's comments are very suggestive).

Right, like I said the OP is clearly doing some weird stuff and I'm not supporting him. It's fine to say the Greeks came up with this stuff, we have Euclid, not to mention the word irrational and its connotation, so we know they did. The issue is passing off apocrypha as knowledge.

The story you're referring to is in reference to commentary by Euclid in The Elements (where he details a proof of Pythagoras' Theorem, for which you are indeed accurate) in which he attributes the proof to the Pythagoreans (despite little evidence to suggest this theorem originates from the Pythagoreans). It is perhaps this to which you are referring to the claim that many mathematicians attribute this to Pythagoras despite no evidence existing that the Pythagoreans discovered or were the first to prove the theorem in spite of the name.

No, I'm referring to the fact that if we poll mathematicians most will say Pythagoras "proved", and that's a whole extra element here, the theorem. This isn't one mistake made by one guy.

I'm not talking about any specific reference, there are a number of sources dating from the 2nd century B.C. onward that make increasingly bizarre claims about Pythagoras and math. Many of these have been accepted into the popular understanding, which mathematicians generally subscribe to, of the history of math.

Pythagoras isn't the only "mathematician" that gets this treatment, though due to his antiquity and mythologizing he probably gets it more than anyone else. Most mathematicians reading of Gauss is rather interesting as well. The root problem is what I wrote about at the beginning of this post.

I'd call it philosophy or religion at this point.

Physics is always philosophy, but I agree with your sentiment. String theory is pretty far into the metaphysics side of things.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
The most obvious way to explain the difference are historians of math are professional scholars of history that are applying historical methods, training, and perspectives to the study of the historical development of math. They are interested in Math the same way historians can be interested in any phenomenon. Mathematicians who double in the history of mathematics are amateurs who have an interest in the source material. They are generally interested in Math in a way that is more antiquarian in nature than historical.

It's of course fine that mathematicians are interested in this, the problems tend to come from the fact that often such highly skilled individuals as mathematicians will ignore the fact that they are indeed out of their area of expertise and within that of the historian. In my experience, this is actually much more of a problem in the sciences, especially physics, but you'll still get people that very stubbornly don't actually think about what it means to deal with history.

As I've brought up a few times here, and many times on GAF, it reminds me of Steve Shapin's joke on the subject. A surgeon asks his historian friend for some tips on how to writing history as he's planning on working on the history of medicine in his retirement. The historian replies, "sure, but you'll need to give me some tips on surgery as I was thinking about picking that up when I retire."

---

Not looking at primary sources too much, though they should always be there, isn't too much of an issue in a broad survey course when the material is pretty introductory and simple enough to be held in rough consensus by historians. The issue is when you take a field like math or the natural sciences, whose innerdisciplinary understanding is significantly apocryphal, and then teach without them. It's like teaching math without proofs, with the added isssue that as a result much of the content will be wrong or questionable at best.

This is the very issue though. You basically don't have a reason to believe this. The story about the guy being murdered for asking the Pythagoreans about the square root of 2 doesn't have a basis in contemporary primary sources. It seems to be a myth that built up over time, and was fun, interesting, and made math seem important to people's daily lives so it was built into the popular understanding of the subject. The problem is to do that one must ignore history and historical methods.

You can't deflect from a call for sources from the 6th century BC by referencing a book from 1921.

---

It might have been done by him or the cult. We don't really know. The issue is asserting it being either as positive knowledge based on essentially popular stories and without reference to contemoporarry sources. There's a lot of bullshit around both the man and the cult, that can't be substantiated by contemporary sources talking about either. This is including the fact that members of the cult attributed their work to him.

It's not a misunderstanding about what he accomplished mathematically, it's positive knowledge that, at least at the moment, we can't construct what he did.

Right, like I said the OP is clearly doing some weird stuff and I'm not supporting him. It's fine to say the Greeks came up with this stuff, we have Euclid, not to mention the word irrational and its connotation, so we know they did. The issue is passing off apocrypha as knowledge.

No, I'm referring to the fact that if we poll mathematicians most will say Pythagoras "proved", and that's a whole extra element here, the theorem. This isn't one mistake made by one guy.

I'm not talking about any specific reference, there are a number of sources dating from the 2nd century B.C. onward that make increasingly bizarre claims about Pythagoras and math. Many of these have been accepted into the popular understanding, which mathematicians generally subscribe to, of the history of math.

Pythagoras isn't the only mathematician that gets this treatment, though due to his antiquity and mythologizing he probably gets it more than anyone else. Most mathematicians reading of Gauss is rather interesting as well. The root problem is what I wrote about at the beginning of this post.

I don't think anybody here has claimed historians are not the foremost experts in their field or tried to downplay their expertise. Mathematicians are required to analyse documents pertaining to the mathematics itself and identify what precisely is featured and its validity, but I don't think anybody would argue against what you're claiming here. Referring to those who are experts in their fields and have highly cited works on the matter is absolutely the best approach, which is why the historical background was referred there, because I am by no means an expert on the analysis of historical documents nor have I claimed to be. EDIT: And yes, one should in many cases not simply refer solely on those who are specialised in the area and should perform your own thought and analysis of this, but it will never be possible for me (or, indeed, most) to analyse the direct contemporary sources lacking the ability to translate the works English as at some point I will need to refer to an expert in his area (be that translation, researching the authenticity of the document, etc.) so I find it somewhat disingenuous to state there's essentially no reason to believe it. EDIT 2: Although actually, on the bolded, I find this very suspect and think there's possibly a personal bias coming into play here. One of the most celebrated historians on the development of sciences in antiquity is Otto Neugebauer who began as a mathematician. Similarly Thomas L Heath began his career in the study of mathematics and the classics before going on to become a highly celebrated scholar of Greek mathematics who wrote the now standard translation of Euclid's The Elements. Yes, some mathematicians may take it on as a hobby, just as some historians may take maths as a hobby, but it seems naive to make the distinction and suggest that one can only be a mathematician or only be a historian (and ignore that it is possible to be both).

I never once mentioned the legend pertaining to the murder of the discoverer of the incommensurability as it's quite well known that this legend is attributed to both the person who discovered incommensurable magnitudes and the discoverer of a certain geometric result and there's conflicting evidence as to who eithers are. In fact, I was purposely careful to avoid stating that it was the incommensurability of the diagonal of a square by emphasising that it is simply suspected; it's known that Aristotle was aware of the fact and proof (although it's frankly absurd to think that the Pythagoreans would not be similiarly aware at this time), but it is also known that the incommensurability of other magnitudes were known by Theodorus as detailed in the Theaetetus (and it interesting omits the incommensurability of a diagonal of a square). We don't know what proof they discovered, absolutely, but given Aristotle's commentary and it's appearance in The Elements we certainly have reason to believe it was the incommensurability of the diagonal of the square that the Pythagoreans discovered. Pappus's commentary on The Elements attributes this discovery to the Pythagoreans, the Life of Pythagoras by Iamblicus attributes the discovery to the Pythagoreans, and Proclus attributes the discovery to the Pythagoreans. While all differ in the specifics, and while yes I cannot provide the original text, it is absolutely not true that it's simply being taken on faith.

Sure, many mathematicians will attribute Pythagoras' Theorem to Pythagoras. My statement was that Pythagoras (although certainly this should have stated Pythagoreans to make it clear) were familiar with the concept of and could demonstrate proof. I did not at any point ascribe Pythagoras' Theorem to them (because it is known the Babylonians were aware of this relation), and that's precisely because I was considering incommensurability specifically, and it absolutely defies creduility that they would not have had an awareness of incommensurable magnitudes when this (not only the fact, but the argument to prove it) was known to Aristotle. So I'm not really seeing the 'root problem' here.

Last edited:

Cocaloch

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Where the Fenians Sleep
I don't think anybody here has claimed historians are not the foremost experts in their field or tried to downplay their expertise.

The issue isn't people overtly doing it, but that much of the history of math and science taught by mathematicians and scientists does it implicitly.

Mathematicians are required to analyse documents pertaining to the mathematics itself and identify what precisely is featured and its validity, but I don't think anybody would argue against what you're claiming here.

I'm a historian, and, while no one is doing it in this thread, let me assure you plenty of people, including scientists and mathematicians, absolutely do argue against what I'm saying there. Even if they do couch it in more nuanced language ala Weinberg.

Referring to those who are experts in their fields and have highly cited works on the matter is absolutely the best approach, which is why the historical background was referred there, because I am by no means an expert on the analysis of historical documents nor have I claimed to be. EDIT: And yes, one should in many cases not simply refer solely on those who are specialised in the area and should perform your own thought and analysis of this, but it will never be possible for me (or, indeed, most) to analyse the direct contemporary sources lacking the ability to translate the works English as at some point I will need to refer to an expert in his area (be that translation, researching the authenticity of the document, etc.) so I find it somewhat disingenuous to state there's essentially no reason to believe it.

What I was doing there was a rhetorical move. I'm fairly good friends with one of the foremost authorities on the subject, and e's quite confident not only that you could not find a contemporary source that suggests these things, but that it's possible to trace the development of the myth to its current form in a way that demonstrates its probable fabrication. Which is to say we see various elements being added, modified, and removed, in clear stages, like with a game of telephone.

I don't see how it's disingenuous at all to say that going on received popular stories to say something about history is tantamount to having essentially no reason. You're essentially saying something is true until it's shown not to be, that's not good history and it's not good thinking generally. You'd probably question such a proposition made about math or science, but not questioning it when applied to history is exactly what I'm talking about here. You're reason is people told you something is true, but what reason did they have? History isn't about uncritically accepting oral accounts of events long past.

You're right it'd be difficult for you, as it would be for me, to translate the kinds of sources we have. What you're wrong about is what that means.

I never once mentioned the legend pertaining to the murder of the discoverer of the incommensurability

You were clearly drawing on the story with the phrase, "it is suspected" a very dangerous cop out phrase in history I might add. Who suspects it? More importantly why do they suspect it? You'll find the why probably leads back to the story I'm talking about if you dig into it far enough.

In fact, I was purposely careful to avoid stating that it was the incommensurability of the diagonal of a square by emphasising that it is simply suspected; it's known that Aristotle was aware of the fact and proof (although it's frankly absurd to think that the Pythagoreans would not be similiarly aware at this time), but it is also known that the incommensurability of other magnitudes were known by Theodorus as detailed in the Theaetetus (and it interesting omits the incommensurability of a diagonal of a square). We don't know what proof they discovered, absolutely, but given Aristotle's commentary and it's appearance in The Elements we certainly have reason to believe it was the incommensurability of the diagonal of the square that the Pythagoreans discovered. Pappus's commentary on The Elements attributes this discovery to the Pythagoreans, the Life of Pythagoras by Iamblicus attributes the discovery to the Pythagoreans, and Proclus attributes the discovery to the Pythagoreans. While all differ in the specifics, and while yes I cannot provide the original text, it is absolutely not true that it's simply being taken on faith.

You're making a huge leap here, how do we get from Aristotle, 384-322 B.C., wrote something that Pappus, 290-350 A.D., attributes to Pythagoeans, along with Iamblicus, 250-330 A.D. and Proclus, 412-485 A.D nearly a millennium after Pythagoras saying something similar but also different, which should be raising some red flags, to the Pythagoreans must have done it. You're taking secondary sources from non-experts a thousand years later to be a primary source. Meanwhile it's quite the coincidence that of the primary sources we do have from near the period none mention anything about math, instead focusing on his feelings about beans , meat, and transmigration of the soul.

The issue is that you're applying some very fast and lose standards of knowledge to history that you'd almost certainly be much less inclined to apply to math and science. While not a huge deal in the abstract, the fact that you aren't taking what I'm saying and reflecting on it, but instead challenging it without reference to good historical method is indicative of the problem I'm talking about.

Sure, many mathematicians will attribute Pythagoras' Theorem to Pythagoras. My statement was that Pythagoras (although certainly this should have stated Pythagoreans to make it clear) were familiar with the concept of and could demonstrate proof. I did not at any point ascribe Pythagoras' Theorem to them (because it is known the Babylonians were aware of this relation), and that's precisely because I was considering incommensurability specifically, and it absolutely defies creduility that they would not have had an awareness of incommensurable magnitudes when this (not only the fact, but the argument to prove it) was known to Aristotle. So I'm not really seeing the 'root problem' here.

The root problem is the reason why you feel comfortable making a historical claim without presenting good historical evidence and reasoning, based on what a mathematician told you about history.

Also I don't see what defiles credulity questioning that people that existed before Aristotle might not have known something he knew. You're making a positive claim about them that you're asserting is true based on what someone else later did without arguing for how those two ideas would be connected. Moreover, the whole reason you've connected the Pythagoras/Pythagoreans, and incommensurability, whether or not you know it, is because of the stories around Pythagoras and his cult that have informed the popular understanding of the history of math.

I'll point out that essentially all I'm doing directly here is asking you to point to some decent evidence for why your positive claim is true. Normally we don't take secondary sources from a thousand years later to be decent evidence in isolation. There're are actually even more problems here, but I think this issue ought to be sufficient.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017

I'm sorry to break it to you, but you've been told a load of bollocks from someone with an anti-western bias.

tlhm94

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't mean to demean string theorists, their obviously intelligent scholars

but I thought one of the conditions for science was that a theory has to be falsifiable (the ability to be shown false)

but String Theory can't even be experimentally verified, so isn't it just fancy math at this point?

There is nothing concrete that dictates it cannot be experimentally verified. Just because we have not thought up practical tests yet does not mean we never will.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
Its cute shit you can do with math(s) right now. It doesn't actually explain much or solve many problems beyond "hey, you know what would make this quantum mechanics stuff better? If you did quantum mechanics on weed."