Conor419

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
London
Is it me or did you just announce few games? :) In either case it does not look very exciting. Bayo 3 is the only game there that I care about.

So what games do you take issue with me listing, you don't think there'll be another Zelda or...?

That list is insane, we're looking at nine games from a variety of genres, many of which will be expected to score above 90. If you don't find that exciting, then I'd be very interested to find out what would be for you.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
All i know is mine has been collecting dust after beating BoTW and SMO, I bought XBC2 but dropped it out of boredom after reaching the first major town. Not really interested in all the ports and indie games and will continue getting the PC ports of all mulitplats like Dark Souls remaster so unless something changes Smash is the only switch game i plan on getting this year

Oct 26, 2017
You are surprised very easily, it's almost a proven fact that consoles sell better in their second year than their first, unless some Wii U level catastrophe occurs, which is certainly no the case with Juggernauts like Smash and Pokémon approaching, as well as E3.
Even the god damn Wii U sold better in its 2nd year. Let that sink in. The Wii U actually sold better after its 1st year. It still sold like garbage but it was selling like slightly better garbage

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
It is for me, yeah. Whether there's a second go round will depend entirely on what's coming this year.

Firebricks

Jan 27, 2018
I own a Wii U with 20 or so games on it. Mario is the only game I've gotten for the switch thus far. I'm glad people who didn't own a Wii U are able to play its games, but for someone who already played all the Wii U ports, it hasn't gotten going for me just yet.

SartrG

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me, yes. It actually ended when Monster Hunter World was released. I have Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (which I'm in chapter 4 I think), Mario Odyssey (in which I finished the story) and Zelda BotW (which I don't like that much, I've only completed two Divine Beasts). I was up for Dark Souls but since it was delayed, I'm only looking forward towards Octopath Traveler, Smash whenever it releases and maybe Pokemon, and that last one depends on how different it is from the 3DS games.

I wish we get some exclusive content in the second half of the year.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, for people talking about a dry spell... how quickly do you go through games?

Last year at launch I got BotW, Shovel Knight and Binding of Isaac, and those games lasted me a couple of months, but there was really nothing else for me to play until Mario + Rabbids and Golf Story came out. That was a bit of a dry spell for me.

This year? I have a ton of shit in my backlog. I had Resident Evil Revelations 1+2, Skyrim, Blossom Tales, as well as some other games like Gonner and Thumper, and now in 2018 I have Bayo 1+2, Celeste, Furi, Manticore, South Park, and coming up I've got Megaman Legacy and Hyrule Warriors.

I'm still playing through many of these games, so I'm still using my Switch all the time. On the other hand last May through August I had basically nothing to play (that interested me). Sadly I'm not a big fan of Splatoon and MK8D is only really great for me in local multiplayer, which I don't get to do often.
Depends on the game. Kirby can last 2 days, Splatoon can last for months. I'd have been cool if just one big game released this year. I feel I just need 3 or 4 big games a year.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, it's not over, it's just that everyone were playing God of War, including me. :lol

That said, it did reignite my flame for PS4, which was gathering dust lately. I intend to buy SOTC and TLG soon enough to finally sink my teeth into those.

DK comes out this Friday and Hyrule Warrior mid-month, those two will pretty much overtake all my free time this month, that's without taking all the physical indies coming out this month as well.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of you are so weird about this stuff. Like, if a console has a slow period, it's doomed, the honeymoon is over, and you can't even believe why you ever bought the thing. Go play one of your other two or three or four video game devices while you wait for new stuff on the one that isn't overflowing with content that interests you in this particular moment in time.

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Heh, reminds me of how I feel about the PS4. It had hardly anything that I cared about till last year. That didn't matter though. Clearly the games it got were exciting for most, even if I just looked at them and went "Meh"

So what games do you take issue with me listing, you don't think there'll be another Zelda or...?

That list is insane, we're looking at nine games from a variety of genres, many of which will be expected to score above 90. If you don't find that exciting, then I'd be very interested to find out what would be for you.

I mean it's obviously a question of taste. But Switch's line up just isn't that exciting unless you are a fan of these games to begin with (Nintendo fan). I'm sure that there will be games that will surprise me, but at this point I would be more excited about new Mario and Rabbits game than about Metroid.

Matrix XII

Oct 27, 2017
Still feels to me like it needs a hardware refresh. I've considered buying it many times but I can't seem to take the plunge. I feel like the next iteration of the switch will be worth it. I already have mk8 and Zelda on the Wii u so that's holding me back as well I think.

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
This year? I have a ton of shit in my backlog. I had Resident Evil Revelations 1+2, Skyrim, Blossom Tales, as well as some other games like Gonner and Thumper, and now in 2018 I have Bayo 1+2, Celeste, Furi, Manticore, South Park, and coming up I've got Megaman Legacy and Hyrule Warriors.
Most of those games where already in other platforms.

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Yerp, it's over. Pack it up, guize. Good ridance, Switchy <3 s/

E3 is a month away, let's just wait till then to make assumptions. I do agree though that this first 5 months have been weak compared to last year where the only highlights have been Nintendo Labo wich has not been released here in Mexico and Kirby. Nintendo has a major task of continuing the good momentum but now without Mario and Zelda since their main games are already out on the Switch. It's gonna be a challenge, even though it should be easy since they have plenty of other great and succesful IPs of the same caliber of success such as Animal Crossing, Metroid, and of course Pokemon.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
I've played 2 games on mine. I don't want a bunch of remaster/ports(other than wonderful 101 heh). I don't find the handheld comfortable to play at all and its performance is already so weak compared to the ps4/xbone generation

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I owned a Wii U. I'm used to these lulls.

Real talk tho, Switch isn't going to massively change the situation with software, either from first or third party. First party wise, not all devs are on board with the system (NextLevelGames, AlphaDream, whoever is doing Warioware) yet. While Third party wise, by the time devs have decided to release non-port heavy hitters (barring sports which usually come to everything) the industry will be targetting either PS5/X2 or PC's with even higher end graphics cards.

Nintendo is Nintendo and it's not going to change.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
If the implication is that after the honeymoon you settle into a long, healthy, loving relationship, then yeah.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Some of you are so weird about this stuff. Like, if a console has a slow period, it's doomed, the honeymoon is over, and you can't even believe why you ever bought the thing. Go play one of your other two or three or four video game devices while you wait for new stuff on the one that isn't overflowing with content that interests you in this particular moment in time.

Yep. I always end up with one main platform that gets most of my gaming time each generation and the others that gather dust for long stretches between exclusives that interest me.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest, and I don't get why some people buy multiple platforms if they're not ok with that (or if they're the type that buy too many games and feel oppressed by their backlogs). Just an odd mindset--though I'm sure a lot of it is console warring nonsense of being critical of their non-main platform(s).

Oct 26, 2017
I mean it's obviously a question of taste. But Switch's line up just isn't that exciting unless you are a fan of these games to begin with (Nintendo fan). I'm sure that there will be games that will surprise me, but at this point I would be more excited about new Mario and Rabbits game than about Metroid.
Since when do you have to be a Nintendo fan to be interested in their offerings? People in general like games like Smash, Pokemon, Splatoon, Mario, etc. Do people have to be Sony fans to like games like Uncharted, God of War, and inFAMOUS? I mean, unless you're a Sony fan, those games aren't really all that exciting, after all

Of course it's a question of taste, that's how it's always been. But his point was that there's plenty in the horizon, either known or likely. Whether or not you care for the game doesn't really matter

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Haven't touched it since Mario Odyssey. Nintendo had better bomzaldroppen come E3 because right now it looks like it's going to act as a paper weight for a long while, well except for Octopath Traveller.

Conor419

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
London

But Nintendo isn't a genre?

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bayonetta, Kirby, Labo, DK, Hyrule warriors, Mario Tennis, crash, wolfenstein, captain toad, Project Octopath, dark souls?

Granted, if you're a dedicated nintNint fan and owned a Wii U then the line up is a bit lacking.

List wars never go anywhere as it's down to taste, along with listing ports many have already played elsewhere. Of those I may get Octopath...but probably not as I haven't finished a turn based game in years as I just get bored of the combat and quit.

Oct 25, 2017
Thinks back to PS4 which had zero games I gave a hoot about until 2015. It released in 2013.

Switch will be alright. No one, not Sony, not Microsoft and not Nintendo can keep momentum going all the time.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
I started the year with Xenoblade and it took me a long damn time. I know it's a december game but i mean, it's not a game you can beat in a week with a normal life.

Just curious, how many of you that finds this period « dry » did not play XC2?

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Since when do you have to be a Nintendo fan to be interested in their offerings? People in general like games like Smash, Pokemon, Splatoon, Mario, etc. Do people have to be Sony fans to like games like Uncharted, God of War, and inFAMOUS? I mean, unless you're a Sony fan, those games aren't really all that exciting, after all

Of course it's a question of taste, that's how it's always been. But his point was that there's plenty in the horizon, either known or likely. Whether or not you care for the game doesn't really matter
I know it doesn't matter what I care about. I'm saying that for ME Switch line up is boring. I was expecting more stuff like Mario and Rabbids.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, but threads used for hyperbole and lowkey console warring would be closed if this was about other systems, so the Switch's image in this forum looks worse than the usual. We just had two "negative" threads about God of War being closed.

Anyway, this thread just confirms that "I don't like a game" = "This game doesn't exist" here. Kirby was a big first party release and did well, Labo released this month, you can get other indie and niche games, most people didn't have a Wii U to play Bayo 2 and DK. So no, there's no drought.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
That's a part of us, lots of us are hardcore gamers and game 20+ hours a week and finish games quickly.

Others, myself included, had Wii Us and don't care about the ports.

Others, myself included, don't care about portability so we don't buy or play multiplats on Switch, but get the better/cheaper versions on PC or other consoles.

And people have different tastes, lots of the exclusives don't appeal to me. Nintendo is mostly a Mario, Zelda, Metroid box for me and I'm fine with that. Others need more games to justify buying/keeping around a console.

I game over 20 hours a week and have still have a backlog on Switch.

If Switch is only a Mario, Zelda, Metroid Box then honestly you were always going to have long dry spells on Switch, or any Nintendo system.

Edit: To be clear, it's fine if thats all you play Nintendo systems for. I just think it's worth mentioning that you have limited Nintendo systems going in and I assume that's the expectation.

Mastermind85

Oct 28, 2017
This was bound to happen to some extent with such a strong first year. Really curious to see the switch lineup post E3, hoping there are more original (non port) games to be announced.

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I started the year with Xenoblade and it took me a long damn time. I know it's a december game but i mean, it's not a game you can beat in a week with a normal life.

Just curious, how many of you that finds this period « dry » did not play XC2?
I tried. Found it extremely convoluted and boring. Monster Hunter felt more approachable that XC2.

Oct 26, 2017
I know it doesn't matter what I care about. I'm saying that for ME Switch line up is boring. I was expecting more stuff like Mario and Rabbids.
That's fine. Nothing wrong with that. I was more so talking about your logic of those games not being exciting unless you're a fan of them to begin with. I mean, doesn't that apply to just about every game?

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
It has for me. I haven't picked it up in months. I guess it's a little too big for me to just carry around and use whenever I'm up to it, but it's just not technically advanced enough for me to use as a console very often. Add to the fact that there hasn't been anything super compelling for me since Super Mario Odyssey (really enjoyed Celeste, though), and the lack of ancillary apps, and yeah, I'm just not feeling the enthusiasm I used to have.

Oct 26, 2017
No, but threads used for hyperbole and lowkey console warring would be closed if this was about other systems, so the Switch's image in this forum looks worse than the usual. We just had two "negative" threads about God of War being closed.

Anyway, this thread just confirms that "I don't like a game" = "This game doesn't exist" here. Kirby was a big first party release and did well, Labo released this month, you can get other indie and niche games, most people didn't have a Wii U to play Bayo 2 and DK. So no, there's no drought.
Nah, that's not true. If this was about the XB1, it would still be up ;)

Now that's something I didn't even know, further proves my points thanks.
No problem and, yeah, I was pretty stunned when I found out too. I can't believe there were other weirdos like me who became more intrigued by the Wii U over time :P

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
On the other hand, Splatoon 2 alone occupied my time during your dry spell until Odyssey (and M+R and FE:W came out in the mean time though I didn't get them), and continues to be the only Switch game I really play these days. Most of the other games you listed are old ports people may have played years/months ago and people might not want to buy again, or are games of eh quality (not bad, but not something that draws attention to the system). I don't think it's a question of how quickly people go through games.

I bring up how quickly people go through games because I feel like nobody is actually talking about the game library on the system, but rather just new games. A drought to me is when there are so few games available on the system that I can't find a single one that I want to play (or play more/again as the case may be) for a period of at least a month. This was the Wii U in early 2013. It had almost nothing to play outside of the launch games. For me this was the Switch between May and August of last year. It had very few first or third party games that appealed to me outside of the ones I bought at launch.

However that's not something anyone should be able to say now, when there are >600 games on the system in a huge number of genres. I don't care that, say, 500 of them released in 2017, they're still available to play if I'm looking for something to play. Maybe most people have played many of these elsewhere, but I have a really hard time believing so many people have enough game time to have played all of the games on the system that might interest them.

After I finished Celeste I was looking for a new game to play, and I saw Resident Evil Revelations 1+2 on sale, so I got those even though they released last November. I was interested then but I was too busy with DOOM and Skyrim to have time for them then. Now in 2018 they've given me ~120 hours of play time (raid mode is awesome). This is what I mean when I say this system doesn't have a drought.

Depends on the game. Kirby can last 2 days, Splatoon can last for months. I'd have been cool if just one big game released this year. I feel I just need 3 or 4 big games a year.

As I said above I got a lot of play time out of RE Rev. And Bayonetta 1+2 got me about ~80 hours combined. I know those are all ports but RE were ports that I've never played before and I never had much time to play the Bayo games on Wii U. Obviously YMMV in these situations, but I really do think the 600+ games have enough variety and quality in them that everyone should be able to find something they enjoy, unless they've played all of those games before (which goes back to my question of how much time they have to play games).

So? You could say the same about most of the PS4's first couple of years.

I personally love these ports as they give me a chance to play games I didn't have time for otherwise.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But Nintendo isn't a genre?

It's not, but they definitely have as style of games and if someone doesn't like that style they aren't going to like most of their games. Same with Sony and Nintendo.

Nintendo's strength is gameplay focused games, cartoony art styles, very light on story, local MP in many games.

Sony's strength is cinematic, narrative driven games that push graphics, have lots of set pieces and are mostly third person action/adventure/lite RPG type games.

Xbox's strength is online MP games, especially shooters.

That's not all any of the three have in their first party lineups, but that is their strengths and I wouldn't advise anyone to buy any of those three if they didn't like that main style of exclusives. Sony and MS have the advantage of robust AAA third party support, and a lot of people buy a console mainly for the GTAs, CoDS, Fifas etc. of the world. While Switch is really only worth it if you're a Nintendo fan (why I have one) and/or a portable only/mostly gamer who can't game at home on a TV much.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico

That doesn't matters when now those games can be played in a portable. In the case of some games like Hyrule Warriors they no longer have to play it with a terrible performance.

It's like people miss the fact as to why the Switch it's "underpowered", are they acting deliberately ignorant?

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Unless portability is an important factor to you, why else would one buy a Switch? There are more powerful machines to play non-Nintendo games on.
I was expecting more of Mario and Rabbids type of stuff. I like Bayonetta. Mario is always fun. I don't hate Switch, but this year I barely use it...

watdaeff4

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thinks back to PS4 which had zero games I gave a hoot about until 2015. It released in 2013.

Switch will be alright. No one, not Sony, not Microsoft and not Nintendo can keep momentum going all the time.
I think this is fair. While I personally haven't played the Switch much since Mario; there are still a decent number of games coming out for it.

One of my sons loves Kirby, he's also looking forward to Tropical Freeze. Between those two and the fact he still plays Mario, there's enough for him to get through the summer.