Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Kind of. As expected year 2 can't hold a candle to the first year. Hopefully something interesting (to me) comes out this year, as I haven't been using my Switch much recently.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
I bought Labo just because I was desperate for something to do with my Switch. Now everything is built, and that was fun, but I don't give a damn about those games.

The first half of this year has been pretty dry. I don't blame them for realizing that, after nailing the first 9 months, they could rest on their laurels for a few months before dropping some bombs by the end of 2018. If we get AC and/or Pokemon by the end of the year on top of Smash, those complaints dissolve for me. I just don't have sufficient software to distract me from the system's other issues.

Oct 30, 2017
Its library and online functionality still has a ways to go before I truly commit to getting one. Mario and Zelda are the only titles that are must have for me at the moment.

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017
I started the year with Xenoblade and it took me a long damn time. I know it's a december game but i mean, it's not a game you can beat in a week with a normal life.

Just curious, how many of you that finds this period « dry » did not play XC2?
Seriously. I only finished that game last month and I feel like I missed out on most of the side content. Still haven't 100%ed BotW or Odyssey, let alone finished Rabbids. Have barely touched Splatoon 2 SP, and have a load of indie games and third party titles sitting in my backlog.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be serious for a second, I actually do think one mistake Nintendo made this year was releasing LABO when they did. That product would have made more sense a year or two from now, when the Switch has seen a price drop or two. LABO releasing in 2019 or 2020 next to a $249 or $199 Switch console would have been a smarter move, in my opinion. Positioning LABO as a key title for the first half of 2018 always felt a bit weird to me, even if I think the idea is really cool (though something I'm personally not interested in at all). I think a more "core" oriented piece of software in April would have made more sense at this point in the lifecycle.

That being said y'all still confound me.

Oct 26, 2017
How many new AAA IPs have you seen on Switch. That's what I want.
In general? None and I don't really expect that change all that much throughout the years. The Switch will mainly receive Nintendo's own games, indie titles, Japanese titles, and a few Western titles. If you were primarily looking for AAA games, you were better off not bothering with portable systems.

At least they closed a ridiculous thread about Sea of Thieves today. But yeah, Xbox threads are a disaster too. lol
Oh that they are and I'm saying this as someone who isn't even that big of a Microsoft fan. As someone who prefers Nintendo and Sony, seeing Microsoft threads always go south kind of sucks because I wanna get more involved with my XB1

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I game over 20 hours a week and have still have a backlog on Switch.

If Switch is only a Mario, Zelda, Metroid Box then honestly you were always going to have long dry spells on Switch, or any Nintendo system.

Edit: To be clear, it's fine if thats all you play Nintendo systems for. I just think it's worth mentioning that you have limited Nintendo systems going in and I assume that's the expectation.

Oh I'm not complaining at all. As I said in another post, I always have one main platform every generation that gets the vast majority of my playtime and the others gather dust for long stretches between exclusives that appeal to me.

I don't mind that in the slighest. Consoles and a gaming PC aren't much of a dent in my budget and I like having access to all the games that appeal to me. Nintendo has been my lowest priority from the GameCube on, but I'd never not buy one and miss out on the Mario, Zelda, Metroid and other handful of great games that appeal to me each generation.

That doesn't matters when now those games can be played in a portable. In the case of some games like Hyrule Warriors they no longer have to play it with a terrible performance.

It's like people miss the fact as to why the Switch it's "underpowered", are they acting deliberately ignorant?

People understand the portable appeal. People are mostly talking about their own habits/interests. For those of us who hate portable gaming, have tons of gaming time at home etc. there's no appeal in ports as most of us have played/will play them on our main platform(s).

Switch is of course much more appealing for handheld gamers than console/pc gamers as more of those games are new to them, they have more incentive to double dip for portability and so on.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I bring up how quickly people go through games because I feel like nobody is actually talking about the game library on the system, but rather just new games. A drought to me is when there are so few games available on the system that I can't find a single one that I want to play (or play more/again as the case may be) for a period of at least a month. This was the Wii U in early 2013. It had almost nothing to play outside of the launch games. For me this was the Switch between May and August of last year. It had very few first or third party games that appealed to me outside of the ones I bought at launch.

However that's not something anyone should be able to say now, when there are >600 games on the system in a huge number of genres. I don't care that, say, 500 of them released in 2017, they're still available to play if I'm looking for something to play. Maybe most people have played many of these elsewhere, but I have a really hard time believing so many people have enough game time to have played all of the games on the system that might interest them.

After I finished Celeste I was looking for a new game to play, and I saw Resident Evil Revelations 1+2 on sale, so I got those even though they released last November. I was interested then but I was too busy with DOOM and Skyrim to have time for them then. Now in 2018 they've given me ~120 hours of play time (raid mode is awesome). This is what I mean when I say this system doesn't have a drought.

As I said above I got a lot of play time out of RE Rev. And Bayonetta 1+2 got me about ~80 hours combined. I know those are all ports but RE were ports that I've never played before and I never had much time to play the Bayo games on Wii U. Obviously YMMV in these situations, but I really do think the 600+ games have enough variety and quality in them that everyone should be able to find something they enjoy, unless they've played all of those games before (which goes back to my question of how much time they have to play games).

So? You could say the same about most of the PS4's first couple of years.

I personally love these ports as they give me a chance to play games I didn't have time for otherwise.
Well if I hadn't played many of these games already, the lineup would be quite amazing. You seem to have the time to play them now while I play nothing, so we both seem to have time for games. I'd also assume you play more games than me, so I have less to choose from but that's just an assumption.

Nintendo is my primary console, so I've played every big U game aside 101. If you're one of those people balancing 3 consoles then you're likely to have missed some of the U games.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
To be serious for a second, I actually do think one mistake Nintendo made this year was releasing LABO when they did. That product would have made more sense a year or two from now, when the Switch has seen a price drop or two. LABO releasing in 2019 or 2020 next to a $249 or $199 Switch console would have been a smarter move, in my opinion. Positioning LABO as a key title for the first half of 2018 always felt a bit weird to me, even if I think the idea is really cool (though something I'm personally not interested in at all). I think a more "core" oriented piece of software in April would have made more sense at this point in the lifecycle.

That being said y'all still confound me.

I think they wanted to get Labo out as early as possible without upsetting the "core" fanbase, in order to spread the WoM and maybe even start a few viral videos (like the one with the guy controlling his wheelchair). It was never positioned to be a big seller out of the gate, so I'm not sure if they even think of it as a key title for H1 of 2018. I think they want its legs to continue for a very long time.

Echizen

Oct 27, 2017
The Wii U wasn't that long ago, so I'm not sure how so many people have forgotten what a "drought" from Nintendo actually looks like.

Wii U first half of 2013:

Lego City Undercover
New Super Luigi U
Game & Wario
Pokemon Rumble U (Japan only)

Switch first half of 2018:

Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2
Kirby Star Allies
Nintendo Labo
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition
Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido
Mario Tennis Aces

These situations are not even remotely comparable. If you're not personally interested in these titles, fair enough, but implying that this the "same old Nintendo" or that they "didn't learn their lesson" is disingenuous.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think they wanted to get Labo out as early as possible without upsetting the "core" fanbase, in order to spread the WoM and maybe even start a few viral videos (like the one with the guy controlling his wheelchair). It was never positioned to be a big seller out of the gate, so I'm not sure if they even think of it as a key title for H1 of 2018. I think they want its legs to continue for a very long time.

That may very well be true, yeah. I actually think they've handled the marketing and release of the product very well, to be fair.

One thing I'll say though is if they didn't see LABO as a key title at this point in time, Nintendo should have had an additional piece of software for April. Like Hyrule Warriors.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Maybe. Mine only gets turned on now for my son to go look at the T-Rex's in Mario Odyssey. I haven't actually played anything on it in like 5 months or so.

Birbo

Oct 25, 2017
It is for me. Picked one up last summer with BotW and bought Rabbids at launch. Enjoyed both games, but never finished either one.

Right now for me, there aren't any AAA games I'm interested in (still want Mario, but backlog to to yuge to justify) and the Switch Tax on indies I can get cheaper elsewhere is also hard to justify. Looking forward to some E3 hype.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
For me, a bit, yeah. I was hyped for lumines, but I'll be waiting on that now. Still a great console and I've had this happen with every console.

ccieag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Vail, CO
XB2 took me months to finish, and I plan to go back and play it again when there is another lull on the Switch. So probably sometime next year at the earliest ;)

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In general? None and I don't really expect that change all that much throughout the years. The Switch will mainly receive Nintendo's own games, indie titles, Japanese titles, and a few Western titles. If you were primarily looking for AAA games, you were better off not bothering with portable systems.
I guess that's the difference. I don't think of Switch as portable system so I'm expecting more.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
My FAQ didn't get posted yet, and it's been about a month, guys.

Wait. This isn't GameFAQs? Could have fooled me with topics like this lately.

Rezae

Oct 28, 2017
A lot of ports/collections on my list over the next few months: DKTF, Hyrule Warriors, Mega Man Legacy Collection (+X Collection), Dark Souls, Street Fighter 30th Collection, Crash Trilogy, Octopath Traveller, Mario Tennis, Sonic Mania Plus, Captain Toad (maybe). I also still need to get Skryim and Disgaea 5 - two big time sinks. I can see how people who don't care for the ports are probably let down, but even having played a lot of these before, the portability makes these no-brainers for me.

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also I hate that people mention Kirby in this thread. That game only made me feel worse about Switch. It represents EXACTLY what I don't like about Nintendo. (Disclaimer - I only played Demo, but I REALLY HATED IT!)

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I bring up how quickly people go through games because I feel like nobody is actually talking about the game library on the system, but rather just new games. A drought to me is when there are so few games available on the system that I can't find a single one that I want to play (or play more/again as the case may be) for a period of at least a month. This was the Wii U in early 2013. It had almost nothing to play outside of the launch games. For me this was the Switch between May and August of last year. It had very few first or third party games that appealed to me outside of the ones I bought at launch.

However that's not something anyone should be able to say now, when there are >600 games on the system in a huge number of genres. I don't care that, say, 500 of them released in 2017, they're still available to play if I'm looking for something to play. Maybe most people have played many of these elsewhere, but I have a really hard time believing so many people have enough game time to have played all of the games on the system that might interest them.

After I finished Celeste I was looking for a new game to play, and I saw Resident Evil Revelations 1+2 on sale, so I got those even though they released last November. I was interested then but I was too busy with DOOM and Skyrim to have time for them then. Now in 2018 they've given me ~120 hours of play time (raid mode is awesome). This is what I mean when I say this system doesn't have a drought.

As I said above I got a lot of play time out of RE Rev. And Bayonetta 1+2 got me about ~80 hours combined. I know those are all ports but RE were ports that I've never played before and I never had much time to play the Bayo games on Wii U. Obviously YMMV in these situations, but I really do think the 600+ games have enough variety and quality in them that everyone should be able to find something they enjoy, unless they've played all of those games before (which goes back to my question of how much time they have to play games).

So? You could say the same about most of the PS4's first couple of years.

I personally love these ports as they give me a chance to play games I didn't have time for otherwise.

The issue is the thing's currently available on switch are ports at full price, indies some at more than what you can get elsewhere. A lot of people didn't buy a $300 device to play indie games. I didn't. I might buy one or 2 here and there. But I primarily bought my switch for New First party games not the recycled library of Wii U. Especially since some of them are straight ports without added content at full price.

My switch hasn't been turned on since December. But My PS4 has been going non-stop and now that I have a PS4PRO and a HDR 4K tv I've been playing even more games.
I went from SOTC, to Ni Nu kuni 2, to God of war, and soon to Yakuza 6 once I get paid this week. And possibly Detroit depending on how good it is. I haven't even tried farcry 5 yet, or dragon ball fighter z. There's ton's for me to play that are new games and can't be played on Switch. Not to mention all the updates for PUBG that I regularly play.

Right now I'm knee deep in 100% GOW. And watching some streams of Yakuza 6 has changed my mind on waiting for a price drop on that since I have Kiwami 2 already preordered.
If Nintendo put out Smash, or something big like that I would be playing my switch. Hell I wanted to get both the mega man collections, and street fighter anniversary but there are issues with both of those that I can wait for steam price drops and release.

I truly hope Nintendo either has direct this month or goes all out this E3 because their second half of 2018 needs to be packed with new games. Hoping the rumors for Metroid prime 4 this year are true.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Well if I hadn't played many of these games already, the lineup would be quite amazing. You seem to have the time to play them now while I play nothing, so we both seem to have time for games. I'd also assume you play more games than me, so I have less to choose from but that's just an assumption.

Nintendo is my primary console, so I've played every big U game aside 101. If you're one of those people balancing 3 consoles then you're likely to have missed some of the U games.

I'm the same exact way (though I didn't get Splatoon and I did play W101) but like I said, the Wii U didn't really give me as much time to play games like Bayonetta as much as I'd like. But the other thing is, as primarily Nintendo users, we have missed out on a lot of games that are now on (or coming to) the Switch. Games like RE Rev 2, DOOM, Skyrim, Furi, Thumper, Wolfenstein, South Park, Ark.... the list goes on. Sure, if none of those games interest you then there's really nothing you can do about it, but the fact that there are so many games available in so many different genres sorta contradicts the idea of a drought.

I guess my frustration about the idea of a drought/dry spell is based on the fact that people only seem to be considering upcoming releases, while they are not looking at the actual enormous current library of games.

Puroresu_kid

Oct 28, 2017
The Wii U wasn't that long ago, so I'm not sure how so many people have forgotten what a "drought" from Nintendo actually looks like.

Wii U first half of 2013:

Lego City Undercover
Game & Wario
Pokemon Rumble U (Japan only)

Switch first half of 2018:

Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2
Kirby Star Allies
Nintendo Labo
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition
Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido
Mario Tennis Aces

These situations are not even remotely comparable. If you're not personally interested in these titles, fair enough, but implying that this the "same old Nintendo" or that they "didn't learn their lesson" is disingenuous.

Real talk

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, everyone who disagrees with you or the OP is a Nintendo fanboy. How dare anyone share a different opinion

I'm not saying that, I don't even have an opinion on the switch because the portability doens't appeal to me hence is a non-starter.

But there are tons of posts in this thread a that are dismissive of the OP, equating what he is saying (the honeymoon period is over) to "Switch is Dead!!, Nintendo is finished!!!" .Which is not what the OP is saying, at all.

I could quote all of them, which are much more dismissive and drive-by posting than my own, which was just a funny remark at those dozens of posts, but I would get yet another warning because that's how moderation works here in regards to Nintendo. I guess those users must be spamming the report button :P

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I bought Labo just because I was desperate for something to do with my Switch. Now everything is built, and that was fun, but I don't give a damn about those games.

Yeah, that's something to get out of the habit of doing—I had to work on that myself over the years. A system gathering dust is much better than wasting money on games you end up not enjoying as you were just "desperate" for somethign to play on that platform.

If a system gathering dust bothers you, it's probably best to just sell it off and do without the few exclusives that appeal to you. Myself, I've just became fine with mostly using my main platform and only using my others for usually 2 or 3 games a year. Others aren't due to mind set, more limited budgets nagging at them when things they spent money on (and could sell off) go unused for long stretches etc.

Is this one of thkse post where no matter you are gonna complain the games are not AAA and sk they dont count??

Console warriors aside (who should just be ignored) people only care about games they want to play on the platforms they own. That's all that "counts." It doesn't matter how big a library a platform has if most of the games aren't things that personally appeal to someone and/or are things they already played elsewhere and/or are things they'd prefer to play on other platforms.

I guess that's the difference. I don't think of Switch as portable system so I'm expecting more.

Yeah, it's a handheld that you can dock to your TV. You have to approach it from that mindset and accept that it's not going to get many Western AAA games and that the amount will especially dwindle when the PS5 etc. are out and porting gets even harder. If that's not for you, sell it and move on. It's going to be a great platform for Nintendo games, Japanese games and indies. If those aren't your bag, you'll probably have a lot of long droughts.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
This thread again... lol. Nop OP, the Switch still selling really good.

He is not saying that though...is he saying that the Switch is not selling?

He even had to put a disclaimer in the OP, that people conveniently ignore "EDIT: I'm not talking about the Switch's mainstream (and thus financial) success, just talking about the enthusiasm for Switch on enthusiast forums like these."

iamandy

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
For me it isn't even started. There's only one game that interest me as a Wii U owner. It's seems like a portable Wii U, and I can't care less about portability.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying that, I don't even have an opinion on the switch because the portability doens't appeal to me hence is a non-starter.

But there are tons of posts in this thread a that are dismissive of the OP, equating what he is saying (the honeymoon period is over) to "Switch is Dead!!, Nintendo is finished!!!" .Which is not what the OP is saying, at all.

I could quote all of them, which are much more dismissive and drive-by posting than my own, which was just a funny remark at those dozens of posts, but I would get yet another warning because that's how moderation works here in regards to Nintendo. I guess those users must be spamming the report button :P

I love that some of you actually believe this. The Nintendo Deep State

This site and its moderation team is compromised, I know this because the logo is purple like the US SNES

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You can be pretty sure if you make a thread about this for the PS4, it will get (rightfully) closed. This is just calling for hot takes and console warriors that don't even care about the system being discussed.

We just had 2 threads closed because they had criticism for GoW and even the Edge review thread recently was closed, instead of the mods warning/banning people for their behaviour over a review.

Sebastopa

Apr 27, 2018
One of the things I just don't get is why there is this permanent narrative that there is a drought of games for Switch in 2018, I get it you have incredibly high standards for what games you buy or not for the console but this "drought" really only applies if:

- You don't care about Indies
- You don't care about third party games
- You don't care about Wii U ports
- You don't care about casual games
- You don't care about games rated less than 90+ MC

That's a lot of filters, makes me wonder how many PS4/XB1/PC games even fit your criteria.

It boggles my mind that there are actually people in this forum than haven't bought anything since Mario Odyssey.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I love that some of you actually believe this.

Check the post right after mine for an example of what I was saying :P

Lol you edited your post twice!

Edit: OK after the 2 edits I get what you're saying, but if you read my post you'll see I'm not refering to the mods per se, but the users that I was refering to, the ones that attack the OP in bad faith or without even reading it, are the ones that are spamming the report button

Last edited:

Rotimi

Dec 25, 2017
Jos , Nigeria
Well enthusiasm has dropped on this forum. That's expected considering the games released have a more mainstream appeal.

But same thing happened last year after Zelda till the big games started coming by summer. So if after E3, the enthusiasm is still low then yes.

Oct 26, 2017

Oh there are definitely people who are doing that and I don't necessarily approve of it. It's just that that's basically typical behavior from gamers across the board online and, in all honesty, it could have been avoided had the OP titled the thread better to more accurately reflect his point. People were naturally gonna look at the title, sigh, and go "One of THESE again?". This is hardly exclusive to Nintendo fans. Just look at how quickly "negative" God of War threads got closed

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
It still plays great games in both TV mode and handheld mode and lets me play Tabletop multiplayer games with my wife in bed, with my colleagues at work and 1-2 Switch still entertains at parties. The novelty factor was cool and all, but the device is a godsent for time constrained people like me.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the things I just don't get is why there is this permanent narrative that there is a drought of games for Switch in 2018, I get it you have incredibly high standards for what games you buy or not for the console but this "drought" really only applies if:

- You don't care about Indies
- You don't care about third party games
- You don't care about Wii U ports
- You don't care about casual games
- You don't care about games rated less than 90+ MC

That's a lot of filters, makes me wonder how many PS4/XB1/PC games even fit your criteria.

It boggles my mind that there are actually people in this forum than haven't bought anything since Mario Odyssey.
Yes, that is one of the worst takes. lol But I just read all this as "this game doesn't have insane GFX". Sure, you don't need to be interested in all games, but let's not pretend these boxes check for everyone. If they did, the Switch wouldn't be selling 300K in a March with Kirby as its biggest release.