• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
i saw this tweet pop up on twitter before and thought it would be a good idea to warn people that are unaware of this problem with currently unused PSPs

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Not super surprising... One of the best things I got when I still had my PSP was an adapter battery so I could use standard AAA's (or rechargable AAA's).

If you can still find them, definitely snatch them up since PSP batteries are going to be getting harder to find and alternatives are going to be wonky.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
i saw this tweet pop up on twitter before and thought it would be a good idea to warn people that are unaware of this problem with currently unused PSPs

This is an issue with most old batteries that lay unused but connected.

You should always store devices with the battery removed or you risk issues like this.

PS3 and PS4 controllers are all at risk of the same fate.

Dec 23, 2017
I don't use my PSP anymore but I should really get rid of that battery.

With that said, I do miss Phantasy Star Portable 2.

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is why long term collectors want to get wired controllers. At least the Vita has the TV model so you can play that in 10 years without issue. I hope Nintendo offers a model of the Switch down the road that gets around this.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Not super surprising... One of the best things I got when I still had my PSP was an adapter battery so I could use standard AAA's (or rechargable AAA's).

If you can still find them, definitely snatch them up since PSP batteries are going to be getting harder to find and alternatives are going to be wonky.
What never heard of this before gonna look it up now hope they sell some in uk

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this has been a problem for a while. Even if the battery isn't bad most likely it won't hold a charge for very long. And the Chinese batteries for it are crap. I've been looking into doing a battery mod on one of my spare psp 2000. Luckily my psp go still holds a fairly good charge.

something like this.
Only thing is most of them require sacrificing the UMD Drive.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure this only happens if you never use the device. As long as you use it semi-regularly or at least power cycle it semi-regularly you will be fine. If you leave a PSP in a drawer for 5 years...yeah, God knows what will happen to the batteries. That's true of most any battery though

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
So what should you do? Removing the battery is enough? Should you store it at a particular temperature or just not too hot/cold?

I've read that charging it once in a while is good too, is that a myth? How often?

mandiller

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I found my psp 2000 battery bulging out of the battery compartment a few months ago. I threw that out quick smart. No leaks though thankfully.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
At least the console is battery independent. Going to really suck when 3ds, Wii U, Vita and Switch batteries die out.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
I left one in my PSP which bulged and now it wont turn on if I try using a third party battery not sure if its the third party battery or dead PSP at this point. My PSPGo doing okay at least.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I saw the tweet earlier and checked my own PSP's battery. It hadn't swollen grossly, but enough that I couldn't fit the battery cover back on. A friend of mine I told about the tweet checked hers and said that the cover popped off by itself when she went to check it, and her battery is bloated as hell.

It is safe to say that neither of us have used our PSPs for a number of years, but that aside, the batteries are just plain done. The only question I have is what's the safest way to dispose of a warped battery like this.

Ganado

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I saw the tweet earlier and checked my own PSP's battery. It hadn't swollen grossly, but enough that I couldn't fit the battery cover back on. A friend of mine I told about the tweet checked hers and said that the cover popped off by itself when she went to check it, and her battery is bloated as hell.

It is safe to say that neither of us have used our PSPs for a number of years, but that aside, the batteries are just plain done. The only question I have is what's the safest way to dispose of a warped battery like this.
Just checked mine and even the battery wasn't attached to the console. Well never gonna use it anymore now so thank god for PPSSPP.

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
So what should you do? Removing the battery is enough? Should you store it at a particular temperature or just not too hot/cold?

I've read that charging it once in a while is good too, is that a myth? How often?

It's true. Removing the battery or charging it once in a while helps for the same reason: It prevents the battery from being deeply discharged, which is a state when batteries are prone to swelling and deterioration. You only have charge the battery often enough that it doesn't go empty, defined as being able to start the device on battery. You can look at the built in gauge to get an idea of how close to empty you are, and get an idea of how often you need to charge. The rate of discharge probably varies a bit between PSP models and batteries (and perhaps also the age of the battery) so it's best to see for yourself. For me, I think it was a few months with the battery sitting in the PSP, while the battery seems to keep some charge for years while removed. The difference is probably due to the battery-backed clock of the PSP.

FRS1987

Oct 31, 2017
New Jersey
I used to charge my psp regularly every 3 months if i didn't use it until about two years ago, i took out the battery and left the system without the battery

Nowise10

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I found my PSP the same way like 2 years ago. Broke the case off the back the battery expanded so much

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Yep, my boss brought his old PSP (2002) into our office a while back for storage, and the battery had bulged and almost popped the little door off.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
It's true. Removing the battery or charging it once in a while helps for the same reason: It prevents the battery from being deeply discharged, which is a state when batteries are prone to swelling and deterioration. You only have charge the battery often enough that it doesn't go empty, defined as being able to start the device on battery. You can look at the built in gauge to get an idea of how close to empty you are, and get an idea of how often you need to charge. The rate of discharge probably varies a bit between PSP models and batteries (and perhaps also the age of the battery) so it's best to see for yourself. For me, I think it was a few months with the battery sitting in the PSP, while the battery seems to keep some charge for years while removed. The difference is probably due to the battery-backed clock of the PSP.
Thank you for the detailed write-up. I really appreciate it when someone takes their time to write a really helpful reply. I will follow the advice and hopefully it can extend the lives of my PSPs.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Ruh-roh... Last time I've checked was around 9 months ago, will have to check that again next time I go to my parents place (left my old PSP there).

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Ruh-roh... Last time I've checked was around 9 months ago, will have to check that again next time I go to my parents place (left my old PSP there).

Good luck. Just checked mine out of curiosity (I'm usually pretty good about these things) and the PSP battery is bloated and toasted. System is OK, but that battery is never getting used again.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the info.
I've got several PSPs that I haven't touched for a long time, I need to go and check them now.

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for the detailed write-up. I really appreciate it when someone takes their time to write a really helpful reply. I will follow the advice and hopefully it can extend the lives of my PSPs.

You're welcome! And about the temperature - cooler is better, but it should be above freezing and not too humid. The latter makes me a little vary of storing batteries in the refrigerator, because of potential condensation, so I don't actually do that. But at least avoiding places that get hot due to direct sunlight etc. is probably a good idea.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
We had a thread a few days ago. Probably the reason Jeff went to dig his out. I noticed my PSP a couple years short when I was hankering for psx games on the go.

Deleted member 9714

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just checked my PSP and the battery seemed fine. The lid was snug and I could remove and place the battery without an issue. It's a PSP 3000, one side of the battery is slightly rounded which I think is intentional to fit the contours of the device. I checked a image for a listing online and it also had the rounded side. My PSP will probably remain in storage for several years, so I'll keep the battery separate. Is there an optimal/safe way to store it?

I'll make sure I dig my Wii U out of storage and remove the battery tomorrow.

Deleted member 1722

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah a few months ago I got a new battery and memory card for my PSP.. went into the closet to dig it out and the old battery had bulged and popped the battery door off!

Renmyra

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Happened to me too. Don't really care though since I haven't used it it nearly 10 years.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
I still use both of mine quite often, so I'm good. I had an old 1000 that ended up taking a small drop. One of the pins on the battery must have chipped or broken off because it stopped charging. I left that battery in a drawer and boy did that thing get beefy. Watch out with those batteries.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Yeah had this happen to my PSP battery. Killed the face buttons on the unit too. Have it fixed now but I have to make due with cheap third party batteries from ebay that don't last.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
If this happens to my Go I will weep forever.

The one that shipped with my 2000 stopped holding a charge like half a decade ago.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Back in 2010? when I bought my refurb PSP, I bought an extra battery (official from Sony) because I wasn't sure if the original battery would be any good. That extra battery was already bulging and wouldn't fit in the PSP. So I've been aware that this could be an issue for a long time.

Also very curious about these supposed AAA battery replacement adapters.