• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
:-( Damn, I have a couple of PSPs, a PSPGo, a few DS' lying around somewhere having not been used in years.
All will have batteries still connected...
Now I have to wait til I get home from work to find out how bad the situation is.

Last edited:

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I lost mine about 4 years ago. Sucked too because it was the phat battery with the slim PSP. All things must pass, rip in peach

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, I have two PSP stocked here, a 2000 with a broken UMD Drive and a launch one that still worked perfectly for ripping my library.

Can a PSP work without the battery, like, by being plugged into the wall or the battery serves as a bridge for power?

Edit: Just checked my launch one, which seems to be OK so far. I did cycle it last year though, but it barely holds charge anymore.

One important thing for you all, do not throw your batteries in the trash bin. Dispose of those responsibly! Look for disposal centers near your postal code.

Last edited:

Arcia

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Ah fuck. Saw this thread and dug out my PSP and the battery was bulging out of the back. Took the lid off and the battery was swollen AND had a big crack on it. I pulled that shit out quick! I hope the PSP isn't damaged too much from any of this.

So, what is the proper way to dispose of these things in a safe way?

rou021

Oct 27, 2017
I dug my two PSPs out a couple months ago and found the batteries like this. It's bad enough it's not as "portable" as it used to be, but now I can't upgrade the firmware on them either. Can't play newer games or load CFW. It would nice to have two that'll work just long enough for me to install new firmware. Anybody know if there's a source for decent replacement batteries anymore?

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Dug out my PSP 1000 just now. Man, he memories.
Luckily the battery was fine so it's now removed. I have a sealed spare one as well.

My PSP Go is ok, and I'm going ahead and charging it now.

Well, fuck, I'd rather keep those mint. Don't know what to do now.
Yeah, it sucks. It's possible nothing will happen, but there's always a chance for battery failure.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This will be fun in 15 years when Switch units will start to do this as well...

Also, I think these won't work without the battery inside. :(

On a more postive and actual note, thank god my PSP will work without the battery when plugged to the power supply.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah I found this out last year when I dug my psp out for my kid to use.

It bulged so much, it popped the battery compartment lid right off the psp.

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
Checked my slim, seemed fine but had a bit of a time removing it and putting it back in. Turns out there was a little bulge in the connector end. Guess its time to check all my stored handhelds...

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Have an original. A month ago I noticed the battery was twice the size and tossed it. I can't find the charger for the dang thing anyways so ohwell . I know I had a second battery but can't find kt

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't used mine in probably 9 years and yeah, it's fucked. Battery and case just fell right onto the ground when I pulled it out of the little soft pouch.

xuLDdF4.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
I've just realized I'm gonna have to cycle my OLED Vita until the end of time... Or until my 64GB memory card corrupts, because I recently learned that's also a thing that happens.

But I want it to last forever :`-(

madmook

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
Damn, just checked my PSP and yep the battery is fucked. Glad I saw this thread and checked, otherwise who knows how much longer it would have been before I took my PSP out of storage.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
Heh, I did the same with mine yesterday after DF Retro's episode and found mine had done the same thing. Not completely split open, but enough to force the door off and create a small tear on the plastic.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Here's mine, straight from the drawer where it has been living for many years.

http:///DYMc.jpeg

indask8

Oct 28, 2017
Happened about a year ago to 3 out of 7 of my PSP batteries, keeping an eye on the remaining ones (PSP Go and E1000 are going to suck if it happens to them, battery is internal).

Narumi

Oct 25, 2017
Just checked and yeah my PSP battery's swollen too. How do I dispose of it? I'm in Malaysia by the way. And would appreciate if anyone could tell me where to dispose them and where to get a replacement.

EDIT: Okay so I just took it to a local cell phone store and asked the owner to help me dispose of it properly (since it's a lithium ion battery anyway).

Last edited:

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Mine's still good.

Charging right now.

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
Mine is good, funny considering its a Japanese launch unit that hasn't been touched for nearly a decade. Either way gonna follow the detach battery when not in use advise, just in case.

Turnabout Sisters

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Mine appears to be in surprisingly good condition, but I have used it at least once every few months since I bought it used a few years ago.

meaulnes

Oct 27, 2017
This happened to my psp 2000 battery. When I picked it up a couple of months ago after not using it at all for 3 years. I bought a chinese battery which I assume will be crap but for the moment does the job.
While it is true that this can happen to any unused device, it is very common in psp.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
??? So is the PSP. So why did you make the (negatively framed) comparison?

Because, as I said in the initial post, the PSP does not require a battery when plugged into an outlet unlike those other devices.

You can make your battery easily replaceable but as long as it's something the hardware requires to function, rather than directly using an outlet, it's going to be a sore spot for me.

Last edited:

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Bought my PSP in 2005 and haven't used it in like 5 years and checked battery and it was sill in good condition. I guess I lucked out with really good quality battery.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I checked mine a couple months ago since I wanted to fire it up again - the battery was so bulged that it had actually warped the battery cover.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, one of my PSP batteries is bulging (3000), thanks OP!

Thankfully my big boss PSP is fine, the battery looks normal.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
My laptop battery did this.

My PSP is at my friend's house though. I hardly used it enough to justify buying it, but I was making good money at the time and wanted to play some of its games. I know that we bought a new charging cord when my friend borrowed it, hopefully the battery is okay.