Votes: 328 30.2%
  • It's all right

Votes: 350 32.2%
  • Thor 2: The Dark World

Votes: 79 7.3%

• Total voters

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It makes no sense as a movie, has needlessly convoluted plot, but the scene where the football field collapses is cool.

I think it's bad.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
I'd rather rewatch Thor 2 than 'Rises.

To my eyes anyway, it seems they wanted to fit certain characters and a certain Wayne character arc into a movie and came up with a nonsensical script to move the pieces around where they wanted them.

Mind you it's been years since I've seen it so a rewatch may make me change my mind, but that's not a path I'd intentionally walk down by myself (ie, I'd watch it with friends if they were going to watch it).

RedSonja

Oct 29, 2017
I think it's all right and enjoyed it. Not as good as the other 2 though. Batman's done himself in and is a bit knackered, needs to retire but has just one more important mission which brings him across foes both old and new. And he also makes a new friend along the way!

chimpsteaks

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 12, 2019
The near 33/33/33 split makes it clear that the movie whelmed the audience. Which is right because it was totally solid while totally forgettable

Oct 30, 2017
completely nonsensical plot with mostly terrible execution, but i do love me some bane

Oct 27, 2017
Better than any of the live action DC films since that's for sure.

I would take the more simplistic, yet functional, WW, Aquaman and Shazam. At the very least, those movies work and succeed in telling their stories.

Dark Knight Rises just doesn't make any sense: doesn't work as a Batman movie, doesn't work as an action movie, doesn't work as a detective/drama. It is a complex and long mess that falls apart upon a closer inspection.

Justice_DP

Jan 28, 2020
It is a strange follow up to "The Dark Knight" and an even stranger stand-alone movie, despite some very good ideas.
Nothing in the ending of TDKt set up rise. The storylines, the characters etc. are at odds with the rest of the trilogy.
I never got the impression that Bruce was hurt as bad during TDK as he was shown to be at the beginning of rises (and the ten minutes it takes to remedy that), that he would/could quit after TDK etc. . In many ways TDK was the second part of the origin story of batman, putting all the pieces in place for the "traditional" Batman to operate. And then rise struggled to deal with this. As a stand alone movie that showed the twighlight years of Bruce (however he was still in his 30ties in the Movie) it may have worked. Even with the plotholes. As the basic idea of class struggle and how this ideas can be perverted etc. was nice and proved to be a relevant as well as powerful statement for the last 10 years (however I don't think that a billionaire with a need for a good therapy session and the idea to punch all problems is the best solution to it)

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Always seemed like Era for some reason dislikes this movie the most compared to other places.

Every other metric such a RT, MC, cinemascore, imdb all give it pretty good scores.

swift-darius

May 10, 2018
I already thought it was a bad movie, but after 2020 I absolutely couldn't stomach watching it again, despite Hardy's performance

all the police stuff just reads to me as blatant copaganda, especially when juxtaposed against the 'anarchy' subtext directed at occupy at the time but which could easily be pointed toward e.g. BLM. and then of course there's the weird privacy stuff with batman's surveillance of the whole city in the previous film. it just kinda feels like a really gross lowkey vindication of authoritarian law enforcement and a condemnation of public assembly

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
It's alright but the whole thing falls apart when you start to think about the timelines and set up of it.

It's also no suprise that a billionaire would be in favour of the cops.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
It's..alright.

I did not expect the end to TDK to mean Bruce was hanging up the cowl and would go into hiding for a few years, that has always struck me as strange and not the story I wanted. It felt like a lazy way to adapt the DKR comic but with a young Bruce. The part where the veteran cop tells the "rookie" he's in for a show tonight always felt so forced and didn't really make sense with the timescales of everything. It's just very lazy by Nolan's standards.

Last edited:

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
It has lofty ambitions that the writers and director failed to realize pretty spectacularly. So many things in that movie that make you go "really? That's what you went with?".

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
I only enjoyed The Dark Knight and you know why. The rest were about as fun as Phantom Menace for me, that is to say, easy to fall asleep during.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
I think it's quite good, but what do I know? Some people seemingly find Thalia's death moment as something that practically assassinates the entire movie.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
It works in the context of Christopher Nolan's Batman Universe (like Dark Knight it's not a great Batman film itself), but as a film as a whole it's poorly crafted by Nolan's standards like he was just getting it out and done so he can move on with other projects.

Now this isn't an excuse, Jurassic Park was only done by Spielberg because the studio promised to fund Schindler's List. In fact post production was left in the hands of George Lucas which gave George the inspiration to go ahead with Episode 1. Yet the film is bloody fantastic despite just being a means to an end for Spielberg.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Depends of what you're comparing it to. It's the weakest of the Dark Knight trilogy by far, but compared to most other Batman (or DC in general) live-action movies it's a masterpiece.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
It's a 6/10. It's just very... joyless and about an hour too long. Batman Begins remains the best Nolan Batman film

MrZaha

Jan 9, 2018
It's..alright.

I did not expect the end to TDK to mean Bruce was hanging up the cowl and would go into hiding for a few years, that has always struck me as strange and not the story I wanted. It felt like a lazy way to adapt the DKR comic but with a young Bruce. The part where the veteran cop tells the "rookie" he's in for a show tonight always felt so forced and didn't really make sense with the timescales of everything. It's just very lazy by Nolan's standards.
That part with the cop was homage from the dark knight returns

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It honestly plays like a comedy watching it now. Bane is ridiculous and some of the logic is insane at times.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
main-qimg-baae9f8516a33ea3543ef45079bb09e6

Ultratech

Oct 25, 2017
It's an average-to-bad movie full of questionable decisions made worse by being a follow-up to two pretty great movies.

It did give us this rendition of Bane, so it's got that going for it at least.

The movie asks too much of your suspension of disbelief in order to be enjoyable.

Also this. You start thinking too hard on details and it completely falls apart.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ULTRA bad.

I post this video everytime because it straight up annihilates TDKR.

Oh man, I've avoided these based on the horrible thumbnails, but this was the funniest thing I've seen in a long time. Good stuff.
They forget to mention that Batman retired because the Dent Act finally made crime illegal. Why didn't anyone think of that before?

Mr.Awesome

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
It's a top 5 comic book movie ever. Probably top 3. Its mistake was coming on the heels of the Dark Knight which may be the best action movie ever period.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
It was aight, nothing more.

It's often compared to The Dark Knight but any movie suffers in that comparison. I think Rises was in general just alright anyway.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
It was good with the first viewing and kinda boring the second time around. I'll give it an "It's alright".