• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Halloween or Christmas movie

• Halloween

Votes: 104 22.7%
  • Christmas

Votes: 103 22.5%
  • Both

Votes: 251 54.8%

• Total voters

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
It was released during Halloween originally, so I'll go with that.

I do prefer watching it during Christmas tho. 🤷‍♂️

Mr. President

Oct 27, 2017
It is set primarily after Halloween and the plot is all about Christmas.
It's a Christmas movie, but an early-season one.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I'm going to say Christmas, but I could be persuaded otherwise.

Edit: Well now you added the Both option and ruined the poll. Obviously it's both.

Last edited:

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

lol, I agree its both.

I always split the difference and watch it at Thanksgiving
This disturbs me with Home Alone....its forever shown during Thanksgiving... its clearly a Christmas movie.

It doesnt help that every year Christmas decorations and music on the radio starts earlier n earlier...last year literally the day after Thanksgiving. For decorations....this might start in Oct now.

Kid Heart

Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

Honestly either holiday works. Aesthetically it definitely leans more towards Halloween, but you could argue the message and themes of the film lean more towards Christmas. Personally I prefer to watch it around Halloween, but Christmas is still an acceptable answer.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The movie was literally inspired by that almost "instant switchover" malls and adverts do when they're all about Halloween til OCT 31, then immediately flip to reds and greens by the very next day.

...So it's exactly that. A movie that gets added royalties for airing around BOTH holidays seasons. 👑

Even as an adult, I'd have LOVED to see the other doors in the woods

latest

...Thanksgiving sounds weird and horrifying though.

Last edited:

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's about Halloween, featuring Christmas.

Don't think there is a wrong answer though.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Annual thread/poll

www.resetera.com

My wife’s favorite Halloween movie is Hocus Pocus, mine is Nightmare Before Christmas. She said that doesn’t count... what say you Era?

An argument can be made that it’s both a Christmas and a Halloween movie, but I don’t see how I’m “wrong”. I mean, look at the setting of the movie.... Discuss

The real answer is this is part of the movie's marketing brilliance, it's appropriate for both seasons. Personally, I think the amount of time spent in Halloween town, the lead character, the amount of truly macabre stuff in there and the main villain all pretty clearly make it a predominantly halloween movie, and that's when I tend to watch it. The Christmas town stuff is amazing, but it's very brief and then otherwise he's terrorizing people on Christmas lol

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
The movie was literally inspired by that almost "instant switchover" malls and ads do when they're all about Halloween til OCT 31, then immediately flip to reds and greens the next day.

So it's exactly that. A movie that gets added royalties for airing around BOTH holidays seasons. :P

Even as an adult, I'd have LOVED to see the other doors in the woods

latest

...Thanksgiving sounds weird and horrifying though.
Thanksgiving Town is just a poultry processing facility.

Kadey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Southeastern PA
It is a Tim Burton movie figuratively and literally. He dresses like it's Halloween everyday but he acts like it's Christmas everyday.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Halloween, the Christmas part is just story set up for Halloween anyway.

Beefsquid

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I always watch it for Halloween, and usually end up watching it near Christmas again anyways. It's a holiday season movie

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
This is just a ploy to drive up D+ minutes watched.

OP you son of a bitch. I always forget this movie is 1.66:1.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
It's obviously both. Pretty clever for marketing.

I really wish Disneyland didn't keep the Haunted Mansion NBC themed for 5 months a year though. It's supposed to be special, but it's there for nearly half the year. Even worse, it's in prime vacation time, I have a sister who has NEVER seen the regular Haunted Mansion.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Used to scare me as a kid, however me and my sister usually watch it for Christmas.