• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Halloween or Christmas movie

• Halloween

Votes: 104 22.7%
  • Christmas

Votes: 103 22.5%
  • Both

Votes: 251 54.8%

• Total voters

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
You can start watching it in October until the end of the year and be just fine.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
Putting both kind of defeats the purpose of the poll because obviously there's a bit of both in it. That's not up for debate.

The real question, is it more Halloween or more Christmas?

Red Comet

Jan 6, 2018
Both which is why it's perfect for this time of year. We usually watch it in early November

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
It's both.

I'd watch it at Halloween and not Christmas, though. Probably because the first half is way cooler than the second.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
It's halfway between a Halloween movie and a Christmas movie.

So it's a Thanksgiving movie.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
It's purely both because it's literally about appreciating each holiday as its own unique thing.

Santa states the moral in the original poem:

"My dear Jack," said Santa, "I applaud your intent.
I know wreaking such havoc was not what you meant.
And so you are sad, and feeling quite blue,
But taking over Christmas was the wrong thing to do.
I hope you realize Halloween's the right place for you."

Oct 25, 2017
Christmas media is always given a lot of freedom in tone, from Charlie Brown to Die Hard to Elf to Krampus. NBC falls into that category of being a celebration of Christmas even though for much of it veers off into something less typical of Christmas. The reverse doesn't really exist for Halloween.

Jan 3, 2018
90% of the movie takes place in Halloweentown with Halloween characters and Halloween imagery. Halloween.

Last edited:

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I think it's very much a Christmas movie wearing a Halloween costume. It's a "weirdos save Christmas" movie, it's in the same category as quite a few other Christmas classics.

That said, the perfect time to watch Nightmare Before Christmas is after Halloween but before Thanksgiving. The ideal day is November 1st. When you still have strong Halloween vibes but you're just starting to catch those holiday season feels.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
It's both, but if pressed I would have to say it's more a Christmas movie than a Halloween movie.

To be precise, it's a Halloween-themed Christmas movie.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I remember hearing there was gonna be an animated movie about a skeleton that loves Christmas and thinking it was the dumbest thing I'd ever heard.

Boy, was I wrong.

Last edited:

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
It's both.

But what I find funny is how in the last 10 years or so, Nightmare Before Christmas went from a sort of cult movie to merchandised to hell and back and at the forefront of all of Disney's Halloween stuff.

And now Hocus Pocus is getting the same treatment.