Do you think the Nintendo Switch is a good value at $299?

• Yes

Votes: 1,338 60.7%
  • No

Votes: 868 39.3%

• Total voters

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
it depends on what you consider "value"
you might call power "value" but others call the games or portable hybrid form factor "value"

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Portability/miniaturization has always come a premium. Look at smartphones.

Nintendo didn't cheap out on the Switch like the GameBoy line either. It's was pretty modern tech at launch.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
No because of Series S and the coming revision/Switch 2. A couple months ago I would've said yes.

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
Exclusives, great indie support and portability are the big three for the Switch! I value all of those quite a bit, so it's my fave console at the moment. Can't really vouch for its sheer hardware vs cost valuation though.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
I'm waiting for the Switch+ next year. It'll probably be $350 and have a bunch if QoL improvements

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
I don't think it's ever been a good value in a general sense. However Breath of the Wild is God Tier and with Metroid Prime 4 coming, I have no choice if I want to play those games.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
If you value portable gaming, then maybe, otherwise owning the system can get very expensive. Purely for home gaming I would say the system is very poor value.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Portability/miniaturization has always come a premium. Look at smartphones.

Nintendo didn't cheap out on the Switch like the GameBoy line either. It's was pretty modern tech at launch.

You can say Nintendo "cheaped out" on the Game Boy but their tech strategy proved to be far more effective than its competitors. Color portable gaming wasn't sustainable technology in the early 90s.

Tell me of other way to play Dark Souls on the shitter.

Remote play with the Vita! lol

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, it's still got a unique value proposition as a hybrid, not even counting getting access to the first party Nintendo library.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Get it in a bundle with a game then sure

Here's hoping for some good holiday bundles and not like what happened last year...

Poyunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It may not be the most powerful but for the library and the convenience of portability for parents/kids.

Most definitely.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
yes for the games

tech wise... it's going to be a lot more difficult to swallow once that series s drops

but in the end, supply and demand rules. if anything, nintendo could probably get away with raising the price given how the shit constantly ran into shortages.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
You can say Nintendo "cheaped out" on the Game Boy but their tech strategy proved to be far more effective than its competitors. Color portable gaming wasn't sustainable technology in the early 90s.

Remote play with the Vita! lol
Oh definitely. It was smart design wise, especially due to battery tech at the time.

I'm just saying their portables were never cutting edge until the Switch. They prioritized durability and battery life. That's a huge paradigm shift.

luoapp

Oct 27, 2017
If XBS comes out right now with current list of games, I bet switch can still out sell it after the initial launch crowd.

OP
OP
eKongDiddy

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
The hardware is overpriced but the lineup is strong and as long as it sells there is no reason to reduce the price. There is more to the price of an item than the BoM.

I think no for hardware but yes for software.

Ye, you're right about the lineup. I bought at launch and just counted my games. I've never purchased 96 games on any other console before, haha. I only have about 5 games for my PS4, and most of my games on PC are through GamePass and HumbleBundle. The games are fun and that should be the most important part. I'm just worried about the Switch getting left behind in ports, and I was expecting Nintendo to come out with a more powerful revision.

TheFurizzlyBear

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who loves Nintendo games but just doesn't care about the portability I would say not anymore. It was fine as a launch price but I'm ready for a stronger Switch now.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I wish there were more original/new Nintendo titles for it… getting kind of sick of replaying (and rebuying) Nintendo's older games. At least there are indies I guess.

The last 2 years outside of Animal Crossing has been pretty dry as far as new Nintendo titles.

Where's the new Mario Kart? Pikmin 4? Will we see a new Donkey Kong game ever again? Metroid Prime 4?

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Well one thing I forgot to add was if you do ever buy the switch please don't go for the lite. Buy the v2 and save yourself the trouble of having to replace the whole unit instead of just the joycon when drift starts to occur.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
The only thing that hurts the value a bit for me is that the first party games often are still full price. Imagine if they dropped their games to 29.99 after a year like Sony does. Would be an incredible value.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
The tech was good at launch. Now needs an upgrade at the same price point, or get a price cut.

But the overall value (that includes the portability and the software) holds well at 300.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Not really. Nintendo has always overpriced their systems/software imo. But they make great and unique games that I don't want to miss out on, so it is what it is.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
When it comes to nintendo hardware and worth of price, the answer is generally no.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
Ye, you're right about the lineup. I bought at launch and just counted my games. I've never purchased 96 games on any other console before, haha. I only have about 5 games for my PS4, and most of my games on PC are through GamePass and HumbleBundle. The games are fun and that should be the most important part. I'm just worried about the Switch getting left behind in ports, and I was expecting Nintendo to come out with a more powerful revision.
I new console will happen but I don't see it happening soon with the way things are going for them. The Switch might not see many ports going forward but original content is great. Especially first party.

NightHamAlum

Apr 20, 2020
Washington, D.C.
Absolutely. The hybrid aspect is a significant part of it's value. The ability to play the Nintendo and third party games on the go or at home is a huge part of it's appeal for me and many. That's without talking about the Nintendo exclusives as well.

Being able to play Diablo 3, Rocket League or Mario Kart 8 has been huge for me.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, what's the alternative for a hybrid with a diverse library?
As always, no competition no price drop.

OP
OP
eKongDiddy

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
I wish there were more original/new Nintendo titles for it… getting kind of sick of replaying (and rebuying) Nintendo's older games. At least there are indies I guess.

The last 2 years outside of Animal Crossing has been pretty dry as far as new Nintendo titles.

Where's the new Mario Kart? Pikmin 4? Will we see a new Donkey Kong game ever again? Metroid Prime 4?

I've been telling my friends the same thing. I'm tired of playing Mario Kart 8. It's been out since WiiU and all of the tracks are boring now. Mario Kart Live is interesting, but we need Mario Kart 9! Even with the releases of the 3D Mario games, I was expecting more of a remaster akin to the Spyro games, and I'm disappointed in what's being offered.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
for a console you can take on the go and put on your tv at home plus all the games it has on it absolutely. will it possibly get a price drop come november? probably.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
I really wish their games would go on sale sometimes though. My Switch library is not very big, and the main reason is that every time I look to buy a new game (like Mario Odyssey, for example, which has been out for years at this point), and see that $60 price tag, I just think of the 2-4 PS4/PC games on my wishlist that I could buy with that money. I generally only get 1 or 2 games a year at full price, so while I've got over 50 PS4 games, I don't even own 10 games on Switch.

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably approaching time for a price drop, but the large number of exclusives and portability still go a long way toward justifying the price.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
I couldn't justify the price to myself and my expected use case, so I got a Lite instead at $199.

Dr. Collins

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OP this argument made no sense in 2017 when Switch came out, and it makes even less sense now.

Does the Series S double as a fully-functional portable game system and home console that comes bundled with 2 controllers and a TV dock?

Your point only makes sense if you're comparing two systems that double as both portable and home console.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
The game library right now makes the price worth it.

Why would an Xbox Series S offer more value if there's nothing I would want to play on it?

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's the best way to play Nintendo games. So yeah.

But I'm ready for the Pro.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Nope, not when something similar priced has better looking games at a next gen level in regards to frame rates and power.

A switch should be like $200