Do you think the Nintendo Switch is a good value at $299?

• Yes

Votes: 1,338 60.7%
  • No

Votes: 868 39.3%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
You can get it cheaper and there's way too much smoke of a new model coming out soon for there to be no fire. If we ignore that it's 4 years old now then yeah, purely looking at price it's still fine for $300.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Value aside it is kind of amazing its been out 3.5 years without a single price drop.

Real talk: I think the old paradigm of consoles starting out expensive and then slowly dropping in price over the course of the generation is pretty much a thing of the past. Iterative improvements at the same price are sort of the new thing. The 3DS XL and then the New 3DS XL were $199 MSRP for years and years. The Series S is replacing the One S at the same price. I think we'll probably see a "New Nintendo Switch" replace the current model at the same price point, and that will be that. The Series S will be $299 until it's replaced with the Series 2S for $299, and so on.

The One S and PS4 have been sitting at $299 MSRP for even longer than the Switch has.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Yes it's a good value but the time for a price drop is approaching. Series S definitely hampers the value a tiny bit, but the portability is still worth a lot to people.

aceldama

Jun 8, 2019
The Switch is a handheld. The Series S isn't.

It's an entirely different hardware proposition plus the former is the only place you can play new Nintendo games.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Given the amount of full console games with 80+ metacritic scores playable on a handheld device I'd say yes.

Agree with those saying a price drop is coming though, next year might see a new model take the existing price point and reduce the price of the older model.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played a mobile console better than it. So in that respect it is still good value. Plus you can flip it for MSRP if you get tired or are unhappy with it.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
It's the only mainstream option as an hybrid system on the market and it has all the Nintendo library exclusive to it. So yeah, of course it is.

tazmin

Oct 30, 2017
Not sure why the price drops comments are happening when Nintendo can't even keep the console in stock. Just exacerbates an already existing issue

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
For me its the games. Reguardless of the price of the Series S the games i want to play are on the Switch so it wins out in the end.

SemRockwel

Oct 27, 2017
Not really. But since it sells well Nintendo doesn't seem to have any motivation to lower the price. The era of a system slowly turning into a budget machine over the course of it's live span seems to be over. This goes for all systems now tbh.

lightchris

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Speaking for myself it is a bit too expensive. I surely would've bought one by now if the price was closer to 200€. Reason is that I would only use it as a stationary console and I currently don't see myself buying more than 5 to 10 games for it.

On the other hand it sells very well, so for most people the Switch is obviosly a good value.

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely, but I do think having a console basically two console generations ahead at the same price point muddies the waters.The Switch is in such a unique spot that it is hard to compare.

I don't see a price drop happening on the current model until we get a Switch Pro or Switch 2, though. As long as Animal Crossing, Mario Kart and maybe Zelda continue to sell consoles, they're set.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer - Powered by Friendship™
Oct 27, 2017
It was. They'll probably want to drop the price a bit now that the SSXbox Tricky has the same price.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
The value of playing the Switch library handheld and on your TV, seamlessly, makes it worth $300. The hybrid technology is a big sell for so many people. We can talk about graphical prowess all day, but this ability to play your games anywhere is big.

Aug 12, 2019
Absolutely, but I do think having a console basically two console generations ahead at the same price point muddies the waters.The Switch is in such a unique spot that it is hard to compare.

I don't see a price drop happening on the current model until we get a Switch Pro or Switch 2, though. As long as Animal Crossing, Mario Kart and maybe Zelda continue to sell consoles, they're set.

Two generations ahead doesn't mean anything unless they have compelling software for people to play on that console that they also can't play elsewhere. The software of every console determines whether or not it is of any value to you, not so much the hardware itself.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Tech and quality wise? Definitely not! Games wise? Yes, you don't get games like Nintendo make them anywhere else.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Sure, it's got solid power for a portable (especially given it's age). It's a portable. which means it's own display and associated costs. It plays Nintendo 1st party. Absolutely. The consumer has already spoken.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I'm willing to wager that most people will buy the X over the S, similar to what happened when the 360 main and core version. Eventually the core got discontinued. The advantage Switch had over S is portability, besides a good library and to me that trumps the S model no matter what. I'll be picking up an X model eventually but as long ad Nintendo Switches keep selling like hotcakes, don't expect any reaction anytime soon.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
To be fair, the question isn't "is the Switch correctly priced for the market?" It's "do *you* think it's a good value?" and I don't, personally.

The market is just a sum of personal opinions in a way. I find it very hard to see why a Nintendo console and handheld device with the line up of the Switch couldn't be worth 300 bucks honest.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Software is great, hardware is ok considering it's portable. So overall, yes.

correojon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
With the Xbox Series S being revealed at $299 offering a next gen experience, is the Nintendo Switch currently a good value at $299? Should Nintendo release an updated version to compete with the new consoles, so they can ensure ports are still able to run on the Switch? There have been some 3rd party ports, and even 1st party releases, that don't run at native resolutions to compensate for the Switch's current hardware.

Comparing the capabilities of the two systems at their current price point, The Xbox Series S, seems to offer a lot more for the same price as a Switch.
What is exactly this "next-gen experience" you're talking about? Because thus far we haven't seen anything really and in fact most threads in this forum tend to point out that next gen is not bringing anything new to the table and is barely exiciting people. It also looks like we're still 2 or 3 years away from games that will really start using the power of the new machines.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
The Switch is the worst value in gaming. It's just a matter of whether you need Nintendo's games or not.

Everything else is Switch tax. The most expensive ports that run the worst.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
If you care about Nintendo games, yes. If you don't care about Nintendo games, no.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
It's a better value at $299 with the current library than the 3DS at $249 was before the price gutting

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Can you undock the Series S and play it portably? There's a price for that kind of convenience, and an obvious performance trade-off you need to accept in terms of that hybrid design.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, especially for someone that doesn't use the screen.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Hardware wise, no.

Software wise, yes.

This.

Nvidia was selling a Tegra X1 portable gaming machine at $199 all the way back in 2015. Five years later and Nintendo is selling that same SoC for $300. Granted, they include things like Joy-Con and such which drives the cost up, but still. The hardware itself is absolutely not worth a $300 price.

It's the software lineup that adds the value.

Oct 25, 2017
It's an amazing value if you use it both as a console to television device and a portable device. Even if you used it just as one or the other, it's still a decent value since it has built a very solid library of games by this point.

Oct 25, 2017
Two generations ahead doesn't mean anything unless they have compelling software for people to play on that console that they also can't play elsewhere. The software of every console determines whether or not it is of any value to you, not so much the hardware itself.
True. That's why it only muddies the water, instead of creating a clear advantage. Specs vs games. Both have value, but it really depends on what you're looking for.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
With the Xbox Series S being revealed at $299 offering a next gen experience, is the Nintendo Switch currently a good value at $299? Should Nintendo release an updated version to compete with the new consoles, so they can ensure ports are still able to run on the Switch? There have been some 3rd party ports, and even 1st party releases, that don't run at native resolutions to compensate for the Switch's current hardware.

Comparing the capabilities of the two systems at their current price point, The Xbox Series S, seems to offer a lot more for the same price as a Switch.
  1. Yes it is a great value
  2. I would be all over a Switch system with parity PS5/XSX. I would pay anything if it is viable without it being too hot or cumbersome...I can deal with expensive.

The experiences of Series S and the Switch are totally different so I wouldn't even compare them even if there was a Switch 4k. I'd rather compare them to some MS tablet + Game Streaming.

I would also love to add that $299 for what the Switch has to offer is a steal. I keep hating the fact that gamers in this hobby are cheap and I feel that holds the industry back. Paying $299 for a console that can play all the amazing games we've gotten is a steal and if it is not to anyone's satisfaction it can very easily be resold for cash.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Compared to the series s with gamepass it really isn't. But if you like the handful of exclusive Nintendo games it's a must.

Oct 25, 2017
if you are talking about what hardware you get, no. absolutely not.

but its the only place you can play nintendo games, so that is subjective.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
It's 3.5 years old and still full price. I can't think of any other game system that was full price that long. To me it's not a good value at $300, but since it's selling well I'm in the minority.
Because the demand is still high. That doesn't make it not worth it. It's holding value based on demand and software output.