jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
...The Gamepad has its own separate output for rendering, it doesn't use processing power of the main console itself.

Seriously? It's 2019 and people still think the Wii U is stronger? Goddamn people.
Uh, you're right that the Switch is noticeably stronger but no, the Gamepad uses the console's power to render everything, all you see on the Gamepad, game-wise, is just a video stream off the console.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Switch feels like WiiU done right. It's a little more powerful, but for most intents and purposes it's not. It still gets practically no high end AAA ports, just like WiiU. It's better because it's portable.
I was fearful this would be its big flaw, but thankfully it's become a success.

"The Wii U done right... 5 years too late."

Canas Renvall

Mar 4, 2018
Uh, you're right that the Switch is noticeably stronger but no, the Gamepad uses the console's power to render everything, all you see on the Gamepad, game-wise, is just a video stream off the console.
Sorry, I should've clarified, obviously it's using the Wii U to send the video stream but that's all it is. It's not the game rendering twice by any stretch of the imagination, it's not cutting the CPU power in half like the poster I quoted was saying.

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Sorry, I should've clarified, obviously it's using the Wii U to send the video stream but that's all it is. It's not the game rendering twice by any stretch of the imagination, it's not cutting the CPU power in half like the poster I quoted was saying.

Well in some rare games where it renders different picture like in Star Fox it uses the power but probably not half of it even then.

OP
OP
WhtR88t

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I don't know how more obvious it could get.

Apparently not obvious given some of the responses in this thread.

I get it that it "runs Wii U games at 1080p" when docked, although I hardly play my Switch in docked mode.

I guess the biggest thing is the amount of RAM the system has and the documentation/development tools developed around Tegra that it makes easier to develop for.

javac

Oct 28, 2017
So many misconceptions itt, no wonder threads about ports on the switch and the graphics of said games are a mess, makes so much sense

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
What would people say is the most technically ambitious game released on Switch right now? Highest IQ and/or CPU feats?

Oct 28, 2017

In all seriousness i was joking. The Switch is far more powerful however, I do think the fact that the Wii U had to render the image twice from separate views (Star Fox Zero) had an impact on the graphics in certain games.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
What would people say is the most technically ambitious game released on Switch right now? Highest IQ and/or CPU feats?

I'm going with hellblade that game was favorably compared to the best of the best on the PS4. Obviously the port isn't at that IQ but it's still a great one.

jts

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Well in some rare games where it renders different picture like in Star Fox it uses the power but probably not half of it even then.
^this, but yeah it's a 480p display so it doesn't eat that much rendering power and it's only for some games, and there are probably some optimization techniques involved.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Switch is more "powerful" in a lot of ways, particularly in that it uses modern architecture in a world where engines scale better than ever. Wii U was GameCube based tech taken to its end, which is why it had jittery versions of games that ran fine on even the PS3.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Did you just like miss all the enhanced Wii U -> Switch ports that Nintendo and others have been pumping out?

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still use my 3DS. XC2 doesn't go THAT low, but yes it's one of the lowest undocked resolutions at times. Dragon's Dogma coming tomorrow, but already turning up positive results for people.

I really do have to wonder why they never patched XC2. Do people know if it runs in the lowest power mode in handheld and that could be causing the low end dynamic resolution numbers.

Every game should use the Yoshi predictive frame AA solution on Switch (unless it's an UE4 exclusive feature? brainchild ) considering it looked like it was 900p to me when docked to a 50" 4k HDTV and it turned out to be 576p lol...

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Every game should use the Yoshi predictive frame AA solution on Switch (unless it's an UE4 exclusive feature? @brainchild ) considering it looked like it was 900p to me when docked to a 50" 4k HDTV and it turned out to be 576p lol...

It's not exclusive to UE4, no. There's nothing stopping other devs from doing it, though they'll obviously need to know how to implement it in order to take advantage of it.

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017
The Wii U GPU does seem to have some kind of "for-free" fur rendering that the Switch doesn't - DK's fur in Tropical Freeze and Smash took a real hit on Switch.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
How can ask you a question this insane...

The Wii U was a bulked-up Xbox 360. Whereas the Switch can run downports of Xbone games. The difference is, oh, I don't know..."generational"?

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I'm going with hellblade that game was favorably compared to the best of the best on the PS4. Obviously the port isn't at that IQ but it's still a great one.
Hellblade used pre rendered videos for its cutscenes, the game itself isn't that impressive compared to DOOM or Wolfstein running on Switch for example, it runs at 480p

However games like Skyrim or Dragons Dogma deserve credit too for being improved versions running at the highest resolution possible

Gamer4life

Dec 6, 2017
Switch would be even more so if they would allow full clock speed in docked mode which is over 1.7ghz for cpu and over 900mhz for gpu. Nvidia Shield has the same SOC but it smokes it due to running and full clock speed.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Oh god.... the viral marketing of the wii against nintendo still shows their effect today. Come on people... it's much better than wii u and ps3.

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
Switch would be even more so if they would allow full clock speed in docked mode which is over 1.7ghz for cpu and over 900mhz for gpu. Nvidia Shield has the same SOC but it smokes it due to running and full clock speed.
Not really true with at least the GPU. There is data around that shows that the Shield's clockspeed levels down due to heat and averages at around the same level as the Switch.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
How is this even a thread on ERA?
Next step :
Is the Switch more powerful than a DSi?
Because you clearly we can't tell already!

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
The Switch is as much as twice as powerful when portable. It also has the most modern GPU out of all the current consoles. It has some bottlenecks like memory bandwidth, and clock speeds of the cpu, but it is also the easiest platform to develop for on the market, as long as you have a devkit of course.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
The Switch is as much as twice as powerful when portable. It also has the most modern GPU out of all the current consoles. It has some bottlenecks like memory bandwidth, and clock speeds of the cpu, but it is also the easiest platform to develop for on the market, as long as you have a devkit of course.
Considering how "easy" to get the WiiU dev kits were....

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow regarding all the corrections. My source of the 1 teraflop info in Switch was GameSpot. That's crazy what the Switch can do. Nonetheless, despite FP16 vs. FP32, the Switch is still more powerful than Wii U.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I imagine Xenoblade 2 would run like a nightmare on the Wii U
just compare xenoblade X and xenoblade 2.
While X is more open, it's cutting a lot of corners that 2 doesn't have to.
You can also say goodbye to cellshaded characters because that shit is expansive too.
A WiiU centric game like BotW run markedly better on Switch undocked than it does on WiiU, just imagine what sub Switch undocked Xeno2 is going to look like.
You'll be lucky if the IQ doesn't fall behind actual Game Boy.