• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
I agree, but only if it's Samus giving the thumbs up

6717-m.webp

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
If you disapprove of someone's post, tell them that to their face, it's part of the enjoyment you can get out of a forum versus something like Reddit.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
i wouldn't mind it, there's not a good way to show agreement/appreciation for a post or response to a question without just quoting said post or mentioning a poster, and it's just weird to constantly do it. I think the lack of such a system contributes to the feeling of constant negativity in the forum as people often only act /quote/mention someone in times of disagreement.

it's just a 'like' feature with no corresponding 'dislike'.
the Youtube system if you will. heh.

gabegabe

Jul 5, 2018
Brazil
If you disapprove of someone's post, tell them that to their face, it's part of the enjoyment you can get out of a forum versus something like Reddit.

This, I think like and dislike is kind of a "coward" way to state your opinion. The idea of a forum is for people to debate about it, not to just like or dislike the things you agree or don't.

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
I've yet to see an upvote/downovte system in the context of a forum that A: works as intended, B: provides any benefit at all.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how it would be useful, we already have a threadmark feature for posts that are important, making a like system just invites toxicity.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
This isn't reddit. You can, instead, engage on the discussion to talk about the subject.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It would change the way communication is handled here, limiting discussion further. Which is the last thing we need.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
The upvote/downvote system is garbage. This is a forum, tell someone what you like/dislike about their post in words.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
We already have a culture of people only reading the thread title and banging out a snide reply because of the "first post best post" thing. We don't need people trying to fish for upvotes or whatever.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It just kind of motivates users to try and make posts for the most amount of praising feedback.

If I like a post I just quote it and say it fucks. Easy peasy.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The last thing we need is a circle-jerking like button that folks will just use to dogpile. We get enough dogpiles most days without the ego trip that a like button gives you, we don't need more.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I think a upvote (and downvote) system has several issues like posters downvoting questions asked. Happens on Reddit regularly.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Corny posters would already try harder than they do to get epic quotable posts and first replies

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The reason is it's an awful idea and thankfully the admins agree.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
Just reply to the posts you like and tell them why you agree or like what they posted.

That would also help increase some of the positivity in general around the site, far more than some Like system metagame would.

Ewaan

May 29, 2020
Motherwell, Scotland
I would like a feedback system for posts. It improves engagement between forum members. Any time I've seen it on forums it lets you know who's liked your post and gives an additional layer of interaction other than responding directly to that post.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Just because an opinion is popular does not mean its right. And likewise in reverse.

Oct 25, 2017
i wouldn't mind it, there's not a good way to show agreement/appreciation for a post or response to a question without just quoting said post or mentioning a poster, and it's just weird to constantly do it. I think the lack of such a system contributes to the feeling of constant negativity in the forum as people often only act /quote/mention someone in times of disagreement.

it's just a 'like' feature with no corresponding 'dislike'.
the Youtube system if you will. heh.
Incredibly well put, the like function is additive and reduces clutter overall. A virtual nod if you will. The sheer disdain and allergy to the very idea is just such a very boomer take on forum spaces.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021

It's possible to have a like button with no negative option. It's not something I care about one way or the other really, but it would maybe cut down on worthless replies of just "This." or "Agreed." and so on as one potential benefit I suppose.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I would like a feedback system for posts. It improves engagement between forum members. Any time I've seen it on forums it lets you know who's liked your post and gives an additional layer of interaction other than responding directly to that post.
Yep, and i've seen reddit mentioned a few times, but the system i've seen on another board implemented only has a like button and doesn't use the upvotes to rank ports, it's just additional feedback to show aggreement or appreciation