• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

resultant

Banned
Nov 3, 2020
Parts Unknown
We would probably get a third of the posts if not less that we do now if you could engage without actually conversing on here. The whole fun of ERA is that we actually talk to each other!

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Nah thumbs up/likes are the laziest engagement metric on social media.

This is a long form social media platform with the width to allow people to more succinctly express themselves. We don't need likes.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
ghost.gif
đź‘Ťđź‘Ťđź‘Ť

TY8UCNT.jpg

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Prepare yourself for more posts structured like

"my therapist: Weekend Era isn't real, it can't hurt you​
Weekend Era:"​

Ad infinitum

OP
OP
PenultimateFantasy
Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Personally i think it would help as a lot of threads are just people agreeing or disagreeing

This way - like only system not dislike - then you have to make a post to disagree and explain your disagreement and it reduces the amount of like posts.

you all say there's not enough interaction but many, many threads are super long and joining midday isn;t easy

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I imagine it reduces the total number of posts, and since that's the site's content they aren't in a rush to do that. A lot of posts are basically acknowledging a post or "liking" it with a reply, adding a button turns those into likes instead.

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
Personally i think it would help as a lot of threads are just people agreeing or disagreeing

This way - like only system not dislike - then you have to make a post to disagree and explain your disagreement and it reduces the amount of like posts.

you all say there's not enough interaction but many, many threads are super long and joining midday isn;t easy

Ok now I have to join midway AND look at the quality of the post. Thats bad.

Era does have a problem of people bandwagon agreeing regardless of how ridiculous an opinion is (which always leads to funny mass bans when 20 people go "this" "one and done" to a legit offensive take that 2 agreed with), but adding likes just gives all 20 bandwagoners 20 likes. It doesnt help.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Just read the Halo reddit as a recent example. It creates a situation where people pat their shoulders by shit posting, because they get rewarded for it in the form of reddit awards, karma and upvoted, which in their opinion justifies their views. Which then leads to even more shit posting imo, because it encourages those people in thinking "obviously everyone thinks that way, since they've upvoted me to heaven".

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017

it can always be worse, and this would make all of that worse. There are myriad examples out there, some very, very close to what it would be like here if that change was made.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, its not helpful and too open to abuse.

Threadmarks serve the purpose of highlighting important info.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's useful for the specific case that you enjoyed someone's post and want to show appreciation or encourage them but don't actually have anything substantial to say in response, so you'd just be cluttering up the page with "good one" or whatever. Aside from that, you might be able to argue that it discourages people from actually putting effort into voicing their thoughts.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I'm fine with a thumbs up system or a like system for post so that when someone posts a good zinger/joke/rib the thread doesn't devolve into every other post quoting them with "lol/owned/daaaamn/etc". A thumbs down is just a really bad idea on any message board or social media site imo.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
I think something like that would be useful. If someone makes a good point or corrects you on something, a thumbs up might suffice rather than a post etc.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
How is that good for discussions? Why not write and articulate if you agree or disagree with something.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Please no. Likes/ThumbsUp/Etc are the downfall of social media imo. The forum would have a massive shift towards people subconsciously replying with things that they think will get upvotes. It would ruin all discourse that I like about a forum.

If you like or agree with somebody, reply to their post and tell them so yourself. That's a lot more meaningful.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
I like a thumbs up only system. I've been on other forums that use it and it makes things nicer. It lets you know that people considered a point you made, and gives a nice little feeling of inclusion without clogging the forums with replies that say "this." This place is so full of standoffish assholes that it'd be nice to know other people out there actually agree rather than just feel like I'm throwing words into a void because nobody quotes your post unless you said something they want to disagree with.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017

I think some people would want to just come into a thread and post something snarky just to see how many likes they could get. It might not even be something they are interested in. I know people still happens but how the system is now could limit some of that since there are no likes.

I think not having likes or dislikes allows for more conversation in threads as others have said.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
The Penny Arcade forums instituted that idea years ago and it drove away everyone who wasn't already irl besties. Everything became a platitude that would garner a bunch of like symbols. It was terrible.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Upvote/downvote is a coward's way to engage with a forum.

make yourself heard or don't.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
This place (and forums in general) already has a bit of a dog piling issue. I️ don't see how that would do anything but encourage it tbh.

Oct 25, 2017
It's possible to have a like button with no negative option. It's not something I care about one way or the other really, but it would maybe cut down on worthless replies of just "This." or "Agreed." and so on as one potential benefit I suppose.

It keeps a thread active. Every response keeps the thread on top of the charts so more people can engage and speak. A like button will deteriorate all conversation and engagement.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like a thumbs up option. There are times when you are quoted about something that doesn't require a response. I always feel bad not acknowledging it in someway.