• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
In regard to this costume, I don't personally think it's over the top.

My fiancee loves 2B's design. She ordered a costume from a designer on Ebay based in China, only to have it get lost in shipment twice. And she was very angry.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
People censorship requires a power to force...

An opinion that something shouldn't exist is not censorship... it's just an opinion... Tons of people think say Gone Home shouldn't exist, they're wrong of course, but they aren't censoring non typical narrative games

Also this chain were it to happen is also not censorship: Criticism.----> criticism is received by artist ----> artist makes alterations after considering said crticism

Oct 27, 2017
Why are you shaming her opinion? You can literally find men/women liking everything. Doesn't mean that there can't be a disconfort for some people and they have the right to voice their thoughts.

It's criticism. Just like she's offering. She definitely has the right to voice her thoughts. No one is deleting or censoring her posts. But when we're having a discussion and she suggests women are a monolith or that she speaks for all women is disingenuous at best and dishonest at worst.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That isn't really "shaming" her opinion. The words she used clearly indicated she was speaking about the entire gender - not just her personal opinion. People pointed this fact out.
No? She said IN HER OPINION it's offensive to her gender, not that every female thinks this. It's impossible to find something that's 100% agreed by everyone, so this whole arguement makes no sense.

Deleted member 10293

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it's because he admits the character is sexualized because he feels like it. Why isn't Takahashi statement about the chara designs in Xeno 2 being aimed at teen boys giving him a free pass? I don't think it should, but doesn't seem different to me.

If it's because there's narrative explanations. Guess MGSV and FFXV criticism should be made after the games released then. Kojima even said there was a reason for Quiet's clothing (and he actually invented some bs explanation).

Feels like people are just coming up with excuses because they like the game.
It might be the latter but if you're ignoring the relevance it has with the central themes of the game, I don't know what to tell you

Chuchubabe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gratuitous ass? Check.
Gratuitous cleavage? Check.
Kinky blindfold? Check.

It may not be Quiet-tier, but it's not hard to see why people might roll their eyes at this design.

It is Quiet - tier, that is why i said he is a pervert and people raged at my comment.

With this said he can make the game he wants , its fine by me, but he did it because he is a pervert and he likes to see semi naked doll looking women in sexy costumes. Sex sells and he knows there is a crowd that loves this pervie stuff.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It is if it degrades and insults an entire gender with its portrayal of female characters.

I've said it numerous times, I have no problems with sexy themes in games. As long as there's context. I don't see your point at all.

Does there always need to be context? Is there no room for just engaging with something purely because of fantasy fulfillment? I'll totally co-sign the fact that I'm for continued diversity in games so everyone can find the things that speak to them but also like...sometimes you just want to stare at a butt because you want to stare a butt.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
When you say it insults an entire gender, and it is demonstrated that the entire gender is not insulted, then at the very least it shows you are projecting your opinion onto others with no right to do so.

You are misinterpreting.

I, specifically, feel like it degrades the female gender as a whole.

If the gender as a whole is not insulted in reality, cool. It's a fact that not all women feel as I do. But my opinion that such virtual portrayals are harmful is MY OPINION. Not anyone else's. It is not a concrete statistic, it is solely mine.

MCN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
It is Quiet - tier, that is why i said he is a pervert and people raged at my comment.

With this said he can make the game he wants , its fine by me, but he did it because he is a pervert and he likes to see semi naked doll looking women in sexy costumes. Sex sells and he knows there is a crowd that loves this pervie stuff.

Since when has liking naked women been perversion?

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
People censorship requires a power to force...

An opinion that something shouldn't exist is not censorship... it's just an opinion... Tons of people think say Gone Home shouldn't exist, they're wrong of course, but they aren't censoring non typical narrative games

Also this chain were it to happen is also not censorship: Criticism.----> criticism is received by artist ----> artist makes alterations after considering said crticism

About bolded: absolutely not.
And an opinion that something shouldn't exist is absolutely not censorship, but is asking for it. Do you see the difference?

Ahegao

Oct 28, 2017

That's just your opinion. Literally a few posts above yours says it's not Quiet tier.

The achievement to look up 2B's skirt enough times is incredibly degrading.

You don't have to do it nor do the more time consuming one in 9S' case. You can simply buy the trophies.

Oct 27, 2017
You are misinterpreting.

I, specifically, feel like it degrades the female gender as a whole.

If the gender as a whole is not insulted in reality, cool. It's a fact that not all women feel as I do. But my opinion that such virtual portrayals are harmful is MY OPINION. Not anyone else's. It is not a concrete statistic, it is solely mine.

Good. As long as that is clear. Because as women, there are thousands who 2B doesn't offend.

Chaparral

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This thread sure went down the shitter quickly. Then again, threads like these always have a timebomb attached to them before the asinine and the stupid come out to completely drown any sort of 'debate'

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It might be the latter but if you're ignoring the relevance it has with the central themes of the game, I don't know what to tell you
That does excuse every game from pre-release criticism then.

And yes, I didn't play this game as Drakengard 3 already offended me enough, but I don't see how this excuses the dual standard for pre-release reaction to Nier and other games. Also strange to imagine that people say Yoko Taro is "based" because of his statements.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
And an opinion that something shouldn't exist is absolutely not censorship, but is asking for it. Do you see the difference?

Not really... Not if they petitioned the government to ban it.... that would be censorship... but no one is doing that....

If someone made something I perceived as say racist and I go to the person and say hey this is racist because xyz could you take it out it shouldn't exist, and they go holy fuck you're right and do so they were not censored... if they refuse I did not attempt to censor them.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Yoko Taro continues to have awesome character designs in his games. I'll definitely be buying whatever game he directs going forward.

AV_Fanz

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
There seemed to be a lot of gamers here who really disliked 2B's clothing styles. Is it better then for the Japanese devs who offered a more Puritanical style to appeal to the Western gamers like the people who complaint here, or not even having a Western release at all?

chogidogs

Oct 25, 2017
He himself did not design Kaine and regardless, Kaine is a really bad example of sexualized female characters when she isn't even female, but intersex.

Can you really expect someone not familiar with Nier to know that? And as a director Yoko Taro approved all designs for his game. I'm not even against his designs. I'm just saying Yoko Taro likes his horny.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017

Fam 2B is nowhere near Quiet Tier, you would have more of a point with A2 being quiet tier

Mailbox

Oct 30, 2017
The achievement to look up 2B's skirt enough times is incredibly degrading.

The game is weirdly tongue and cheek wrt its achievements.
Also, have you tried that acheievment? Its actually surprisingly hard to do it. Like when you pan down, the camera literally moves away from 2b as to obscure your vision. If you try and linger long enough, 2B pushes the camera away. I'm sure that the trophy/achievement is just playing up the joke that people will try to look up her skirt, but that the devs have made it hard to do when she is standing still.

Also, you can buy trophies b/c the game literally doesn't take trophies/achievements seriously.

I mean, i do get what you mean though.

Ahegao

Oct 28, 2017

And yes, I didn't play this game as Drakengard 3 already offended me enough, but I don't see how this excuses the dual standard for pre-release reaction to Nier and other games. Also strange to imagine that people say Yoko Taro is "based" because of his statements.
You should still try Automata. IIRC Yoko Taro was brought very late into the development of D3 so it may not be fully representative of what his vision for the game is.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Not really... Not if they petitioned the government to ban it.... that would be censorship... but no one is doing that....

If someone made something I perceived as say racist and I go to the person and say hey this is racist because xyz could you take it out it shouldn't exist, and they go holy fuck you're right and do so they were not censored... if they refuse I did not attempt to censor them.

Look up what censorship is. Seriously.
You know, in a dictionary or similar, not from what someone is telling you.

OP
OP
Gravity Insanity
Oct 25, 2017
So, I just self-destruct for the first time to see if it kills me but it didn't and her umm...
giphy.gif

Palculator

Oct 24, 2017
Germany
There seemed to be a lot of gamers here who really disliked 2B's clothing styles. Is it better then for the Japanese devs who offered a more Puritanical style to appeal to the Western gamers like the people who complaint here, or not even having a Western release at all?
What's this dichotomy? They ran with what they got and were successful — more so than they expected. Even in the West.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People thinking artists are able to make what they want and not what they're commissioned to make. Companies commission artists to make whatever the director/storymaker/company wants.
Note i'm just putting that statement out there and I feel 2b isnt problematic as the hyperbolic statements that compare her to Quiet.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Look up what censorship is. Seriously.
You know, in a dictionary or similar, not from what someone is telling you.

"the suppression or prohibition of any parts of books, films, news, etc. that are considered obscene, politically unacceptable, or a threat to security."

Responding to criticism is neither suppression nor prohibition.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You should still try Automata. IIRC Yoko Taro was brought very late into the development of D3 so it may not be fully representative of what his vision for the game is.
I know that gameplay-wise I would probably enjoy it, but reading about Drakengard 3 I saw he was the one that asked the writer to pervy the game up and some other stuff I really disliked about that game. Just don't feel like it's worth, specially when I have other games to play.

Mailbox

Oct 30, 2017

Remember when Far Cry 4 was announced and the box art was shown when people were up in arms b/c they though the villain was white and it looked like he was dominating an asian man.

Yeah, i'd say a lot of pre-release criticism that isn't given context and is just assumptive of the public can be taken with a grain of salt...

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Because you don't have to do it if you really want the achievement and if you did it not because of the achievement, then you did it willingly and actually want to look up her skirt.

To be fair, you don't learn about the trophy shop until much later in the game, so as far as the player knows, that's their only option.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
"the suppression or prohibition of any parts of books, films, news, etc. that are considered obscene, politically unacceptable, or a threat to security."

Responding to criticism is neither suppression nor prohibition.

Wow, that's exactly what I said earlier!

Glad that we agree.

FtheQueen

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

You really warped that to fit your narrative, if you changed 1 or 2 words there you've pretty much defined censoring someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.