• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 2, 2017
I'm from beyond the wall in Canada. I spent my summers on a farm deep in the woods. I've come face to face with a bear a few times in my life and I've never been more terrified.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sharks scare the fuck out of me. I've dropped games due to them and it's why I won't ever play Raft.

shem

Oct 25, 2017
In all scenarios assuming killing intent:

On land: Lion or bear depending on the climate/region

In rivers: Hippo

In Ocean: Shark

Assuming killing intent with a hippo is redundant but nevertheless.

RedSonja

Oct 29, 2017
Tarantula hawk moths. Getting eaten by a tiger would be like getting run over with a Rolls Royce. You'd kind of have bragging rights.

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Feb 9, 2018
Humans.

We're the only predator species that's intentionally wiped out other species, either for shits & giggles or because they got in our way or because someone thought (wrongly) that eating certain parts would give them a boner. Hell, sometimes we've accidentally wiped out entire species. Whoops. To the rest of the Animal Kingdom, we may as well be an eldritch abomination.

Imagine how pants-shitting terrifying we would be to them if they were truly capable of understanding what we're capable of. Just this totally inscrutable and innumerable horde of hairless apes that can spit death and fire at long range, can outlast and out-think you, can raze entire forests, level entire mountains, and otherwise significantly alter the landscape at will, can change the very composition of the air, and can even intentionally alter the evolution of a species at an insanely fast pace (geologically speaking). They are super-persistent, unquestionably dominant, and can exterminate anything they want on a whim, or even without thinking about it. Yet despite being the deadliest species on Earth, between their acts of wanton destruction, they'll sometimes show acts of kindness and nurturing to other species just because they feel like it.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
It's not that. It's the idea the cat possibly knew it was being followed and circled around. That's much more concerning than something you might just stumble upon and hope you don't make it angry.
True.

Don't know the story though, but could it be that he unknowingly passed the jaguar, and that the jaguar heard him pass and came to look. When I visited the Amazon in Peru the guide stressed how curious jaguars are and that they'll come and have a look when they hear humans. (Didn't see one myself though, sadly. Did see a couple of snakes the guide offhandedly remarked that if we got bitten we would never get help in time, lol. But I was most afraid of the bullet ants, because fuck those)

Antagon

Nov 4, 2017
For the people saying bears: they don't agree with you.

543143681_1b31c0be46_o.jpg

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Humans are the scariest predator on Earth, and nothing is even in the remote ballpark. And this is true from pretty much ever facet you view the question from. Humans have the means to kill pretty much anything they feel like killing, whenever they feel like doing it. They can render entire species extinct, and think little of doing so. And in terms of raw brutality, not even housecats are more terrifying than humans in their capacity to torture their victims.

Most answers in this thread are of the form "what would scare a human, if a human met it in the wild?"
Who cares?
Here's a better question: what non-human animal isn't completely and utterly terrified of humans? Seemingly pretty much just the ones that exist on a scale where they don't deal very directly with humans, like tardigrades. Even most critters that are capable of enjoying modest symbiotic relationships with humans, like house-dwelling spiders, are routinely slaughtered by humans out of spite.

Folks in this thread have brought up numerous animals which are capable of scaring humans, and even killing them. But most of the time, these animals also cower in fear from those strange bipedal creatures which annihilate everything in their wake. It is rarely outside of desperation - protecting their young, or starvation, or accident - that these animals choose to engage humans directly. Meanwhile, humans regularly stomp all over these animals' territory with confidence without a second thought. It's very obvious that these animals are usually more afraid of humans than the other way around!

Everyone knows this, do you think you really are the only person to have thought of this? Do you really think a species capable of leaving their planet for space, creating nuclear weapons, and destroying the planet doesn't know this?

Clearly this is a simple off topic question about what animal people would find scary. Let people have their fun.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
Not a predator but I'd probably take my chances vs a big cat then a rampaging elephant

Perzeval

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Humans. Humans are the scariest predators. We don't even need to talk about what fucked up things humans do. Also, humans kill all life on earth, and for the most part, eat. So yeah. That's your predator.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
Sydney Funnel Web spiders. Stuff of nightmares.

It's pretty terrifying to think about encountering a Saltwater Croc of Great White Shark in the wild too

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
I genuinely think bears are the most frightening animals you can encounter. Walk in the wrong place and "threaten" some Cubs and you are going to have to deal with a walking tank that can climb trees, swim, run faster than you, and cut you in fucking half with one swipe.

Fortunately bears are scared of downslopes, if you are lucky to be near one

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
Saltwater crocodiles are terrifying. All the potato cam footage of them on youtube is so fascinating. Even in captivity they can grow to immense size. And their range stretches from northern Australia all the way up to India. The crocs in the Philippines and in parts of India can get especially huge.

Giant croc in captivity

Croc catches shark

Some comments say these are two crocs, but I still think this is just one large one

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hippos are the most dangerous animals imo, they attack you because they can and they'll fucking rip you to shreds in seconds.

In a vacuum I'd say an angry afican elephant has no match, but yeah, he has to be angry.

Also don't understimate a pack of hyenas. The fuckers are fierce and ruthless and they don't live only on carrion

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Grizzly bears are certainly up there, but yeah the big cats will fuck your day up just as easily.

Sharks, gators, orcas, all certainly frightening, but easy enough to avoid; just stay the fuck out of the water (or don't get close to the water's edge, in the case of gators).

game-biz

Oct 25, 2017
Human's superior intelligence and incredibly skilled team work make them an unstoppable force. We are truly fascinating creatures.

Oct 25, 2017
i fucking love this channel, i watch it every day, and i've seen these cats do some extremely terrifying shit

couple months ago i saw them snatch a warthog as he was coming over a hill or something. the sounds that warthog made will be with me forever

Same, channel is so good.

God that clip, one thing so brutal about Lions and Leopards is the slow suffocation, but at least with leopards you aren't getting eaten alive during the process,

I'd rather be eaten by Wild Dogs.

Watevaman

Oct 30, 2017
I think bears (specifically brown/grizzly) are on the top of my list of things I may actually encounter one day that actually scare me. I've been face to face with black bears and while scary, they didn't do much to me in terms of fear. A 600+ pound animal running at you full speed with its teeth and claws, yeah, that'd make me poop myself.

Big cats are definitely up there in terms of fear, but I never expect to come across one. Same with sharks, I don't swim where the bigger sharks are known to be.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

What's interesting is it isn't as much about the size of the predator or the strength of their bite or size of their claws. Its the fact their mouths are bacterial cesspools that they're totally immune to but nothing else is. Even a small bite that does little major damage will kill most things in a few days time from the infection that results. The whole time the Komodo Dragon is just hanging back waiting for the bacteria to do its job.

blainethemono

Oct 27, 2017
Same, channel is so good.

God that clip, one thing so brutal about Lions and Leopards is the slow suffocation, but at least with leopards you aren't getting eaten alive during the process,

I'd rather be eaten by Wild Dogs.

i've been putting it on as background noise while i play Hades recently. did something happen with James? i remember he said he was gonna leave, he had a tearful goodbye and everything, but then he just kept showing up. him and Trishala are the best

also, on the opposite side of this, one of the recent episodes had a cheetah cub being taken down by a crocodile while its mother watched. i screamed when this happened

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I accept that Hippos are brutal, but I'm still nowhere near as scared of them as I am sharks.

giphy-2.gif

It has nothing to do with their temperament, and everything to do with how these ugly teeth could be the last thing I'd see.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
i've been putting it on as background noise while i play Hades recently. did something happen with James? i remember he said he was gonna leave, he had a tearful goodbye and everything, but then he just kept showing up. him and Trishala are the best

also, on the opposite side of this, one of the recent episodes had a cheetah cub being taken down by a crocodile while its mother watched. i screamed when this happened

Jesus Christ nature can be brutal.

Antagon

Nov 4, 2017
The correct answer. These fuckers are TERRIFYING.

They seem to be, but reality is that they're generally pretty chill. I've taken pictures with them on Komodo itself where I was within a few feet. Definitely wouldn't do that with a tiger.

Of course, there are rangers with you, but reality is that they're only armed with a stick as the Komodo Dragons are endangered. Supposedly hitting them on the nose scares them off. Plus they don't really kill their prey directly, but simply bite and then wait for the prey to succumb to bacteria that 's in their saliva. This can take a few days and can be treated pretty well.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
They seem to be, but reality is that they're generally pretty chill. I've taken pictures with them on Komodo itself where I was within a few feet. Definitely wouldn't do that with a tiger.

Of course, there are rangers with you, but reality is that they're only armed with a stick as the Komodo Dragons are endangered. Supposedly hitting them on the nose scares them off. Plus they don't really kill their prey directly, but simply bite and then wait for the prey to succumb to bacteria that 's in their saliva. This can take a few days and can be treated pretty well.

I love komodo dragons, but them shits is damn right scary.