litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's more interesting to see which movies pull of the reverse of this.

Summer of 84 is a predictable, boring slog throughout that was seemingly only created to pander to the Stranger Things and It crowd, but then out of nowhere it has a really inventive third act with non-traditional ending which made me wish the rest of the movie was even half as interesting.
I think Mother! would fall in this category.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Logan

The reveal that the villain was younger Wolverine was too much, and taking for granted that the comic thing was real without any sort of explanation as to how was lazy.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Like the literal guy screaming to the audience "They Say you have VISIONS, that your life flashes before your eyes that ALL YOUR DREAMS ... come true"

k6DukZU.png
Probably up there with The Sopranos ending for obviousness.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
AI should have ended at the bottom of the ocean. Still bothers me. The ending ruined that movie for me.

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
Logan

The reveal that the villain was younger Wolverine was too much, and taking for granted that the comic thing was real without any sort of explanation as to how was lazy.

If X-23 is a concept you can accept, I don't understand how X-24 is anymore outlandish. His appearance was nicely foreshadowed and set-up throughout the movie and even though I was surprised when he showed up, it made sense and it didn't feel shoehorned in at all. I love the fact that he's linked to both Logan and Laura on a genetic level (all three being different versions of the same person) and what he represents.

The second point I don't understand. All we need to know is that "Eden" is past the border of Canada, a save haven for mutants. What's there isn't relevant to the story and is better left to the imagination.

Crumb

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Minority Report's Brazil ending was great. The whole movie kicks ass, one of Tom Cruise's best.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Everything after Anderton inadvertently murders Leo Crowe is so fucking bad. Like, just the absolute worst Spielberg tendencies wrapped up neatly in one final act that feels so wrong for a movie of this type. Anderton proves that the system doesn't work ... there is a 'minority report', human have free will and can choose. Their actions aren't predetermined. Anderton and his wife make amends and she ends up pregnant. The Precogs live out their days peacefully on a little house on a prairie. What a false and pat piece of shit ending
You didn't even mention the whole part about his eyes still being able to access secure areas, even though he's a criminal on the run. He gets his eyes replaced because if they get scanned, the police will know! You know, except if they're used AT the police station. And even after he used that access once to kidnap one of the most important people in the world, they still work (his wife uses them later in the movie). Nope, no need to recind access, or at the very least flag his fucking eyes.

Brought this up (at length) in the latest plot hole thread. It's technically not a plot hole, just really really dumb.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
Some good ones here. With Sunshine and Minority Report, I still ended up really liking those movies despite the inferior final acts, which is a testament to how good the rest of those movies were.

I'll throw out Layer Cake. While I didn't mind the final act overall, I hated the last scene of the film. Still absolutely adore the movie as a whole.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
Yep.

Feels like it happens a fair bit in horror.

Very much agreed. My theory is that great horror is based around not showing and not telling, and resolving the plot requires both. Many, many horror flicks are disappointing for this exact reason. Either you get an unsatisfying, WTF ending, or it all ends just a little too neatly and undoes the magic of the first 2/3rds.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
If X-23 is a concept you can accept, I don't understand how X-24 is anymore outlandish. His appearance was nicely foreshadowed and set-up throughout the movie and even though I was surprised when he showed up, it made sense and it didn't feel shoehorned in at all. I love the fact that he's linked to both Logan and Laura on a genetic level (all three being different versions of the same person) and what he represents.
It's just cheesy as all hell and an incredibly transparent way to put some wolverine on wolverine action into the movie.

The second point I don't understand. All we need to know is that "Eden" is past the border of Canada, a save haven for mutants. What's there isn't relevant to the story and is better left to the imagination.
That's like the antithesis of world building. Pass.

Bor Gullet

Oct 27, 2017
It's just cheesy as all hell and an incredibly transparent way to put some wolverine on wolverine action into the movie.

You really thought the sequence where X-24 first shows up at the farmhouse is cheesy? I don't know what to say to that. Perhaps he isn't as effective in his second appearance at the end, but his first appearance was horrifying, especially in regards to Xavier's death.

That's like the antithesis of world building. Pass

I like the ambiguity. Logan guaranteed them a future, but he, nor we, will ever know what that future entails. It is uncertain but certainly there. That will have to be enough. The young inherit the earth, the old men die and pass the torch.

It also reminds me of classic westerns, noirs, and gritty crime films where the protagonist dies and that's all they wrote. Movies like Bonnie & Clyde, Get Carter, Out of the Past, and The Wild Bunch. There is nothing left to say.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World starts off so promising then takes a hard swerve right into predictable territory towards the end.