• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Was looking at clips from the Shin Godzilla movie where it's destroying Tokyo and seems unstoppable and it got me wondering if there's any piece if fiction where some antagonistic force like this exists but it's unable to be stopped for whatever reason and people just have to keep living nomadically and fleeing from it. It would be particularly cool if it was something as slow moving as Godzilla but that's maybe asking too much.

In some ways I guess Snowpiercer is maybe adjacent to this, but anything else?

Also this might happen in some scifi works but maybe asking about something more local. Warp driving away from the zerg or whatever is cheating.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I pretty sure the Legendary Godzilla films also have that sorta plot considering significant sections of the states were deemed uninhabitable

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Walking Dead for an obvious one. Honestly it seems like there are a lot.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The Crystalline Entity in Star Trek

(Missed the last bit but I think it still counts)

bwahhhhh

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
it was also basically a kaiju, but Sin from FFX was kinda like this. just an accepted fact of life, like a natural disaster the people had to weather.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'm remembering wrong but the seventh Harry Potter book kinda bored me because it was about the three kids camping since they couldn't be at Hogwarts, fighting and then having to relocate because of Voldemort's followers.

It happens several times, but again, I might be mistaken, I barely remember shit from that book.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
it was also basically a kaiju, but Sin from FFX was kinda like this. just an accepted fact of life, like a natural disaster the people had to weather.
Yeah that's kind of one. I guess minus the nomadic part since people just build huge places like Luca and hope it doesn't get destroyed or something lol.

StraySheep

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 26, 2017
In addition to the ones already listed, these aren't great examples because I don't think its really shown but one would assume thats what they are doing in Annihilation and Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey as the mysterious death zone grows on Earth.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
The Pale in Disco Elysium is a sort of void zone that keeps expanding and reducing the livable area on the planet

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
The Everstorm from The Stormliggt Archives is kinda like this. Most cities/ villages become uninhabital because of it.

NeoGold123

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I kindof don't remember it well, but isn't that the plot of Shyamalan's The Happening? They just run from the invisible force they can't stop cause it's plant spores on the wind or something?

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
The Highlanders cartoon

isvzwzB.png

-edit, oh nevermind, that's just the protagonist's group, not everyone.

Last edited:

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Invasion of the Body Snatchers. They never manage to get much of a plan together beyond run, hide, don't fall asleep. I think the 70s remake is still one of the scariest movies out there largely because their situation is so hopeless.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
I don't have any good suggestions, but back when I started watching Attack on Titan I was always hoping that it would be an example of this. Just a constant onslaught of fucked up giants that nobody could really deal with. I always knew it wasn't going to be like that, but I hoped it would, you know? Those first three or so episodes are the best of the series, to me, just because of the sheer terror of it. The helplessness.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers. They never manage to get much of a plan together beyond run, hide, don't fall asleep. I think the 70s remake is still one of the scariest movies out there largely because their situation is so hopeless.
That ending could so easily have seemed silly with different actors and/or direction, but it turned out so well. Memorable for the right reasons.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
The Freeza saga is my first thought, but I guess that's stealth and you're looking for moving on a permanent basis.

RefreshZ

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't this kinda what happened in TLJ?

UnderstatedWellwornFrilledlizard-max-1mb.gif

Only comically slowly and Finn's fetch quest thrown in to add some "spice"?

Kalte

Nov 25, 2017
Wheel of Time. This is exactly what sets the plot in motion.
Main characters cannot hide, cannot escape and must stay on the run at least throughout first few books.

Go read it, it has always be and still is utterly fantastic

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It Stains the Sands Red is based on a similar premise, I suppose. Albeit on a smaller scale

Koyaannis

May 5, 2021
It Follows is the right answer.

We can add Cloverfield to the list, i guess !

And, for video games, it's the exact pitch of The Eternal Cylinder

www.youtube.com

The Eternal Cylinder - Announcement Trailer

The Eternal Cylinder is an ambitious take on open-world survival adventure games is expected to release in 2020 on gaming consoles and will be available for ...

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
Technically speaking, in Romero zombies movies, you cant flee from the virus since the instant you die you turn into one of them. Not only that but in land of the dead the zombies have become smart enough that you cant really hide from them anymore.

Oct 29, 2017
There was an asimov short that followed this premise; I can't remember the name though. Not quite a twist ending, but definitely unexpected.