is leon out of line?

• Leon did nothing wrong. He was well within his right in the early game

• I have a problem with Leon doing what he does early game

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I don't See the issue. He is an American cop, how else do you expect him to act, OP? Leon is just following his US "deescalation by bullet to the head " training.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Legally the man attacking Leon didn't have the conditions fulfilled for "self-defense" even with Leon trespassing under Spain's laws. However, under the same law, Leon has the right to defend himself.

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
Is this even canon? I mean can't you get through that section without dirtying your hands?

My Leon runs and loots until it's over. Food for thought you monsters

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
the first person he sees tries to kill him
the same person comes back to life with a broken neck and tentacles, showing that even at this stage in the game they're already very mutated
then they're burning people alive and attacking Leon with pitchforks and chainsaws

This is after he's been through the events of Racoon City. Im surprised he didn't keep shooting after they all decided it was time to go and play Bingo.

CamberGreber

Banned
Dec 27, 2019
They where litterally killing and burning innocent people. He saw the cop being set on fire for heavens sakes?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong... He arrives to the location with two cops, right? Isn't it likely they informed the authorities in general, even maybe the government that they would be in the area?

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Only part that felt like it was weird was sneaking to the left in the village and neck-stabbing the old woman holding a pitchfork right away. While it's true that Leon just witnessed a cop get strung up and incinerated, he had no cause to believe the random old lady could A: be guilty in it, or B: attempt to lethally attack him when spotted, or C: Be infected by the parasite. But from our omniscient view as players, we know full well killing that old lady is justified because she's a spooky zombie monster. So that makes it okay.
Reminds me of this:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8yzhumtZ4w

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong... He arrives to the location with two cops, right? Isn't it likely they informed the authorities in general, even maybe the government that they would be in the area?
Aside from Los Illuminados, are there any government or authorities that administer El Pueblo? Are they actually communicating with the government?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Even then, not really his jurisdiction is it? Shit wouldn't fly in the real world, crazy villagers or not.

Usually yeah. In a world where a zombie outbreak fucked up a whole city and the guy fought Mr. X and William Birkin, now being employed to rescue the presidents daughter (lol) I think there's some leeway for suspending disbelief.

Regarding things that make questionable sense in RE4 though, I think they're going to go above and beyond that again.

Last edited:

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to know if Salazar pulled the proper building permits for his giant robot, underground rollercoaster and dragon statue lava room.

Oct 25, 2017
Yea but why was he even in the guy's home?

The process should've went like this:

1. He knocks
  2. He gets no answer
  3. He calls out is anyone home.
  4. He gets no answer.
  5. He moves on (maybe to the next home)
  6. The end.
That's literally it. Instead he ENTERED THE HOME.
In the remake he only shoots after finding the missing cops bloodstained badge. He only really starts blasting when the other cop is burned at the stake

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Yeah those poor innocent people whose privacy is being infringed on. Maybe Leon should have asked nicely and these mutated parasite zombie monsters wouldn't need to get shot in the face. Yup.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah those poor innocent people whose privacy is being infringed on. Maybe Leon should have asked nicely and these mutated parasite zombie monsters wouldn't need to get shot in the face. Yup.

"sir, please calm yourself and lets talk this out"
POxYqaZ.jpg

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Just to note even before he enters the village proper to see them burning the policeman alive there's a massive gate with 4 heads on spikes and 1 even falls off when you open it. Something might tell him these villagers might be kinda bad.

Kahhhhyle

Jun 8, 2021
I mean he did find the body of the local cop before he started shooting. And in the demo he he even kicked the guy away revealing he's a Las plagas monster first. And after Raccoon City he's probably not going to hesitate

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
In the original, he presents a photo of a missing girl and is met with an unprompted axe being swung at his face.

He then leaves the home with several men actively trying to kill him, and the car with two cops driven off the road.

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
your applying logic to a series that never had any

remember when the chief of police constructed riddles and puzzles where secret chambers could only be unlocked by special keys in a police station?

Jazar

Oct 25, 2017
South Florida
My girlfriend was watching me play right as I entered the town. I just snuck around the side, came up behind an old lady innocently raking and silently stabbed her in the throat. She was like, "what the hell that lady was minding her own business doing her chores!" I felt bad but you know, I gotta cleanse the town.

Rippa

Feb 15, 2018
No issues personally. I'm incapable of feeling empathy towards video game characters in general, especially in games like RE4 where I go in knowing that they're all intended enemies.

This ^

It's a video game, you might be overthinking this a bit too much.

Also this ^

Justice for the police murdering, broken neck, tentacle-bearing innocents! Justice!

😂🤣

Don't you assume control of Leon? If it's a question for you, why even raise the gun and pull the trigger? Why not go through the game on the defensive? Knife parry only play through?

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
US government agents don't care about stuff like laws, especially when those laws weren't even written in the US

That said, fuck them Spaniard villagers, kill em all and their cows and chickens, I say

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Damn yeah, the villagers are just trying to lawfully arrest him for trespassing and he shoots them all.

Really casts some moral grayness on the already ambitious plot of RE4.

Oct 27, 2017
Walking round those woods with that creepy music playing? Not surprised he kills everyone. Leon also never uses the toilet in the game and not once does he get his sleeve caught on a door handle.

Risev

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah at least they fixed this in the remake lmao.
It's worse in the remake, no?
In the original, the cops drop Leon off, asking him to go to the house and investigate while mocking him. When Leon finds the house, the door is already open so Leon technically doesn't break in. He also never snoops around, immediately finding the owner to ask him for info before turning around to leave, when he is suddenly attacked. After being forced to kill the villager, other villagers ram the police car with a truck, cutting off his only espace route, and he's forced to keep moving forward.

In the remake, Leon breaks into a closed house, snoops around investigating, and he always had the option of turning back to the vehicle before breaking into the first house.

Oct 27, 2017
Except that's not what I'm saying

Based off of the information he could have had at that point, there was no reason for him to even enter the home and kill someone. It should have never happened. Period. That's literally it. Like... that's the argument. No one has yet given a counter argument to this. Because you can't. It's not possible. There's no "philosophy" involved here. Just a normal, balanced human right to privacy in the home and not getting killed.

If I *think* something is up with you or you're acting weird, that's MY problem. You're allowed to be weird. That shouldn't give me access to your home at all.

Everyone should understand this.

Are you really asking why didn't he strictly follow police procedures in a Resident Evil game?!

Yeah, he was obviously working with Spanish authorities and probably given jurisdiction while following up a lead on the president's missing daughter.

Even then, not really his jurisdiction is it? Shit wouldn't fly in the real world, crazy villagers or not.

You know what else wouldn't fly in the real world? Zombie parasites that explode giant squishy tentacles out of people's heads.

It's a video game, you might be overthinking this a bit too much.

Yeah, this. You could probably question the events of any videogame that happen in a 'real-world' setting with this mindset.

Oct 27, 2017
It's worse in the remake, no?
In the original, the cops drop Leon off, asking him to go to the house and investigate while mocking him. When Leon finds the house, the door is already open so Leon technically doesn't break in. He also never snoops around, immediately finding the owner to ask him for info before turning around to leave, when he is suddenly attacked. After being forced to kill the villager, other villagers ram the police car with a truck, cutting off his only espace route, and he's forced to keep moving forward.

In the remake, Leon breaks into a closed house, snoops around investigating, and he always had the option of turning back to the vehicle before breaking into the first house.

In the remake the two Spanish cops have gone ahead and Leon is wondering what's taking them so long, at which point he goes to investigate.