JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
As someone who only admired the speed running community from afar, I was definitely a little curious about the keyboard use but I suppose it's more of a matter of whether or not the input method is allowing moves that the original game didn't (which this isn't) and whether the community decides that this is an acceptable alternative to original hardware (which it seems they have.)

Getting mere frames away from the TAS time is just nuts. This is a ridiculous accomplishment and almost certainly the ceiling.

OP
OP
JayCB64

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
xt7uImp.png

giphy.gif

Svejk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Speedrun folks blow my mind... that's awesome.

In the words of the Sega Rally announcer: "Remember, records are made to be broken"

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe someone's able to play on the same level as tasbot, that's insane

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Incredible. So, based on my very limited understanding, one of the few ways to improve the run would be to do that risky backwards momentum jump at the start of 8-4, right? I didn't see him perform that, but it was mentioned in the video breaking down some of the speed run strategies.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
As someone who only admired the speed running community from afar, I was definitely a little curious about the keyboard use but I suppose it's more of a matter of whether or not the input method is allowing moves that the original game didn't (which this isn't) and whether the community decides that this is an acceptable alternative to original hardware (which it seems they have.)

Getting mere frames away from the TAS time is just nuts. This is a ridiculous accomplishment and almost certainly the ceiling.
I imagine the Donkey Kong controversy is partly to explain. Cause the high score world records have separate tables for emulators and original hardware.

Speed runners often use emulators for various reasons, convenience is a big one as it's easier to set up OBS with them, and easier to setup an auto splitter with them. Splits aren't a thing in high score tables, so there isn't the same draw from both streamers and viewers to get that helpful data on screen during stream. If you're manually having to hit a button to record splits, you wouldn't be able to know while watching a stream for a game like this that deals in *frames* if it's really on world record pace or not.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
Nah it's all the same -you're required to submit a full log of your key inputs that the emulator records, so if you tried doing something that an NES controller wouldn't allow then they'd know and disqualify you.

But the nature of a keyboard with separate, click keys means that there's got to be some things that are way easier to do on one compared to a NES controller though? Even if it's theoretically possible I find it hard to imagine someone having such precise control with a mushy D-pad.

Not to discount the run of course, but I'm wondering how much consideration is put into the physical properties of input devices used for runs when making the rules. It seems like when you get down to the point where world record runs only have a few frames between them, even stuff like the distance buttons have to travel to be recognised as pressed, how clicky they are, and length of finger travel could make all the difference.