• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't the crux of it basically that most of the time when users have been able to carry content across generations it's been on physical rather than digital?

Digital console purchases have mostly in the past not carried over by comparison
Digital only really got popular on consoles towards the end of last gen and that doesn't compare to how big it is now, so it's never really been much of a factor.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I've been all digital on all three consoles this gen, no looking back. Discs seem archaic.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
It must be hugely dependant on region too. In Australia there is exceptionally low incentive to go all digital format myriad of reasons.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not only are physical games by in large cheaper than digital, but you can lend, borrow, trade and sell them too.

As a recent example, I bought a physical copy of Kingdom Hearts 3 for £36 and traded it in (inc free postage return) at CEX two weeks later for £36 (they transferred the money direct to my account). So ultimately I paid a grand total of nothing for it, and used the money to buy another game.
And if you ever want to replay KH3? Now you have to hunt it down like a caveman while at the most I just download it if its not already on my hard drive. You can also let your friends "borrow" your digital games. Just sign into their system and download the game and unlike "physical games" the people you let borrow it cant forget to give it back or steal it. The only advantage of physical games is being able to return a game you beat but I never really did that after the beginning of last gen. Your house is probably cluttered with game cases
hhh4.png

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
Physical copy of game within release month is usually 50% cheaper than a digital.

I'll go with whatever comes cheapest really. Most of the games are physical since I buy after it's gone on a crazy good sale.

Taurus

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
to be fair, data centers are some of the highest users of energy out there right now. even your digital downloads/streams have a carbon footprint.
True, but increased energy usage versus plastic trash filling rivers and oceans seems lesser evil to me. Solar and fission energy will solve increased energy usage problems in the future. But all unnecessary plastic usage needs to seriously go away for good.

Cavsfan767

Alt-Account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
Its just people getting lazier. Is it that hard to get up and change discs...Jesus. Its sad

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
It's entertaining watching console gamers cling to physical media. The writing is on the digital wall and has been for years.

Taurus

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
Its just people getting lazier. Is it that hard to get up and change discs...Jesus. Its sad
How about giving up on plastic shit? Yeah, environmental stuff is important for some us. I'm voting on all digital future as hard as I can. Music and movies are already there, it's just a matter of time for games.

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
I switched to all digital this generation and will never regret. I don't have physical space anymore for discs and like the convenience of direct access to everything. Also Xbox makes my games easily accessible anywhere if I carry my HDD with me or not.

LifeLike

Oct 31, 2017
I buy Physical at 90$ including taxes, platinum the game, resell it at 60$ and never play the game again.
I don't play multiplayer game so I guess the physical model suits me very well.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I'm already all digital on PC so honestly as long as they have large storage options I wouldn't mind eventually just going all digital for everything.

Raider34

Banned
May 8, 2018
United States
Coming from steam digital on Xbox was a no brainer for me I like to do jack ass things like buy a 8 tb drive just to see how many games I can fit on there so far I got 278 digital games downloaded including the 1tb Xbox one x drive I got damn near all of Gamepass and most of EA Access and still got 4.7 TB's left

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao why should i pay $30 more on new game when i can just buy physical and have the ability to resell? Some of you hate options

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And if you ever want to replay KH3? Now you have to hunt it down like a caveman while at the most I just download it if its not already on my hard drive. You can also let your friends "borrow" your digital games. Just sign into their system and download the game and unlike "physical games" the people you let borrow it cant forget to give it back or steal it. The only advantage of physical games is being able to return a game you beat but I never really did that after the beginning of last gen. Your house is probably cluttered with game cases

If I ever want to replay it at a later time I can go online to any etailer and just buy it at a massively discounted price with next day free shipping. But I generally tend to keep the games I think I'll replay more often. There's still a cost saving as physical copies are usually a fair amount cheaper than digital copies in the first place (on average £35-£40 vs £50-£55).

And I don't know what sort of friends or family you have, but I've never had any game stolen from any of them, and unlike with downloads which take several hours to download on my connection, with disc versions I'm usually ready to play in a matter of minutes (though Xbox One installs take ages), hence sometimes I'll delete games from my HDD to make space, mostly because I have the disc version and know the install won't be as long as the download if or when I need to re-install in future.

I also don't look at my video game and Blu Ray shelf as clutter, rather an awesome looking tidy collection of actual tactile products.

MattHeus

Mar 2, 2019
It must be hugely dependant on region too. In Australia there is exceptionally low incentive to go all digital format myriad of reasons.

There is a bit of culture too, I feel like americans have more of "collectors culture". Maybe it has something to do with housing...

Last edited:

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If I ever want to replay it at a later time I can go online to any etailer and just buy it at a massively discounted price with next day free shipping. But I generally tend to keep the games I think I'll replay more often. There's still a cost saving as physical copies are usually a fair amount cheaper than digital copies in the first place (on average £35-£40 vs £50-£55).

And I don't know what sort of friends or family you have, but I've never had any game stolen from any of them, and unlike with downloads which take several hours to download on my connection, with disc versions I'm usually ready to play in a matter of minutes, hence sometimes I'll delete games from my HDD to make space, mostly because I have the disc version and know the install won't be as long as the download when I need to re-install in future.

I also don't look at my video game and Blu Ray shelf as clutter, rather an awesome looking tidy collection of actual tactile products.
Is all of your music tactile as well?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is all of your music tactile as well?

Nope, I use mostly Spotify and purchased Digital, but I get through orders of magnitude more music than I do video games (thousands of songs a year vs only 10-20 or so games a year), and the file sizes are orders of magnitude different too, which affects both storage and download time.

TheLastOne

Oct 25, 2017
I am 100% physical for the resales. I've saved a TON of money over the years by selling or trading my old games.

Digital doesn't even have a price advantage. In fact, in many cases, digital has a price disadvantage as retailers offer pre-order discounts here that are pretty aggressive.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Kind of is an inconvenience. It's kind of a leap that gaming needs to take in the same way most computer did. I haven't been physical for PC gaming in over 10 years. They're not going to completely do away with physical because a lot of emerging markets don't have the infrastructure or costs to go fully digital but it would be a great option to not have it for users who do have better infrastructure. Physical games are about as expensive as digital where I live, there's very little resell value due to location and most of all my PS4 drive is acting up constantly ejecting the disk so the 2-3 games I bought in a bundle at launch which were physical don't work properly. Meanwhile my digital games have absolutely no issues so it's not like physical is without downsides. My internet isn't that great. It takes around 12 hrs to download a 50GB game but with pre-loading options, standby downloads,it helps alleviate the problem of waiting. Most games are becoming service/online/F2P games (literally the largest games on any platform) and digital purchases have accelerated tremendously this generation on consoles so it's not a minority as people might think even on consoles.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
the internet infrastructure isn't there yet to go all-digital for a lot of people so an all-digital future isn't that close (though not as far away as the all-streaming future)

Oct 27, 2017
Until I can rent physical non-streaming games, or until I can sell them back when I'm done with them, I'm going to stick with mostly physical.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I'm stoked to not have to drop another $500 on a new Xbox to play their next gen games. I'm assuming my One X will be able to stream their next gen titles just fine.

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
The problem I have with a digital-only console is that you take a one-time discount to forgo many discounts over the long term. It simply does not seem logical to save $50-100 now to permanently lock myself out of the option for physical media, twice as much since you give up movies as well.

I could only see this being a viable option (at least as long as physical media is still popular), is to first offer a much larger hard drive, and maybe even some sort of store discount to owners of that console.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
I am 100% physical for the resales. I've saved a TON of money over the years by selling or trading my old games.

Digital doesn't even have a price advantage. In fact, in many cases, digital has a price disadvantage as retailers offer pre-order discounts here that are pretty aggressive.

I don't know why people don't factor the variable pricing of digital store currency cards. I recently bought a ton of Xbox store credit for 20% off. That has allowed for some great deals when combined with sales.

It is quite possible to save with digital games, once you know how to do it.

Falcs

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Here's why people are still hanging on dearly to physical discs for games: with books and music I've gone full digital. I know that in the next iOS update I'll still be able to stream my library. I know if I get a new kindle I'm confident my existing library I've bought will carry over. With games every single gen people who bought digital had to rebuy those games to play on the new console. I don't want to do that. I want promised ongoing support of backwards compatibility with digital games I own. Nintendo Online is a good step in the right direction if their next console uses that existing library. I'm still just too spooked about having libraries split up between consoles and no benefit like I get with cheaper prices buying digital.

Spot on. This is probably the main reason why I won't go digital. I'd also be nervous of your old libraries becoming unavailable in the future. I can still play retro games on my retro consoles today because they are physical and I control them fully. But if I go digital only today, will Sony still allow me access to my PS4 library when they are up to PS8 or PS9?

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't you say back on the old place that Halo 3 was a nightmare with your DVD drive held together by an elastic band of some description. Wait, it was. And there were many nights of team battle you missed out on back then :(

If only digital was a thing back then

Halo 3 was the first time it had issues, but Halo 4 was the one that I couldn't play because of consistent problems. Optical drives should be for 4K Blu-ray and nothing else imo, too many moving parts.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
Spot on. This is probably the main reason why I won't go digital. I'd also be nervous of your old libraries becoming unavailable in the future. I can still play retro games on my retro consoles today because they are physical and I control them fully. But if I go digital only today, will Sony still allow me access to my PS4 library when they are up to PS8 or PS9?

Disc rot will most likely prevent you from playing your PS4 discs in the 25 - 30 years your are positing in this example.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
I finally transitioned to fully digital on the Xbox side of the house. It just felt ultimately... weird... to keep buying something that was essentially in Install-Disc in 2019. Getting ready to move to all Digital on PS4 as well.
In the end, the one that's still a hold out is the Switch due to those carts actually running the game, not just installing them. That and the cases are aesthetically pleasing as hell.

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
Almost 100% physical here, I only buy digital if there is a significant sale (50% upwards) or its a digital release only.

I like to keep the flexibility of selling the game whenever I want to.

And in most cases, I am actually paying lesser for a physical disc compared to a digital version, usually its <$5-10 cheaper for day 1 releases if I preorder early. Its not a big amount but it adds up especially if you buy tons of games.

If digital games were cheaper than physical, say maybe 20-30%, maybe I'll bite. But until then, no thanks.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
Almost 100% physical here, I only buy digital if there is a significant sale (50% upwards) or its a digital release only.

I like to keep the flexibility of selling the game whenever I want to.

And in most cases, I am actually paying lesser for a physical disc compared to a digital version, usually its <$5-10 cheaper for day 1 releases if I preorder early. Its not a big amount but it adds up especially if you buy tons of games.

If digital games were cheaper than physical, say maybe 20-30%, maybe I'll bite. But until then, no thanks.

I can get $5 to $10 off a $60 purchase almost anytime, without preordering by buying currency cards on sale.

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
copied from my twitter,
Watching the NFL superbowl game 2020, Halftime commerical comes up, its Halo Inifite, shows awesome level. commercial says, with Xcloud, play that level right now, just hit 'A', *only on Xcloud compatible devices* I can play that level instantly. thats next gen, thats high-tech.

thats where we are headed, its going to be great..

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Nothing wrong with this, as long as they continue to have hardware that allows physical copies to be an option until we've reached the point where they are no longer viable.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
copied from my twitter,
Watching the NFL superbowl game 2020, Halftime commerical comes up, its Halo Inifite, shows awesome level. commercial says, with Xcloud, play that level right now, just hit 'A', *only on Xcloud compatible devices* I can play that level instantly. thats next gen, thats high-tech.

thats where we are headed, its going to be great..
To add to that, I think streaming will bring back demos in the fashion as devs can just have you try one of the better set pieces in their game. To take it further what if the service holders just made a collection of the best levels of all their games and you only played those as a single "experience"... #welcometothefuture

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
I hoarded all my discs for OG Xbox and was handsomely rewarded a decade later.

Yet I still think discs are dinosaurs. I have a bunch of old physical media for PC. Can't use any of it. Not without more work than the games are worth anyway. I don't even own a physical drive if I could.

We never touch the vast majority of the stuff we hang onto, be it games or books or clothes or whatever. And I'm far more likely to replay an old game when it pops up in a humble bundle or a Game pass and I needn't bother locating things. Plus it's a waste of physical resources in production, packaging, shipping, etc. for no point.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
A digital-only future is a question of when, not if. Digital is already so convenient I don't see any problem with this.
Digital only hurts the bottom half of the gaming ecosystem especially if steam like sales aren't a thing on consoles. Digital only is expensive. Like I personally don't care but back in the day physical allowed for resale or buying used which saved me money. Kids and teens can't afford $60 games all the time.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
to be fair, data centers are some of the highest users of energy out there right now. even your digital downloads/streams have a carbon footprint.
When you factor in production, boxing, shipment, retail, recycling if possible, plastic pollution otherwise, the carbon footprint of physical gaming goes way beyond that of digital gaming.

Carpathia

Oct 25, 2017
I big part of how I do gaming this days is selling my games or trading them for others, unless I can do that I'm afraid I won't support a digital only console.