• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you like Mass Effect 3 as the end of the Mass Effect trilogy?

• It's amazing. A worthy finale in all ways that mattered.

Votes: 113 11.0%
  • It's very good, but it does have some notable weak spots.

Votes: 475 46.3%
  • It's good. Just good. Good. What more can I say?

Votes: 203 19.8%
  • It's mediocre in the pure sense of the word. Not great, not terrible.

Votes: 112 10.9%
  • It's bad. Just bad. Bad. That's all I can say.

Votes: 45 4.4%
  • It's very bad, but not without some good moments here and there.

Votes: 39 3.8%
  • It's terrible. In fact I have not yet recovered from it.

Votes: 39 3.8%

• Total voters

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Mass Effect 3 is a very particular game for me.

In 5 minutes it can go from "No way the people that made ME2 made this" to "holy shit, this is as good as Mass Effect gets". And that is not an exaggeration.

If I was to describe Mass Effect 3, it would be like this: It's flawed and broken masterpiece held together by duct tape.

ME3's ending has been the source of much... debate, to put it mildly. It seems to be widely considered to be bad, but after Game of Thrones S8 I had to rethink everything I believed about bad endings. Compared to *that*, ME3's ending is a paradise. And I'm not taking about the quality of the product itself, but rather the reception it had, and how things got better (or not) with time.

What do you think about ME3?

mass-effect-3-covers-go-insanely-hard-v0-sjnyhpwqgw8b1.jpg

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's alright. Wish the ending had been more satisfying considering how high the highs were in the series up to that point.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
The last hour of that game is miserable.

Everything else leading up to it is fantastic.

They do not make good on the promise they made in ME1.

Bish_Bosch

Apr 30, 2018
Too much Kai Leng and not enough cosmic horror. It had some nice character moments and cool DLC but is wildly flawed.

PlatypusDude

Oct 25, 2017
Replaying it for the first time with all the DLCs with the Legendary Collection a few years ago and removed from the initial ending disappointment, I'd put it in the very good tier.

Ending, while improved by the various DLC is now a 4/10 instead of the 1/10 it was at launch, but still a huge drop-off. Plus some other assorted more minor issues I had (single quest hub, Kai Leng, etc.)

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019
It's just Mass Effect 2 part 2, arcadey cover shooter nonsense. But at least it has Citadel, which is the only worthy Mass Effect content after Mass Effect 1.

keyrodi

Feb 19, 2018
After my last replay of the game a few years ago with the collection, the ending is still absolutely terrible. But hell, did I love the rest of it.

The sting of the ending isn't there anymore, just a dull ache, so I was able to truly appreciate the rest of the game and its DLCs. It's still a very flawed game, but its good moments are some of the best in the series.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I think it was pretty good in the end, though they never really paid off the Reapers in a truly satisfactory way. The additional ending DLC helped a lot, but still couldn't fundamentally transform the fact that you were choosing one of four colour-coded endings and as long as you filled up the readiness bar you were good.

In retrospect I kinda feel like Mass Effect 2 was a big waste of time as far as the over-arching trilogy story, fleshing it out, and coming up with something more interesting for the Reapers that could be paid off in the third game.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Playing the Legendary Edition and all the DLC for the 1st time I came away really liking ME3. I felt the war time time atmosphere when visiting the Citadel, there's so much more party banter in ME3, Citadel DLC was picture perfect fanservice, gameplay was at its best, the storylines I really cared about like Tuchanka and the Geth were handled great. So yeah I really like ME3 with all the content, I still can't believe they made a character like Javik DLC.

I never cared all that much for the wider Reaper storyline, I clocked it all the way back when ME1 ended that they'd have a very hard time writing the rest in a way that didn't end in some deus ex machina type nonsense with how overpowered they made the Reapers. It's all just all just an excuse to put together a bunch of great characters in an interesting setting and enjoying the show and ME3 delivered that for me.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
Best DLC (gonna ignore the horrific Javik being locked behind it at launch). The ending fails in so many ways, but the highs of 3 are as high as any in the series. Still love the game as a culmination of the best trilogy in gaming. Multi-player ruled too.

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
Has some incredible highs and some incredible lows. If it was just the base game, id probably look back on it more negatively, but the Citadel DLC was such a love letter to the series that I'm ultimately satisfied and love the game.

Ruu

Oct 28, 2017
I still haven't finished it but I remember really liking what I played. I have a hard time finishing games sometimes so its not the games problem :D

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
It's the great game with a really bad ending. There are certainly other narrative choices and elements before then that you can critique and aren't that great, specifically those around Cerberus, the reduction in dialog options is noticeable, but all that said it has the best combat in the series by a wide margin, the absolute best enemy diversity, and character progression systems. And on the whole it nails the most important narrative beats and conclusions for a number of the most prominent sub plots and characters in the series. It really hits hard and is an emotional roller coaster from start to finish that you really just don't want to see end. What I would give for them to have gotten 6 to 12 months more to work on it and not be rushed to get it released. Thanks a lot EA.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Some of the highest highs in the series with some of the lowest lows. Still a great game overall, and I'm glad they ended the trilogy on a banger with the Citadel DLC

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
Its good. Citadel DLC makes it very good, but it's a good game. I was on BSN when it dropped so I was at ground zero for all of the outrage. I loved the multi-player aspects of it and I've yet to find a game that reaches the same fun.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Has some incredible highs and some incredible lows. If it was just the base game, id probably look back on it more negatively, but the Citadel DLC was such a love letter to the series that I'm ultimately satisfied and love the game.

This is my take as well.

It's actually kind of impressive how some moments are executed so incredibly well, like best in the trilogy... followed up by other stuff that is the worst in the trilogy.

Paragon

May 5, 2018
In terms of the writing, it's a game of peaks and valleys. Individual arcs like the Genophage Arc and the Geth/Quarian arc are among some of BioWare's finest writing, but the main story that ties it all together is incredibly messy and disappointing. The ending obviously gets the bulk of the hatred here and to some extent conceals some of the other flaws throughout the game by being such a lightning rod.

From a gameplay perspective, I think it's pretty clearly the best in the series and it's not even close. Character progression, weapon selection, level design and enemy design all get big leaps from Mass Effect 2, and it makes 3 a real joy to play. Like, it's very telling of just how far ME3 is to play that people were as upset as they were about Legendary Edition not bringing back the Multiplayer Mode, because back when that mode was first confirmed people absolutely despised the idea of multiplayer making its way into Mass Effect.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
I enjoy more than I dislike about it, but it has the lowest lows of the trilogy. Kai Leng is awful and the ending is perhaps the only time I've ever been genuinely annoyed at a story, but with the DLC I came to accept it for what it is, even if there is ultimately so much more they could have done. I loved its wartime atmosphere, it gives the game a unique identity compared to its predecessors. The combat is really good too.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Mass Effect is the Lost of video games.

1 > 3 > 2

Tyranitar

Aug 3, 2023
Fantastic. Still love it. I replay the trilogy annually and they'll be among my summer games along with FF14.

ME3 has the best gameplay of the three, the best voice acting, the best class customizations and usage of powers, and thanks to the DLC it had a great send off. All six classes are strong and they can all be built out in multiple ways. Even the Soldier, which can be built to fire off Adrenaline Boost Flares every 6 seconds and detonating everything in sight or going all in on guns and an armor power to obliterate everything in sight. I love the Sentinel most though. It's so versatile and by mid game you can swap between a power focus or a guns and armor focus depending on the mission.

Yeah the original ending had issues, but it's still one of my favorites ever. I'd only flesh out the endings and dump Kai Leng. He's the one stain on this otherwise incredible title.

Amazing game. I've never cried so hard from a game.

I didn't cry but I'd be lying if I said that final shot after the Citadel mission didn't have me in my feels

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Much closer to what the reviews at the time were (between 89 and 92 Metacritic) than the fan reception.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who only just played it last year, I enjoyed it... mostly. There are obviously some bits that just feel silly like how you can kinda leisurely play the game while the reapers are decimating everything... I absolutely get the point how a number of main characters are reduced to just scene fillers and arent part of your crew, that's definitely lame.
I find the fact that one of the most interesting characters (The prothian) being DLC originally and not in the base game absolutely insane. And... that ending is indeed really fucking dumb. I love how I can take my character through all three games and have this stuff be referenced in all three games, but the game builds up to a big "that was it?" ending...

But its the journey, not the destination. The gameplay is ace, the DLC is great (aside the boss fights), and I just love another slice of intergalactic soap opera.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
It was never bad. People keep focusing on Priority: Earth as if that's the end of the trilogy. The whole game was the end of the trilogy and in that sense it was magnificent. In terms of the ending how so it different from any other title in the trilogy? You make a fake choice that doesn't actually matter. ME1: Udina or Anderson? Only mattered for ME2 but even then not really because ME3 it's Udina anyway. ME2: Destroy or save the collector base? Doesn't matter. TIM gets the human reaper remains and shit anyway in ME3. ME3: Destroy, Control, Synthesis? Doesn't matter, Destroy is obviously canon anyway.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I played it on release and played through again with the LE in 2021.

It's not as bad as I remember (I did not play the extended ending on release, I bailed out after the first playthrough and didn't return even for the DLC I bought) but it's not a good sequel and - outside of the moment to moment gameplay which is fine - it's not very good in general.

The story has some nice highs, particularly Tuchanka where a lot of your choices actually seem to matter and there are multiple interesting outcomes. But it drops the ball in almost every other way, including terribly written villains, almost every other major choice in the previous 2 games having no meaning whatsoever (that rachni queen choice seems laughable in hindsight), awful DLC practices rendering a key character unessential, and the overall narrative of "synths vs organics" being already addressed in Tali and Legion's story only to be completely undone shortly later by an ending that was (apparently) written without the input of the rest of the writing team. The whole run of final mission on earth to the ending was absolutely dreadful.

And then we have the child... something they decided was so pivotal to the story of Mass Effect 3 they pretty much murdered any vague resemblance of role playing in order to tell this story. If you were a renegade Shepard who would practically laugh at death, suddenly this random child dying would completely overwrite your character. Yes, I did do a full "evil" Shepard playthrough in preparation for ME3 and I was pissed lol.

Also, why did they remove the lead composer Jack Wall and his Shepard theme from the soundtrack? That song was used extensively in both the prior games. Instead they replaced him with a film composer who wrote basically 1 song with variations.
Yes there is a slight hint of the theme towards the end but it's not played in full.

Man I feel like I could rant about this game all day.
People starting with the LE have no idea, so many fans had multiple saves ready to go for ME3 to see all the endings were were supposed to get, myself included.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Fantastic. Still love it. I replay the trilogy annually and they'll be among my summer games along with FF14.

ME3 has the best gameplay of the three, the best voice acting, the best class customizations and usage of powers, and thanks to the DLC it had a great send off. All six classes are strong and they can all be built out in multiple ways. Even the Soldier, which can be built to fire off Adrenaline Boost Flares every 6 seconds and detonating everything in sight or going all in on guns and an armor power to obliterate everything in sight. I love the Sentinel most though. It's so versatile and by mid game you can swap between a power focus or a guns and armor focus depending on the mission.

Yeah the original ending had issues, but it's still one of my favorites ever. I'd only flesh out the endings and dump Kai Leng. He's the one stain on this otherwise incredible title.

I didn't cry but I'd be lying if I said that final shot after the Citadel mission didn't have me in my feels

Hell of a ride, Shepard.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Everything past the beam ride is lackluster, but everything leading up to it was great. The stock endings were utter trash and removed any sort of viability for the continuation of the franchise, so I'm glad they wrote themselves out of that hole with the revamped endings.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Never been able to finish a replay. Something about the pacing is way off, like they veered all the way into third person cover shooter and you spend 90% of the time in combat. It's not even a bad shooter, it's just too much.

The story is what it is. I will give them some credit on the character writing, which I think is mostly okay, but they fundamentally did not make good on the promises they made back in 2007. They fucked it.

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's a generally a pretty good game and better than Mass Effect 2 in some ways. It still probably has the worst ending I've ever seen though. I played it at launch and actually felt insulted at that message after the credits telling me to buy DLC. I've never fully played through it again (I always try and do a full trilogy run but run out of steam before finishing ME3) but I did finally see the extended ending when Alex and Vinny played through it on Giantbomb and it was a bit better, but still pretty fucking bad.

edit: oh shit, I forgot about Kai Leng. He was pretty bad too.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely phenomenal game. I loved it. It put a bow on so much shit. The ending didn't really tarnish the game for me too bad, especially after the ending DLC. More like... the community reaction to the ending tarnished it for me. The zeitgeist actively sucked. The entire internet telling you something you were excited for is shit before you can even experience it yourself and form an opinion on it, it turns out, is a real fucking buzz kill.

The content DLC was gravy, and the multiplayer was exceptional. To be honest, Helldivers 2 is the first thing to tap into a similar vibe for me to ME3 Multiplayer.

I played it at launch and actually felt insulted at that message after the credits telling me to buy DLC.
Okay that part was pretty fucking hilariously bad.

Phokal

Oct 25, 2017
WI
It's very good but has some very weak spots beyond just the ending. Weird valleys.

And the entire Found Plans on Mars for a Super Weapon is only satisfying if they carried through on the Indoctrination Theory.
Without I.T., ME2's build up of Harbinger as the main villain (even stated/retconned as the leader of the reapers in the finale of me3) is a pretty big whiff. And, be honest, you know EA wanted to sell the real ending as DLC. And it's actually a clever way to preserve a twist ending if it didn't backfire so spectacularly.

Multiplayer is still great.

ArcticWolf

Nov 29, 2022
The last leg of the game is just flatly bad, not simply the ending but the impetus and motivation, the 'why' & ;how' of it all is agonizingly stupid made worse by resolving the Quarian & Geth war in the same game.

But excusing all that (and other stuff) the biggest fault I can throw at ME3 is that it feels the most 'gamey'. As in it feels the most upfront and aware it's a game and makes little effort to mask that. Mission areas are now even more heavily segregated from the hub area which has now been reduced to one area that will always sell you everything you need.

Often times you move between areas with no transitional moments, areas, or scenes as if the game is terrified the player might become bored if the game has yet to show a set piece or let you put a hole in someone's head.

It does have that fantastic multiplayer and it does have it's moments of good closure like with Mordin but overall if you were to hold me to a rating I would have to admit that on a good day it's a "C grade class" kind of game- it's not BAD but a stupendous letdown and generally kind of average. It's a step down from ME2 for me and I already consider ME2 a step down from ME1.

Nov 8, 2017
I'm voting mediocre but it's actually just highly inconsistent with specific very bad things that drag down the overall product.

Combat is good, some levels are good, some individual questline writing and character moments are good. I do praise it for finally striking a good balance in terms of rpg build complexity and action gameplay (although it's sad we didn't ever get decrypting type stuff to a good place).

The story doesn't just have a bad ending. Although the ending is especially poor, they built up to it by making a series of bad decisions first, some narrative, some structural.

• Cerberus just being controlled by the reapers robs them of anything interesting, narratively.
  • Kai Leng as an anti-shepard doesn't work. It's embaressing.
  • Throwing in a totally non essential live Prothean who just kind of riffs on things sometimes instead of him being a central character to the narrative is disappointing.
  • Having only one way to approach a solution to the reaper threat throughout the game is disappointing, as is having it pop up conveniently in the opening act of ME3 with no foreshadowing or buildup.
  • Having effectively no unique missions based on trilogy choices is very disappointing. Just some minor variations within existing missions. The Rachni mission always occuring is especially insulting.
  • All of your collected allies and hard work being compressed down to just meat shields for you to do the final mission is a really sad way for the series to go out, even in a world where the ending wasn't as bad.
  • Everything after you reach the final mission is of course famously bad and people have spent much time talking about this.

WRT to Cerberus - the trilogy feel totally incoherent. In the 1st game they were just a group of very evil rogue cia types. In the 2nd game they are presented with a lot more detail, they are given an ideology, but you are railroaded into working with them for the greater good regardless. In the 3rd game they degenerate into mindless faceless robots who somehow are no longer a rogue faction and now have a huge army capable of threatening the citadel forces.

I think what's the most disappointing part of the overall game to me is that based on the first two games, I was fooled into thinking they had a grand plan where they were introducing all of these different groups and factions and that they would present potenitally alternative ways to approach the reaper threat. That your choices in the trilogy would open up new final paths - yes from a game perspective you'd still need maybe 75-85% of the overall game to have the same or only slightly tweaked missions, but that at least for the finale and a few places here or there you could expect some cool reactivity, since there were no more sequels to constrain things for. This was the final stop!

The solutions we get are:
  • Control
  • Destroy
  • Synthesis
The control ending has an obvious faction alignment - it's what Cerberus was trying to do in ME2 and it's DLC. The Destroy ending is a vanilla option, like the Alliance/Council aligned one. The synthsis ending doesn't make any goddamn sense, but IMO should have been replaced with a looser one of "peace" - and that would be based on solving the Quarian-Geth conflict and using this as a demonstration that coexistence is possible. There could also have been a final, bittersweet possibility where you fail, and instead try to plant the seeds for the next cycle that comes after you.

Instead of working towards an ending and taking anything you did into account, we got what we got, which I consider just a bad idea from the start, then executed poorly on top.

Jan 18, 2021
On the verge of great but made it so it wouldnt screw people who made certain choices in the previous games. For every big "decision" there was a magic alternative in 3

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
The gameplay is excellent. The multiplayer is still some of the most fun you can have with friends. I'm not the biggest fan of the pacing brought on by the Reapers in the galaxy map. It makes sense but it feels off when you're doing all of the small side quests when it's supposed to feel like you're on the clock. It's a nitpick but I hate that they removed the ability to holster your guns. Again, I guess it adds to the sense of urgency but I would have preferred a different way of handling the reapers. My favorite thing about Mass Effect is the vibes and having the tension ramped up to 11 constantly made it less appealing than the first two games.

On the plus side, they nailed the conclusions to the major side plots. The payoffs with Mordin, Legion, etc. were awesome. Of course, they fucked up the ending so badly that it felt like they spat in the face of their own writers. Completely contradicting their own themes for the sake of "speculation". The extended cut did nothing but add a bunch of exposition that ultimately makes the conclusion tedious on top of being massively disappointing.

I wish more than anything that they had just gone with a "safe" ending. A suicide mission 2.0 that took into account all of your choices and gave us one giant war cutscene with variations based on who you saved, sided with, etc. Might not have been surprising but it would have been much more satisfying.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
The actual end point is not that great, but now with the Citadel DLC you have the perfect send-off to the party members. Plus, I'd say the Garrus sniper scene alone is worth the price of admission. It's good, not to mention that with that degree of variation in such a high end game (sure, BG3 changes a lot, but this is a trilogy) is quite the achievement

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
If I was to describe Mass Effect 3, it would be like this: It's flawed and broken masterpiece held together by duct tape.

Good analogy. When there were only three games out, it was my least favorite by far, but then Andromeda hit, so uh...ME3 gets a bump by comparison. 🤷‍♂️

I didn't care for how they really leaned so hard into the "shooter" aspect of the series. Yes, they improved the combat mostly, but it still felt imbalanced and even less an RPG than the previous game. No, a bunch of mods and character customization don't change that.

By the time I was around eighty percent finished I couldn't wait for it to be over, and I was so exhausted by the time I saw the weak endings that I didn't even care about them. The endings aren't what made the game "not great" to me, it was simply the game itself.

ME2 is still the best of them all as it's the most balanced between being an actual RPG with the shooter side. Also had the best roster by far.

Oct 30, 2017
It's very good, definitely has weak spots, the ending is really bad and we don't talk about Kai Leng because if I focus too long I will trick myself into hating this game.

Great character moments, great online, great spectacle. I was pumped at the time, hard to carry choices over but the farewell to the characters was so good. Playing Andromeda just highlights how much of a fondness I really had to the trilogy characters (yes I know they got 3 games).

Oct 29, 2017
Absolutely a worthwhile, polished, and fun experience, but Bioware most definitely failed to follow through on the promises they made during interviews when ME1 was released, so that was a major gut punch and hard to shake off.

Extra credit: The cooperative multiplayer was a BANGER.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
I couldn't even finish it. Bring railroaded into getting all sadsack about that kid was really obnoxious.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Bought the Remaster and when I remembered how much I hated ME3, I knew I should have refunded that shit.

But eh, ME1+2 are okay, so I didn't ask for a refund in the end. Game is abysmally bad and felt like I wasted my time through the previous those games. It's why I can't judge Game of Thrones fans who were there since day 1 and now they can't rewatch the series ever again.

Muetsch

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's still an great game with a shit choice at the end.

For me everything after you leave Earth is the end and honestly I had a blast with almost all of it.

Also it was rad to use the Kinect and the MP is amazing as well. So yeah all that outweighs the (honestly super duper very) bad

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's good, but it clearly shows the devs were limited severely by the need to release it with à limited timeline. Having more time for pre-dev and dev could have made it one of the best games conclusion.