Status
Not open for further replies.

Owari

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You're confusing personal feelings about TV shows with the business/economic ramifications of this acquisition. The industry should be very afraid of a behemoth which owns so much content. Disney can do whatever they want now that they have so many IPs and such a bulk of the entertainment industry. It's frightening. Competition is good.
I'd prefer more good content than whatever ethics of entertainment spiel people keep going on about. Maybe if Netflix didn't suck so bad this wouldn't have happened, but here we are.

If it wasn't Disney pulling the strings it'd be Netflix. Who are bad at it.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Deadpool works best as a meta work. His movie would have him litrerally walk into MARVEL studios and demand a meeting with Kevin Feige. He would be carrying stacks of papers for his 'DEADPOOL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE"
Dunno about that, there are deadpool comics about him just doing shit, sometimes quite serious that aren't really that meta that are good.

I don't expect the movies to do that because they have painted him in a very....limited corner, but I can't exactly agree with you.

illmatic22

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Super Bowl LII Champions
Deadpool is safe it seems. Disney not gonna fix what ain't broke in the first place. That movie was pretty self contained too so no need to reboot unlike X-Men.

Last edited:

Oneiros

Oct 27, 2017
Nah. Clean slate to promote the new additions to the MCU. Those movies are disgustingly awful. Disney doesn't want that garbage fucking up their purchase.
New Mutants is done filming and Dark Phoenix is in the middle of production. They both have a good chance at turning a profit. There's no reason to cancel them.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
For those wondering, Disney is not going to cancel any of the upcoming X-Men-related films. They're filmed, they're complete, they are budgeted, and it's nothing but free money for Disney. We might get an edited-in MCU reference or two (especially in Deadpool 2) but that's it.

That said, this is likely the last gasp for the continuous X-Men series, and the franchise will be rebooted to be a part of the MCU in Phase IV, with the exception of Deadpool, but since that character isn't beholden to the laws of continuity or sense, they can just shove him in wherever he is needed and fans won't bat an eye. For those wondering how you suddenly make X-men a part of the MCU, Kevin Feige is a damn genius, the dude will figure out a way to make everything come together.

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Will those marvel films not in the MCU enter the MCU by parallel universes shenanigans? Or will they reboot them? They were not as bad as Spiderman movies by Sony, they already developed many characters, so might as well right?

SmokingBun

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
See I don't even particularly want an X-23 film in the Logan world. Actress was great and she'd be cool in a non mutant post apocalyptic setting but that world to me is a perfect one time visit.

X-23 can easily be re-tooled into an R rated TV show where she's trying to keep low and getting into trouble with gangs and such
Also, teenage angst. Perhaps Deadpool or Punisher can cameo as allies/antagonists. Have her as a supporting X-MAN in the proper X-Men movies

It would be good to have ONE show that occasionally crosses into the movies. BUT no plot overlap.
Laura's urban adventures should have no connection to fighting Magneto

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
So either Deadpool will be its own thing or it will be retconned to be part of the MCU?

I would expect that Deadpool, X-Men, etc., will enter the MCU as per Fiege's comments, but I imagine his individual movies will continue to be R-rated. I wouldn't be surprised to see a side brand for R-rated MCU flicks in the future. Based on comments this year Fiege is open to the idea of R-rated movies, so this presents them with that opportunity.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, place your bets, are Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen and Hugh Jackman gonna reprise their roles since the X-Men are probably getting a clean slate now? I'm pretty sure Jackman said he'd be totally keen on being in an MCU film, at least.

Everyone else aside from Deadpool are probably gone, though.

Hex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
unpwr.gif

Disney and their borderline monopoly on blockbuster media.

Hope y'all love that Fox News expansion

Wish y'all could read that Disney is not having any part of Fox News.

5134434-2895259372-giphy.gif

epaturun

Oct 27, 2017
Murdoch now owns 25% of Disney - he son will replace Iger and then the Murdoch's Disney will be bigger than Fox. This deal really favours Murdoch as Disney also acquired the billions of dollars debt that Fox had.

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
I envision Deadpool being full blown R-rated in his movies, but having his cursing censored when he appears in a bigger property like the X-Men.

"F***!....wait, the f*** was that?! Are you f****** censoring me?!"

Still Deadpool. Still funny. Basically him in the comics. Everyone laughs and moves along.

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd prefer more good content than whatever ethics of entertainment spiel people keep going on about. Maybe if Netflix didn't suck so bad this wouldn't have happened, but here we are.

If it wasn't Disney pulling the strings it'd be Netflix. Who are bad at it.
It was inevitable. As streaming market grew it was only a matter of time before big corps decided there's no point in letting Netflix earn money they could on their own.
Netflix at least was smart enough to see the writing on the wall and started to invest heavily in their own content long before they needed it.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Will those marvel films not in the MCU enter the MCU by parallel universes shenanigans? Or will they reboot them? They were not as bad as Spiderman movies by Sony, they already developed many characters, so might as well right?
Deadpool will be part of the MCU because Deadpool cares not for logic or reason. I'd say anything other than New Mutants is about to be left out; and New Mutants coming in is dependent on the film being good.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Murdoch now owns 25% of Disney - he son will replace Iger and then the Murdoch's Disney will be bigger than Fox. This deal really favours Murdoch as Disney also acquired the billions of dollars debt that Fox had.

Source... any links I had seen had it at 5% and Murdock's song getting the CEO position r even any position was not part of the deal.

Owari

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New Mutants is done filming and Dark Phoenix is in the middle of production. They both have a good chance at turning a profit. There's no reason to cancel them.
If Disney were buying WB, and they saw Justice League and BvS, they'd cancel those. And those movies are better than the current X-men shit. Just because they can "make a profit" doesn't mean they're good for the MCU, Disney's cash cow they just spent a $50b check on. Those movies are done. Get over it.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously.

Fox should have asked for more.

Well, maybe they'll do something with Futurama.

Futurama still belongs to MS I think. They bought it back when the Xbox One was planning on doing a bunch of TV stuff. No idea what happened to it from there but I guess they're just sitting on it

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
See I don't even particularly want an X-23 film in the Logan world. Actress was great and she'd be cool in a non mutant post apocalyptic setting but that world to me is a perfect one time visit.

I agree but at the same time she was outstanding, the film was outstanding, and if I'm not mistaken a lot of the same people were involved.

We also had a lot to build on with a sequel. There were (artificially created) mutants. There was a sanctuary. The secret of the anti mutant drug had been uncovered. They could have easily moved forward and gone in either a 'rebirth' direction where it's about bringing mutants back instead of just finding them, made X23 and co a sort of Alpha Flight up in Canada with a brand new setting and dynamics or gone in a kind of a Mad Max with Mutants direction.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I agree but at the same time she was outstanding, the film was outstanding, and if I'm not mistaken a lot of the same people were involved.

We also had a lot to build on with a sequel. There were (artificially created) mutants. There was a sanctuary. The secret of the anti mutant drug had been uncovered. They could have easily moved forward and gone in either a 'rebirth' direction where it's about bringing mutants back instead of just finding them, made X23 and into a sort of Alpha Flight up in Canada or gone in a kind of a Mad Max with Mutants direction.

Eh the world itself was really dull... it was Logan and Laura's relationship that made the movie for me.

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
Actually ironically part of MCU's problems is that like a huge chunk of the all time classic female characters from Marvel were X-Women... Thank you Chris Claremont
Yeah, I know all the excuses people bring up, we'll see. I mean, do you think they'll give female X-Men solo movies? Do you think they'll give them the clear spotlight in the X-Men movies? We'll see.
They've run out of excuses.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I envision Deadpool being full blown R-rated in his movies, but having his cursing censored when he appears in a bigger property like the X-Men.

"F***!....wait, the f*** was that?! Are you f****** censoring me?!"

Still Deadpool. Still funny. Basically him in the comics. Everyone laughs and moves along.

Pretty much. And Oh my God, the potential for fourth-wall breaking jokes.

Deadpool: *Sees Tony* Hey Sherlock.

*Sees Dr. Strange* Hey other Sherlock.

Oct 29, 2017
I've been a comic fan for a while, reading lots of them over the years but can someone please answer me a question. Honestly not trying to come off as dickish and i'm Genuinely interested: why do people like Fantastic Four and are so excited to finally see them "done right" by Disney/Marvel. They have always seemed like the most boring/least interesting heroes in Marvel comics to me. Granted i've Never fully read their solo comic; i've Tried multiple times with different runs and it is either boring or they (mostly Mr. Fantastic and his children) are stupidly overpowered to the point nothing is a threat. Doctor Doom has been an interesting villian when threatening the broader universe so I get the excitement of him being set up as a larger villain in the style of Thanos but I have zero interest in a Fantasic Four movie.

As for the Xmen in the MCU, I could take them or leave them. I'd almost prefer to leave them separate as The MCU not having them has forced them to rely on lesser properties to amazing effect (GotG)

Status
Not open for further replies.