Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Now hear me out.

I'm not saying we get rid of 'dodging'. What I mean is we get away from using a 'roll' as the animation for 'dodge'. Why? Because it's dumb watching a person jump and roll and immediately jump and roll in the opposite direction. It's immersion breaking and it doesn't really communicate with the player what its properties are.

Which is why I like the quick step in Bloodborne. It fits the aesthetic and it communicates with the player that you're untouchable for a brief moment as your character turns into smoke and back again.

With rolling, new players think they have to roll completely out of the way to not get hit, usually resulting in players who constantly roll backwards or sideways and getting punished for it; instead of moving through the enemies attack and countering. And I don't blame them because who thinks 'I'm gonna roll my body through the axe!'?

So I say, lets get away from using a dive and roll animation as the default dodge animation.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Bayonetta_Down_B_SSBU.gif

Witch Time baybee.

Sep 10, 2020
Yeah, it's really bizarre how almost every single third-person action game uses it. It looks really dumb a lot of the time

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Shooters etc without rolling seem to encourage bunny-hopping which is more immersion-breaking and useless imo

Last edited:

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not until we get a god damn modern 3D Sonic game with actual rolling physics.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
I agree and find it really weird when a dodge roll has iframes that are not communicated in any way visually or whatever, why is it even in the game and why are you not just simulating the physical interaction so you can like jump over a sword swing instead?

OP
OP
Failburger

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I personally like games because they're unrealistic and can have silly stuff like that in them, so no, keep the rolling :P
Yuuuuuuup. Why on earth do some people want everything to reflect the real world when you can do so much more in a game?

Specifically mentions Bloodborne where you dissipate into smoke and dash away from attacks and people be like 'NO! NO REALISM!'

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
They already took rolling from me in Zelda. I can't handle any more betrayal.

seroun

Banned
Oct 25, 2018
I want my character to do things with their joints that I can't do.

That includes rolling very fast. Not my fault our bones are shite, OP.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Rolling w/ iframes is the best though.

I will never understand these immersion arguments. Convinced it's a meaningless buzzword people use. Of all things in Souls games... THAT is immersion breaking?

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I do think that one of the best innovations Tomb Raider had over the Uncharted series was swapping the roll for a scramble.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Specifically mentions Bloodborne where you dissipate into smoke and dash away from attacks and people be like 'NO! NO REALISM!'
I had the exact opposite problem with Bloodborne in that I didn't even know the quick step had i-frames until someone had told me, because it sure didn't look that way to me and at that point, I was just disengaging lock on and running away to avoid attacks.

Dodge rolls have always felt nicer to me because the visual cue of being rolled up into a ball/somersault is personally much easier for me to visually parse in the moment.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I've found that I don't like a good 80% of games that involve rolling as the "dodge" of the game.

Includes every Soulslike game except for a few.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think games need to be realistic but rolling does look stupid if you really look at what's going on and think about it in terms of natural movement.

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
I would be entirely happy if rolling was completely replaced by decking a motherfucker in the face.

RE3R Jill: Roll
RE3R Carlos: Deck the motherfucker in the face

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I don't understand this 'immersion' thing. Like, are the people who tout "immersion" in a sensory deprivation tank with noise cancelling headphones and a VR headset on their head? And as soon as they see a character do something unrealistic they think "ah god. I'm playing a game, aren't i?"

I'll never be so immersed in a game that I'm fully unaware that I'm playing a game, and I kind of doubt anyone else will either.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Depends, it may look silly in some games, but in something like Guacamelee I love it.