ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
It's no secret that 2D fighting games from the 90's and early 2000's featured some of the most beautifully frantic pixel-art backdrops in all of gaming. Many forum threads have sprung up over the years with the sole purpose of sharing animated GIF captures of some of Capcom and SNK's best work from that era and admiring the artistry on display. It would be a valid criticism of most modern fighting games to say that their backgrounds are generally less "alive" and filled with detail than their 90's predecessors, and one thing that I feel really helps those old backgrounds crackle with energy is the fact that many of them are littered with onlookers going absolutely ballistic.

Noticing the outlandish behavior of background observers in classic fighting game backgrounds has always been entertaining to me, so I thought I'd reach out to ERA and see if anyone else enjoys it as much as I do.

Let's start with a good example: Galford's stage from Samurai Shodown 2.

Samsho2bggalford.gif

Here's a shot of the whole scene in motion. Just look at this. Nothing sells the intensity of the fight like a crowd of onlookers acting like they're witnessing the coolest shit that has ever happened in their entire lives.

1.gif

Look at these dudes. The guy on the left is so amped up that he's essentially headbanging while choking his friend out of sheer, unbridled hype for the fight taking place on the dock in front of them. And the guy being choked is so jazzed about it that he doesn't even seem to mind. If anything, it looks like being choked is just juicing him up even more, judging by his tense, energized posture. Hell, even the cat can't help but be swept up in the thrill of it all.

2.gif

This shark might be dead, but that's not stopping him from going HAM like the rest of the audience in attendance. Or maybe the guy above him is spinning the shark to add to the hype. Either way, nothing injects some intensity into a 1-on-1 fight like an open-mouthed shark spinning at 60rpm in the background.

3.gif

This guy is clearly old and feeble, but he's fighting through brittle bones and a weakened constitution to rise to his feet and cheer on the action like a ravenous, wild animal. If this is the last thing he sees in his life, he will have died happy.

4.gif

I think the guy in the top left here is my favorite in the entire scene. He looks so amped up, like he's about to pass out from adrenaline and testosterone overload. It's like he's mustering all the willpower in his being to not jump into the fight barehanded and start swinging on the armed combatants through sheer force of hype. Look at that fighting stance, those hyperventilated breaths... he's ready and raring to go.

5.gif

I'll finish with this. Leave it to 90's fighting game backgrounds to make endlessly petting (or feeding?) a dog on loop look cool. It could just be black pixels meant to represent the dog's brow and eyes, but he almost looks to be wearing black sunglasses as well.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Who wouldn't be going ham if a ninja and a dog started fighting a samurai with plasma projectiles and mini tornadoes flying everywhere followed by clashing of blades?

SF2 Ken USA stage is the best with drunk people on a boat going off watching two dudes in red and white gis chuck flaming fists and punching each other forty feet out of the air. I'd be going ham too.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
KOFXII/XIII's Paris stage is lit
Big ladies everywhere, and the one in the center is shadowboxing like there's no tomorrow.
Oh, man. I forgot how lively the backgrounds were in KOF XIII. Probably the swan song for these types of pixel art animated backgrounds. They really went all out. What I wouldn't give for KOF to have kept down that path instead of switching to mediocre polygonal art.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Next let's take a look at this oddball background from King of Fighters 94.

animated-gifs-of-fighting-game-backgrounds-3.gif

So we have here what looks to be a makeshift boxing ring set up in the middle of a seaside junkyard or similarly derelict area of an American city, but a few things jump out to me.

62a1.gif

This guy is clearly meant to catch the player's eye right off the bat with his strange, erratic movements dead center in the middle of the screen. Is he supposed to be some kind of referee for the match, given his placement and white gloves + tie? Or is he just some excited guy with a unique sense of fashion? Whatever the case may be, the Blues Brothers creeping from the Volkswagen van behind him are digging his infectious energy.

da42.gif

This family of stray cats can't resist the thrill of the fight.

3fc3.gif

This cat is more of a lone wolf and decides to get a closer look at the action. The increased proximity to the fight results in a hype level that is approaching its boiling point. The cat has achieved bipedal status and proceeds to lose his mind atop the SNK-branded corner post of the ring.

4064.gif

Alright, now we're talking. This guy is what 90's fighting game backgrounds are all about: being so enraptured by the high-octane action taking place in the foreground that he instinctively succumbs to his mania and begins flashing the combatants. In this guy's mind, presenting his half-naked body and letting out a guttural roar is the only way to properly channel his excitement, and I completely respect that.

Siegmeyer

Nov 2, 2017
I don't really play fighters so can't contribute anything, but I just wanted to say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading that OP. Well played ScOULaris.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Can you please analyze all the goddamn SNK stages? I feel that I could read your analysis forever

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Gotta mention Blazblue's Hype Dog from Platinums Stage in Continuum Shift, I'd get a gif, but can't at work.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly what came to my mind when I saw thread title
I'd love to analyze some of the KOF XIII backgrounds in this thread because they are basically the epitome of fighting game backdrops packed to the gills with people (and animals) going ham, but I can't find animated GIF rips of them anywhere online.

If someone could point me to some I'd greatly appreciate it.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
One of my favorite stages in gaming is the mexico one in KOF 94

The place being packaged with aof characters was great

Astromeria

Jun 8, 2018
Never played many fighting games myself but I've always loved watching my friends play them.
I see some KoF stuff posted already which always had great background characters so here's some more SNK stuff from Garou: Mark of the Wolves.
mM013MV.gif

rdcYZom.gif

Last edited:

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So we have here what looks to be a makeshift boxing ring set up in the middle of a seaside junkyard or similarly derelict area of an American city
That stage is located right underneath the Brooklyn Bridge (Brooklyn side) in New York City. This is a picture of the underside of the nearby Manhattan Bridge, from many years ago:

tumblr_mq5qt7LMF01qdf95wo1_1280.jpg

You can see several of the same structures in the background - like One Chase, Federal Hall, the Twin Towers, the Bank of New York building, and the Manhattan Municipal Building.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, let's look at another Samurai Shodown 2 background. This time we've got Earthquake's atmospheric, grungy backdrop titled: Texas, Pacific Railway.
The SS Wiki said:
Amid mountains, there is a train bridge which was collapsed, causing the fall of the train to the bottom of the canyon. There, many thieves (surely Earthquake comrades) are ransacking the train freight. The locomotive is expelling steam, while its lighthouse enlightens a thief who is smoking. Another thief (holding a weapon identical Earthquake's weapon) is standing on a box. A thief with green pants is sitting eating a meat, while other is also smoking recharged in a wagon. Far away there is a pair of cliffs, under a purple sky.

dfc8e63754b8f9d090b8.gif

While this is a cool scene in terms of composition and color palette, it stands out to me for the symmetrical extremes of its four NPC characters.

8401.gif
32a2.gif

So right off the bat we have these two guys going ham as god intended. One of them appears to be the ultimate Earthquake fanboi, seemingly trying to emulate his celebrity crush in both apparel and weapon of choice. He's swinging that chain around like there's no tomorrow, and I approve. To the right we've got a fatso going ham on some... ham, perhaps? Maybe a lamb shank? Whatever that hunk of meat is, one thing is clear: that guy is all about it. He might not be as enthralled by the fight unfolding in front of him as he is by that delicious treat, but his energy level passes muster for me.

4533.gif
5a34.gif

Then we have these two try-hards who think they are just too cool for school. Apparently witnessing a fight between otherworldly warriors just isn't all that impressive to them, because they can't even bother to animate aside from their cigarette smoke. I wonder why the person or people responsible for this background decided to make these two completely motionless. Time or memory constraints?

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
This background from Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 is just okay, but I have to give one particular NPC a shout-out for the purposes of this thread:

af91.gif

7e95.gif

Oh, he's going ham alright.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Never played many fighting games myself but I've always loved watching my friends play them.
I see some KoF stuff posted already which always had great background characters so here's some more SNK stuff from Garou: Mark of the Wolves.
mM013MV.gif

rdcYZom.gif
Fun fact:
If you Taunt (not holding Back or Forward) then the NPCs in the background will perform a specific animation. Otherwise an action will occur in the background.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
4.gif

I think the guy in the top left here is my favorite in the entire scene. He looks so amped up, like he's about to pass out from adrenaline and testosterone overload. It's like he's mustering all the willpower in his being to not jump into the fight barehanded and start swinging on the armed combatants through sheer force of hype. Look at that fighting stance, those hyperventilated breaths... he's ready and raring to go.

I prefer to think the dude on the top left is doing some sort of ass-twerking dance or something. Kinda like this but less animated:

2seMv.gif

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know where I can get high res versions of these backgrounds to use as wallpapers?

Animated, still it's all good.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
4064.gif

Alright, now we're talking. This guy is what 90's fighting game backgrounds are all about: being so enraptured by the high-octane action taking place in the foreground that he instinctively succumbs to his mania and begins flashing the combatants. In this guy's mind, presenting his half-naked body and letting out a guttural roar is the only way to properly channel his excitement, and I completely respect that.

LOL.

I like you, OP.

Force_XXI

Oct 29, 2017
Sakura's stage SFA2
latest

Kid is gettin it

2570476fc2facc9514a9ec0cbaa938cb.png

Guy's stage is nice too, couldnt find a gif. Love Haggar giving the noogie

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Someone post the background of the stage where you fight Marduk in Tekken 5.

Those guys in the background were hilarious.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Me and a friend booted up eternal champions again earlier in the year to try and pull off some of those stage insta kills, they require such specific character placement.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Eternal Champions: Challenge from the darkside

vvvv

The game has like 50+ fatalities, and they are all super well animated like that.

Yeah, definitely the best stage fatalities of any fighting game, at least in terms of quantity. Not all of them are winners, but the amount of unique animation frames put into all of them collectively is staggering. And some of the better ones are really creative and elaborate.