sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Can we talk the opposite? Backgrounds going HAM on the player?

Example:

eternal-champions-sega-cd-senator-overkill.gif

eternal-champions-drake-chicago-overkill-laser-time.gif

300px-eternal_champiogessy.gif

ln70Wip.gif

LjvbdJo.gif

EwSUykk.gif

Mortal Kombat is afraid to show this much gore

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Then we have these two try-hards who think they are just too cool for school. Apparently witnessing a fight between otherworldly warriors just isn't all that impressive to them, because they can't even bother to animate aside from their cigarette smoke. I wonder why the person or people responsible for this background decided to make these two completely motionless. Time or memory constraints?

They might actually be that cool assuming they took out that train right behind them lol. What a crazy background

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Really thought this would be in the he first 5 posts.

tumblr_nsk2ybFohP1tdjgz4o1_1280.gif
An iconic background for sure, and most of the onlookers are displaying suitable enthusiasm... but I'm gonna have to call this boy out right here.

d61.gif

Ey, man. You serious? Are you bopping that knee to some mid-tempo jazz music or are you witnessing a clash between two World Warriors? Because I honestly can't tell with that half-assed display.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Definitely can't ignore this one from KOF 94

Evb2Bp4.gif

2 officers looking like they are about to throwdown. One dancing in the middle. Kids kicking the sign and vehicle in the back. Guy slamming his drink down above the sign. So much going on

Loona

Oct 29, 2017
Definitely can't ignore this one from KOF 94

Evb2Bp4.gif

2 officers looking like they are about to throwdown. One dancing in the middle. Kids kicking the sign and vehicle in the back. Guy slamming his drink down above the sign. So much going on

I like to think the kid practicing kicks in the background is Shingo before he finally joined the series as a rookie fighter in 97.

Another neat touch about the stage is that before the match starts you hear some traffic and possibly a car crash, setting up all the commotion beyond the event that is the fight itself.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
SFV is full of this stuff. Capcom for some reason put a lot of emphasis into background NPCs.

wFA8kTM.png

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
SFV is full of this stuff. Capcom for some reason put a lot of emphasis into background NPCs.
Yeah, if only the backgrounds in SFV animated at 60fps like everything in the foreground. The backgrounds in SFV have always looked poor to me because of their low framerate and muddy textures. They give the entire presentation an unpolished look that never sat right right me.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, if only the backgrounds in SFV animated at 60fps like everything in the foreground. The backgrounds in SFV have always looked poor to me because of their low framerate and muddy textures. They give the entire presentation an unpolished look that never sat right right me.
But my example is clearly running at 60fps... :P Some NPCs animate at 30, others at 60.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone remembers this iconic backdrop from King of Fighters 95. Who wouldn't love to visit a giant Neo-Geo mega store?

kof95stagejapan.gif

At first glance most of the onlookers appear to be exhibiting a perfectly appropriate amount of excitement for the 3-on-3 action unfolding in front of them, but nobody really seems to be going HAM. So I was going to pass on featuring this one, but then one NPC jumped out at me.

2de1.gif

Awww yeah. This guy's feeling it. You can tell he was trying to play it cool by keeping his hands in his pockets, not wanting to seem overly enthusiastic compared to the rest of the people in attendance. But then the excitement began to boil up inside, traveling up his body until manifesting as full-on headbanging convulsions. Try as he might, he couldn't help but succumb to the thrill of the fight.

SEKusanagi

Oct 27, 2017
Raleigh, North Carolina
On phone at the moment, but I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Urban Jungle from Tekken 5. Also, he may not be going ham, but the painter in the London stage in Guilty Gear Accent Core is a favorite of mine.