• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The developers aren't the problem here, it's the fact that Rowling uses her money to politically lobby for transophobia, and has actually come on record to claim that the fact that people continue to purchase HP products vindicates her. I'm not excusing Cyberpunk, it's just that the situation is much more impactful this time around. Even if she was already paid in full for this game, which i find doubtful, the success of the game will naturally boost sales for everything HP related. No amount of disclaimers will stop this from funding trans hate in the UK.
No, I wholeheartedly agree. Just saying that from the forum's perspective, this case could be spun like this, to allow a situation handled much like Cyberpunk's. Thread's about the game, not about Rowling, and it's not the devs at fault here, so let's discuss the game in a civil manner, in the end we're a gaming board, and so on.

Lost Heaven

Aug 20, 2021
No, I wholeheartedly agree. Just saying that from the forum's perspective, this case could be spun like this, to allow a situation handled much like Cyberpunk's. Thread's about the game, not about Rowling, and it's not the devs at fault here, so let's discuss the game in a civil manner, in the end we're a gaming board, and so on.
I understand your point and i agree that most people will use a similar line of reasoning, i just hope this particular situation can be viewed with the nuance it deserves by the people who run the forum.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I understand your point and i agree that most people will use a similar line of reasoning, i just hope this particular situation can be viewed with the nuance it deserves by the people who run the forum.
I'm somewhat sure staff already announced, or at least strongly hinted, to have an OT for the game but no hype threads in the previously closed topics, so.. I don't know, I can see a CP2077 situation replica all over again. I'll be happy to be wrong in this case, just saying we probably should set our expectations accordingly.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I'm somewhat sure staff already announced, or at least strongly hinted, to have an OT for the game but no hype threads in the previously closed topics, so.. I don't know, I can see a CP2077 situation replica all over again. I'll be happy to be wrong in this case, just saying we probably should set our expectations accordingly.
You keep saying this as a contribution and it's a little tiring because everyone understands what the proposed outcome was but it's been made clear that that was still being discussed off the back of how far Rowling has gone. We don't need to keep being reminded what the thing we're pushing against is.

The bleak pessimism is of use to no one, especially when it's not enlightening anyone but rather serving to cast a further cloud over the hope that something positive will come from the staff discussions.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
The developers aren't the problem here, it's the fact that Rowling uses her money to politically lobby for transophobia, and has actually come on record to claim that the fact that people continue to purchase HP products vindicates her. I'm not excusing Cyberpunk, it's just that the situation is much more impactful this time around. Even if she was already paid in full for this game, which i find doubtful, the success of the game will naturally boost sales for everything HP related. No amount of disclaimers will stop this from funding trans hate in the UK.
The Lead Designer is certainly part of the problem.

kotaku.com

Hogwarts Legacy Lead Designer Used To Run Anti-Social Justice YouTube Channel

Troy Leavitt is a lead designer at Warner Bros. development studio Avalanche Software currently working on controversial Harry Potter game Hogwarts Legacy. He also ran a reactionary YouTube channel focused on attacking feminism and social justice for over a year.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
You keep saying this as a contribution and it's a little tiring because everyone understands what the proposed outcome was but it's been made clear that that was still being discussed off the back of how far Rowling has gone. We don't need to keep being reminded what the thing we're pushing against is.

The bleak pessimism is of use to no one, especially when it's not enlightening anyone but rather serving to cast a further cloud over the hope that something positive will come from the staff discussions.
You're right, of course. I wasn't even realizing how much I'm just repeating myself with the pessimism.

Lost Heaven

Aug 20, 2021
The Lead Designer is certainly part of the problem.

kotaku.com

Hogwarts Legacy Lead Designer Used To Run Anti-Social Justice YouTube Channel

Troy Leavitt is a lead designer at Warner Bros. development studio Avalanche Software currently working on controversial Harry Potter game Hogwarts Legacy. He also ran a reactionary YouTube channel focused on attacking feminism and social justice for over a year.
I thought he was booted or resigned?

Gespenst MKIV

Nov 1, 2017
Isn't the plot of the game confirmed to be about the Goblins and other magical creatures reveling against the wizard's oppression and how they are literally kid kidnapping monsters that your player character has to "put in their place"?
The same goblins that have been criticized for being jew caricatures

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the plot of the game confirmed to be about the Goblins and other magical creatures reveling against the wizard's oppression and how they are literally kid kidnapping monsters that your player character has to "put in their place"?
The same goblins that have been criticized for being jew caricatures

That's what it sounds like, yeah - a magical creature uprising being put down and the players acting as child cops putting down the resistance.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Buy Hogwarts Legacy if you want, but you'll have to accept that Rowling sees money and success as validation of her views and you are validating them in her mind, whether you agree or not.

Kelsper

Nov 5, 2021
www.thetimes.co.uk

Scots gender certificate ‘invalid’ south of border

Transgender Scots will have to apply for a UK gender recognition certificate in order to be recognised outside Scotland under changes to be made by ministers.

A UK government source said: "This is just a procedural change and it was envisaged in the 2004 act. It is not a new measure, it was done in 2011 and we are updating it for 2023.

"We are not discriminating against people from foreign countries with GRCs. If they arrive in this country with one from a country that has a less rigorous system than the UK, we're saying you should apply for a UK GRC, which is readily available."
So wait, a UK government official is referring to Scotland as a foreign country, and not part of the UK?

Almost like they are making the Scottish independence case themselves.

(I fully understand that this is only for the desperate purpose of delegitimising the trans legislation Scotland passed)

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
Already removed it seems. Still, I can't disagree. I personally tagged it as Transphobic to check if it still showed up, at least for me, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Lozange

Oct 25, 2017
It was tagged as "Capitalism" and "Villain Protagonist" earlier.
Unfortunately I think we'll just have to hope(?) That one of these tags is accurate to the game itself for it to stick

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Linehan has been suspended from Twitter again, says he refuses to back down. I hope he tries to ape the woke moralists video now.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
So a youtuber I had followed, MightyKeef has been showing his whole ass these past couple of days running defense for this game. The whole "protesting won't matter because she's a billionaire" and all of that jazz. Even QRT this just to bitch about other people dunking on the game.

Just been really disappointing to see.

Don't follow him, but I circle back to him occasionally and this is very disappointing to learn.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
What did he say, all i saw was something about teaching math.

He's a VA in the game.

news.yahoo.com

Simon Pegg joins Harry Potter world as Sirius Black ancestor in Hogwarts Legacy

Nine others have been cast in the highly anticipated video game, including a Harry Potter alum.

Others were revealed, too.

Joining [Simon] Pegg in the game is a troupe of actors, including a Harry Potter film alum.

Sebastian Croft and Amelia Gething provide the two voice options for the game's playable avatar...

Lesley Nicol... will play Professor Matilda Weasley...

Kandace Caine will play Professor Onai...

Luke Youngblood, who played Lee Jordan in the film series ... to voice half-blood Ravenclaw student Everett Clopton,

Sohm Kapila (The Morning Show, General Hospital) plays Satyavati Shah, the professor of astronomy

Asif Ali (WandaVision, Don't Worry Darling) will play muggle-born Ravenclaw student Mahendra Pehlwaan;

Jason Anthony will play both Nearly Headless Nick and the Sorting Hat.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
He's a VA in the game.

news.yahoo.com

Nine others have been cast in the highly anticipated video game, including a Harry Potter alum.

It was just revealed he is the voice of the headmaster of Hogwarts in HL.

And they put out a video of him glowing over it.
Oh, well not surprised. I don't trust a single British celebrity unless that make it claral.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
He's a VA in the game.

news.yahoo.com

Well that's disappointing for sure. Fucking Simon Pegg?

I saw this tweet from the wonderful Amanda Winn Lee which gave me a bit of hope that no one really notable had got roles in the game, but urgh.

View: https://twitter.com/amandawinnlee/status/1612831963156742145

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
As usual don't read the comments section. Yeesh. Little mini Rowlings.
But it was almost worth it for

v3hP8oz.png

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Been on my shit list ever since he spent years moaning about Star Wars then jumped at the chance to be in the Clone Wars, he's always been a massive hypocrite.

Naw, that's not it.

He openly said at the time he took the role because he was enjoying the show. I hate TCW, and I can still appreciate someone wanting to be a part of a franchise they love, in an installment they are enjoying.

That's not hypocrisy.

And it's nowhere near what he has now done with proudly aligning with an open transphobe.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
I'm not exactly going to call anyone who pays for the game a transphobe because that feels too far, but I am definitely not going to play it. No desire to all things considered. If I ever do touch the thing, it would be an used copy or something of the sort that wouldn't give Rowling (and more importantly the shit she funds) any money. Don't think I'd want to though, feels...ehhhh.

That said, this shit does remind me it's more important than ever to support local trans community, especially kids. Managed to convince the club owner at the club I coach at to give free tennis lessons to trans kids (in my opinion sports have always been a great way to find a place to relax and be yourself when I was a kid - and it's one of the few things I can do).

Club owner wasn't *100%* onboard with the outreach thing at first but one good thing to come out of the Rowling disaster is that he has been a lot more supportive about it. Went from "Yeah sure but let's keep it a secret from paying clients so we don't piss them off" to "Hey can we get in contact with the local school so they can let their trans students know we are open to them?" He's a little old fashioned and doesn't really understand trans issues at all (he openly has no idea what it means to be trans despite trying to understand it, he just can't wrap his mind around it - but he eventually came from "I don't get it" to "Yo I don't get it but this seems like a really minor thing why are you fucks so hellbent on making their lives miserable Christ." Hope we manage to get in touch with the school and get stuff sorted out - we're getting more timeslots and court time for that stuff too thanks to the owner slowly becoming more rad.

Wish there was something more I could do though, end of the day I know that sports isn't like...yeah. Everything that comes out about this game just reminds me how miserable the situation is :/

Xan

Oct 27, 2017
Kandace Caine will play Professor Onai...
The first time I saw this I thought it was the famous trans actress Candis Cayne, but it's just someone with an almost identical name.

While it's most likely a coincidence, I'd laugh if they thought they'd cast Candis Cayne in a "look we're not really transphobic" move, but then it turned out to be the wrong one