OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Oddly I'm pretty sure I stumbled onto the same video last night. Was it Hasan? I was kinda confused because Era has bigged him up a lot but I've never watched. On top of his weird Chik-Fil-A defense he also went on some tangent of Cyberpunk not being transphobic.

I dont really get what the hell he was trying to say but it seemed a lot like 'I stand with trans people... as long as this statement is the full extent of standing with them'. I can't say I see the appeal. I'm pretty sure I've seen this act before as well, really seems like another Destiny.
I said it before and I'll say it again, I give Hasan 5 years before he's just Destiny.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
This also goes past the fact it's almost always put out there as a stick to push for inaction in areas by people who have no actual desire to put in work to promote the ills of mobile phone production, or other examples that are pushed in the same respect. If you care about a certain issue do the work to campaign over it, instead of using it as a Yu-Gi-Oh style trap card when other people take issue with other products or elements of society. Using other ills in the world solely as a means to try and push back on others pushing on other issues important to them is both stupid and pathetic.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This also goes past the fact it's almost always put out there as a cudgel to push for inaction in areas by people who have no actual desire to put in work to promote the ills of phone production, or other areas. If you care about a certain issue do the work to campaign over it, instead of using it as a Yu-Gi-Oh style trap card when other people take issue with other products or elements of society. Using other ills in the world solely as a means to try and push back on people pushing on certain issues is both stupid and pathetic.

"If you aren't pushing back against <specific injustice I'm weaponizing for this argument right now but don't care about in the slightest otherwise>, you shouldn't be complaining about <specific injustice you're calling out>!!!!!!!"

That kind of kneejerk sidestepping is practically clockwork these days.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
No, I am saying it actually is an apt comparison and people should come to terms with the fact that we're all hypocrites who have our own line in the sand we draw. Not so much the cellphone part, but twitter...yeah that's a pretty good point. It's literally owned by a transphobe! Everyone does need a phone but again, it's a hard sell to say you need it to use twitter.
And the people in this thread have made it fairly clear where we draw the line in the sand, a social media platform and a cellphone are more essential and can be looked past especially with them being more required today than a fried chicken shop, and video game about wizard slave owners.

There's no need for the "And yet you participate in that society" style gotcha.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
No, I am saying it actually is an apt comparison and people should come to terms with the fact that we're all hypocrites who have our own line in the sand we draw. Not so much the cellphone part, but twitter...yeah that's a pretty good point. It's literally owned by a transphobe! Everyone does need a phone but again, it's a hard sell to say you need it to use twitter.
That's literally not what the tweet in question is trying to establish.

My question is not why are you advocating in understanding how we function in a capitalist society. It's why you're using a right-wing tweet, that you haven't even seen but heard my biased ass take on, as an avenue to shut down critical discussion of the game.

Cuz that's what you're doing, and it's obvious. You could've asked me to find the tweet, or name the streamer, but you didn't. Because you do not actually care about a proper discussion.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
"If you aren't pushing back against <specific injustice I'm weaponizing for this argument right now but don't care about in the slightest otherwise>, you shouldn't be complaining about <specific injustice you're calling out>!!!!!!!"

That kind of kneejerk sidestepping is practically clockwork these days.
Yeh. If the only time you mention child labour for cell phones is to push back on people campaigning and raising awareness on other social issues, then you're a bit of a dick in my mind.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
That's literally not what the tweet in question is trying to establish.

My question is not why are you advocating in understanding how we function in a capitalist society. It's why you're using a right-wing tweet, that you haven't even seen but heard my biased ass take on, as an avenue to shut down critical discussion of the game.

Cuz that's what you're doing, and it's obvious. You could've asked me to find the tweet, or name the streamer, but you didn't. Because you do not actually care about a proper discussion.

There's no nefarious motive behind my comment, besides talking about that particular example. I don't care if you criticize the game.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
point-wink.gif

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
It's next to impossible to ethically consume with the current system in place but, sometimes, an obvious choice is presented. It's an easy choice for me, I don't like Harry Potter, but moral stances aren't always going to be easy but this one..... it's very obvious. There's no "supporting the devs", they've already been paid, there's no "separating the art from the artist" when there's questionable views in the source material anyway.

I'm not going to judge anyone for buying it and having a lovely wizarding time, but let's not pretend it supports anything but re-enforcing Rowling's view that she's in the right. She has said as much herself, she sees her money and success as validation.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
They haven't said anything directly to me I feel like I have a response to.

I can already feel we're heading towards the deal where ppl assume the worst and I'm going back and forth defending things I don't say or think. No ty!
So you're picking and dealing with the circumstances that you're capable of managing. Huh.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
This Morning putting out misinformation on it from someone who clearly has no idea what a GRC does and allows for.

Now those men will be able to, on the basis of self-declaration, change their legal sex and get rights of entry to women's single-sex spaces

View: https://twitter.com/thismorning/status/1615299051305549826?s=20&t=C45TlCucJ9C7bhXaWSZy3w
www.thepinknews.com

ITV defends 'irresponsible' This Morning gender debate with zero trans people

ITV has defended a This Morning segment on the UK government blocking Scottish gender recognition reform that featured zero trans people.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

I can already feel we're heading towards the deal where ppl assume the worst and I'm going back and forth defending things I don't say or think. No ty!

I'm not assuming anything. I was just pointing out that the 'but you have a cell phone' gotcha is a fallacious argument used to shut down discussions rather than a realistic, actionable response.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

No one is assuming anything, you literally played the "Yet you participate in society, curious!" card, which as PlanetSmasher says above is utterly fallacious reasoning.

turbozan

Banned
Oct 24, 2022

This is absolute goofball logic. I can't survive without a phone. Need to sell my labor for a fraction of its value so I don't die in the street, which means I need to be able to interact with the rest of the world to fill out apps, answer calls from bosses/coworkers, respond to emails from HR and the gov, etc. Nobody needs a harry potter game to survive, just like chik fil a isn't the only option if you're hungry. "no ethical consumption under capitalism" doesn't mean embracing atomization and becoming a mercenary nihilist.

Dec 2, 2017
Fortunately there's a meme specifically to counter your argument

342.png

lokiduck

The Fallen
Mar 27, 2019
Washington
Oddly I'm pretty sure I stumbled onto the same video last night. Was it Hasan? I was kinda confused because Era has bigged him up a lot but I've never watched. On top of his weird Chik-Fil-A defense he also went on some tangent of Cyberpunk not being transphobic.

I dont really get what the hell he was trying to say but it seemed a lot like 'I stand with trans people... as long as this statement is the full extent of standing with them'. I can't say I see the appeal. I'm pretty sure I've seen this act before as well, really seems like another Destiny.
lol I saw he had put out a "is HL transphobic" video yesterday (despite never watching his vids) and was basically sitting there confused going "are you really the one that gets to decide that?"

Mind you he's just one a billion youtubers making that same kind of video with their clickbaiting thumbnails that make it unclear what side they are on. 🤷‍♀️

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017

lol I saw he had put out a "is HL transphobic" video yesterday (despite never watching his vids) and was basically sitting there confused going "are you really the one that gets to decide that?"

Mind you he's just one a billion youtubers making that same kind of video with their clickbaiting thumbnails that make it unclear what side they are on. 🤷‍♀️
Yeah, it's bad.

Dude has some good takes, but he also really shows his ass a lot.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I honestly hate those kinds of youtubers. They get so high on their own opinion and status as a popular figure that they start speaking over the people they're supposedly allies with.
It doesn't help that they get followers who are in that group they're talking about so they get reinforcement.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Hasan has been on my shit list after he tried to argue that anyone who thought Cyberpunk was transphobic was just a "lib who wanted to be offended." Not surprised he'd side with JK because he really wants to play the antisemitic hogwarts game.

Last edited:

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Hasan has been on my shit list after he tried to argue that anyone who thought Cyberpunk was transphobic was just a "lib who wanted to be offended" Not surprised he'd side with JK because he really wants to play the antisemitic hogwarts game.
It's not that he's siding with JK. Its that he's painting anyone who does not want to promote that game as an ignorant neolib who doesn't take umbrage with Chik-fil-a or western imperialist propaganda like COD.

Like it's even sadder. Instead of trying to build off caring about people's rights, using that to get people to care about people other than their own, he calls them hypocrites and tells them to shut the fuck up.

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
Hasan supposedly (unless he ends up reconsidering after the backlash he's got from trans people, but having seen how pissed he gets after getting criticized, I honestly doubt it & feel like he'd just double down) plans to stream TERF Legacy while competing with other fellow streamers who'll also stream it to see who can raise the most money for a trans charity.

Some fellow cis streamers/Youtubers or streamer-adjacent Twitter people have been supportive of that while also defending their choice to play HL, but he's rightfully gotten pushback from trans people. Some cis people (like Hasan's editor ofc) joked around & made memes about how without him streaming the game, there wouldn't be any money going to trans charities from streamers or their fans, so they should absolutely stream it & people shouldn't criticize him. It's just so damn tone deaf.

They could hold charity streams for trans people literally any time they wanted while playing whatever the fuck they want, but no, of course they can only do it while buying & playing the game that supports the violent TERF who literally sees people buying the game & playing it as support for her transphobia no matter their actual opinions. Literally nothing is stopping them from instead of buying & playing HL, playing games that feature or are made by trans people. Many of which are very heartfelt indie games. You could also invite trans friends (if they have any lol) or creatives & activists to have them talk about the ongoing issues surrounding trans people in our society.

I don't expect anything from Hasan anyway - or any other cis streamers for that matter -, but you'd think that they'd at least think twice about doing this or listen to trans people instead of a sea of other cis people who'll kiss their asses either way. Like, of course we know people will buy HL either way, but why is fucking signal boosting it & sending JKR your support in one way or another the only damn way you can raise money for trans people? It's just so fucking stupid & not at all thought-out.

I dunno, maybe the non-binary & binary trans people I'm friends with & follow are too militant like me, but I'm just so sick of cis people literally not using more than one braincell when it comes to fucking TERF Legacy. You wouldn't hold a charity mukbang stream in which you buy everything Chick-Fil-A has on the menu, but then have people donate to an LGBT+ charity, so why the fuck would you think this stream is a good idea? lmao. Not even going into how this whole thing would just massively boost HL on Twitch which is just more free publicity for JKR, because we all know most people wouldn't even just think about her transphobia twice considering how little the general public cares about transphobia. And as much as I'd love to be wrong, I very much doubt some Twitch streamers holding trans-supportive fundraisers while playing HL would get even remotely as many eyes on them from the general public as they think. Especially not when it's people who've been transphobic &/or dismissive of trans people in the past lmao.

It'd be funny if it wasn't so sad that he's the same streamer who was utterly dismissive & an absolute asshole towards trans people both on his stream & here on Era when people kindly pointed out Kyuuji's thread about Cyberpunk's transphobic shit in & outside of the game when the game released & he defended his choice of playing it.

Putting some tweets under a spoiler tag, because I feel like I'm already shtting this thread up enough with my post alone ;w;

I'll put this (long-ish) thread out of it though as I think it's pretty good & goes into the hypocrisy & whataboutism & all people love throwing around.

View: https://twitter.com/LuciaEverblack/status/1615718252197330945

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Hasan supposedly (unless he ends up reconsidering after the backlash he's got from trans people, but having seen how pissed he gets after getting criticized, I honestly doubt it & feel like he'd just double down) plans to stream TERF Legacy while competing with other fellow streamers who'll also stream it to see who can raise the most money for a trans charity.

Some fellow cis streamers/Youtubers or streamer-adjacent Twitter people have been supportive of that while also defending their choice to play HL, but he's rightfully gotten pushback from trans people. Some cis people (like Hasan's editor ofc) joked around & made memes about how without him streaming the game, there wouldn't be any money going to trans charities from streamers or their fans, so they should absolutely stream it & people shouldn't criticize him. It's just so damn tone deaf.

They could hold charity streams for trans people literally any time they wanted while playing whatever the fuck they want, but no, of course they can only do it while buying & playing the game that supports the violent TERF who literally sees people buying the game & playing it as support for her transphobia no matter their actual opinions. Literally nothing is stopping them from instead of buying & playing HL, playing games that feature or are made by trans people. Many of which are very heartfelt indie games. You could also invite trans friends (if they have any lol) or creatives & activists to have them talk about the ongoing issues surrounding trans people in our society.

I don't expect anything from Hasan anyway - or any other cis streamers for that matter -, but you'd think that they'd at least think twice about doing this or listen to trans people instead of a sea of other cis people who'll kiss their asses either way. Like, of course we know people will buy HL either way, but why is fucking signal boosting it & sending JKR your support in one way or another the only damn way you can raise money for trans people? It's just so fucking stupid & not at all thought-out.

I dunno, maybe the non-binary & binary trans people I'm friends with & follow are too militant like me, but I'm just so sick of cis people literally not using more than one braincell when it comes to fucking TERF Legacy. You wouldn't hold a charity mukbang stream in which you buy everything Chick-Fil-A has on the menu, but then have people donate to an LGBT+ charity, so why the fuck would you think this stream is a good idea? lmao. Not even going into how this whole thing would just massively boost HL on Twitch which is just more free publicity for JKR, because we all know most people wouldn't even just think about her transphobia twice considering how little the general public cares about transphobia. And as much as I'd love to be wrong, I very much doubt some Twitch streamers holding trans-supportive fundraisers while playing HL would get even remotely as many eyes on them from the general public as they think. Especially not when it's people who've been transphobic &/or dismissive of trans people in the past lmao.

It'd be funny if it wasn't so sad that he's the same streamer who was utterly dismissive & an absolute asshole towards trans people both on his stream & here on Era when people kindly pointed out Kyuuji's thread about Cyberpunk's transphobic shit in & outside of the game when the game released & he defended his choice of playing it.

Putting some tweets under a spoiler tag, because I feel like I'm already shtting this thread up enough with my post alone ;w;

I'll put this (long-ish) thread out of it though as I think it's pretty good & goes into the hypocrisy & whataboutism & all people love throwing around.

Church.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Preach Patsy.

Deliberately playing Hogwarts Legacy while raising money for trans charities in order to make a point is weird. His response and actions make it clear that it's something aimed at people taking issue with the game, as opposed to Rowling, so it comes across as a middle finger. With his size and audience he could play, or do, almost anything else and raise similar amounts for said trans charities. He could make a point of not playing Hogwarts and use the airtime to raise awareness on what Rowling has done with the influence the IP affords her. He could use it to, you know, actually influence people on why people are taking a stand against Harry Potter. Does he have enough brain cells to understand that Rowling herself sparked a harassment campaign against a trans charity that forced it to limit its own services?

It just comes across as someone trying to be smart with it so they become the overarching voice on the matter. Typical cis man shit.

Last edited:

lokiduck

The Fallen
Mar 27, 2019
Washington
Wow... what the fuck. Def agree with everyone that this charity stream idea is a bullshit idea. You can play literally any other game. I mean hbomb did that with DK, so why do you specifically need to play a game that funds JK.

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
Preach Patsy. Playing HL while raising money for trans charities just seems like a deliberate middle finger to anyone with issues around Rowling and the game. With his size and audience he could play, or do, almost anything else and raise similar amounts for said trans charities. He could make a point of not playing Hogwarts and use the airtime to raise awareness on what Rowling has done with the influence the IP affords her. He could use it to, you know, actually influence people on why people are taking a stand against Harry Potter. Instead it just comes across as a cis man trying to be smart with it for the sake of what, having a cis man be the overarching voice on the matter?

Exactly! Shit like this is why it's so grating when his fans call him an "ally", most of which are his fellow cis people. Not being a violent transphobe & sometimes pushing back at the vilest of the vile is the bare fucking minimum & shouldn't be celebrated by people transphobia doesn't even impact.

Wow... what the fuck. Def agree with everyone that this charity stream idea is a bullshit idea. You can play literally any other game. I mean hbomb did that with DK, so why do you specifically need to play a game that funds JK.

Some people brought up hbomb's stream as well & his editor & others were also weirdly dismissive of it. Like "it's not the same", that "doing it with the hogwarts game will make it more succesful than doing it with a different game" & whatnot. It's just such a strange hill to die on.

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
The point is that "WELL, YOUR PHONE IS MADE IN A SWEAT SHOP" is not the gotcha some people think it is when there are very few alternative options someone can use to participate in modern society. Virtually all tech hardware is manufactured in that regard. It is an unfortunate cost of existing in the modern world.

Meanwhile, this video game is easily skippable. We don't need to play it, nobody needs to play it. There are hundreds of alternative games one could spend their money on. So people laughing off the Hogwarts Legacy boycotts with "WELL YOU HAVE A CELL PHONE" is just a silly attempt at a gotcha.

Yep. It's not like we even have to be discussing "necessities" here. Video game consoles are not a necessity, but giving them up entirely due to how the chips are sourced is a fuck of a lot more difficult and shitty than simply giving up one franchise, especially when most of the modern Wizarding products suck anyway. Cell phones? No comparison.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To put it bluntly, he wants to play the game and feel good about it. Since he can't just write off the criticisms of the work like he could with Cyberpunk, he's doing this. The charity is secondary, this is about him first and foremost.

Majin Boo

Oct 26, 2017
So I went from buying Hogwarts Legacy on Day1 to buying it used to not buying it at all as my knowledge about all of Rowlings bs increased. While I am sure the game will sell insanely well despite everything, I am very curious how review outlets, influencers and streamers will act.
A popular German streamer did a 6 hour stream about J.K. Rowling and why people should boycott the game a few days ago and most viewers were quite supportive. I expect that her effort alone will have quite an impact on the number of German streamers streaming the game due to how close-knit the German streamer community is.

May 26, 2018

Basically the dude's a human rights arms dealer.

Dec 2, 2017
So I went from buying Hogwarts Legacy on Day1 to buying it used to not buying it at all as my knowledge about all of Rowlings bs increased. While I am sure the game will sell insanely well despite everything, I am very curious how review outlets, influencers and streamers will act.
A popular German streamer did a 6 hour stream about J.K. Rowling and why people should boycott the game a few days ago and most viewers were quite supportive. I expect that her effort alone will have quite an impact on the number of German streamers streaming the game due to how close-knit the German streamer community is.
One of my favourite channels triple jump isn't covering the game due to Rowling's transphobia I'm pretty sure they said, which is great. (them not covering the game not Rowling)

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
To put it bluntly, he wants to play the game and feel good about it. Since he can't just write off the criticisms of the work like he could with Cyberpunk, he's doing this. The charity is secondary, this is about him first and foremost.
Pretty much. Hasan will jump through whatever mental hoops he needs to to keep consuming the things he likes to consume. Whether it's CP2077, Chik-Fil-A, or Hogwart's Legacy.

I tune into the guy quite a bit but he's a clown whenever it involves even considering changing his own behavior.

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany

Ohh, would you mind telling me who it was? :0 I don't really follow/know of any besides the Hooked guys & Reved as fsr I just never seek out German streamers, but I'd love to follow more, especially one who's supportive with an equally not-supremely-dogshit chat!

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pretty much. Hasan will jump through whatever mental hoops he needs to to keep consuming the things he likes to consume. Whether it's CP2077, Chik-Fil-A, or Hogwart's Legacy.

I tune into the guy quite a bit but he's a clown whenever it involves even considering changing his own behavior.
This is pretty much where I stand on it. I consider him an ally.... Who doesn't wanna actually do anything. Like to me I personally do view cyberpunk differently than many people like me. I view the game with mostly incompetency rather than malice with what I'm sure the attitude was "we don't need to say anything we have a trans character that's enough support". Harry Potter tho is actual malice, JK Rowling has done so much harm it's not even debatable.

Like yeah I get it it doesn't really affect her pocket book much either case, but by keeping the brand active and alive you are giving it more power. When you support Harry Potter you keep it culturally relevant, rather than let it die or fall off. Enders game is a dead series but imagine if a game came out today and it was hotly anticipated. Well now people are gonna be paying more attention to Orson Scott Card

Majin Boo

Oct 26, 2017
Ohh, would you mind telling me who it was? :0 I don't really follow/know of any besides the Hooked guys & Reved as fsr I just never seek out German streamers, but I'd love to follow more, especially one who's supportive with an equally not-supremely-dogshit chat!

Sure thing, it was Shurjoka and the respective stream was three days ago (not sure if links are allowed), she really showed no mercy to people in chat who were supremely-dogshit. I just realized there was another stream 6 days ago where she apparently talked about Rowling as well, but I missed that one, will watch it tomorrow if I find the time.

Edit: Here's the link, thank you Kyuuji :) : https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1709111529

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty much where I stand on it. I consider him an ally.... Who doesn't wanna actually do anything. Like to me I personally do view cyberpunk differently than many people like me. I view the game with mostly incompetency rather than malice with what I'm sure the attitude was "we don't need to say anything we have a trans character that's enough support". Harry Potter tho is actual malice, JK Rowling has done so much harm it's not even debatable.

Like yeah I get it it doesn't really affect her pocket book much either case, but by keeping the brand active and alive you are giving it more power. When you support Harry Potter you keep it culturally relevant, rather than let it die or fall off. Enders game is a dead series but imagine if a game came out today and it was hotly anticipated. Well now people are gonna be paying more attention to Orson Scott Card

I'll be honest - an ally who doesn't actually want to do anything isn't an ally. They're an acquaintance at best.

OP
OP
Kyuuji

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I'll be honest - an ally who doesn't actually want to do anything isn't an ally. They're an acquaintance at best.
Preach.

Sure thing, it was Shurjoka and the respective stream was three days ago (not sure if links are allowed), she really showed no mercy to people in chat who were supremely-dogshit. I just realized there was another stream 6 days ago where she apparently talked about Rowling as well, but I missed that one, will watch it tomorrow if I find the time.
Definitely drop a link for any people who know German that might be browsing. It's really cool she took a stand on it and can potentially influence others in the community.

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany

Edit: Here's the link, thank you Kyuuji :) : https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1709111529

Aww, thank you so much! I'll definitely watch it tomorrow.. or maybe watch a bit of it before going to sleep to feel good. :3

Lucini

Oct 27, 2017

I want to add to this, an ally who wants for someone else to do the education piece or relies on people within the community to do the emotional labor associated with teaching...they need to also look inward at what they're asking.

It took a good amount of time before I started to see who the right people to listen to were. I didn't want to push that burden of learning off on anyone else -- that's not a good look when people do it to any community, especially marginalized communities. Something that I wanted to do was connect with mutual aid funds/programs to get them connected with my employers giving network, because they match our donations 1:1 and a few times a year at 2:1. After a fair bit of back and forth and hoops, we got the National Center for Transgender Equality connected a few years ago now and also the Transgender Law Center. I want to encourage cis allies to seek out ways to directly be advocates because it really is not that difficult.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I want to add to this, an ally who wants for someone else to do the education piece or relies on people within the community to do the emotional labor associated with teaching...they need to also look inward at what they're asking.

It took a good amount of time before I started to see who the right people to listen to were. I didn't want to push that burden of learning off on anyone else -- that's not a good look when people do it to any community, especially marginalized communities. Something that I wanted to do was connect with mutual aid funds/programs to get them connected with my employers giving network, because they match our donations 1:1 and a few times a year at 2:1. After a fair bit of back and forth and hoops, we got the National Center for Transgender Equality connected a few years ago now and also the Transgender Law Center. I want to encourage cis allies to seek out ways to directly be advocates because it really is not that difficult.

Actions speak louder than words. Someone who considers themselves an "ally", but is unwilling to take any action at all isn't an ally, as PlanetSmasher noted. I wouldn't even consider them an acquaintance - just a hypocrite. But I suspect lots of people think "allyship" means going and protesting directly at events, when there's so much more than can be done. All it takes is speaking up at the right time. Or being willing to lend an ear and help out when trans people need it.

Last edited:

Lucini

Oct 27, 2017
Actions speak louder than words. Someone who considers themselves an "ally", but is unwilling to take any action at all isn't an ally, as @PlanetSmasher noted. I wouldn't even consider them an acquaintance - just a hypocrite.

Something that really killed me as I got to adulthood, I had a really good friend throughout elementary school and high school who was put out of his house for coming out as gay. I did not know in the slightest, as his dad was an abusive jackass (also a pastor) towards him in normal times and I'm sure contributed to his intense closeting. Unlearning the "othering" and that bullshit was hard, but I realized that he never came out to any of his closest male friends because we were not safe to him. That's not going to happen again, I won't make someone feel like that again. He directly inspired me to be a better person and a better ally. The way I see it, if I'm not using whatever privilege I have and whatever resources I can muster to make this world less shitty...then why am I calling myself anything at all, least of all an ally.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Something that really killed me as I got to adulthood, I had a really good friend throughout elementary school and high school who was put out of his house for coming out as gay. I did not know in the slightest, as his dad was an abusive jackass (also a pastor) towards him in normal times and I'm sure contributed to his intense closeting. Unlearning the "othering" and that bullshit was hard, but I realized that he never came out to any of his closest male friends because we were not safe to him. That's not going to happen again, I won't make someone feel like that again. He directly inspired me to be a better person and a better ally. The way I see it, if I'm not using whatever privilege I have and whatever resources I can muster to make this world less shitty...then why am I calling myself anything at all, least of all an ally.

Something to keep in mind too is that in the 90s and 2000s, bigotry regarding LGBTQ people was very commonplace. It's not surprising that someone might not come out, even if their friends would otherwise be great allies. I myself stayed closeted as a trans person for a very long time, and only really came out when it became a matter of transitioning or death. So on one hand, I appreciate the fact that you've done what you can be a better person and a better ally. That means a lot to LGBTQ folks. But on the other hand, I wouldn't judge yourself so harshly for a period where bigotry was so rampant. All of us have our blind spots too anyhow.