• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Taken from an article on DC from the new DCU announcements today:

Gunn: It's not like we're going to have the Superman movie come out and have this Superman game come out. It's more like we'll have the Superman film come out, then maybe two years later, we have the Supergirl movie coming out. So, what's the story in between there? Is there a Krypto game that we can play that comes in between them? Something that's still set in the world with these characters, but is its own thing. We want to give the prominence to games that they deserve.

It sounds like these games won't be reminiscent of the rehashed movie tie ins we've gotten before, which is a good thing.

With all the new movie/tv announcements, what would y'all like to see from them?

EDIT: Also, as chairhome pointed out, all things outside the DCU will be labeled as DC Elseworlds (The Batman, The Joker, etc) which leaves the door open for more isolated titles like Arkham and potentially the upcoming Wonder Woman game.

Last edited:

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
One other thing to note is that anything not pertaining to their connected DCU will be labeled as DC Elseworlds. So things like Suicide Squad might carry that label

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Taken from an article on DC from the new DCU announcements today:

It sounds like these games won't be reminiscent of the rehashed movie tie ins we've gotten before, which is a good thing.

With all the new movie/tv announcements, what would y'all like to see from them?

With game development being volatile as it is good luck with that.

Vaenyr

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 16, 2019
So, basically telling stories that are probably a bit smaller in scope compared to the movies and that happen between the bigger events. Sounds like a great way to approach this.

Abuguet

Apr 23, 2019
Sounds like videogames are getting the scraps.

You'll get to see Superman on the big screen and then you'll get to play as his dog while you wait for the Supergirl big screen sequel.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Honestly, I think tying games into the continuity of future films is a step too far. Just trying to get the dec cycles of games and films lined up sounds like a nightmare, never mind the creative restrictions it would put on devs.

I feel the same way about how Star Wars games have to line up with the films now. Just let games be their own thing.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
That's the natural answer considering trying to balance movies and games would be a nightmare. Basically if they are to connect, fill in gaps that you know the films will never touch/care about.

Oct 27, 2017

You'll get to see Superman on the big screen and then you'll get to play as his dog while you wait for the Supergirl big screen sequel.

Yeah. I don't know if Gunn knows about modern video games, but that specific example makes me think he's picturing a mascot platformer or something!

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
So the next batman game is going to have Robert Pattinson as batman? Wouldn't this increase the budget of those games if they also have to sign a big Hollywood star for their voice and likeness? And what if the studio has to sign multiple stars? Like whoever plays the villains. Does this mean the next batman game aren't able to use any villains that hasn't appeared in any of the movies yet? This is a terrible idea, did they even think this through?

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Why don't games work like this?

These movies/shows are scheduled out for
10yrs. They could line up studios now to create the games.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is the one thing Gunn will not be able to sell me on

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019

Krypto rules but I chuckled (sensibly) at scraps. Nice wordplay.

And uh, you don't seem to be wrong.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why don't games work like this?

These movies/shows are scheduled out for
10yrs. They could line up studios now to create the games.

Because you either get an underwhelming stunted game narrative using side characters that varys wildly from the established character feats and visual representation or you spend huge amounts succoring actors likeness and make absolutely essential stories that movie viewers need to view

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
let's just skip this part, and fast forward two years to when this entire idea is abandoned. games work too differently and take too long, better off to keep them separate entirely.

OP
OP
est1992

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly that Krypto game sounds so specific I wouldn't be surprised if it's something they're actually trying to make.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Just let the games be their own damn thing, i don't wanna watch the Shazam reboot to understand the next Batman game.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds good, let the games stand on their own and still provide DC property content between the waits for films.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
This is going to be an interesting experiment for them...

The projects revealed here are mostly obscure properties like The Authority and Creature Commandos and then introducing a Batman with a Robin who is his Son and not Dick Grayson. There's a lot of pieces here that may or may not hit with the audience, and It's possible that these more obscure projects could determine the success of the DCU as a cinematic universe vs Elseworlds.

I suspect Elseworld stories moving forward will be the more popular projects, unless they manage to catch lightning in a bottle again with another Guardians like success. If the audience wants more traditional batman stories or mainstream names in the comic book space, this could potentially go sideways. I doubt they want Elseworld stories to be the more successful of the bunch.

Steamy Manatee

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 18, 2022
James Gunn worked on Lollipop Chainsaw, surely he knows big budget games take at least 5 years to develop?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like what Star Wars is doing with it's games in that they're clearly their own thing, but canon to the movie universe and stuff which debuts in games can make their way over to the big or small screens ala Fortress Inquisitorius first appearing in Jedi: Fallen Order and then showing up in Obi-Wan.

And hey, More DC games outside of Batman is a very good thing.

Listai

50¢ - "This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
DC looking at Enter the Matrix:

giphy.gif

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It always feels like these lofty media merging ideals run into the brick wall of the reality that it takes so many more years to develop a quality game.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I dont see the gaming thing panning out. It could be cool, but I doubt they will get the timing right and doubt they will ever crossover with the movies or shows in any meaningful way.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Until Zaslav decides one day, you know we need to sell the game division.

I'm sure the developers will love, hey going to cook up this for inbetween this, kthxbye.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Yup, and honestly my favorite things from the Star Wars franchise in the last 20 years have mostly been the video games, so I'm not particularly worried.

I'm more worried by the current state of most DC games at the moment. Gotham Knights seems like a miss, Suicide Squad needs to do some work before release to convince people it's good, Wonder Woman we haven't seen anything about, and besides the LEGO Batman games there isn't all that much else.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Hopefully most games will be "elseworlds" then as I find that a lot more interesting isntead of linking them to the "connected movie universe". It just feels so limiting.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
Setting the games in between films instead of rushing to meet the release window of them is better, sure, but they will still be limited by whats happening within the DCU. Theres going to be established cannon they have to follow, characters they can't use, etc

If they want to expand more into games fine, but Id like to see WB license their IP out like Marvel does, so there can still be a decent amount of projects that will standalone.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I still think this is a bad idea for anything but smaller scope titles. The difference in development time between a AAA video game and a movie or TV show is just too wide, and the last thing these games need is mandates or changes in direction coming from higher ups because plans changed in another medium. It's a recipe for disaster and is guaranteed to end up in unnecessary constraints at best, and wasted work along with a poorer (and probably rushed) product at worst.