Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Whatever. Biden had to replace his Secret Service detail after the election over fears some agents were Trump loyalists. I don't expect Trump's chosen guys to confirm they were "assaulted" by a 74 year old man.

www.theguardian.com

Joe Biden to have new Secret Service team amid concern about Trump loyalty

Agents familiar from time as vice-president to return, with some members of detail having reportedly discouraged mask-wearing
The reporting in that article is really lopsided. The change in the USSS detail was totally normal.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Let's get the driver under oath and ask him what he heard that day from Trump and how mad he was that he didn't get to go to the capitol building.

The real question. Either Trump was lying to his rally that he was actually going to the Capitol or...he really did want to go.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
I do find it hilarious that he gets a hamburger like a pacifier and like a baby sometimes it just doesn't work and puts ketchup on the wall throwing it. 😂

White House kitchen firing up the burners for the hamburger as the message comes through POTUS is grumpy. I mean fucking hell, how many times did they have to shove a burger in his mouth to pacify him.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
The reporting in that article is really lopsided. The change in the USSS detail was totally normal.

Some members of the president's detail reportedly urged their colleagues not to wear masks during trips, for example – despite the federal government's official guidance on Covid-19 – as Trump himself disparaged mask-wearing and held out for months before being seen wearing one in public.

In what was described as an "unprecedented" move, the Secret Service had permitted former detail leader Anthony Ornato to temporarily leave his role and serve as White House deputy chief of staff.

Ornato was among the coordinators of the June photo op for which Trump marched through Washington DC's Lafayette Square to stand with a Bible – after peaceful protesters were forced from the area by troops on federal order, sparking uproar in political circles as well as among the public.

Ornato also assisted in the planning of many Trump campaign rallies even as Covid-19 tore through the US and gatherings were being discouraged or banned outright. In addition to members of the public, many Secret Service members contracted coronavirus or were exposed.

The Secret Service is sus as hell.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017

But I can just see these people just lie under oath to protect their "hero" if it's their word against hers.

They were under oath when they talked to the committee, right? So if they told the committee one thing, and then say something different under oath elsewhere, they'd just be perjuring themselves.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
The Secret Service is sus as hell.
The USSS's job is to protect the President. If wearing masks interferes with their relationship with their subject, they won't wear masks.

As for Ornato, he's one guy that, from those excepts…did the job a deputy chief of staff would be expected to do.

None of that means "the whole USSS can't be trusted to tell the truth."

You are jumping to conclusions based on nothing. The USSS hasn't even commented on this yet, and even if they dispute this account, standing in opposition to that would be one third-hand story.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this will be enough for the maga crowd to disregard the whole thing today, not that they were going to be convinced anyway
Honestly, who gives a shit about the brainwashed?

These hearings are about getting the truth out there and hopefully some indictments, convictions.

That said...I want elected officials that act like the brainwashed to be held accountable. MGT, Hawley, Cruz, etc.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
I see no reason to put any belief into Peter Alexander's tweet until it is substantiated, and it's weird how many people take it at face value. For all we know this is just the first step in muddying the narrative - feed the media mixed reports and dilute the truth enough that the public can't have a consensus. Propaganda 101. Just wait and see.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
I see no reason to put any belief into Peter Alexander's tweet until it is substantiated, and it's weird how many people take it at face value. For all we know this is just the first step in muddying the narrative - feed the media mixed reports and dilute the truth enough that the public can't have a consensus. Propaganda 101. Just wait and see.

The Communications Director for the SS has released a statement pretty much implying that the agents involved will testify that nothing happened in the SUV. Not a super great development.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
The USSS's job is to protect the President. If wearing masks interferes with their relationship with their subject, they won't wear masks.

As for Ornato, he's one guy that, from those excepts…did the job a deputy chief of staff would be expected to do.

None of that means "the whole USSS can't be trusted to tell the truth."

You are jumping to conclusions based on nothing. The USSS hasn't even commented on this yet, and even if they dispute this account, standing in opposition to that would be one third-hand story.

Yeah, their job is to PROTECT the President, not be his buddy. And wearing a mask to protect the president from an infectious disease falls within that remit.

And after the long list of scandals and fuck ups during the Obama years, the Secret Service haven't earned my faith in their professionalism.

www.nbcnews.com

Long List of Breaches and Scandals for Secret Service Under Obama

The embarrassments have continued under two directors.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
I mean some of the most damning testimony today can likely be backed up by text messages or other witnesses. The car stuff seemed very much like secondary - it was just all completely new. I mean we already had a pretty good idea that Trump wasn't actually trying to downplay or call off the insurrection lol.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
The Communications Director for the SS has released a statement pretty much implying that the agents involved will testify that nothing happened in the SUV. Not a super great development.

This? This doesn't read as a statement on the veracity of the statement to me, just a confirmation that they will continue to corroborate with the investigation. Responding on the record to the allegations could just as easily be saying "true, that did happen."

It's obviously the least important part of the story, anyway, but the narrative will run wild against her testimony in conservative/conservative adjacent circles if they find any "mistruth" (nevermind that it's hearsay and only one person can confirm whether or not they said this to her, that's the only point where her truthfulness to the event matters). Knowing how the conservative playbook will go, I still see no reason to concede anything to that narrative without proof or until the story is developed beyond vague shadowy statements of sources or statements that the USSS will respond to allegations.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, their job is to PROTECT the President, not be his buddy. And wearing a mask to protect the president from an infectious disease falls within that remit.

And after the long list of scandals and fuck ups during the Obama years, the Secret Service haven't earned my faith in their professionalism.

www.nbcnews.com

Long List of Breaches and Scandals for Secret Service Under Obama

The embarrassments have continued under two directors.
This is grasping at straws. You want to believe this story because it makes Trump look bad, and I totally get that desire. I'm inclined to believe it as well. But "if the USSS denies it they must be lying" is not a reasonable position to jump to based on the information we have.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
This is grasping at straws. You want to believe this story because it makes Trump look bad, and I totally get that desire. But "if the USSS denies it they must be lying" is not a reasonable position to jump to based on the information we have.

You're right, we don't have all the information. And you're free to take the Secret Service at their word, but I won't. And I'm not going to feed this insidious meme that everything hinges on this piece of the testimony.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK

This? This doesn't read as a statement on the veracity of the statement to me, just a confirmation that they will continue to corroborate with the investigation.

Yes, that. It's PR speak for: "this didn't happen and our agents will testify as such." Think about the timing of the release and the language. The use of the word "allegations" to describe her testimony. They're going to refute the account of what she was told.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
The hearings have up until this point been running flawlessly. So, of course, all it would take is one stupid monkey wrench to keep people's eyes off the ball (people in general, not this board).

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
If you get SS agents confirming under oath that he was big mad and wanted to go to the capital, even if they don't corroborate that he assaulted them, that's a net win if the goal is prosecution.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
To us but if folks come out refuting her story, which she very likely did not lie about, then it might put cold water onto the whole committee for them.

It's possible they hadn't gotten all the ducks in a row on this first because they had to move up her hearing date due to the safety concerns. But it would be hard for me to imagine that they don't have some kind of ironclad secondary evidence to back up what she's saying. I don't think the serious lawyer types on the committee would let that fly.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
It's going to suck if this one thing wasn't true. Sounded too over the top to believe even for Trump when I heard it. Will taint the entire thing

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
It's possible they hadn't gotten all the ducks in a row on this first because they had to move up her hearing date due to the safety concerns. But it would be hard for me to imagine that they don't have some kind of ironclad secondary evidence to back up what she's saying. I don't think the serious lawyers types on the committee would let that fly.

Agreed. I don't think she's lying in the slightest.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Can I just say I fucking hate this world we live in where a guy can go up on stage in front of the entire fucking country and say "I love you. You're very special" to a violent coup attempt but some he-said-she-said bullshit about whether he grabbed at a steering wheel matters to literally anyone

Z Y

Oct 27, 2017
She said what she said under oath.

All of these people claiming it is untrue will have to do the same if they expect to have any credibility. Until they do, it's a non-story.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017

The story's sourcing is sketchy to begin with, and, as others have said, those agents already spoke to the committee.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
She said what she said under oath.

All of these people claiming it is untrue will have to do the same if they expect to have any credibility. Until they do, it's a non-story.
This. Of course people are gonna refute what she said. Conservatives aren't just like aw damn, you libs were right. But until we get another hearing it's all nothing. Ornato come on down.

Oct 27, 2017
Way too much fixation on this part of her testimony....

Engel was shook and didn't talk at all. Ornato was acting out parts of what he said Engel told/showed him so it doesn't really matter what was purely said. Nobody claimed assault. A reach to the wheel is ambiguous. Nobody has said the president wasn't irate that he couldn't go to the capitol.

Ablacious

Dec 23, 2018
Weird. Do you think the committee would place and then step on their landmine here? They've interviewed all the people involved and the process has felt deliberate.