• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Oct 26, 2017
But if what's in this Tweet were true, it would discredit everything we heard today and would constitute an enormous gaffe by the committee.

How would this discredit everything? She specifically said that was a second-hand account. She didn't say it did happen, she said she was told this happened and neither party had yet disputed it. But she clearly qualified that she didn't observe this behavior first hand. If the SS agents wants to testify under oath the story had been exaggerated, they're welcome to do that.

As I said earlier, "Grabbing the wheel" certainly makes a salacious headline but it isn't the most damning or consequential thing we learned. Trump's apparent pre-knowledge of violent people with weapons and armor and wanting them to head to the capitol because they weren't going to hurt him and wanting the MAGS removed is the most damning thing we learned today and hasn't been disputed yet. And even with the SUV ride, no one is disputing that Trump was upset and wanted to goto the capitol, which is the important part. The supposed physical altercation just adds color to the situation but it's not exonerating if it turns out there wasn't a physical altercation.

But most importantly we've moved past the point where "media narratives" even matter. That's what conservatives don't understand now. They can try to grasp at certain straws to try to keep the wool over their followers eyes, but things are REAL now where the DoJ is investigating the main players. So just because Jim Jordan or Sean Hannity says it's a "nothing burger" that's not going to stop the DoJ from going into Mark Meadow's shit. These hearings and especially today has established legitimate pretext for EVERYONE in the President's circle to be under a criminal investigation by the DoJ. And the DoJ's case wouldn't hinge on whether Trump grabbed a steering wheel or not.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering all of the threats any person testifying had received prior, and all of the rhetoric from POTUS at the time, this is kind of a thin argument.

And they didn't have time to organize corroborating evidence? So you're telling me they are going off half cocked? Organize the evidence, and present it so no one can refute her testimony. You don't just get her testimony, present it and then figure out the facts later. They had plenty of time to verify her claims beforehand.

Edit: Maybe I'm not understanding your POV entirely. If you see things differently from that can you explain so I have a better understanding of your position?
I think they've 100% vetted her information. We know that this hearing was unscheduled and was pushed forward due to security concerns about the witness. The committee also shared that they've been dealing with similar cases of witness tampering. So clearly there was a deadline with receiving this public testimony.

Normally when the committee has presented testimony in hearings, they have also presented additional evidence to corroborate that testimony. We've seen instances where there are interviews with other corroborating witnesses, text message exchanges, surveillance footage, and even the witnesses own words from private depositions.

The committee did present footage from Hutchinson's private depositions, and there was at least one instance of contemporaneous notes, but other types of corroborating evidence seemed to be lacking in this session. For example, you might expect an incident report from the SUV event. Or perhaps deposition footage from Ornato or Engel.

I think it's important to remember that the committee is interviewing witnesses with different levels of participation and constraints. Some witnesses are volunteering, some are being compelled by subpoenas, some have challenged their subpoenas and have been charged with contempt, others have been exempt from contempt charges due to executive privilege or client-attorney privilege. I don't know if Engel or Ornato were compelled to testify, but I think it's normal for SS to be covered by executive privilege. It could be that they had conditions on their testimony.

A lot of the topics that were covered today invovle witnesses that are have very little collaboration with the committee, including Pat Cipollone and Mark Meadows. I believe they both provided testimony off the record, and Meadows provided documents with conditions.

It could be that some witness testimony or evidence cannot be released publicly because it is being used in active investigations by the DOJ or state attorneys. We know that the DOJ has been reaching out to open an information channel with the House committee, and since this testimony was unplanned there might be evidence they can no longer share publicly.

We know that this hearing was spurred by new evidence. It could be that there was supporting evidence that still needs to run through legal channels to be shared publicly, but the constraints of the witness testimony might have pressured them to move forward without being able to present that evidence. And remember, they aren't just trying to keep Hutchinson testifying publicly, they want to get to Meadows and Cipollone while the fire is hot. And maybe there's some internal politics with that.

I know that's a lot, but I hope it explains what I was thinking.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
some of what she described sounds like very clear tampering. are they still set on not bringing this to the DOJ?

Taurus Silver

Big ol' Nerd
Oct 29, 2017
I think they've 100% vetted her information. We know that this hearing was unscheduled and was pushed forward due to security concerns about the witness. The committee also shared that they've been dealing with similar cases of witness tampering. So clearly there was a deadline with receiving this public testimony.

Normally when the committee has presented testimony in hearings, they have also presented additional evidence to corroborate that testimony. We've seen instances where there are interviews with other corroborating witnesses, text message exchanges, surveillance footage, and even the witnesses own words from private depositions.

The committee did present footage from Hutchinson's private depositions, and there was at least one instance of contemporaneous notes, but other types of corroborating evidence seemed to be lacking in this session. For example, you might expect an incident report from the SUV event. Or perhaps deposition footage from Ornato or Engel.

I think it's important to remember that the committee is interviewing witnesses with different levels of participation and constraints. Some witnesses are volunteering, some are being compelled by subpoenas, some have challenged their subpoenas and have been charged with contempt, others have been exempt from contempt charges due to executive privilege or client-attorney privilege. I don't know if Engel or Ornato were compelled to testify, but I think it's normal for SS to be covered by executive privilege. It could be that they had conditions on their testimony.

A lot of the topics that were covered today invovle witnesses that are have very little collaboration with the committee, including Pat Cipollone and Mark Meadows. I believe they both provided testimony off the record, and Meadows provided documents with conditions.

It could be that some witness testimony or evidence cannot be released publicly because it is being used in active investigations by the DOJ or state attorneys. We know that the DOJ has been reaching out to open an information channel with the House committee, and since this testimony was unplanned there might be evidence they can no longer share publicly.

We know that this hearing was spurred by new evidence. It could be that there was supporting evidence that still needs to run through legal channels to be shared publicly, but the constraints of the witness testimony might have pressured them to move forward without being able to present that evidence. And remember, they aren't just trying to keep Hutchinson testifying publicly, they want to get to Meadows and Cipollone while the fire is hot. And maybe there's some internal politics with that.

I know that's a lot, but I hope it explains what I was thinking.

It does explain your thinking and I appreciate the reply. I hope you don't think I was trolling you or anything, just a difference of opinion on things is all.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
So all Mark Meadows did on Jan 6th was sit on his phone and doomscroll all day

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
Trump's insanity and planning on January 6th includes the weapons. That goes to his intent. He knew they were armed and he was going to send them to the capitol. Because he helped plan this shit. It wasn't a spontaneous event like they've been claiming for the last two years.

Please remember that the woman who testified today is the same woman who had her attorney paid for by Trump and them up until a few weeks ago when the hearings started. She dropped the lawyer at that point. Something she saw obviously spooked her and we've seen examples of what looks like witness tampering going on with people brought to the select committee. It's not hard to see why they'd try to get her testimony out there ASAP.

Also, source is saying the secret service said this woman is lying is obviously John Barron.

I read up on her already. All this USSS stuff is just noise.

Trump and company denied knowing the crowd was armed until today so I guess this steering wheel tidbit is all they have.

The witness tampering isn't surprising since Trump and company did it during the Ukraine scandal and impeachment.. Hope there are some consequences this time.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
To be fair, that's what I did too, and I also had a fantastic view of the Capitol from my old apartment in Navy Yard that day.

I never thought I'd have something in common with Mark Meadows. I feel gross now.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
How would this discredit everything? She specifically said that was a second-hand account.

The USSS is explicitly saying that not only is the story she recounted inaccurate, but that Ornato never told her that story. If he and the driver actually testify under oath and say as much (even though we on this board know Ornato is a jackhole) it creates a credibility issue for her as a witness. It puts the public and any potential jury/grand jury down the road in a position where they have to choose who to believe. Anyone that chooses the Secret Service account is unlikely to believe any of her testimony.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
The USSS is explicitly saying that not only is the story she recounted inaccurate, but that Ornato never told her that story. If he and the driver actually testify under oath and say as much (even though we on this board know Ornato is a jackhole) it creates a credibility issue for her as a witness. It puts the public and any potential jury/grand jury down the road in a position where they have to choose who to believe. Anyone that chooses the Secret Service account is unlikely to believe any of her testimony.
The USSS isn't saying anything yet.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you.

I was gonna say like some posters said, the mystery of the reach for the steering wheel is all deflection from the more meaty parts of today.

The witness tampering is huge.

Knowing about the weapons is fucking massive.
It absolutely is.
I read up on her already. All this USSS stuff is just noise.

Trump and company denied knowing the crowd was armed until today so I guess this steering wheel tidbit is all they have.

The witness tampering isn't surprising since Trump and company did it during the Ukraine scandal and impeachment.. Hope there are some consequences this time.
If absolutely is. I think we're saying the same thing here.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
The USSS is explicitly saying that not only is the story she recounted inaccurate, but that Ornato never told her that story.

Unless something changed just recently I'm not aware of, we only have an 'unnamed source 'close to' the secret service saying this' - in fact, the only thing it DOES say is that it's NOT yet been denied by Secret Service.

Decent-to-good (if not great) odds it's just FUD being spread from someone in the Trump camp going 'off the record', and even then they're hyper-focusing on the 'choking/grabbing the wheel' to try and tie the (potential) inaccuracy of the specifics of that statement and try to smear the whole other aspect of the testimony - that being that Trump knew there were weapons, didn't care, and wanted to go join the insurrectionists.

Oct 25, 2017
The USSS's statement is really vague on purpose. Saying it's explicit is... a choice.

FWYPSktUIAEwXOL

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I rest assured that the committee isn't allowing our asking anything they don't have receipts about.
Yeah they've been so sharp so far I doubt they'd slip up on something like this. Heck why allow a second hand statement without purpose. They must have something to back it up. Feels like bait too. Perhaps they're after Ornato too, and are setting up a trap for him.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Unless something changed just recently I'm not aware of, we only have an 'unnamed source 'close to' the secret service saying this' - in fact, the only thing it DOES say is that it's NOT yet been denied by Secret Service.
This hasn't changed. It may change, sure... but it absolutely hasn't yet. So until then, it should be treated as hearsay especially in comparison to someone who testified under oath.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
The USSS's statement is really vague on purpose. Saying it's explicit is... a choice.

FWYPSktUIAEwXOL

CNN's Ryan Nobles just led off Don Lemon's show by reporting, and I quote:

"The Secret Service is taking issue with at least one aspect of Cassidy Hutchinson's testimony and that's that story she told about the former president lashing out inside the presidential limo on January 6th. They say their agents are willing to testify to the committee under oath about what they experienced that day. They say it's different than what Hutchinson said. They also said those agents never told her that story."

He didn't say anything about an anonymous source and that seems pretty explicit to me, unless I just don't know what "explicit" means.

Also- regarding the above official statement, I don't find it vague at all. The use of the term "allegations" as a descriptor for her testimony makes it clear they view it in an adversarial light.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
The other thing you guys have to understand is Ornato is a Trump guy. He's been described as wanting to "please" the president rather than focus on what his job is. There were dudes on the USSS that were down with the insurrection. Carol Lennig reported on this in her latest book. Keep that in mind when you're hearing these reports as well. The focus really needs to be that Trump knew his supporters had weapons and he amped them up and sent them to the capital anyway.

amphteamints

Aug 21, 2018
Unfortunately, Milwaukee
The other thing you guys have to understand is Ornato is a Trump guy. He's been described as wanting to "please" the president rather than focus on what his job is. There were dudes on the USSS that were down with the insurrection. Carol Lennig reported on this in her latest book. Keep that in mind when you're hearing these reports as well. The focus really needs to be that Trump knew his supporters had weapons and he amped them up and sent them to the capital anyway.
they found one little possible inconsistency and now their narrative is going to be "liberal witch hunt we can't believe anything out of this false hearing so we're gonna run this into the ground until all the actual shit we did goes away."

Oct 25, 2017

"The Secret Service is taking issue with at least one aspect of Cassidy Hutchinson's testimony and that's that story she told about the former president lashing out inside the presidential limo on January 6th. They say their agents are willing to testify to the committee under oath about what they experienced that day. They say it's different than what Hutchinson said. They also said those agents never told her that story."

He didn't say anything about an anonymous source and that seems pretty explicit to me, unless I just don't know what "explicit" means.
Ryan Nobles' twitter has nothing. I can't find a single story written about this. Not on NY Times, Washington Post, hell, recent twitter tweets about USSS. Thanks for the air-tight testimony though.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
Ryan Nobles' twitter has nothing. I can't find a single story written about this. Not on NY Times, Washington Post, hell, recent twitter tweets about USSS. Thanks for the air-tight testimony though.

Things still exist outside the Twittersphere, believe it or not. I provided a word-for-word quote that appeared on air less than two hours ago. If there's inaccuracy there, it's on him/CNN, not me.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
Okeydoke. Looking at the frontpage of CNN.com and... nuffink. Thanks for your unerring service!

I mean, I'm sure correspondents say stuff on-air all the time that don't magically appear instantly on the website. The reason I provided his exact quote is because I have it on DVR. About 7 minutes into the 2nd hour of Don Lemon Tonight. Will re-air in a few hours if you're just infernally curious about it.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I'm sure correspondents say stuff on-air all the time that don't magically appear instantly on the website. The reason I provided his exact quote is because I have it on DVR. About 7 minutes into the 2nd hour of Don Lemon Tonight. Will re-air in a few hours if you're just infernally curious about it.
Not at all, thanks. If it is ever germane, or anyone breaks anything serious about it, I'll think of you, though.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Confronted my family on this bombshell Trump stuff, and they've heard Nothing about it. Looking at FOX News now, and literally not a single thing on their page about it while every single other news outlet is covering it.
That fucking "news" station needs to go. They are a serious threat to democracy in this country.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
Confronted my family on this bombshell Trump stuff, and they've heard Nothing about it. Looking at FOX News now, and literally not a single thing on their page about it while every single other news outlet is covering it.
That fucking "news" station needs to go. They are a serious threat to democracy in this country.

No way to do that if we want a free press, sadly. But I feel you. I've lost half my family to that evil empire as well.

PintSizedSlasher

The Wise Ones
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
For me it's really simple. Unless all other people involved in the wheel lunge story come and testify under oath and deny all that has been said, I'm believing the sole person that did testify under oath, putting herself and her family in harms way. All these tweets and stories about sources "close to" don't mean shit. Get these fuckers to raise their right hand and then we'll talk.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
my source, who is from this thread, is sourcing a twitter journalist who is sourcing someone close to the driver. i will testify under oath

julian

Oct 27, 2017
That bothered me throughout her whole testimony. I didn't understand what she meant. Was he just staring at headlines? Doing work on his phone? Communicating with people? In a fucking daze?

Also- regarding the above official statement, I don't find it vague at all. The use of the term "allegations" as a descriptor for her testimony makes it clear they view it in an adversarial light.
She never claimed USSS told her that story and "different" could be about any part of the story. It's a nothing statement dressed up to sound like a big deal without revealing anything specific. And the fact they add how they didn't tell her the story when she explicitly said they weren't the ones that told her the story just that they didn't dispute it when it was told to her should make you suspicious.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
She never claimed USSS told her that story and "different" could be about any part of the story. It's a nothing statement dressed up to sound like a big deal without revealing anything specific. And the fact they add how they didn't tell her the story when she explicitly said they weren't the ones that told her the story just that they didn't dispute it when it was told to her should make you suspicious.

Maybe I haven't done a good job of making this clear: I'm plenty suspicious about the USSS in this scenario. I was just providing context for why I said they're explicitly refuting her testimony: it was due to what I had literally just heard a CNN correspondent say on-air. That doesn't mean I believe what the USSS is claiming. I don't.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
Given that more evidence and people are coming forward as the House Committee hearings have been going on. I'm curious if her testimony today will encourage more to come forward with evidence and testimonies. Given her proximity to the events that occurred that day and level of clearance she had. I have to imagine others may consider loosening their lips.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I haven't done a good job of making this clear: I'm plenty suspicious about the USSS in this scenario. I was just providing context for why I said they're explicitly refuting her testimony: it was due to what I had literally just heard a CNN correspondent say on-air. That doesn't mean I believe what the USSS is claiming. I don't.
My point is that quote is not actually an explicit refutation of any important detail in her testimony.

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
Don't freak out about something she said she was told being denied by Trumpworld. If you freak out and going all "oh no, Fox has their gotcha now" you have been successfully conditioned. And I am sorry. I have a similar experience myself right now. Not a national scale, but court proceedings that I won, that the appellate court rejected on a technicality and told the first judge to redo it - the outcome should be the same, I know that intellectually, but I'm hugely distrustful of the court, everyone involved, my family and my whole future now (doesn't help that my Ex now thinks she can just deny me all visitations after the judge and CPS basically told her to STFU and do what I want initially).

So I get it. In the US of A powerful people and politicians never really faced consequences before unlike many other Western nations, so it feels like the smallest thing might throw this off. In truth, I'm unsure if your system will be strong enough to punish Trump and the other coup members. But it won't be this steering wheel story that makes or breaks the case. Especially not because someone told journalists "nuh-uh" outside any legal framework.

Oct 26, 2017
Also pay attention to this repeated pattern by Trump loyalist.

*Some scandal or mini-controversy breaks out*

Trumper: "That's not true! I will gladly testify under oath".

*Waits for news cycle to move on*

Trumper: "Actually I won't be testifying..."

Ginny Thomas literally just did this today. After claiming she would gladly testify, once the spotlight left, she quietly backtracks from testifying. It's the same old pattern. I'm sure Trump World was freaking out and had "anonymous" sources calling reporters to refute the story and then even saying they'll testify under oath, simply to dampen the impact of the negative headline.

So until all the main principles are testifying under oath, I'm not reading too much into the media spin game. Also wheel-gate is probably one of the least important revelations today. The only real relevant thing about that situation was that Trump still wanted to go to the capitol after knowing people in the crowd had assault rifles and body armor. As long as that can still be corroborated then wheel-gate doesn't matter.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Also pay attention to this repeated pattern by Trump loyalist.

*Some scandal or mini-controversy breaks out*

Trumper: "That's not true! I will gladly testify under oath".

*Waits for news cycle to move on*

Trumper: "Actually I won't be testifying..."

Ginny Thomas literally just did this today. After claiming she would gladly testify, once the spotlight left, she quietly backtracks from testifying. It's the same old pattern. I'm sure Trump World was freaking out and had "anonymous" sources calling reporters to refute the story and then even saying they'll testify under oath, simply to dampen the impact of the negative headline.

So until all the main principles are testifying under oath, I'm not reading too much into the media spin game. Also wheel-gate is probably one of the least important revelations today. The only real relevant thing about that situation was that Trump still wanted to go to the capitol after knowing people in the crowd had assault rifles and body armor. As long as that can still be corroborated then wheel-gate doesn't matter.
And that was something she heard first hand, not something someone told her later, which gives it more credence for sure.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
And that was something she heard first hand, not something someone told her later, which gives it more credence for sure.
Which Cheney followed up by specifically asking who she heard it from (Ornato) and if Engel was present when Ornato told her the story (which she said he was), and if he refuted any part of Ornato's recounting of the events (she said he didn't).

The narrative news media is gobbling up now is a standard Trump/GOP tactic of attacking small secondary parts of a credible witness to their crimes, but the questioning Cheney followed up with indicates that the purpose of bringing it up was more to establish the places/roles of Ornato and Engel in Trump's attempt to go to the Capitol than to specifically dwell on the events in the SUV.

Feb 14, 2018
Regarding the CNN reporter, it's much more likely that he was referring to the known story and simply misspoke as to the source - wrongly attributing it to the secret service themselves. The alternative is that the secret service called him personally, and only him, to confirm the anonymously-sourced story, and that he didn't think their official confirmation was worth passing on to anyone else at CNN, and no other outlet or journalist thought that new information was worth reporting.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
It absolutely wasn't, but that's the only thing our media is focusing on because they are a collective abject failure at their profession.
I've actually been pleasantly surprised by the headlines I've seen. Even top Reddit headlines seemed focused on multiple shocks from the testimony and not just the lunging part.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
The narrative news media is gobbling up now is a standard Trump/GOP tactic of attacking small secondary parts of a credible witness to their crimes, but the questioning Cheney followed up with indicates that the purpose of bringing it up was more to establish the places/roles of Ornato and Engel in Trump's attempt to go to the Capitol than to specifically dwell on the events in the SUV.

That's not really a Trump/GOP tactic specifically but one that has been used forever by everyone as means to spread their propaganda/rhetoric.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
Regarding the CNN reporter, it's much more likely that he was referring to the known story and simply misspoke as to the source - wrongly attributing it to the secret service themselves...

That's what I'm thinking as well. Pretty unprofessional stuff as there is a big difference between, "The Secret Service is saying" and "an anonymous source close to the Secret Service is saying" and that's a distinction that should be made 100% of the time on-air or in print by any media company.