• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
How is people's experiences flying within Japan? Because it seems cheaper than the shinkansen from what I can see :o

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Will be back from 8th May till 18th. This time we are a group of three. Shimanami Kaido will be done, but do we have a good chance without sightseeing on the island to do the Tour from Onomichi to Imabari in one day? We are not sports freaks, but 70km with breaks should be possible (we are prepared for hurting asses). Now i have to plan everything a bit tighter so that our third person will also see some typical tourism place but that is no problemo. :)

2 days tokyo
Onomichi and Imabari Tour
Osaka a day
Kyoto and back to Tokyo is the plan at the moment but that will surely change. Seeing most important things in kyoto in two days should work out if we are on foot the whole day hmmm

I am just there for the food (and maybe a Slime figure)

eltercero

Feb 3, 2018
Madrid
That's the same time I will be in Tokyo. I think most touristy places will be pretty crowded. But so will Tokyo.

Really? I've heard Tokyo will be less crowded since there are no people working and they usually leave to other places (except for very touristy places like Disneyland, etc). I was hoping the places near Tokyo wouldn't be too bad. Well, we'll see, I hope it's ok :\

mantis

Oct 25, 2017
Really? I've heard Tokyo will be less crowded since there are no people working and they usually leave to other places (except for very touristy places like Disneyland, etc). I was hoping the places near Tokyo wouldn't be too bad. Well, we'll see, I hope it's ok :\

Going to meet a friend and she warned about how crowded it will be.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

They're just using this company for devices:
https://ninjawifi.com/en/sp/

Some other places are better, but they're not the worst at least.

How is people's experiences flying within Japan? Because it seems cheaper than the shinkansen from what I can see :o

Yeah, it can be cheaper. Especially if you're just visiting one city (or if you can limit your time with a rail pass so you can use a 7 day instead of 14 cause you're flying 1 way, etc).
You should also factor in the cost of whatever local JR train costs you'll have wherever you're flying if comparing against an JR Pass.
Make sure to get flights from/to Haneda and not Narita if you're going from/to Tokyo.
If you're really tall it might be shitty cause a lot of domestic flights got way less leg room (like Ryanair in Europe or Spirit in the US)
There seems to be a higher chance of having delays than with shinkansen.
But other than that it's fine.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it can be cheaper. Especially if you're just visiting one city (or if you can limit your time with a rail pass so you can use a 7 day instead of 14 cause you're flying 1 way, etc).
You should also factor in the cost of whatever local JR train costs you'll have wherever you're flying if comparing against an JR Pass.
Make sure to get flights from/to Haneda and not Narita if you're going from/to Tokyo.
If you're really tall it might be shitty cause a lot of domestic flights got way less leg room (like Ryanair in Europe or Spirit in the US)
There seems to be a higher chance of having delays than with shinkansen.
But other than that it's fine.

The tickets I was looking at was 2 way. But thanks for the info man!

Jof

Nov 3, 2017
I don't really know what this is but it's going to be happening when I'm in Japan and I want to go;

It looks like it's a new 4D experience at Universal Studios Japan, starting May 31st and ending August 25th?

Looking through a rough Google translate of the website, I'd need first buy some form of ticket into Universal Studios Japan (Studio Day Pass?), and then also buy a ticket for this 4D thing (that includes other things?) separately from the web store (that might be on sale tomorrow 11 April?).

Anyone with a good grasp of Japanese that can help clear this up? :)

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone with a good grasp of Japanese that can help clear this up? :)

Cant help you there but I've been to Universal Osaka twice and both times you just lined up for whatever shows and 4D experiences they had on. Never experienced having to purchase an additional ticket for an attraction.

Jof

Nov 3, 2017
Cant help you there but I've been to Universal Osaka twice and both times you just lined up for whatever shows and 4D experiences they had on. Never experienced having to purchase an additional ticket for an attraction.

Ah! Looking at it a bit closer, it seems like it's the usual 'Express' pass that's on offer, so you can skip the lines. Seems like I should be good with a standard Day Pass, so long as I'm OK lining up?

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah! Looking at it a bit closer, it seems like it's the usual 'Express' pass that's on offer, so you can skip the lines. Seems like I should be good with a standard Day Pass, so long as I'm OK lining up?

Both times I went, it was in Mid-May on weekdays. None of the lines exceeded like 50 minutes and that was for the really popular stuff. If you're not stressed about just riding everything once or twice, you should be okay. Golden week might be much busier though if you're travelling around then.

Like I think the 4D experiences and the Jurassic Park roller coaster are the best things there, there's quite a lot that's more geared towards kids.

Ionitron

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
So, I'm assuming flying during the olympics is going to be a hot mess, would a month before have significant prices too? Should next year be avoided all together? My boyfriend and I wanted to visit but I"m a teacher so if I can't go next year we'd have to wait a whole year after : (

mantis

Oct 25, 2017
Doubt prices would increase too much one month before the Olympics. Certainly no reason to avoid Japan for the whole year because of it.

Good thing about the Olympics is that it takes place during July and August. Two months I try to avoid anyway because of the heat.

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
I'm currently in Japan and it's as beautiful as I hoped but the people are pretty disappointing too.

Damn, for how advanced some parts of their society are, they're so backwards on racism, I wasn't prepared for this.

Their reaction to foreigners is abysmal. They're polite on the surface but have noticed many red flags.

People that refuse to sit next to me on the train, people hiding their bags when they see I'm a gaijin, mockeries when I ask a question in a 711... They're excessively polite in places like restaurants but when you go off the beaten track, some cracks start to show.

Some figures and manga vendors also greet locals with a Irashaimassen but we gaijins only got a suspicious stare during our time in the store.

They can't speak English to save their lives most of the time.

They're supposed to be the center of the world several times in the near future and greet MANY gaijins with the G20, Rugby World Cup, Olympic Games, Universal exposition... they're not ready.

Of course all of this is my anecdotal opinion.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm currently in Japan and it's as beautiful as I hoped but the people are pretty disappointing too.

Damn, for how advanced some parts of their society are, they're so backwards on racism, I wasn't prepared for this.

Their reaction to foreigners is abysmal. They're polite on the surface but have noticed many red flags.

People that refuse to sit next to me on the train, people hiding their bags when they see I'm a gaijin, mockeries when I ask a question in a 711... They're excessively polite in places like restaurants but when you go off the beaten track, some cracks start to show.

Some figures and manga vendors also greet locals with a Irashaimassen but we gaijins only got a suspicious stare during our time in the store.

They're supposed to be the center of the world several times in the near future and greet MANY gaijins with the G20, Rugby World Cup, Olympic Games, Universal exposition... they're not ready.

I didn't have any of those problems at all in my travels there (two times so far). But I am also white as snow and German (and they notice that I am German, how? I always get asked If I am doitsu. Yeah they cannot speak English unlike other countries, but it always works out if you start with a bit of Japanese. Most of the time people will try to talk in English and you can even help them by talking the English word like a Japanese person e.g. try to say "I would like to have a sportsu drinku" and not "I would like to have a sports drink" that helps a lot (or always call Rice, Raisu). I am surprised that you don't hear Irashaimassen everywhere. :( I love the people over there and would trade them with most of mine here any time. They go out of their way to help you, are always polite and don't act like they are the only living person in the train/bus/street unlike my country. Of course I had some bad experiences too, but you got them everywhere in the world and not everything is cool and shiny.

RetroDLC

Oct 27, 2017

I've never had any issues during my previous two visits to the country (as a horizontally challenged British guy and obvious tourist), and it's wrong to presume people in a foreign country should speak English unless they are 1) capable, and 2) comfortable doing so in whatever situation they're in.

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
I've never had any issues during my previous two visits to the country (as a verticall challeneged British guy and obvious tourist), and it's wrong to presume people in a foreign country should speak English unless they are comfortable doing so.

I don't mean everyone in the street. I wouldn't ask for everyone in Japan to speak English, only people working at restaurants in touristic areas or even APA hotels.

On the other hand, I also often get the opposite problem when I ask questions in Japanese and they answer in English, it's very rude.

Tier

Oct 25, 2017
Kansas
Sucks my akiba day it was raining but still fun checking out the different stores. I tried to find some Sakura Wars stuff but no luck. I guess since the new one just got announced recently, after a long time of nothing, it's going to be hard finding some stuff for it huh?

RetroDLC

Oct 27, 2017
I don't mean everyone in the street. I wouldn't ask for everyone in Japan to speak English, only people working at restaurants in touristic areas or even APA hotels.
APA is a business hotel chain (also my favourite), they have clear English signage from my experience.

Anyway, I've decided to visit a coastal town named Choshi. Anyone here have experience with it?

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
But in my experience they do. Do you start with Japanese or English? That makes a whole lot of a difference.

Japanese as much as I can, English isn't even my native language but as soon as Japanese people see a foreigner, they assume he's an English speaker.

But the person at the APA hotel didn't know English and had to call her manager who kinda did speak English after 5 minutes of trying to ask for a bigger pillow.

RetroDLC

Oct 27, 2017
Japanese as much as I can, English isn't even my native language but as soon as Japanese people see a foreigner, they assume he's an English speaker.

But the person at the APA hotel didn't know English and had to call her manager who kinda did speak English after 5 minutes of trying to ask for a bigger pillow.
I once struggled slightly asking a book shop if they had a particular title (I only know common phrases and kanji used on public transport). I showed the book to them on my phone and used Google Translate to show them a sentence in English with a translation, and it went pretty smoothly afterward.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

APA surprises me cause their staff always was able to speak English fine, but maybe you just met them on a bad day. APA sucks btw.

The part about them assuming that you will just talk English is correct. I am still surprised that people avoid you a bit. Are you white? That could be the reason if you are not (sadly), but as you said it's not too obvious...but still bad.

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
APA surprises me cause their staff always was able to speak English fine, but maybe you just met them on a bad day. APA sucks btw.

The part about them assuming that you will just talk English is correct. I am still surprised that people avoid you a bit. Are you white? That could be the reason if you are not (sadly), but as you said it's not too obvious...but still bad.

I am white, with a beard. And my wife has red hair and tattoos ( that she tries to hide as much as she can).

We do stand out a little but still, I've seen many many non Asians here and we try to blend in as much as we can.

I'm staying at a place near Arashiyama that most tourists don't go to, so people aren't as used to seeing foreigners probably. That's where I noticed the most negative signals.

It's not all bad, I've met some extremely nice people too. I just get these bad looks everyday and I expected better.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am white, with a beard. And my wife has red hair and tattoos ( that she tries to hide as much as she can).

We do stand out a little but still, I've seen many many non Asians here and we try to blend in as much as we can.

I'm staying at a place near Arashiyama that most tourists don't go to, so people aren't as used to seeing foreigners probably. That's where I noticed the most negative signals.

It's not all bad, I've met some extremely nice people too. I just get these bad looks everyday and I expected better.

Really really strange then, but you shouldn't think too much of it. It doesn't even to be bad looks at all, but more like people surprised and interested in you. :) They also like to avoid any conflicts which is why some people will just avoid you at all.

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
Really really strange then, but you shouldn't think too much of it. It doesn't even to be bad looks at all, but more like people surprised and interested in you. :) They also like to avoid any conflicts which is why some people will just avoid you at all.

Maybe I heard too much about Japanese people and their politeness and when I realized they could be rude too, I was disappointed. Still, being afraid and avoiding foreigners on principle is NOT ok.

In the west, it wouldn't be OK so I don't see why there should be double standards here.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Maybe I heard too much about Japanese people and their politeness and when I realized they could be rude too, I was disappointed. Still, being afraid and avoiding foreigners on principle is NOT ok.

In the west, it wouldn't be OK so I don't see why there should be double standards here.

I must say I'm surprised by your experience. I've been twice - to Tokyo, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Miyajima and various places in Hokkaido and I never once felt like an unwelcome tourist and everyone I met was nothing other than polite and accommodating, even going out of their way to help me find places when we got a bit lost.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I really don't know what you experienced so far, but please do not compare eastern with western like this. If you are avoided all the time then I can understand you. Maybe you look to different compared to them and they are just afraid (which does not mean they have bad intentions)? There could be many reasons, but your experience sounds strange and you surely hold up the general rules (not talking loudly in trains or at all, being polite yourself etc.).

Laevateinn

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago

I've been to Japan six times and have only ever experienced what I would consider "racism" to gaijin once. We were at a festival and sat down to watch some enka singers and an old person near us quickly left to find somewhere further away. I haven't really done anything extremely rural but no matter where I've been I've felt welcome and haven't had any issues with the locals.

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone used the osaka amazing pass before? Wondering if its worth the price for the 2 day pass. I do like to take my time looking at things and try not rush around too much. So am not sure if I should buy the pass.

Kevinsky

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Hi I'll be living in Tokyo from May 2nd to the 13th. Managed to get Ghibli Museum tickets last night through Lawson, IT TOOK 40 MINUTES TO BOOK. Anyway I'm heavily considering getting a JR Tokyo Wide Pass to get some fresh air and escape the fellow tourists for the 8th through 10th. Anyone got recommended towns within the pass? Something serene but still fun maybe? I was thinking Enoshima, Lake Kawaguchi, and then something else.

Subpar Scrub

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Did you try writing "bigger pillow" in a translator to show them? You gotta meet them halfway, man.

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone used the osaka amazing pass before? Wondering if its worth the price for the 2 day pass. I do like to take my time looking at things and try not rush around too much. So am not sure if I should buy the pass.
Yes, we used the 2 day amazig pass and it was "amazing." We definitely saved money by using the pass, especially when going to more expensive places like the the Umeda Sky building, Tempozan ferris wheel, etc. Having free access to transport all over the city is also a great saver and the guide book that you get with the pass has great maps that made navigating the city easier. You just pick and choose what you want to see and use the pass for that. There are some time restrictions for some attractions, so check out the website to see if this will conflict with your schedule. But overall, it was pretty open and a great value.

Frunkle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, we used the 2 day amazig pass and it was "amazing." We definitely saved money by using the pass, especially when going to more expensive places like the the Umeda Sky building, Tempozan ferris wheel, etc. Having free access to transport all over the city is also a great saver and the guide book that you get with the pass has great maps that made navigating the city easier. You just pick and choose what you want to see and use the pass for that. There are some time restrictions for some attractions, so check out the website to see if this will conflict with your schedule. But overall, it was pretty open and a great value.

How much does the Amazing pass cost? 2 days in osaka doesn't sound bad...

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017
How much does the Amazing pass cost? 2 days in osaka doesn't sound bad...
It is 3600 yen which is about 32 dollars US. Just going to 2 attractions and using the included subway/train ticket (the amazing pass itself is used as a transit pass) basically pays for itself. Plus you can get discounts at certain stores etc. We found it to be a no brainer. We had JR passes for our trip but most of the trains in Osaka were not part of JR, so the amazing pass filled the gap to make getting around easy.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...n-from-popular-luxury-cruise-trains-site.html

Kyushu Railway Co. said Friday that personal and credit information on up to 8,000 customers were stolen from the goods store website for its "Seven Stars in Kyushu" luxury cruise train.

The leaked information includes customers' names, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, date of birth and type of work, according to JR Kyushu. Credit card numbers, security codes and expiration dates of up to 2,800 customers were also stolen.

The website may have been hacked between Oct. 5, 2013 and March 11, 2019, when it was shut down after the discovery, said the company, which offers the popular train service on the southern mainland island of Kyushu.

Just in case anybody here took it, but probably not :p

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Those little girls in the streets in Akihabara are creeping me the fuck out. How is that shit even legal.

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
it inspired me to do things and gave me ideas for things to do and saved me money. i think i used the 2 day pass for a little over a day and I thought it was worth it.

Oct 28, 2017
The stand out for me is the Umeda sky building. How long do they let you stay up there? I think last entry with the pass is 6pm and would like to be up there during sunset which is around 6.30.

Darth Pinche

Oct 27, 2017
The stand out for me is the Umeda sky building. How long do they let you stay up there? I think last entry with the pass is 6pm and would like to be up there during sunset which is around 6.30.
There was no limit when we went. We did what you're proposing. Went up 30 min before sunset right before the cut off and hung out watching the sun go down, having coffee and snacks up there leisurely.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Trip to Mt. Fuji turns out to be a goddamn nightmare. Super crowded in the trains and at the chureito pagoda and then they didn't even mention on the website that there's no pink moss at the Shiba Sakura site. Fuck!

Tier

Oct 25, 2017
Kansas
k3dfAyk.jpg
We checked out of our ryokan this morning and was able to see Mt Fuji on the rooftop with pretty much no clouds in the way. So pretty.

Trip to Mt. Fuji turns out to be a goddamn nightmare. Super crowded in the trains and at the chureito pagoda and then they didn't even mention on the website that there's no pink moss at the Shiba Sakura site. Fuck!

Lol. I think we saw a notice in the Kawaguchiko Station about that. But since there was no moss it was free to enter or something.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Oh yeah the guys at the station were sorry in the most Japanese way but fuck just give me a heads up on the website so I don't come all the way down from Tokyo lol.