• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Any recommended bars in roppongi? Going in a bit.

Mist is kinda sleezy and you'll probably have to stand up, but it's a great pre-party place as they have a ridiculously cheap (and legit) all-you-can-drink happy hour.

Tbh party is all I've done in Roppongi, I prefer less gaijin-infested places for bars :b

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
What are the good clubs in Tokyo?

No such thing. Tokyo has everything but good clubs.

Seriously though, I've been to a lot of them and they're all pretty same-y, so it kinda just depends on what music you like. DiA is pretty nice imo, and usually it's not as expensive as many other clubs. AgeHa is a little pricier but their sound system phenomenal and their dj's are pretty good. AgeHa is huge too. It's a little too big for its own good though, it often feels empty even though it's not. Over-all the club scene isn't very big in Japan, but there are plenty of clubs in Roppongi and Shibuya that quite frankly are same-same-but-different-but-still-same.

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
I have a MASSIVE recommendation for anyone going to Kyoto

A bar called Game Bar Clantz

You go in and they have MULTIPLE PS3/PS4/360/WiiU setups and you can just choose a game off the shelf and play while having a drink.

Ive been running P4Arena and Tekken 7 sets all night while an 8 player Smash match happened behind me

It's fucking awesome

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Violet (0_0) Hope ya have yer vaccinations in order ;p

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...ng-threat-tourism-ahead-golden-week-holidays/

Reports of measles continue to rise in Okinawa Prefecture, a popular tourist destination, with 65 patients registered over a one-month period through Thursday, the prefectural government said.

The prefectural government warns on its website that those planning to visit Okinawa should check if they have received vaccinations. "It's hard to say with confidence please come to (Okinawa)," said a government source.

exhume

Oct 25, 2017
A rather specific question, but has anyone ordered secondhand goods from Amazon Japan and had them delivered either to their Airbnb or nearby convenience store? A lot of the artbooks and Nendoroids I'm chasing are listed for pretty good prices and I'm considering buying them (and hoping they reach me before my 10 day trip is up!)

Also related, are there any specific stores in Tokyo that are known for their Nendo ranges? ^_^

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
A rather specific question, but has anyone ordered secondhand goods from Amazon Japan and had them delivered either to their Airbnb or nearby convenience store? A lot of the artbooks and Nendoroids I'm chasing are listed for pretty good prices and I'm considering buying them (and hoping they reach me before my 10 day trip is up!)

I did the conbini delivery. You may want to order it before you leave for Japan--they'll hold the package.

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a Tokyo / Kyoto specific site that shows me what's happening in the city on those days?

Like the Japanese equivalent of Timeout we have here in London.

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
damn even though we been kinda planning for a while but now that we got our flight tickets and rooms booked, it is still overwhelming to plan the sightseeing and activities lol. December is still long ways to go but doesn't feel like i have lots of time.

anywho... i'm getting the osaka citypass for 1 day and was searching for Hakone and Tokyo but can't seem to find any. I'm spending the night at Hakone in a ryokan. thanks!!!

Ionitron

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I just fucking bought tickets to go to Japan in June holy shit.

AHHH.

I'm going for two weeks and staying with a friend in Fukushima.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We got to do NY Bar at the Park Hyatt last night and we were sitting literally right next to the band playing. Very cool.

Which one was this at? I'm staying at the Park Hyatt Shinjuku for like a week on my next trip.

I have a MASSIVE recommendation for anyone going to Kyoto

A bar called Game Bar Clantz

Neat! I'm gonna be there for around 4 days, so I'll make sure to check it out with some mates

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
New York Bar is great! Can't beat the view and the ambiance. The cover and service charges are pretty high though. I really liked the Manhattan they make, but definitely don't get an Old Fashioned (either of them).

The best cocktail bar I've ever been to is Bar Benfiddich in Shinjuku, hands down. Anyone who appreciates a good cocktail needs to go there at least once.

Ys45

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone,

So I'm probably going back to Tokyo in July, I was wondering if anyone know a good hotel with rooms with nice view on the city ?
I know it's very specific but I always wanted to have a room with a nice view of Tokyo, I could enjoy a nice drink at night while watching the scenery :)

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
Is it a good idea to buy a cellphone here in Japan? Anyone knows if they are cheaper than abroad?

Deleted member 8433

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Got to Kyoto yesterday after spending the first half of the trip in Tokyo and wow is it fantastic here.

Not that Tokyo is not one of the greatest cities I've ever visited but I absolutely love it in Kyoto.

The people, the environment, the life, the food, the fact that in not elbowing someone every 5 minutes puts it above Tokyo

Last edited:

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it a good idea to buy a cellphone here in Japan? Anyone knows if they are cheaper than abroad?

Just search for the price in Japan and the price in your home country and compare.

The people, the environment, the life, the food, the fact that in not elbowing someone every 5 minutes puts it above Tokyo

I totally agree. Any given street in Kyoto feels a lot more... "local small town" than most in Tokyo, even though it's still a massive city. I definitely feel more relaxed in Kyoto.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be visiting Tokyo in Sept and I was hoping some one could point me in a direction on where to look to buy a Sukajan. I want to bring one back for my brother and have been doing some research but if some one here has bought one and could share some location recommendations I'd appreciate it. I'm looking to spend around $250 on one if that helps any.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
I'll be visiting Tokyo in Sept and I was hoping some one could point me in a direction on where to look to buy a Sukajan. I want to bring one back for my brother and have been doing some research but if some one here has bought one and could share some location recommendations I'd appreciate it. I'm looking to spend around $250 on one if that helps any.

I remember seeing a few places stocking these last time I visited Nakano Broadway, which may let you kill two birds with one stone.
I also saw a lot of them in Shimokitazawa.

I saw boatloads of shops with them In Osaka too, but that don't help you much.

Deleted member 3862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone done any fishing in Japan? I wouldn't mind taking the boy when we go on our trip, but I don't know anything about licensing requirements, renting equipment there, etc

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...ial-recognition-tech-shorten-arrival-process/

Facial recognition technology will be deployed at major airports in fiscal 2019 to screen foreign visitors as they leave Japan, a Justice Ministry official said Monday.

Similar gates are being used at Tokyo's Haneda airport to screen returning Japanese, but the new plan will allow the Immigration Bureau to allocate more human resources to the processing of foreign arrivals, shortening waiting times, the official said. They also said it would allow more immigration staff to be tasked with counterterrorism duties ahead of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

There may not be enough of the new gates to go around at first, but it eventually plans to increase the number of gates to 137 from three. The details of the system will be hammered out by the end of next March, the official said.

In addition to Haneda, the gates will be installed at Narita airport, Chubu International Airport in Aichi Prefecture, Kansai International Airport in Osaka and Fukuoka Airport later this year.

Will hopefully get rid of some of the arrival lines at NRT next spring then :p

Oct 27, 2017
I remember seeing a few places stocking these last time I visited Nakano Broadway, which may let you kill two birds with one stone.
I also saw a lot of them in Shimokitazawa.

I saw boatloads of shops with them In Osaka too, but that don't help you much.

Thanks, will definetly check around there. Osaka might be an option as well. The group I'm in wants to travel around to other cities and visit Mt. Fujii so we're in the process of figuring out how to get around. Two of us have our Int. license and are thinking of maybe renting a car so we can take our time as we'll be in Japan for 11 days.

Anyone try renting a car to get around? Only thing I'm worried about is figuring out the toll roads. So far it looks like it'd be the cheaper option to rent a car and split the price of gas and toll roads 4 ways and ling drives is no biggie. I'm always driving from San Diego to San Francisco so 8+ hour drives are fine by me and I Love driving anyways. If you guys think it's a horrible Idea though I'd appreciate a heads up.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
had an amazing day in Osaka yesterday. we rented bicycles from the hostel and explored the whole city. gf is loving it!

now we are in between morning commuters and school kids heading for Mount Koya. planned a 5h hike up there, pew

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017

compared to the UK they're usually quite a bit cheaper (especially with no tax), but I was put off buying an iphone as I think they only have a Japanese warranty - ipads etc have global warranty (and are also a lot cheaper than UK so I'll try only to buy from Japan in the future). Also worth checking what bands they use, just in case a particular model doesn't cover the correct 4G frequencies for your country.

With the combination of both of those factors, I found it not worth bothering.

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
had an amazing day in Osaka yesterday. we rented bicycles from the hostel and explored the whole city. gf is loving it!

now we are in between morning commuters and school kids heading for Mount Koya. planned a 5h hike up there, pew
REALLY interested to hear what you think of Mt Koya. My GF has really been going on about that.

Also, what did you like best in Osaka? Other than visiting Den Den town, my day there has nothing on it.

Oct 25, 2017
So I kind of made a snap decision on the weekend to go to Tokyo on Thursday because I have a bit of time off work, I'll be back at work on my birthday so decided to travel, even if by myself.

Anyone know of any events on at the moment that I should check out? I don't really have much planned except to try to get to the fish market this time and to drink lots of beer (I saw something about a BBQ and beer festival so that's on the list for me).

mantis

Oct 25, 2017
The ones with the AU network. I only see them mention fair usage. No specifics about the limits.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
The ones with the AU network. I only see them mention fair usage. No specifics about the limits.

The top (most expensive) au one got the 10GB/3 day throttle:
In order to maintain network quality, cellular company has the right to decrease your connection speed to 1mbps during peak hours (6PM-2AM) if 10GB data is quickly consumed in three days.

The bottom (cheapest) au one got a speed limit of 1 Mbps up/down in the description.

mantis

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. Guess I am blind for not seeing it. :D

Will try it out anyway for a few days. To compare it to the one I already have ordered.

Could still be useful for my next trip in December. Will travel with some friends who have never been in Japan. So having more Pocket Wifi could come handy.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
REALLY interested to hear what you think of Mt Koya. My GF has really been going on about that.

Also, what did you like best in Osaka? Other than visiting Den Den town, my day there has nothing on it.

Koyasan was really impressive. The hike ended up to take us almost 8 - admittedly beautiful - hours. when we were getting really tired we suddenly stood before the massive gate to the precinct. from there its one shrine, monastery, temple after another. you lodge in temples there and they are basically ryokans. we stayed at Fukuchiin which is apparently well known for its hot baths. and boy were they a blessing after the hike. I'd absolutly recommend the whole thing and wished we had planned at least two nights.

I thought Osaka was alright. we were able to get bikes from the hostel for free which was great. I liked Shinsekai and dotombori the most probably, didnt went to den den town. I did have to drag my gf out of one of the "vintage" arcades in Shinsekai. they were pretty neat with all the oldschool machines.

Last edited:

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
compared to the UK they're usually quite a bit cheaper (especially with no tax), but I was put off buying an iphone as I think they only have a Japanese warranty - ipads etc have global warranty (and are also a lot cheaper than UK so I'll try only to buy from Japan in the future). Also worth checking what bands they use, just in case a particular model doesn't cover the correct 4G frequencies for your country.

With the combination of both of those factors, I found it not worth bothering.

Thanks for the heads up. Really appreciate it.